Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2019, 23:22   #28711
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
What needs to be avoided is sticking to the right/fast lane next(and dangerously close) to the divider and use the right lane only for overtaking manoeuvres before returning back to the left lane.
Yeah, that's obvious observation, but the Brezza was tailgating on the left lane to overtake my car and Innova in front was switching lanes, so I thought holding the right lane was the correct thing (at that moment).
Old 11th June 2019, 08:25   #28712
BHPian

Car runs through barricades, crashes 2 bikes in Chennai: At least 3 people injured
The police are on the lookout for the red car and its driver, who could have been a minor, they believe.

Read further@: https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...injured-103306

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th June 2019 at 21:45. Reason: Minor spacing
virgopal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 08:29   #28713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
More than the fact that barricades are present (most of them thankfully have reflective stickers, some of them even have flashing lights on them) , it is the inconsistency of the gaps between them that is the real killer. Absolute morons are in charge of placing them, it seems. Some of them are two, some are three , and some three ones are placed too close to each other, causing panic braking and subsequent rear ending. People assume that if the previous barricades could be maneuvered smoothly, then the next one can be as well, only to have a last second surprise.
Agreed, you are right on money. But, some of the barricades are so old that the center advertisement part are missing. These are very difficult to see even in daylight unless you are too close to comfort. They are becoming notorious as were the Bangalore speed breakers sometime back, can come up anywhere, unmarked, uninformed and anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
If they adopted a standard of leaving the middle lane free on all the barricades would that even work? One or two fender benders and people then realize "if you see a barricade just slow down, it is better than slamming into one while doing 140".
This is easier said than done, I personally know of a location where the center lane was left free by blocking the other two lanes. But, someone felt it is not serving the purpose so they moved it to cover 1/5th of the middle lane as well.
Old 11th June 2019, 18:16   #28714
BHPian

Looks like Christmas came early for these onlookers. Our fellow Indian brothers, shamelessly & gleefully stealing liquor from an accident scene.

Not sure if this was before or after the victims were rescued. Help in translation of the news report would be appreciated.

The worst part is that these people, despite stooping so low, will be proud of their achievements rather than being ashamed of themselves.
jailbird_fynix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 07:25   #28715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
Looks like Christmas came early for these onlookers. Our fellow Indian brothers, shamelessly & gleefully stealing liquor from an accident scene

The worst part is that these people, despite stooping so low, will be proud of their achievements rather than being ashamed of themselves.
As per the report no one cared to check if the driver or the passengers, if any, were taken to hospital or not. Everyone was busy stealing the liquor and moreover the place were this happened is unknown as someone uploaded the video on youtube and the news channel picked it up.
atulsian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 08:19   #28716
BHPian

https://twitter.com/imcomrade/status...06748600848384

Translation: Happened last week near our area. The motorist died on spot, however the man who caused the accident coolly walked off with his bicycle.
jpcoolguy is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 08:56   #28717
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post

Translation: Happened last week near our area. The motorist died on spot, however the man who caused the accident coolly walked off with his bicycle.
Oh my god. This is so tragic and equally makes my blood boil. When it comes to basic civic sense / road sense we really truly are bottom of the pile stupid and selfish. Complete disregard to anything by cyclist in his quest to cross the road.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th June 2019 at 21:46. Reason: Spacing in quoted post
Axe77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 10:07   #28718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Oh my god. This is so tragic and equally makes my blood boil. When it comes to basic civic sense / road sense we really truly are bottom of the pile stupid and selfish. Complete disregard to anything by cyclist in his quest to cross the road.
He is not crossing the road, just merging with the main road from a side road and there is ample space in the left side of the road. More disturbing thing is he didn't even bother to check the motorist and just picked up his cycle and went away.
Old 12th June 2019, 11:14   #28719
BHPian

Quote:

I also stay near this area and shocked to see the man take his cycle very casually to leave the scene. He must have thought, why should I get into trouble for a "small mistake" - not checking the road while crossing. His stupidity costed a life.

Like in many cities/towns/villages across India, people in this area feel that these roads are there for crossing without bothering to check for traffic - as if he is walking from his living room to bedroom.

3 or 4 months ago, about 2 KMs from the same area, I was behind a truck from quite a distance. The truck came to a sudden stop due to which the tyres screeched and halted in the dusty road. I realized something was fishy and also stopped to the left instead of overtaking it. I saw a man in his 50s, smiling and finished crossing the road after the truck stopped. The truck driver was able to stop the truck in time to avoid crushing the man under his wheels.

Quoting from another thread. What NPV told was very hard hitting to me when I read yesterday because its true
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
We're past redemption, I really don't have any hope that our people will change for good, very sad indeed!
bvasista is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 11:58   #28720
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I had a same version of this happen to me at 6 AM one fine day in Adyar (Chennai) back in 2002. The only difference is, I am alive to tell this tale because I chose to hit the cyclist who came out of a bylane rather than braking or swerving my dad's Chetak and possibly ending up under the lorry's wheels.

Our Chetak toppled and dragged on for 3 - 4 metres with me and my friend somehow escaping unhurt. The cyclist's right leg was all bashed up. He was limping but could move by himself. I offered to help him but he seemed to be contrite and his guilt didn't let him demand anything of me.

Last edited by locusjag : 12th June 2019 at 12:06.
locusjag is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 12:43   #28721
BHPian

Quote:

Very tragic. This is in Padur near Chennai and I cross this exact spot every weekday on my way to work. It could have been me. The cycle rider need to be identified and charged.
Old 12th June 2019, 13:07   #28722
Senior - BHPian

The cyclist managed to walk away because no-one noticed that he probably caused the accident and most people would have assumed at that time that the lorry driver drove rashly and hit the cyclist / biker. I wouldn't be surprised if the trucker was stopped and beaten up for no fault of his.

Looking back, the biker's only issue was that he was driving too close to the truck when trying to overtake on the left. Whatever the case, there is no way he could have anticipated the cyclist barging in. Was he wearing a helmet? I doubt it would have helped in this accident though.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th June 2019 at 21:46. Reason: Minor spacing for improved readability
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 13:50   #28723
Senior - BHPian

These cyclists are an absolute menace on the roads. On my solo drive from Delhi to Kolkata, near Gaya, I saw a cyclist crossing the road. I therefore changed my direction to go behind him, however the moron suddenly decide to make a u-turn in the middle of the road. Thank god I braked just in time. The funny part was neither of us, nor the public spoke a single word. I just came out and checked if the car was fine, which it was, and was then on the way. A dashcam video of the same.

Altocumulus is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 14:31   #28724
BHPian

Quote:
He is not crossing the road, just merging with the main road from a side road and there is ample space in the left side of the road. More disturbing thing is he didn't even bother to check the motorist and just picked up his cycle and went away.
I stay very near by this area - Padur and know this place well. Its the parking place of Nilgiris super market. The reason why he came straight down instead of sticking to left side of the road while merging could be this - there is a slight slope/incline and then dusty/sand area before the actual tar road starts from where the man on cycle started. This is not clearly visible from the camera angle.

He may have wanted to ride only on the tar road. Hence he came down and turned his cycle to left side when he hit the biker. Biker was also at a good speed because he was overtaking the truck.

Definitely the cycle man must have stopped safely to check for traffic before coming on to the road.
bvasista is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 22:02   #28725
BHPian

I hate to be the bearer of such bizarre news on this thread, but check this out.

6 cows stuffed inside an Ecosport died when the cattle traffickers who were escaping with the animals in the vehicle turned turtle near Beltangady. The driver escaped the scene after the accident.

They're not humans, but a life is a life. More than that, this is an eye opener about how the meat is being transported around. I don't want to get into the religious/political side of things here, but I'm pretty sure that is what led to these animals being stuffed into an SUV in the first place.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190612wa0022.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190612wa0023.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190612wa0024.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190612wa0026.jpg

Source

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th June 2019 at 21:43. Reason: Minor spacing
jailbird_fynix is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks