Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2018, 20:14   #26806
BHPian

Since we are on the topic of autorickshaws, a video I came across in fb on accidents caused by random behaviours of auto drivers:

https://www.facebook.com/1129967918/...6140686606469/
Old 27th July 2018, 00:45   #26807
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
If the vehicle on 3 wheels cannot be banned by the MVD, ATLEAST force it to be given a steering (small wheel, without power steering mechanism) instead of a handlebar and slow down the rate of change of direction
1. Force Tempo Minidor
2. Mahindra Champion
3. Vikram 450D
4. KAL (Kerala Automobiles Ltd) had a model with steering wheel
and some less prominent models.

In the south, Chennai share autos in the Nungambakkam area were mostly Minidor or Mahindra Champions, and they made way to Tata Magic and the odd Ape or Force Trump 4-wheeler.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 00:52   #26808
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this accident today, en route Patratu. The young chap was on a Pulsar 220, in the wrong lane, without helmet and going too fast. Spot death.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180726wa0020.jpg

While I don't have sympathy with such people, seeing so much blood flowing on the road surely took a toll on my mood.
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 10:12   #26809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Saw this accident today, en route Patratu. The young chap was on a Pulsar 220, in the wrong lane, without helmet and going too fast. Spot death.

Attachment 1784411

While I don't have sympathy with such people, seeing so much blood flowing on the road surely took a toll on my mood.
The stupidity of people has no bounds. I get very angry when I see two wheelers drive on the wrong side of the road. They do that even in the stretch in Bangalore from Dairy circle where there is so much traffic.

We need to have more cameras around cities and high fines to stop such behavior. Hit the pockets hard!
bhpfaninblr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 15:09   #26810
BHPian

Quote:

Many of us must have observed this:- The person on the wrong side of the law will always use strong arm tactics. So, Camera's, Fines are not a deterrant for them as they never end up paying. It's only the law abiding person, who occasionally does the mistake, pays up the Fines.

The hero-ism in doing wrong things and not facing the law has been inculcated from our Law makers, irrespective of Party. So, If the head of an institution follows rules, then automatically, every citizen, follows downstream.

If you try to correct these persons, you'll be beaten up.
jaaz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 15:15   #26811
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Darwin's law. End of story here. I'd only feel bad for whoever he hit - their injuries/mental agony is unfortunate through no fault of their own.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 17:33   #26812
BHPian

Quote:

I hope no innocent person got jailed because he was driving a bigger vehicle then Pulsar, because in India the size of the vehicle decides who's fault it is.
Engine_Roars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 21:17   #26813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
The stupidity of people has no bounds. I get very angry when I see two wheelers drive on the wrong side of the road.!

I have experienced this so many times and had a few confrontations. Once I was very pissed at 4 people riding on one bike opposite side at Dharavi who cut in front of my car and almost lost balance. I rolled down my window and said "Marna hai toh aur kisi ke neeche mar Meri gaadi kyon? ( If you want to die ram in something else why my car?)

They got embarrassed and left. I have used this line many times after that and no one argues just ride away!
tazmaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2018, 15:59   #26814
Senior - BHPian

Bus accident on Mumbai Goa highway leaves 30 dead - https://www.deccanchronicle.com/nati...-notifications
Old 28th July 2018, 21:10   #26815
Distinguished - BHPian

A Jeep Compass accident tragically took away the life of a young Army Officer, Captain Kshitij Kalia, aged 28, who was behind the wheel. The message with images (one news report dated 24.07.2018) was received from an Army officer's Whats App Group.

Quote:
*Info from unit offr on another group*

Gentlemen,
The officer who lost his life in the unfortunate car accident was from my regiment. He was the Adjutant and a fine young man. Only child of his parents. The officer was granted leave on Saturday and he took off for Kasol in his vehicle, a Jeep Compass, given to him by his doting father. He was habitual of driving at night and was on his way to Delhi when this mishap happened at 0400 hrs yesterday, when he went into a stationary truck at a very high speed. The officer was wearing his seat belt and the air bags etc too deployed, albeit the speed was such that the vehicle went underneath the truck. His co-passenger, a Major serving in RR was sleeping at the time on the co-driver seat with his seat in fully reclined position. Consequently, the impact of the accident caused head injury to the officers driving, while the co-driver was miraculously unhurt since the portion of the stationary truck went over him. They were trapped. The truck driver ran away. No one came to their assistance for an hour or so. The co passenger managed to come out with help of people who stopped after daybreak. The rescue was organized, including dispatch of an ALH with medical support to take him from Kurukshetra to Chandimandir. All in vain.

We had a military funeral last evening at Dwarka. Being the only child, the scenario can be visualized.

I wish for Kshitij to rest in peace.

I also wish to request you all to educate the young men and women to be careful while driving. The new generation vehicles are powerful. Our roads are still not up to the Western standards where 70 MPH is the norm in slow lane. Life is precious. We cannot have our young men and women losing life, future, career etc in this manner. The untold and unimaginable misery for the people left behind is another issue altogether.
RIP, in Valhalla, Kshitij.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180726wa0029.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180726wa0030.jpg

More details on these links:

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...TqJYtnSsI.html

https://www.jagran.com/haryana/kuruk...-18235395.html

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 28th July 2018 at 21:18.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 00:19   #26816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
A Jeep Compass accident tragically took away the life of a young Army Officer, Captain Kshitij Kalia, aged 28, who was behind the wheel.
The impact on Compass from the image is grusome. The car must have been at very high speeds or the truck driver had parked his truck on an active lane ignorantly like we have seen plenty or combination of both. RIP.
Old 29th July 2018, 10:55   #26817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
The impact on Compass from the image is grusome. The car must have been at very high speeds or the truck driver had parked his truck on an active lane ignorantly like we have seen plenty or combination of both. RIP.
Tells the importance of avoiding night driving where-ever possible. The article says the young captain had a habit of driving through the night.

A bit careless by the young man to drive at high speeds and not worry about parked vehicles. May his soul rest in peace
bhpfaninblr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 13:31   #26818
BHPian

Quote:
Tells the importance of avoiding night driving where-ever possible.
Having driven frequently during nights on both NH1 and NH8, I am all too wary to stick to leftmost or sometimes rightmost lane, where there is bigger possibility of finding these 'stationary' trucks without any warning or indicator.
So, guys, drive at a notch lesser and actively look for parked vehicles. It's heart-rending to see so many similar accidents keep happening on these two roads and inability to do something about it. Especially as these are not active mistakes, rather unforced errors which are totally avoidable.
I know its easy to fault car drivers but, in my experience, it is very very hard to spot stationary vehicles in unlit areas, unless one is actively looking for those. I do because it has been ingrained by my truck driver driving instructor.
atnyia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 14:53   #26819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A bit careless by the young man to drive at high speeds and not worry about parked vehicles. May his soul rest in peace
How can you be sure that he was doing high speeds? Hindsight is a genius but what pains me and drives me up the wall everytime I read a news like this is how many lives can be saved if the government passes a simple mandate which makes it mandatory for trucks to install under run bars and then enforce it. The so called future superpower and we can even get the basics right.
extreme_torque is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 15:34   #26820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Hindsight is a genius but what pains me and drives me up the wall everytime I read a news like this is how many lives can be saved if the government passes a simple mandate which makes it mandatory for trucks to install under run bars and then enforce it.
Adding to it, law to have mandatory Under run bars in trucks is already in place. Problem is enforcement. Most trucks will not have these , or the ones which are there do not meet technical norms and are thus useless in high impact scenarios. Another bigger problem in case of trucks/buses is not having working tail lamps/brake lights. this infact is the root cause of such collisions.
Indian truck manufacturers have sadly given a blind eye to this problem as under run bars meeting standard norms can easily be a factory fitment. Also most commercial vehicles are fitted with very poor quality / design brake lights to save cost!

Last edited by jaspal singh : 29th July 2018 at 15:37.
jaspal singh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks