Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2018, 15:07   #26956
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Today morning came across this strange accident near my home in Anand City.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Looks like the truck has hit a protruding log which got into the cabin and it got dragged with the truck. This has led to the trailer turning over. This type of overloading is quite common everywhere, loading stuff way beyond the length of trailer, like steel rods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Sheesh! Reminds me of that scene from that Final Destination movie. Thank god it was not a car, else that log would have pulverized the passengers!
I agree with BoneCollector. Such type of tree truck carrying in protruding manner is very common near Anand/Nadiad. I lived in Nadiad for 4 years during my college & could have been victim of this illegal practice of carrying woods in protruding manner. I was riding from Nadiad to Uttarsanda during midnight on Honda Unicorn. The road is quite curvy, two lanes & non-illuminated as you might now. My speed was around 50kmph & after taking one curve, I was surprised to see tree trunks just a few feet away from my head. I braked as hard as I could. I was lucky to have two fingers already on front break liver when I spotted them; didn't even have time to release accelerator. Just pulled the break liver & clutch liver simultaneously. The bike stopped just a few centimeters (literally!) before the protruding trunks. To my surprise, trunks were getting carried by a camel cart at maybe 4-6 kmph. There was no reflector at all anywhere!
Cars usually do 80-100kmph on that road. If someone was coming behind me, I could have easily sandwiched between them.
Old 13th August 2018, 15:32   #26957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Kottiyam accident, in which a KeSRTC bus collided head-on with a truck.
The footage shows the bus wandering out of its lane for no reason and ramming into the truck. Very apparently, the bus driver had a momentary lapse and dozed off at the wheel.

The truck driver was in an absolutely helpless position to prevent the collision. Just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

A very stark example of the perils of falling asleep at the wheel, an ever present danger on our highways (or any highway for that matter).

Last edited by for_cars1 : 13th August 2018 at 15:34.
for_cars1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 16:55   #26958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Looks like the truck has hit a protruding log which got into the cabin and it got dragged with the truck. This has led to the trailer turning over. This type of overloading is quite common everywhere, loading stuff way beyond the length of trailer, like steel rods.
And they were moving in opposite direction.
Old 13th August 2018, 17:50   #26959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Mathrubhumi has published the CCTV footage of this morning's Kottiyam accident, in which a KSRTC bus collided head-on with a truck.
I had almost the same situation a year back at the very same spot, except that I I didn’t crash. Late at night and was bringing my Uncle back home from the nearby KIMS hospital, for which I limited my speed to 50 kmph, despite the empty road. As soon as I entered that bridge, a biker (a Platina, I remember) came surging towards me, closing gaps in between us. “Here comes my second mishap with a biker”, I fathomed as it seemed impossible to avoid. I dabbed the horn, which jolted him and he managed to swerve away from me, letting both of us go unscathed - all these in a flash, although I still can remember every sequence of those 3 seconds even today!

Had it not been for my Uncle, who was resting at the rear seat, I’d have done atleast 80 kmph there. The aforementioned story would have been different if so I did that speed. Unfortunately though, my dashcam had gone kaput then.
E = mc˛ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 22:06   #26960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
A speeding two-wheeler was struck and they fell. They were quick to call the cops.
Although as you've mentioned later that the car was taking a right, but was waiting for the bike to cross - then there is absolutely no way for the bike to know that someone can open the door. This is completely the fault of the occupants of the car and it actually can prove quite fatal for bikers. In the same situation, I would always wait for the car to complete the turn and then go ahead, just for my safety.

Let me stress again, it is your responsibility to open the door only when it's safe to do so. That's why we open doors which face the curb rather than which are towards traffic. I am absolutely scared to bits when I am passing a car, which is stationary and a moron sitting inside, wanting to get out, not knowing basics. I have had very close shaves in the past, one of my friends was injured gravely this way too.

However, to take advantage of that situation - is sub-human behavior. All he had to do was ask your neighbor to take care of the costs associated. It's sad but unfortunately that's the reality of the situation.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 13th August 2018 at 22:26.
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 09:47   #26961
Senior - BHPian

Another accident in Kerala. From the video appearing on this page, it looks like the driver of the bus was distracted or fell asleep.

The driver and the conductor of the bus and the driver of the truck unfortunately lost their lives. 14 injured out of which two are critically injured as per the newspaper article.
pjbiju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 11:18   #26962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Another accident in Kerala. From the video appearing on this page, it looks like the driver of the bus was distracted or fell asleep.
Some pics from todays newspaper of the accident in Kerala (Kollam) involving KeSRTC bus and a truck. From the video it looks like the bus driver got distracted/asleep causing the fatal accident.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20180814_111211.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20180814_111125.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20180814_111158.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20180814_111145.jpg

Edit: Adding YouTube link of CCTV recording.

Last edited by Flyer : 14th August 2018 at 11:42. Reason: Adding YouTube link
Flyer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 11:34   #26963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
Some pics
Though the pics are sad to see, even worse is the cellphones peeping out & dying to take a pic of the accident & probably making the recovery operations more difficult. Though only 6 or 7 here but sure there would have been many, came & gone. What purpose do these images serve on a later date.
I really don't understand, what will people do of these images as these are not their pics with some superstar. Only use I guess will be to circulate on social media (which will be there already in millions in number & millions of angles)- just depicting :I have been there: - sic

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 14th August 2018 at 11:39.
saurabh2711 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 11:53   #26964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
Edit: Adding YouTube link of CCTV recording.
[/url]
Clearly the fault of the bus driver. Must be an idiot to go and collide with an oncoming truck. We need more one-way lanes to prevent accidents by these idiots. Banging another vehicle head-on on the opposite side - must be an idiotic driver
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 11:53   #26965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
Though the pics are sad to see, even worse is the cellphones peeping out & dying to take a pic of the accident & probably making the recovery operations more difficult. ...
True that. Here in Germany, such "on-lookers" ended up themselves in an accident and since then the emergency services cover the accident scene and even if some truckers or passing vehicles try to take pics, they are immediately or via legal notice fined. There is a rule to punish such offenders (trying to take pics of the accident site, not focussing on the road ahead).

The truck driver seemed to have tried to avoid a head-on collision till the last moment. Very unfortunate and sad. In such conditions, the new technology introduced in the TN SETC buses could have proven life saving. The latest batch of buses have been provided with collision avoidance braking system (Radar based) and driver monitoring systems (that alerts the drivers via audible signal when his eyes are closed longer than 4 secs.). Why not make such assistance systems mandatory for heavy CV. This would not only save our lives but also assist those drivers who spend long hours behind the wheel.
AlphaKilo is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 00:06   #26966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
Clearly the fault of the bus driver. Must be an idiot to go and collide with an oncoming truck. We need more one-way lanes to prevent accidents by these idiots. Banging another vehicle head-on on the opposite side - must be an idiotic driver
Bus driver would have fallen asleep for sure and from the light, it seems to be dawn.

Last night while on a road trip in the US, our rental van driver kept dozing off on a empty interstate late into the night. I was wide awake and in the third row and was keeping a watch.
Thankfully the roads here have the rumble steps on the edge of the road for this very purpose as well as all the bridges have concrete which has lines across so when a vehicle goes on them, it creates a loud whine which again is a good thing to keep the driver awake.

On Indian roads, with all the digging and potholes, this may not be possible but I realized here how efficient and simple this was to alert a sleepy driver.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 11:40   #26967
Senior - BHPian

Baleno hits road divider resulting in death of passenger in Mangalore. While I don't know what speed the car was doing, more and more incidents like these, I am losing confidence on current crop of Maruti cars, though I love how their cars look and the practicality they offer.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-baleno.jpg
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 12:20   #26968
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Baleno hits road divider resulting in death of passenger in Mangalore. While I don't know what speed the car was doing, more and more incidents like these, I am losing confidence on current crop of Maruti cars
This would certainly be at high speeds given the way the car has got mangled. I doubt if any other car would have fared any different. People need to respect the speed limits or else such results are expected regardless of what car they are in.
drmohitg is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 13:00   #26969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Baleno hits road divider resulting in death of passenger in Mangalore. While I don't know what speed the car was doing, more and more incidents like these, I am losing confidence on current crop of Maruti cars, though I love how their cars look and the practicality they offer.
Was the passenger belted up? I can say with 99.9% confidence that he/she was not belted up.
If not belted up, passenger would have died no matter which car he/she was sitting in when it crashed. I don't think this particular crash calls for Baleno-bashing.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 13:44   #26970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
This would certainly be at high speeds given the way the car has got mangled. I doubt if any other car would have fared any different. People need to respect the speed limits or else such results are expected regardless of what car they are in.
The car was probably being driven at slow to moderate speeds as it was raining cats and dogs and night time visibility would have been low. The driver mostly lost balance due to aquaplaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Was the passenger belted up? I can say with 99.9% confidence that he/she was not belted up.
If not belted up, passenger would have died no matter which car he/she was sitting in when it crashed. I don't think this particular crash calls for Baleno-bashing.
You are right, looks like passenger was not belted. He was thrown out of car and died as the bus ran over him. Call it psychological, after two recent incidents involving my Family with Baleno, I am losing confidence. 3 Star safety rating is something positive though .
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks