Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2019, 12:03   #28681
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
Maruti Suzuki starts home delivery of new cars.

Looks like someone dozed off on the highway.
For all you know, the could be the result of the driver losing control to save an imbecile two wheeler or a pedestrian
speedmiester is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 8th June 2019, 13:01   #28682
Senior - BHPian

I saw this yesterday.

Was going from HSR to Sarjapur. On the Agara bridge, the bus in front of me suddenly swung to the right. I was cursing him for typical bus driver ethics when I saw that there was a girl on a scooter (with an L board, no less!) standing in the middle of the right most lane & the centre lane. She was adjusting her dupatta.

The bus driver was so shocked that he parked on the side & hyper ventilated. Almost got down to beat up the girl too! But did not.

The girl was completely oblivious to the entire potential carnage she caused and just drove on!

I tell you, some people should not be allowed on the roads. And it is not always the bus driver who is wrong!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th June 2019 at 11:23. Reason: Minor typo
sridhu is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 9th June 2019, 23:28   #28683
Senior - BHPian

An accident that reportedly happened in Kerala yesterday. A lot has been discussed about this in some of the WhatsApp forums. An overtaking gone wrong or the ego of car driver gone wrong! Could have been avoided if the car driver was in his senses.

Last edited by SDP : 10th June 2019 at 08:44. Reason: Last day -> yesterday
balenoed_ is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th June 2019, 23:40   #28684
BHPian

Terrible accident caused by teenager.

Last edited by ampere : 10th June 2019 at 07:13. Reason: Typo fixed
jeganatu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 02:35   #28685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
An accident that reportedly happened in Kerala last day. A lot has been discussed about this in some of the WhatsApp forums. An overtaking gone wrong or the ego of car driver gone wrong! Could have been avoided if the car driver was in his senses.
To begin with, the car driver has no fault for this accident from legal point of view. Truck driver overtaking on solid white line and worse, didn’t get back to his lane on time. The car driver didn’t even cross the line by a cm to the other side. It’s an open and shut case in terms of legality of who is responsible for this accident.

But if this accident could have been avoided? Yes, completely and if the car moved by few inches to the left or slowed down a bit. I don’t want to blame him for standing the ground (aka staying in his lane) but he need not have put his life in line to prove that. It could be also that the car driver was momentarily distracted.
Yieldway17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 06:36   #28686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
The car driver didn't even cross the line by a cm to the other side. It could be also that the car driver was momentarily distracted.
He was definitely distracted as he was gradually drifting towards the midline even though there was an overtaking going on in front of his eyes!

The distance between the car and the border of the road on his left gradually increases even though there were no vehicles to his left.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th June 2019 at 08:21. Reason: Spacing
sunsetorange is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 08:08   #28687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
It could be also that the car driver was momentarily distracted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
He was definitely distracted as he was gradually drifting towards the midline even though there was an overtaking going on in front of his eyes!
Probably he was distracted, but there is this behavior with some drivers that they attempt to block the way of such overtakes as a protest asking to "Get off my lane" and then steer away at the last second.
Old 10th June 2019, 08:26   #28688
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
I saw this yesterday.

Was going from HSR to Sarjapur. On the Agara bridge, the bus in front of me suddenly swung to the right. I was cursing him for typical bus driver ethics when I saw that there was a girl on a scooter (with an L board, no less!) standing in the middle of the right most lane & the centre lane. She was adjusting her dupatta.

The bus driver was so shocked that he parked on the side & hyper ventilated. Almost got down to beat up the girl too! But did not.

THe girl was completely oblivious to the entire potential carnage she caused and just drove on!

I tell you, some people should not be allowed on the roads. And it is not always the bus driver who is wrong!
Something similar happened to me on Kasturba Road on Saturday afternoon. Traffic was thin and I was on the right most lane heading towards JDP traffic signal. The woman on the scooter in front of me stopped abruptly in the right most lane without any indication, and her pillion friend jumped off the bike, only to climb the divider a few seconds later! I had to brake and swerve a little to avoid her!

Investing in a good dash camera is priority for me now!
suhaas307 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 09:41   #28689
BHPian

Such a tragic incident, 8 lives lost. 5 of them were involved in an earlier accident. They had sought medical attention at a local hospital and was being sent in ambulance to a bigger hospital when this happened.

https://english.manoramaonline.com/n...-palakkad.html
Old 10th June 2019, 09:59   #28690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeganatu View Post
I hate those barricades which seem to be rampant in TN. Wish people would just slow down at junctions instead.
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 10:24   #28691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
I hate those barricades which seem to be rampant in TN. Wish people would just slow down at junctions instead.
They are indeed a problem, especially on highways near villages/towns. After travelling for good speeds, I feel that all the cars/buses/trucks on highways seem to push each other to make way between the barricades as fast as they can so that they can go ahead.

I thought why Tamil Nadu is doing this, but I have seen in Telangana also that these barricades are being setup near villages/towns.

The good intention could be slowing down the vehicles near villages/towns but I feel they are doing more bad than good.
bvasista is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 10:36   #28692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Absolutely, these are a huge menace on the national highways and also inside the city of late. But, what can the law enforcement do, vehicles are driven too fast and locals tend to cross road without any care. Now these barricades are being gradually replaced with Red, white and Blue blinker lights at most of the junctions. This is helping at least me, catches my eye from a fair distance.

NHAI: lets make this highway a six lane highway.
Police Dept: Vehicles are going too fast lets make it one lane slowway, put barricades.
Me: implement better speed control measures and let me drive with a higher average speed within the speed limits.
Jerryaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 10:43   #28693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
THe girl was completely oblivious to the entire potential carnage she caused and just drove on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The woman on the scooter in front of me stopped abruptly in the right most lane without any indication, and her pillion friend jumped off the bike, only to climb the divider a few seconds later! I had to brake and swerve a little to avoid her!
They are lucky to live yet another day! People on roads here wont fear for their lives, trust the oncoming vehicles without even realizing that they are lucky today. I wish 2012 movie was true and fresh life could be started with better minds and senses.

The only place where I saw sensible people talking and discussing about how to drive on roads is here - Team-BHP. I stay just about 12 - 15 Mins from my office and travel on my bike every day. In this small travel time, I see all these types of non sense and so called educated but illiterate people with software company ID cards displayed.

Just a while ago I reached office. One guy was having a slice of watermelon in his hand while crossing the divided road and looking to the left side of the road when he has to look to the right side. I was in my car and my continuous honking also did not disturb him a bit. He reached the divider, stood there and happily biting his slice of freshly cut water melon.
bvasista is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 11:15   #28694
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is at the end of a wide open 6 lane stretch which currently terminates at a 3 way 'T' shaped junction. My home lies halfway through this 6 laned stretch; land acquisition is on to further extend these 6 lanes all the way to the Trichy highway.

I'd posted a picture maybe 4-5 months ago on this thread after I saw a Swift doing 100 Kmph+ rolling over. That accident's spot is very close to this junction.

All I can say is, my family has skin in the game on this risky stretch - so I've invested in a car which my wife can drive our kid to school past this madcap road and junction. I can't have her and our kid on a 2 wheeler - especially here. And for the days when using the 2 wheeler is inevitable, I've even gotten my kid a small pink kids' helmet. Buying a second car raised many eyebrows all around, but I was adamant throughout.
Old 10th June 2019, 14:54   #28695
BHPian

Quote:

I'm also appalled by the bystander who was trying to 'help' the severely injured rider by agressively pulling his hands (or legs) to lift him. He probably injured the rider more by that action. Why try to lift/pull him when he was laying there on the road on flat surface and the vehicles were stopped at a safe distance? Call 108 and let the paramedics take care properly unless you know there is no way ambulance is coming there soon and life is at risk if not transported immediately. This need to be advertised to masses.
Yieldway17 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks