Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2019, 06:50   #28156
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It may sound hard, but even the bikers going the right way in your video all seem to be trying to have an accident. The guy on the right is looking for a non-existent gap even though he has his foot on the pavement! Those overtaking the coach on its left obviously fancy life with one leg.
This stretch is usually free flowing and easy to navigate. The slowdown due to the accident made it really bad and 2 wheelers showed their true Colors.
You're right - most 2 wheelers who drive bravely on the wrong side with high beam and horn and blinkers continue to do so because they succeed and have done it a 100 times. If there is a close shave they say, "Couldn't you see me coming and slow down?". The only thing that will stop them is:
1. Loss of bike to accident
2. Loss of limb or head or life to accident
3. Loss of money through fines recurrently.
BenjiRoss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 11:22   #28157
Distinguished - BHPian

A BMTC bus has toppled on a flyover in Bangalore today morning. Around 13 people have been injured.

https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...-flyover-99076
Old 28th March 2019, 13:01   #28158
BHPian

http://www.newindianexpress.com/citi...u-1956356.html

A test driven Range Rover meets accident in NICE road. One person died and three injured.

Last edited by aadya : 28th March 2019 at 13:02. Reason: additional info.
Old 28th March 2019, 13:08   #28159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
http://www.newindianexpress.com/citi...u-1956356.html

A test driven Range Rover meets accident in NICE road. One person died and three injured.
There are more pics and news of the same on this thread here.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post4565166 (High-speed Range Rover Evoque test drive gone wrong; driver dead & passengers injured)
Old 28th March 2019, 20:12   #28160
BHPian

Visuals of an accident near Vellore on Chennai-Bangalore highway. The rider died at the hospital later.

Nimalan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 08:31   #28161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimalan View Post
Two people got badly injured in a bike collision in Kanyakumari, TamilNadu.
This woman was just plain nuts to suddenly stop in the middle of the road like that! There was little or nothing that biker could have done.
hserus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 13:36   #28162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
This woman was just plain nuts to suddenly stop in the middle of the road like that! There was little or nothing that biker could have done.
I think she spotted the biker coming towards her at a very high speed and couldn't decide what to do next and froze in the middle. I would say its a mistake from both parties. Bike riders for riding too fast and lady for not taking enough precaution while crossing.
grevvity is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 13:43   #28163
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by grevvity View Post
I think she spotted the biker coming towards her at a very high speed and couldn't decide what to do next and froze in the middle. I would say its a mistake from both parties. Bike riders for riding too fast and lady for not taking enough precaution while crossing.

If we look closely, she stops before approaching the road (roughly 0:10 in the video), looks at both sides and proceeds to cross only after the red Swift (?) has gone (~0:17 mark in the video). So, probably the other rider was too fast and she didn't notice him earlier.
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 13:49   #28164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
She is waiting (for him to pass?) in the middle of the road, which is fine. He is driving in the middle of the road, as if she does not exist, and hits her. He might have seen her and assumed she will move. Assumptions are deadly. His fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
If we look closely, she stops before approaching the road (roughly 0:10 in the video), looks at both sides and proceeds to cross only after the red Swift (?) has gone (~0:17 mark in the video). So, probably the other rider was too fast and she didn't notice him earlier.
I think she saw him and was waiting for him. Not entirely sure that her actions were perfect, but his was worse.

I don't like the look of the head-to-building contact.

The male driver could easily have avoided an accident that should never have happened. He should have kept to the left. He could have passed behind her.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 14:41   #28165
BHPian

Quote:
Could you explain the head-to-building contact term? I have no idea what you mean.
Old 29th March 2019, 15:06   #28166
BHPian

Quote:

The male driver could easily have avoided an accident that should never have happened. He should have kept to the left. He could have passed behind her.
! He was not that close to her that he could not do anything. There was enough time! On top of it, it is a junction and the golden rule is to slow down and become defensive as soon as one spots a junction. Leave alone being close to it.

Having said that what was the lady doing?? As far as her riding capabilities allowed her, she thought it is safe to cross over. But as soon as she saw the bike hurtling towards her, she was lost!. Got confused on whether to keep going, or go back (is there a reverse gear?)! Just stopped hoping that the rider will either go in front or around her. Unfortunately he did neither !

Hope all of them recover soon.
Old 29th March 2019, 15:17   #28167
BHPian

Quote:
Could you explain the head-to-building contact term? I have no idea what you mean.
, I hope that clears things out for you.
Turrrb0 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 18:27   #28168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
, I hope that clears things out for you.
Turrrb0: thanks, I could not have put that better!

She was thrown in the direction of a building, and hit it head first.

(I am recalling the video from several days back).

There is nothing wrong with crossing a road half way and waiting. But with all these focussed CCTV shots, we are completely hampered by not seeing the road or events to her left.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 18:32   #28169
BHPian

Quote:
Two people got badly injured in a bike collision in Kanyakumari, TamilNadu.
Bike guy is too fast on a narrow road with intersections and probably made an assumption that the girl on the scooter will not stop and just pass.

Meanwhile, girl on scooter seems a bit unsure about crossing the road, checks both sides and then keeps looking to her right and only turns left when she reaches the centre. The best practice is to look to your left and right, start if clear and immediately concentrate on your left as that's the portion you are going to cross later and judgement really matters.

Quote:
Visuals of an accident near Vellore on Chennai-Bangalore highway. The rider died at the hospital later.
Car is going way too fast in a section that can be best described as urban area. He could have hit any of the bikes or even the Figo taking a U turn.

Coming to the bikes, they probably did a bit of wrong side riding (as is increasingly common in such areas) to get to the gap in the median and made a run for it. The bike probably just followed the scooter. RIP.
Old 29th March 2019, 19:10   #28170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevvity View Post
I think she spotted the biker coming towards her at a very high speed and couldn't decide what to do next and froze in the middle.
It didn't feel as though she froze - she just stopped on the near-side of the road to allow the bike (who seems to be overspeeding) to pass on the far side. If you notice the accident occurred on the wrong side of the road for that bike.

In fact she took care to look both ways before attempting to cross. Her mistake could be that she misjudged the speed at which the biker is approaching and had to stop in the middle of the carriageway.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks