Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2018, 11:55   #27541
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

The WHO report on Road accidents is very sad commentary on our road conditions. The surprising thing is that I see so many ideas being put forth for prevention, there is no lack on that, however nothing is implemented except on paper, I guess. IMHO one of the main cause is the lack of will to implement harsh measures, which would be a deterrent for breaking traffic regulations. Another problem is greasing the palms, due which lot of rules are overlooked.

Link: https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-299091-410724
sparky@home is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 15:29   #27542
Senior - BHPian

We had gone out for lunch today, and when we returned at 3pm, we saw this scene in front of our house.

This is the result of a small overlap frontal collision between a car and an autorikshaw. The auto had (according to the surrounding buildings' watchmen) apparently climbed up the A-pillar of the Fiesta before toppling over. Auto driver has been taken to hospital with multiple fractures, and the car driver has suffered various cuts and bruises.

Bystanders were busy comparing the way the auto driver was driving to stunts in Rajnikanth movies.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident_2018120802.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident_2018120801.jpg  

KiloAlpha is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 16:25   #27543
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
We had gone out for lunch today, and when we returned at 3pm, we saw this scene in front of our house.

Bystanders were busy comparing the way the auto driver was driving to stunts in Rajnikanth movies.
This looks pretty close by my house. The area as you may know is home to a bunch of auto drivers. Maybe a fun weekend or a test drive would have gone wrong. Sad to see so much damage on the car if it was the mistake of the Auto driver. I feel that the regn number is a little familiar to some car belonging to my neighborhood itself. I wonder when some sense will be injected in these Auto drivers to drive sanely and not treat the rickshaw like a bike or scooter.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 19:41   #27544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Poor cow gets unnecessarily hurt.
There are so many things wrong with this video, it's impossible to start anywhere. But overall it seems like its a case of Cow meets three monkeys on a bike.

The list:
  1. Cows on the road, sitting, standing, walking
  2. People not wearing helmet
  3. Three on a bike
  4. Bikers riding haphazardly
  5. Barricades removed from the median are left on the road
  6. The cop does not seem to care

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
No amount of crumple zone and airbags could have saved the fiesta chap (or any other car) from this. Looks like a wheelie on the wrong side of the road gone terribly wrong.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 20:09   #27545
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
On 2nd December, at 12:30 AM in Chromepet GST road (Chennai), we were in our TUV 300, on the way to Hosur. We spotted a rashly driven Ford Aspire. He zipped and zapped his way ahead of us but still got caught up in the traffic at Pallavaram, with the flyover construction. The fool spotted an open stretch to floor it, only to ram a Honda Jazz in the rear. I have it all on my dashcam but the video clip which shows the number plate of the Aspire after impact got overwritten. The clip I have (which shows the moment of impact) doesn't show the number plate clearly, so I can't prove my point that it's the same rash driver I have on tape from earlier...

But anyway, it happened. We all had a nice show (at the expense of the Jazz's owner sadly though). My brother-in-law had actually predicted that he'll crash when we first spotted him. But we had no idea that we'd get see a case of instant Karma!

I have tried my hand at story-telling the above incident to my best ability, with the available footage, sounds and music. I'm not sure the rashness of the guy's driving becomes apparent in the footage you see here; for some reason, my dashcam's recorded footage seems to be slower than how things happen in the real world. But anyway, there's live footage of the crash as a saving grace...You'll have to take my word for it - he drove rashly and the same guy crashed into an unsuspecting White Honda Jazz. True story.

Note: As we pulled alongside the rashly driven car, my brother in law rolled down his passenger window and gave him an earful. Later, my bro told us that the guy's eyes seemed bloodshot. Drunk? Sleep-deprived? On drugs? Under the influence of cough syrup? We'll never know!
locusjag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 20:33   #27546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And even more unfortunate that all three knuckleheads survived.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 07:54   #27547
BHPian

Quote:
As a species, it appears, we as humans develop mental maturity much later. Almost 30% of the life is done and dusted with for the trio of stooges!

Also, seeing the news all around of mob-justice around cow vigilantism, it might be risky for other bikers to stop around. One never knows what events can kick off what chain-reactions in a society that's always on its edge.
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 10:36   #27548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
And even more unfortunate that all three knuckleheads survived.
what were you expecting?

Hope they are dented enough to come into good shape.
Old 11th December 2018, 10:58   #27549
BHPian

Quote:
But anyway, there's live footage of the crash as a saving grace...You'll have to take my word for it - he drove rashly and the same guy crashed into an unsuspecting White Honda Jazz. True story.

From the footage it seems as if the slow moving truck on the left lane made the Jazz cut into Aspire's lane. Unfortunately, due to whatever reasons, the Aspire driver was not alert enough to avoid the impending crash. But I think the Jazz driver is equally to blame for this episode (though I could be wrong).
greenoval is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 12:12   #27550
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenoval View Post
From the footage it seems as if the slow moving truck on the left lane made the Jazz cut into Aspire's lane. Unfortunately, due to whatever reasons, the Aspire driver was not alert enough to avoid the impending crash. But I think the Jazz driver is equally to blame for this episode (though I could be wrong).
There is a small pit dug across that busy stretch and someone filled the pit with sharp "jelly" stones (as they call it locally). Everyone has to brake there, for fear of going over it at speed.

The truck braked, the Jazz swerved to avoid it, Aspire driver was still zipping and zapping across lanes and hit the Jazz. The fault is still the Aspire's, going by the cardinal traffic law that is applied everywhere in the world - it is mostly the rear-ending vehicle's fault.

You would've seen the Aspire cutting me off and then cutting everyone else off in the initial footage. He was a disaster waiting to happen. He just happened to meet the Jazz which was being swerved unwisely. So, 20% fault Jazz's, 80% Aspire's, if you ask me.

Last edited by locusjag : 11th December 2018 at 12:26.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 09:41   #27551
Senior - BHPian

Ahmedabad: Car rams into glass facade at the airport.

Quote:
In a freak incident early on Tuesday morning, a private vehicle rammed into the entrance door of the internal terminal link — a subway which connects the domestic and international terminal — at Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International (SVPI) airport. The incident had been immediately reported to the terminal manager of Terminal-2 — the international terminal of the airport.
News Source.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 11:00   #27552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Ahmedabad: Car rams into glass facade at the airport.

News Source.
As per the news item the car driver paid for the damage. Won't the car insurance company pay for this if it has third party insurance cover?
Old 12th December 2018, 11:38   #27553
BHPian

Quote:
You'll have to take my word for it - he drove rashly and the same guy crashed into an unsuspecting White Honda Jazz. True story.
Yes, the speed can't be figured out in the video, however, the move (of cutting in) at 10th second itself was so annoying and inconsiderate. For a second I thought the footage is of Bangalore traffic, where every other person tries to cut in to others and forcing the primary lane (if any) user get off it.
Additionaly, from your footage it looks like the aspire guy didn't brake until the very end, whereas Jazz had braked at least quite few seconds before. So maybe the chap was under some influence.
Old 12th December 2018, 14:35   #27554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... We'll never know!
Huh!! I am confused.

The Jazz guy seems to be bigger cause for the crash now!He didnt indicate a lane change (not that we bother south of Bangalore anyways).

If a new comer sees your video from mid-point onwards (not to get influenced by the 1st half) he will be more inclined to fault with the jazz for changing lanes due to the slowing truck in middle lane.

I just called over a co-worker and showed him the video from half point onward, he opined that the jazz was at fault.
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 14:47   #27555
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Huh!! I am confused.

The Jazz guy seems to be bigger cause for the crash now!He didnt indicate a lane change (not that we bother south of Bangalore anyways).

If a new comer sees your video from mid-point onwards (not to get influenced by the 1st half) he will be more inclined to fault with the jazz for changing lanes due to the slowing truck in middle lane.

I just called over a co-worker and showed him the video from half point onward, he opined that the jazz was at fault.
I knew I shouldn't have used slow motion to introduce the Aspire in the first half! The way he cut in front of me and instantly braked for a pothole was downright stupid and that doesn't get conveyed because of my over-editing. My bad.

Yes, the Jazz was being driven unwisely at the precise point of impact. But the Jazz's driver wasn't the one who had earlier missed hitting all the cars on the road, a few Kilometers earlier.

Denzel Washington's Oscar acceptance speech went like this - success is what happens when opportunity meets preparation. The Aspire driver was very well prepped to meet with an accident and the Jazz driver presented him with an opportunity.
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed