Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2018, 15:44   #27406
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Please in the meanwhile, try learning how to rev-match and trail-brake. Rev-matching will help you be in the correct lower gear for corners and trail-braking will ensure you have enough load on the front wheels to ensure grip and carry more speed in corners. This is the only way to fully extract and utilize the potential of a manual gearbox. These two skills would possibly have prevented you from getting even a scratch on your car in this instance. Even just learning how to rev-match and stay in the correct gear for corners, will go a long way.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 17:49   #27407
Senior - BHPian

How not to ride, be cautious while brake checking other vehicles.

ecenandu is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 18:45   #27408
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Hill View Post
Been into a rollover accident last friday. Was driving my Punto with two friends on board on a two way lane with lots of truck traffic. There was this long and sharp bend and it was dark (late evening). There were possibly three reasons for the mishap.

I somewhat misjudged the extent of the curve and in the middle of the bend realized that the car was being slightly under steered
Any accident you can walk away from is a good one. I was in an identical accident, in 2004 on the infamous ECR from Chennai and Pondicherry, riding shotgun in a Hyundai santro. My friend who was behind the wheel took a sharp right bend 20-30kms faster than the laws of motion would permit. We under-steered our way into a field, turned turtle and flipped thrice before coming to halt wheel-side up. Thankfully we were buckled and got away with cuts and buises and one badly dented ego! I vividly recall Dreamtheater playing on the stereo when we slid off the tarmac and amazingly the CD player continued belting out 'Metropolis' - rather loudly, to be honest - as we crawled out of the wreckage!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd November 2018 at 20:27. Reason: Typos.
Zed is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 21:07   #27409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Been into a rollover accident last friday. Was driving my Punto with two friends on board on a two way lane with lots of truck traffic. There was this long and sharp bend and it was dark (late evening). There were possibly three reasons for the mishap.

We all were belted and came out unscratched. All the electricals were working post accident. MID showed multiple warnings including fuel cut off and ABS. The body damage is major, not sure about the engine and underbody damage. The car is currently being assessed for the damages. I am pushing for the total loss. Posting few pictures.
@Moto_Hill: Quite a breather for all the occupants, who escaped and are safe and sound. Was just seeing the almost intact A, B and C pillars despite the roll-over. And of course, the unscathed "TEAM BHP sticker".

It is a tribute to the build quality of Brand Fiat, that has been seen saving its occupants during umpteen such unexpected calamities. Buyers in India have however given a cold shoulder to such solid build quality, which some more brands are famous for.

On the contrary, we revel in buying the more ductile "killer cars" that are of South Korean, Japanese and Chinese (one brand that has closed shop) origins and making some of them the best sellers. If safer built cars were the best sellers, maybe we would have had lesser loss of lives in the thousands of road accidents.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 2nd November 2018 at 21:10.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 03:47   #27410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The body damage is major, not sure about the engine and underbody damage. The car is currently being assessed for the damages. I am pushing for the total loss.
You better push hard for it. There is no question of carrying out repair on this car. I also hope this car does not land on the second hand market for sale post repair, even after the car has been written off. This happens in our country and unsuspecting buyers end up with a lemon.

Glad to know you made it out safe. This is a dated car model that was written off by NCAP.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 04:40   #27411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Please in the meanwhile, try learning how to rev-match and trail-brake. Rev-matching will help you be in the correct lower gear for corners and trail-braking will ensure you have enough load on the front wheels to ensure grip and carry more speed in corners. This is the only way to fully extract and utilize the potential of a manual gearbox. These two skills would possibly have prevented you from getting even a scratch on your car in this instance. Even just learning how to rev-match and stay in the correct gear for corners, will go a long way.
How does one do trail braking in a car, Ishaanlan?

Never mind - found it https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ing-explained/

Looks like an expert manoeuvre that needs to be learned on the track.

Last edited by sridhu : 3rd November 2018 at 05:02.
sridhu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 06:23   #27412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
How not to ride, be cautious while brake checking other vehicles.
Tell me about it, just 2 days back, I encountered this idiot brake checking me. Luckily, this was an interior road and speeds were low.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post4488690 (Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em)
Old 3rd November 2018, 08:40   #27413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Been into a rollover accident last friday. Was driving my Punto with two friends on board on a two way lane with lots of truck traffic. There was this long and sharp bend and it was dark (late evening). ........
Glad you came out unscathed from the incident. Any idea of what speeds you were doing then? And the age of the tyres? When will these high beamers learn the damage they cause!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Glad to know you made it out safe. This is a dated car model that was written off by NCAP.
While your statement is true, it could be misleading for some. Punto is yet to be tested by G-NCAP. It scored a 0 in Euro-NCAP which is more stringent and requires lots of modern electronic driver aids to score points. It is good to mention this since G-NCAP and Euro-NCAP are totally two different yardsticks.
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 11:02   #27414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
be cautious while brake checking other vehicles.
How about we not brake check anyone?

(Mods, please remove my post if deemed incorrect / irrelevant.)
fordfreak is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 15:16   #27415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
How does one do trail braking in a car, Ishaanlan?

Never mind - found it https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ing-explained/

Looks like an expert manoeuvre that needs to be learned on the track.
Trail braking involves understanding the effects that applying the brakes has, to do with how much speed you can carry in a corner. Next time you're hooning about in the car that you are most confident in and you are on an empty road with some curves on it, try this; take a corner at the highest speed and most appropriate gear. Fast enough that you can feel how going a little faster would probably cause you to lose control of the car. Then try the same corner at the same speed except this time, while your right foot is feeding the accelerator, also dab the brakes very gently (since it is not used to it) with your left foot. This will have the effect of adding load onto the front wheels which will give them more traction and grip. When you do this, you will be shocked to see how much faster you can go with right foot becoming more generous with the throttle pedal.

That's why I said simply learning how to rev-match would be a good start. Basically your body and muscles need to be in tune with the weight shift and balance of the vehicle. Once one becomes sensitive to that, it becomes easy to train him/herself to control the weight-shift and thereby prevent "loss of control" which is something I hear of way too often
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 16:34   #27416
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
That's why I said simply learning how to rev-match would be a good start.
You missed this bit...

Quote:
I somewhat misjudged the extent of the curve and in the middle of the bend realized that...
It's all very well knowing the theory of the best way to take a corner, both basic and advanced (basic: brake in and power out, is what I know) but by the time you've misjudged it, it's too late. No doubt there are advanced corrective measures, and no doubt it would be good if we all took a course in rally driving.

What do you mean by rev matching? Something beyond the standard method of changing down without slowing down? Or is that not as standard as I think?

Moto_Hill knows he got it wrong, and paid the price. Some of us have done the same and been more, or less, lucky. I was lucky: there was plenty of room, off the road, for the car to travel sideways before it stopped. Lessons learned. Sadly, it cost Moto_Hill his car.

Not that I am, in any way, against point out what could have bee done to prevent accidents, but in this case, it was pretty-much too late.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2018, 22:01   #27417
BHPian

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/gurg...w/66500194.cms

From the report, a lorry running in wrong side of highway hit a car, jeep and a motorcycle head on resulting in the death of 13 people.

Car collision with a lorry without under run bars is my worst nightmare. (No reports of that in news, hypothetical scenario). Because there is no crumple zone in play in rear or side collision. A pillars of car directly hits the body of lorry + head of the occupants is the point of impact + the height of airbags do not cover the head. (Kindly correct me if I'm wrong.) I am not sure of how good crumple zone is in lorry's front.

1. While driving alone, pull over at nearest safe place and nap if sleepy or drowsy.
2. If travelling with a passenger, can request them to keep a look out ahead in road. They can be your extra eyes and ears. Valuable to spot distant wrong side vehicles or distant breakdown vehicles in your lane.
3. More highway patrols needed to pull over wrong side vehicles. Laws should be passed to cancel the driving licence of those driving on wrong side, even if for one metre distance.

Keep yourself safe. It's dogs world out there in our highways. Just because we drive safe doesn't ensure that there won't be accidents. Buy the safest car you can afford.
Arwin07 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 01:44   #27418

There are videos and pics of this accident. I have found it to be the most graphic accident scene I have watched in my life.
Old 5th November 2018, 09:32   #27419
BHPian

The 'jeep' was a TRAX cruiser. The trailer was of MSIL, should be having under run bars. What I understand from local information is that the Trailer was speeding in wrong lane and the TRAX and Dzire were also speeding in their own lane.
I have travelled this road once. It is proper, fast highway with average speeds of 80s. There is no escape if something like this happens.
Old 5th November 2018, 13:53   #27420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

True but even then the EuroNCAP is on record saying the following:-

"The passenger compartment of the Punto remained stable in the frontal offset test."

https://cdn.euroncap.com/media/38810...-datasheet.pdf

This is something that 3 star G-NCAP certified cars cant match:

"The bodyshell was rated as unstable and it was not capable of withstanding any further loadings"

http://www.globalncap.org/wp-content...VER-Airbag.pdf

" The bodyshell was rated as unstable and it was not capable of
withstanding any further loadings."

http://www.globalncap.org/wp-content...-2-Airbags.pdf
Brishti is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed