Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2018, 15:56   #27301
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

We complete this entire 36 bends uphill from Mudumalai after a delayed started due to rush at Elephant Feeding session last month. We were four adults and our Petrol Dzire could not go beyond second gear in most of the spots. Every hair pin turn gave way to more inclination and by the time we were close at 5th bend, it was already pitch black dark.

Luckily that day we did not face much uphill/downhill traffic and we were the sole vehicle climbing in dark. I was very much worried about engine temperature gauge needle status, but it did not move from its standard normal operating position. Saw Ford Figo, i10 and couple of other hatchbacks struggling because they had their luggage upto the brim in boot with no visibility from inside cabin.

But they were chugging along at 10 kmph and taking on those blind hairpins one at a time. I slowed down just to give them a helping hand should they need one, but they were doing fine.

But at the last few hairpins, it just got too steep (was surprised to see beautiful cottage on the sides of the roads at such steep spot) and saw two commercial pickup trucks coming downhill flashing their high beams in my already dilated pupil. Since it was narrow and steep, I gunned my engine to escape from that bottleneck should these senseless drivers block and if I had to stop uphill.

My clutch being already hot as a cauldron, it would have been very tough for it get the bite back if I stopped. And then I saw few more vehicle happily turning the hairpins at crazy turning radius at night in spite of seeing my vehicle's headlight flash signal coming from downhill.

This is not a spot to mess around with heavy luggage's, full load, poorly maintained vehicle, bad tires, bad brakes, inexperienced driving skills. Road is relatively good, but it is the steep nature of curves and thin carriage lane that is worrisome.

And one more request. Anyone traveling in this spot, kindly give way to vehicles coming from downhill, slowdown and for a moment depend on your fog lamps and dim your headlight. Especially if its late in the evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
The last time I drove down the Kallatti ghat, I saw atleast 5 cars experiencing brake fade due to overheating brakes. This could also be causing accidents.

People just do not use engine braking while driving downhill. It happened to my friend's car as well. I had warned him to use the engine to brake but half way down he was without brakes on his Swift.

As soon as you get off the ghat on the Masinagudi road, there is a mechanic and I was amused to find around 6 cars there complaining of brake issues.
prithm is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 18:00   #27302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
rather than humanitarian and legal way of stopping and helping the victim.
I may be wrong, but. It is completely legal to not stop and surrender at the nearest police station.

Could some one clarify?
Turrrb0 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 18:46   #27303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
I may be wrong, but. It is completely legal to not stop and surrender at the nearest police station.

Could some one clarify?
After being the victim of a minor fender-bender on the Krishnagiri-Hosur stretch, the guilty driver had tried to escape. Myself and another driver cornered him a few Kilometers later and the other driver reprimanded the guilty one, saying that a hit and run is an offence. The mere threat of reporting that offence to the police was enough to cow him into silence. I got my compensation soon enough.

But speaking about instances where you surrender to the police, my uncle has done that in Sivagangai. The police understood his fear - why would anyone stop on a highway after dark, with women inside the car, when the gathered mob can get out of control?

Just two examples from my side.
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 19:54   #27304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
And then I saw few more vehicle happily turning the hairpins at crazy turning radius at night in spite of seeing my vehicle's headlight flash signal coming from downhill.
Along with flashing light, honking is a must. At any blind curve, honk either day or night. There are many goods vehicles going up and they blindly take the turn, using the full road so that they need not reduce the speed. Honking at least will make them aware and cautious.
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 20:51   #27305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Along with flashing light, honking is a must. At any blind curve, honk either day or night. There are many goods vehicles going up and they blindly take the turn, using the full road so that they need not reduce the speed. Honking at least will make them aware and cautious.
So true. We, in our cities, try to avoid honking. But i still feel that on the highways, honking is the best way to get someones attention. One such incident happened few months ago. I don't know how, but some basic cars (Alto & Indica) are sold without a left side view mirror. Not sure if they are still being sold like that.
On my way from Kurnool to Hyderabad, one such car (Alto, no left mirror) was on the right lane and had it's right indicator on. There was an opening in the median for a U-turn. Obviously one would imagine, they would go right for the turn. But in their amazing wisdom, the car suddenly turned left, to get on to some slip road. Thank god i was driving my friends Ciaz which had ABS. I slammed the brakes and honked like crazy. The Alto, heard the honks and tried to get back into the right most lane. With my reflexes, i could swerve the vehicle into the left most lane (I was in the middle lane, since i though the car would turn right for the U-turn) and get back into the center lane after avoiding the Alto. I thanked all my starts and the ABS (which kicked in perfectly). Did not cross 60 till i came back to Hyderabad.
Rohit_Quad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 23:29   #27306
Distinguished - BHPian

The other day saw this Mahindra Scorpio stuck by tripping over a concrete manhole cover. The poor driver must have never apprehended that the manhole cover will give way.

The lesson learnt "Never trust manhole covers."

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20180923_174615203_hdr.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20180923_174600172.jpg

Please mark the rear right wheel that's in the air !

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20180923_174624326.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20180923_174632062.jpg
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 02:50   #27307
BHPian

Re: Is this video for real??? Wagon R runs over boy, miraculous survival!

Hi Rohit
That was scary. Good that a major mishap was averted. Did you happen to meet the Alto guy and give him a piece of your mind?
The irritating thing is when we honk in situations like these, leave alone an apology, there is no acknowledgement.

Guess 60-80 is a safe bet for the highway filled with special people like these.

Regards
Sushil

Last edited by GTO : 12th October 2018 at 07:17. Reason: Typos and sms language
sushil_n79 is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 11th October 2018, 05:58   #27308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The other day saw this Mahindra Scorpio stuck by tripping over a concrete manhole cover. The poor driver must have never apprehended that the manhole cover will give way.
This deserves to be on the weird & wacky thread as well! BMW Scorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
Thanks for clarification. Somehow the front got me confused; however your representation clears all doubts
Designers at Mahindra may have been inspired after crashing their Innova
The front does look like the mahindra, got me confused too. It's the rear that shows it is an Innova

Last edited by GTO : 11th October 2018 at 07:59. Reason: Merging back to back posts
DDiSLover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 16:37   #27309
BHPian

https://www.timesnownews.com/amp/ind...ccident/299081

10 of a family killed and 3 adults, 1 child injured in a head on collision of a SUV with a truck in Chattisgarh.

1. Can anyone say which SUV it is with the picture in the news article?

2. 13 adults + 1 child in a 8 seater SUV? Braking distance will increase, pick up will decrease. Overall driving dynamics will change by overloading a vehicle. Easy to lose control.
Old 14th October 2018, 17:03   #27310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

10 of a family killed and 3 adults, 1 child injured in a head on collision of a SUV with a truck in Chattisgarh.

2. 13 adults + 1 child in a 8 seater SUV? Braking distance will increase, pick up will decrease. Overall driving dynamics will change by overloading a vehicle. Easy to lose control.
Looks like a Scorpio (most probably base variant) from the rear door design.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 14th October 2018 at 17:04.
Old 14th October 2018, 18:19   #27311
BHPian

Quote:

As per this news report, it is a Bolero SUV which was involved. Not sure if this correct.
https://www.ndtv.com/cities/9-member...isgarh-1931799

Last edited by virgopal : 14th October 2018 at 18:21. Reason: corrected sentence
virgopal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 19:33   #27312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
As per this news report, it is a Bolero SUV which was involved. Not sure if this correct.
The crashed vehicle has pull type door handles, which the Bolero does not.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 21:30   #27313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
This was a Mahindra Scorpio (III Generation)

https://www.patrika.com/raipur-news/...jured-3568226/
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 23:09   #27314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Saw Ford Figo, i10 and couple of other hatchbacks struggling because they had their luggage upto the brim in boot with no visibility from inside cabin.
Yes, this road is tricky due to almost back to back hairpin bends. However, it is very much doable in any hatch. Infact, I had done this in my Alto 800 with 4 people and luggage for 2 days. However, you need to anticipate the bends and downshift. I have seen few drivers, trying to stick to one gear too long during a climb and then loose momentum while trying to downshift.

That said, the accidents reported on this route is not usually on vehicles which are climbing up, but those coming down the ghats. It is usually case of driving down in higher gears.

A school friend of mine is nowadays settled in Ooty, and he says about the general opinion among locals that tourist come over, get drunk, speed over ghat roads and cause accidents. I guess this perception may partly be the reason for local drives to have a very arrogant view towards non local vehicles.

As quoted below, I too have couple of experiences where local drives literally try to push you out of road especially around Masinagudi. I thought maybe I was unlucky to come across few bad apples, however when few of my friends also faced this in different trips, I am convinced that it is not a one off case.

Quote:
and saw two commercial pickup trucks coming downhill flashing their high beams in my already dilated pupil. Since it was narrow and steep, I gunned my engine to escape from that bottleneck should these senseless drivers block and if I had to stop uphill.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 21:16   #27315
BHPian

Re: Is this video for real??? Wagon R runs over boy, miraculous survival!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post
Hi Rohit
That was scary. Good that a major mishap was averted. Did you happen to meet the Alto guy and give him a piece of your mind?
The irritating thing is when we honk in situations like these, leave alone an apology, there is no acknowledgement.

Guess 60-80 is a safe bet for the highway filled with special people like these.

Regards
Sushil
@Sushil - i would have, but the Alto went off onto the slip road, into a the town/ village. I guess he didn't even realize what happened then and what would have happened if things went wrong that day. I remember seeing (in the ORVM) the Alto disappear slowly onto the slip road, still without the proper indicator turned on

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks