Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2019, 22:13   #27796
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

I got a forward on Facebook, wherein a Baleno has rear ended an Old XC60, can’t really make out if any damage has been sustained by the Volvo, but the Baleno looks trashed. The incident has probably occurred in Kerala, as the cars are having a Kerala number, but no idea where and when.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-50964408_2198008573750429_5185015769636798464_n.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-50740913_2198008597083760_4375350306184101888_n.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 1st February 2019 at 22:31. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
sparky@home is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 22:44   #27797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
I got a forward on Facebook, wherein a Baleno has rear ended an Old XC60, can’t really make out if any damage has been sustained by the Volvo, but the Baleno looks trashed. The incident has probably occurred in Kerala, as the cars are having a Kerala number, but no idea where and when.
Not sure where the rear crumple zone of the XC60 is. If it has one and gets activated, it would look bad as well. (speaking in general) Because of the front crumple zone on modern cars, the weaker car while looking bad actually keeps the occupants safer. It certainly looks bad, and is probably totaled, but would give a better chance at survival for the occupant.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 30th January 2019 at 22:45.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 08:40   #27798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Not sure where the rear crumple zone of the XC60 is. If it has one and gets activated, it would look bad as well. (speaking in general) Because of the front crumple zone on modern cars, the weaker car while looking bad actually keeps the occupants safer. It certainly looks bad, and is probably totaled, but would give a better chance at survival for the occupant.
Quote:
Got 2 more pics of the same incident. It clearly shows the damage suffered by the Volvo.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190129wa0006.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190129wa0008.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 1st February 2019 at 22:32. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
arif_t01 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 11:17   #27799
BANNED

Another celebrity dies on the YEW - Singer Shivani Bhatia.

https://www.msn.com/en-in/video/news...eat/vp-BBSVFR1

The car was apparently an i20 though the ORVMs look like those of the Grand i10 to me.

The news says her husband lost control of the car when trying to overtake another car at high speeds, when will people learn to respect their vehicle's limits??
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 11:35   #27800
BHPian

Quote:
I got a forward on Facebook, wherein a Baleno has rear ended an Old XC60, can’t really make out if any damage has been sustained by the Volvo, but the Baleno looks trashed.
My favourite aspect is, the part the "Maruti-Suzuki Baleno" has hit is the Volvo's weakest part - it's made of "MS" according to pictures of their CMA. Mild Steel v/s Maruti Suzuki.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20190131-11.19.10.jpeg

One can argue about build quality, crumple zones, "heartect" and safety till the cows come home, but every time I see a Maruti like this, especially the Baleno/Dzire I go

Last edited by GTO : 1st February 2019 at 16:23. Reason: typo
Mu009 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 11:55   #27801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
on modern cars, the weaker car while looking bad actually keeps the occupants safer. It certainly looks bad, and is probably totaled, but would give a better chance at survival for the occupant.
Had it been the other way around (XC60 rear ending the Baleno), the end result (mangled state) would be the more or less the same for Baleno.

Totally in agreement with the crucial role of crumple zone in softening impacts and safeguarding occupants.

However the current trend in mass market cars targeted to Indian customers is to mislead them by associating a flimsy body shell/safety cage( as a result of cost cutting) with crumple zones and selling it as a feature.

Crumple zones should be placed at strategic zones around a high strength rigid passenger cell that resists deformation and provides a survivable space for passengers. Unfortunately, cost cutting measures are resulting poor vehicle frame/safety cage that deforms at the slightest impact greatly increasing the risk to passengers.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 31st January 2019 at 11:56.
for_cars1 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 12:29   #27802
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Had it been the other way around (XC60 rear ending the Baleno), the end result (mangled state) would be the more or less the same for Baleno.
+1

Not an apple to apple comparison, but still relevant. Nearly 5 years back, I once front-ended a Maruti Omni at a T-junction at about 20-25 kmph (completely my fault). The Omni's side door completely caved in with a huge Vento bonnet sized curve dent on the right side of the Omni visible to all.

On the other hand, my car had just a few minor scratches on the bumper. Surprisingly the airbags didn't deploy (never wondered about it back then); and even the owner of the Omni could not fathom the difference in damage between my car and his car.

Of course, I paid up after some lengthy "negotiations".
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 16:08   #27803
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Because of the front crumple zone on modern cars, the weaker car while looking bad actually keeps the occupants safer. It certainly looks bad, and is probably totaled, but would give a better chance at survival for the occupant.
This argument has run its course, I think. Until a threshold, the crumple zone has to elastically deform and absorb an impact, beyond that, it has to inelastically deform, and disperse the energy. MSIL has been selling this "crumple zone" argument for far too long now. It is supposed to come into play in major accidents, not a bumper kisser like this and result in serious radiator and engine damage. Minor accidents are expected to cause dents and scratches, not cause the entire front to cave in, like this. I too own a maruti, and I know how pathetic the cost cutting is.

Of course the difference in sheer mass between the two cars plays a role (the amount of change in momentum suffered by each, will be inversely proportional to the mass ratio) , but I am sure a chevy spark or even the nano would have fared better. Crumple zone is not an excuse to make the bumper/bonnet/fenders from soft-drink-can grade material.

Last edited by venkyhere : 31st January 2019 at 16:16.
venkyhere is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 09:14   #27804
Team-BHP Support

Build quality debate is endless, but the first picture speaks volumes by itself regardless of the logo on the car.

The Baleno only has a thin strip of metal for a front crash member (the actual bumper), so it's just that, a couple inches of air and a thin layer of plastic cover separating the engine bay from whatever lies ahead. Damage guaranteed in any shunt except ones at crawling speeds.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st February 2019 at 09:15.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 13:21   #27805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Build quality debate is endless, but the first picture speaks volumes by itself regardless of the logo on the car.

The Baleno only has a thin strip of metal for a front crash member (the actual bumper), so it's just that, a couple inches of air and a thin layer of plastic cover separating the engine bay from whatever lies ahead. Damage guaranteed in any shunt except ones at crawling speeds.
Very true. But after all the details about the Baleno XC60 bromance discussed here, I think there is one thing that might be interesting to think about. After looking at the condition of both vehicles and how less the Volvo seems damaged comparatively, I still think the Volvo repair costs would turn out to be more, what with possible reverse sensors and all needing replacement.

On the other hand, even with the airbags(if deployed), radiator, fan/s, condenser, crash beam, bumper, both fenders, bonnet, repainting, headlights, Ac small parts and gas, etc, there's a chance the Baleno repair cost would sum up to a lesser amount. I'm just trying to figure and may be wrong on this but it's an interesting calculation. Of course, this is if we don't take insurance into the picture. Just raw costs.
Old 1st February 2019, 13:43   #27806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Very true. But after all the details about the Baleno XC60 bromance discussed here, I think there is one thing that might be interesting to think about. After looking at the condition of both vehicles and how less the Volvo seems damaged comparatively, I still think the Volvo repair costs would turn out to be more, what with possible reverse sensors and all needing replacement.........I'm just trying to figure and may be wrong on this but it's an interesting calculation. Of course, this is if we don't take insurance into the picture. Just raw costs.
In sheer money terms, it could turn out that one might need to spend more money to bring the Volvo back to factory specifications. However, when you look at it as a percentage of the value of the vehicle, the repair costs on the Baleno would turn out to be much much higher than that of the Volvo. The percentage calculation would be a more apt way to compare repair costs, wouldn't it?
VivekCherian is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 20:26   #27807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home
I feel the Baleno should have hit some structure/heavy vehicle after scratching the Volvo as the condition of Baleno seems highly impossible with the Volvo suffering just paint loss.
Is there any news coverage/ or more pictures to understand the situation?

Last edited by aah78 : 1st February 2019 at 22:31. Reason: Quote fixed.
petrol_power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 21:34   #27808
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm more curious why so many Balenos end up rear-ending different cars.. this is almost the dozenth case reported here alone.

I personally witnessed one rear-ending an Etios, a flimsy (I'm NOT mentioning unsafe, but flimsy) car to begin with and while the Etios had a bumper misalignment after the bump, the Baleno had caved in about 3-4 inches and this was a <20 kmph bump with sufficient braking used as well.

My request is that let us all, also not freely use the word crumple-zone whenever Maruti comes into the picture. Crumple-zones are designed to give way to a certain degree at higher speeds i.e 60 kmph, to absorb some impact, while allowing the airbag sensors to respond and inflate before the rest of the structure holds in place as the airbags and seatbelts do their work. I have nothing against Maruti, as a former owner I know exactly how much they've diluted in quality though, its no great secret that Baleno and Swift are flimsy.
dark.knight is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 21:42   #27809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I'm more curious why so many Balenos end up rear-ending different cars.. this is almost the dozenth case reported here alone.

I personally witnessed one rear-ending an Etios, a flimsy (I'm NOT mentioning unsafe, but flimsy) car to begin with and while the Etios had a bumper misalignment after the bump, the Baleno had caved in about 3-4 inches and this was a <20 kmph bump with sufficient braking used as well.

My request is that let us all, also not freely use the word crumple-zone whenever Maruti comes into the picture. Crumple-zones are designed to give way to a certain degree at higher speeds i.e 60 kmph, to absorb some impact, while allowing the airbag sensors to respond and inflate before the rest of the structure holds in place as the airbags and seatbelts do their work. I have nothing against Maruti, as a former owner I know exactly how much they've diluted in quality though, its no great secret that Baleno and Swift are flimsy.
The problem is limited engines available to MSIL, just look at it: they have a 1L, 1.2L, 1.5L(latest) petrols and just one 1.3 L diesel. They have been milking these engines till the udders bleed, only way they extract performance & fuel efficiency from the cars is to make them lighter: New Swift is lighter by some 85 to 100kgs than the older version, Ciaz is again one of the lightest in the segment, Baleno is a tin can: what do you expect!!?? Our choices have seen some good cars bite the dust and mostly affordable tin cans sell by the thousands every month. So basically we're getting what we deserve.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 1st February 2019 at 21:45.
Durango Dude is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 21:54   #27810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post

However the current trend in mass market cars targeted to Indian customers is to mislead them by associating a flimsy body shell/safety cage( as a result of cost cutting) with crumple zones and selling it as a feature.

Crumple zones should be placed at strategic zones around a high strength rigid passenger cell that resists deformation and provides a survivable space for passengers. Unfortunately, cost cutting measures are resulting poor vehicle frame/safety cage that deforms at the slightest impact greatly increasing the risk to passengers.
So true.
Looking at many of the Baleno crash pics, if I may (with little bit of pun), then the whole car looks like a crumple zone, made to safeguard objects it may hit.
No offence to any Baleno patrons, the car is such a lovely package, really wish they had made it as safe as the polos and Nexons, it would have been one fabulous package.
However, to cut Baleno some slack, for many of the cases, we do not know the parameters around the crashes, and maybe Baleno is doing a ok job upto a particular speed.
In this particular scenario, it may be bit unfair to belittle the Baleno as, "maybe" a very small surface area of the volvo's rear bumper get to absorb all the energy exerted by the 600 or 500kgs (bit of pun again) of that Heartache.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks