Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2018, 06:56   #27391
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Thanks to Anvar Sadath for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

An accident between Grand i10 and a motorcycle is shown below. Once again highlights the need for basic safety gears like helmets.

blackwasp is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 07:58   #27392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Once again highlights the need for basic safety gears like helmets.
True.
I will say that this highlights the need for something as basic as to "Give Way" to oncoming traffic. It is hard to say if the car was indicating at all in that video. If the car driver did indicate, kept to the lane and allowed the motorcycle to cross, this crash could have been avoided. I am sure the car driver would have been able to judge that the motorcycle was at a fairly close distance that he should have allowed the motorcycle to pass. There appears to be slight curve in the road too so maybe not that easy to judge for oncoming traffic.

The motorcycle rider is very lucky and that car is going to be stuck at the garage for nothing less than a week to sort out repairs, if any.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 30th October 2018 at 07:59.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 08:54   #27393
Senior - BHPian

A DC Avanti (dressed up to look like a Lamborghini of course) crashed in Delhi when the wheels came off while speeding.

Not a supercar even if it's in fancy dress like one so I won't post it on the supercar thread

hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 09:19   #27394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
A DC Avanti (dressed up to look like a Lamborghini of course) crashed in Delhi when the wheels came off while speeding.

Not a supercar even if it's in fancy dress like one so I won't post it on the supercar thread

The body panels are literally made of glass fiber. The actual sports cars uses carbon fiber to offer the strength of aluminium/steel while giving the flexibility of moulding into complex geometry.
Understand that there should be a cage within but still glass fiber is best for prototyping.
This should be banned. Oh and i forgot to mention that this sports car does not even have an airbag
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20181030091323.png

Last edited by purohitanuj : 30th October 2018 at 09:39.
purohitanuj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 09:51   #27395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
Oh and i forgot to mention that this sports car does not even have an airbag
Attachment 1813181
Looking at the windscreen, it may either have no seat belt or has NUT behind the wheel.
Neither of them put it at sports car class!!!
FORTified is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 14:07   #27396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
The body panels are literally made of glass fiber. The actual sports cars uses carbon fiber to offer the strength of aluminium/steel while giving the flexibility of moulding into complex geometry.
Understand that there should be a cage within but still glass fiber is best for prototyping.
This should be banned. Oh and i forgot to mention that this sports car does not even have an airbag
BUT while I am in no way a fan of DC's abominous creations, we need not act all high-strung when it comes to our definition of a sports car. Firstly, I am sure we can all distinguish the differences between a sports car, a super car, and a hyper car. They all stand at very different price points. Offering carbon-fiber at the cheaper price point of a sports car is impossible as of today. Accomplished creations like the Lotus Exige and several TVRs all use fiberglass construction. Even esteemed super cars like Corvettes, Vipers and the TVR Sagaris all use fiberglass panels. I don't see why this material needs to be banned. Until production techniques of carbon fiber become cheaper, a glass fiber body on top of a well designed tubular space-frame chassis, will remain a very competent solution for small sports car makers.

The fact that this car's wheel came off while speeding, is very worrying to hear and an investigation into the matter is due IMO

Last edited by IshaanIan : 30th October 2018 at 14:12.
IshaanIan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 15:26   #27397
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
... Even esteemed super cars like Corvettes, Vipers and the TVR Sagaris all use fiberglass panels. I don't see why this material needs to be banned. Until production techniques of carbon fiber become cheaper, a glass fiber body on top of a well designed tubular space-frame chassis, will remain a very competent solution for small sports car makers. ...
I think that people get prejudices about material, especially where plastics are concerned. We associate plastics with cheap, and metal with expensive. And thus, expensive is good and cheap is bad. But none of this is correct. For starters, I don't think that GRP (glass-reinforced plastic, often called fibreglass) is particularly cheap, and small-run parts might be hand-made, and very expensive.

Of course, there are ease-of-repair factors. The body part shown above is never going to beaten back into shape, as a steel part could be. This is probably less of a concern for the owners of a car like this. Broken it? Buy a new one. (Or, hey, realistically, buy a new wing.)

So, assuming that it is one of the cars that Ishaanlan mentions, or similar, and not a Reliant Robin, I think most of us would be very happy with our glassfibre (or fiber if you are American) car

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
An accident between Grand i10 and a motorcycle is shown below. Once again highlights the need for basic safety gears like helmets.
Looks like the i10 driver is not even indicating, and turns straight across the path of the biker. Amazing to see the biker take that trip across the bonnet and land on his feet. Very lucky that speeds were not higher. For once, my sympathies are 100% with the biker!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 30th October 2018 at 15:33.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 15:49   #27398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Looks like the i10 driver is not even indicating, and turns straight across the path of the biker.
And that Lungi that the biker was wearing, did an amazing job. It didn't ditch him at all!!!
FORTified is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 21:13   #27399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
That's an interesting clip.

First and foremost I guess how to handle an accident where you are involved and where you are not involved needs to be part of the driving license test / training, as should be training in basic first aid.
You're correct. Here in the UAE, in the first driving lesson the instructor mentioned that if we witness an accident the first thing to do is park the car ahead in a safe spot and then call the emergency hotline. He mentioned that no one should act a hero by trying anything to help the victim even if you think it's a small act of kindness.
He says we do not know how it might affect the victim and so if it's found that we did anything of that sort we'd be even arrested.
I agree with these points because we might be thinking we're helping but we might be worsening the victim's condition.
rav11stars is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 11:03   #27400
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
You're correct. Here in the UAE, in the first driving lesson the instructor mentioned that if we witness an accident the first thing to do is park the car ahead in a safe spot and then call the emergency hotline. He mentioned that no one should act a hero by trying anything to help the victim even if you think it's a small act of kindness.
He says we do not know how it might affect the victim and so if it's found that we did anything of that sort we'd be even arrested.
I agree with these points because we might be thinking we're helping but we might be worsening the victim's condition.
That is correct - many spinal injuries have occured by do-gooders removing the helmet of a motorbike victim or extracting pople out of wreckages the wrong way
ajmat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 23:57   #27401
Distinguished - BHPian

The Justice K.S. Radhakrishnan Committee for Road Safety, appointed by the Supreme Court is on the job. The U.P. government officials have today assured the Committee to look into the alarming rise in road accidents in the state . It is reported that 15,000 people died and 20,000 were injured in 28,000 road accidents in the state of U.P., between January and August 2018, which is 14 % higher than the figures for the corresponding period last year. The figures are horrific.

The link here:

https://www.hindustantimes.com/luckn...1eidBpDcK.html

The Justice Radhakrishnan Committee was appointed in 2014 based on the Hon'ble Supreme Court's orders in the Dr. S. Rajaseekharan versus Union of India case. Dr S. Rajaseekharan is an orthopedic surgeon, who had filed this petition. But despite all such rulings and committees, are we really getting any results and improvements in road safety norms and follow up action by road users ? The situation is getting from bad to worse, as everything remains only on paper. Rarely are those right from the law makers to the law-enforcers and the traffic users serious about implementation of basic safety norms.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:39   #27402
BHPian

Been into a rollover accident last friday. Was driving my Punto with two friends on board on a two way lane with lots of truck traffic. There was this long and sharp bend and it was dark (late evening). There were possibly three reasons for the mishap.

I somewhat misjudged the extent of the curve and in the middle of the bend realized that the car was being slightly under steered. While I slowed and made necessary wheel adjustments, a truck with high beam came from opposite side. The road part where we both came close was narrow and I had to immediately steer left and apply brakes to avoid a possible hit. The car went off road. There were loose gravels on the side of the road. The sudden steering input and brakes made car to skid and drift. At the corner there was a steep decline leading to a ditch. The tyres went into the decline and the car overturned and fell in the ditch. I later found out that there was no air in left rear tyre and there was a deep cut on the sidewall. This may be the result of the rollover or a tyre burst and a possible third reason for losing the control.

We all were belted and came out unscratched. All the electricals were working post accident. MID showed multiple warnings including fuel cut off and ABS. The body damage is major, not sure about the engine and underbody damage. The car is currently being assessed for the damages. I am pushing for the total loss. Posting few pictures.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-4.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-5.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-6.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-7.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-8.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-9.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-10.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-11.jpg
Moto_Hill is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:56   #27403
Distinguished - BHPian

It saddens me immensely to see your post. But gives us solace that you guys are all fine. Again shows what difference can a seat belt make. Glad that you were all belted.

The car looks heavily damaged. What's the IDV of the vehicle? Push for total loss. Speak to the service center regarding the same that you don't want to get it repaired.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 12:53   #27404
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Hill View Post
Been into a rollover accident last friday.
We all were belted and came out unscratched. All the electricals were working post accident. MID showed multiple warnings including fuel cut off and ABS. The body damage is major, not sure about the engine and underbody damage. The car is currently being assessed for the damages. I am pushing for the total loss. Posting few pictures.
I was a little scared on seeing the pics you shared on whatsapp, but I am glad that you and your friends are safe - speaks volumes about the usage of seatbelts and about a car with a good build quality & necessary safety equipment.

Pushing for total loss makes sense as the body and probably the underbody has taken quite a hit.
//M is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 13:38   #27405
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Hill View Post
Been into a rollover accident last friday. ...
Scary and horrible incident. Your analysis is very objective considering the shock that you must feel.

Very glad to know that nobody was hurt. Seat belts, shout it loud!

Nothing hurt, that is, apart from your poor car. Very sad
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed