Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2018, 11:25   #27016
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

3 people died in this accident in the Bangalore - Mangalore highway as per NDTV. Details are very sketchy.
13 people in an SUV. Tyre burst is the alleged initial reason. There was a rollover. They haven't mentioned what SUV and if the occupants wore seat belts. No pictures in the article. Are any of you aware of more details? I don't want to comment on the number of occupants or seat belts till there is more details.
https://www.ndtv.com/bangalore-news/...akamai-rum=off
Old 24th August 2018, 12:17   #27017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
3 people died in this accident in the Bangalore - Mangalore highway as per NDTV. Details are very sketchy.
13 people in an SUV. Tyre burst is the alleged initial reason. There was a rollover. They haven't mentioned what SUV and if the occupants wore seat belts. No pictures in the article. Are any of you aware of more details? I don't want to comment on the number of occupants or seat belts till there is more details.
https://www.ndtv.com/bangalore-news/...akamai-rum=off
It was a Scorpio Getaway pickup.
Another new article has a pic of the damaged Scorpio.http://www.newindianexpress.com/citi...d-1861503.html
Old 24th August 2018, 12:18   #27018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
This happened in front of my vehicle on Outer Ring Road, near Prestige Tech Park, Kadubeesanahalli. Although not sure why the biker lost control, I saw momentary distraction on his part as one scooter lady in front touched the blue Honda Brio slightly. It could also be due to improper usage of the front brake.
There are parallel dark streaks with left one being darker, probably due to the truck which is seen far off, possibly use for ferrying construction sand, which is wet and that streaks are dribbling water from the truck. It also should contain some fine sand/soil particles, coupling with the front brake locking would have led to the bike skidding and falling.

Last edited by aadya : 24th August 2018 at 12:25. Reason: additional info.
aadya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 12:34   #27019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
You got it right. It's mainly because of the front brakes being applied. I can make out that he just used the front brakes and it being a disc, he lost control as the front tyre locked abruptly.

I remember dropping the bike to my right, when I wanted to make a U - turn and using just the front brakes to control.
Would having ABS on the bike helped here? I have heard many tell me that ABS is not needed in the city, but this video is a good example of why that is a wrong notion.
Old 24th August 2018, 13:10   #27020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Although not sure why the biker lost control. It could also be due to improper usage of the front brake.
You can see a minor streak of water, this has caused the bike to skid upon applying an emergency front brake. Small amount of water/sand can make the bike to lose traction.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th August 2018 at 13:52. Reason: Removing Youtube link from quoted post, affects readability. Thanks.
Old 24th August 2018, 14:38   #27021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Would having ABS on the bike helped here? I have heard many tell me that ABS is not needed in the city, but this video is a good example of why that is a wrong notion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Horses View Post
You can see a minor streak of water, this has caused the bike to skid upon applying an emergency front brake. Small amount of water/sand can make the bike to lose traction.
ABS can kick in at walking speeds - first hand experience is here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...-slippery.html
Old 24th August 2018, 15:57   #27022
BHPian

Quote:
I don't understand how the speeding 2-wheeler didn't see the 2 wheeler stopped on the left side? Its not that his vision has been hindered by some big vehicle in the front.
Based on the experience, the vision was affected due to not wearing helmet. Most people forget that the helmets have visor which reflects the wind. At high speed with the wind coming straight to your eyes, you will never be able to see properly. This was one of the reasons for me to wear and ask my kid in front to wear helmets with visor.
Rabbit80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 17:32   #27023
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not saying ABS doesnt help, but in the incident there, the issue is not locking up of the front wheel but balance shift. When he slammed the front brake, the handlebar was turned right side to avoid the car. When the handle bar is turned towards one side and the front brakes are used, the bike tends to lean towards that side. Hence, the bike immediately leaned to the right and he couldn't place his foot down in time. Hence you see the immediate fall. Even if ABS Kicked in at such a situation, the braking force would have still caused the bike to lean to the side.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 17:50   #27024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Not saying ABS doesnt help, but in the incident there, the issue is not locking up of the front wheel but balance shift. When he slammed the front brake, the handlebar was turned right side to avoid the car. When the handle bar is turned towards one side and the front brakes are used, the bike tends to lean towards that side. Hence, the bike immediately leaned to the right and he couldn't place his foot down in time. Hence you see the immediate fall. Even if ABS Kicked in at such a situation, the braking force would have still caused the bike to lean to the side.
Sorry, not to beat a dead-horse. But I have been contemplating buying a bike and have ABS a must-have criteria as against several opinions on this thread.

Doesn't ABS distribute the braking force between the front and back so that you can actually steer to safety?
Old 24th August 2018, 18:50   #27025
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Doesn't ABS distribute the braking force between the front and back so that you can actually steer to safety?
It's a bit complicated with bikes, and effectiveness apparently depends on whether the ABS unit is single channel (both wheels modulated together, single speed sensor) Vs. dual channel (both wheels modulated independently, separate sensor on each wheel).

As audioholic mentioned, bikes also have the inherent tendency to lose balance based on lateral forces (and load the front-end) under braking, which makes it all a bit dependent on rider skill rather than technology alone to stay upright.

Here's a layman explanation.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th August 2018 at 18:54.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 21:43   #27026
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Only completely applicable to cars. In bikes, balance is the third factor. Hence, though you can still be able to steer, who will maintain balance? It is still the rider. That's the difference. Check what happens in this video and you will be surprised. All is well until he brakes. Once he brakes, he is thrown onto the tarmac since the bike increases it's lean angle upon braking. In the accident shown in the video by Airbus, the same thing happens but at a lesser speed :

Last edited by audioholic : 24th August 2018 at 21:50.
audioholic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 09:00   #27027
BHPian

Quote:
ABS is undoubtedly a life saver provided the front wheel isn't all over the place. Three times ABS saved me, twice on t100 and once on triple. On t100 the bike was in straight line both the times (hard braking at triple digit speed) and with Striple at high double digit on a slight lean.

Key being the front wheel shouldn't be tilted in left or right beyond the rake/trail geometry limits. (Ask me how wary I am on Duke which is without ABS) That's where the experience & skill part comes in (as other have pointed out) provided the elements show some mercy as well, i.e. at what speed-- what's your turning angle at front wheel, rake & trail of bikes, use of engine braking at curves, ratios of engaging front & rear brake power on curves or in straight line during dry and wet conditions. A lot goes through a rider's mind chasing his enthusiasm, phew!.

In the video it's very apparent that hard front braking caused the fall and once the wheel is tilted beyond rake/trail limit the overall momentum overwhelms the bike geometric stability and the fall is imminent.
wangdu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 22:12   #27028
Distinguished - BHPian

Brezza and Swift : happened on SH-50 east of Bijapur, KA today morning.

Pics by my cousin. The Brezza rear-ended the Swift, and this was the result. The Brezza landed up ahead of the Swift, such was the speed. No fatalities.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-swift.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-brezza.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th August 2018 at 22:56. Reason: Added more details as requested.
Old 27th August 2018, 22:27   #27029
BHPian

Looks like the Brezza rear-ended the Swift and then toppled. Surprised to see the extent of damage to the roof of the Swift from a rear ending. The Brezza is probably a total loss case.

Given that both vehicles went off the road and one of them toppled, my suspicion is that the Brezza was doing insane speeds

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th August 2018 at 22:56. Reason: Removing quoted post. OP has added more details.
Old 27th August 2018, 22:47   #27030
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
Looks like the Brezza rear-ended the Swift and then toppled. Surprised to see the extent of damage to the roof of the Swift from a rear ending. The Brezza is probably a total loss case.
Given that both vehicles went off the road and one of them toppled, my suspicion is that the Brezza was doing insane speeds
Pretty close, and apparently that is what has happened, as told by by-standers to my cousin.

EDIT : The Swift looks to be sporting an "ARMY" sticker. :(

Last edited by benbsb29 : 28th August 2018 at 08:53. Reason: Added further information to the post as requested.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks