Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2019, 11:25   #28756
Ice
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
These cyclists are an absolute menace on the roads. On my solo drive from Delhi to Kolkata, near Gaya, I saw a cyclist crossing the road. I therefore changed my direction to go behind him, however the moron suddenly decide to make a u-turn in the middle of the road. Thank god I braked just in time. The funny part was neither of us, nor the public spoke a single word. I just came out and checked if the car was fine, which it was, and was then on the way. A dashcam video of the same.
One thing I've learned, mate. Honk and go slow whenever there is even a slight built up area. Lucky cyclist. Lucky you.
Old 18th June 2019, 11:56   #28757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
When will they ever learn? This happened during a College Bus Day celebration in Chennai. Look at them drop like flies. Although, it looks like nobody was hurt.
Be careful kids, Uncle Darwin is watching.
Fortunately the biker did everything possible to make it happen as they were holding the placard dangerously close to electrical wires.

Last edited by ampere : 18th June 2019 at 12:01. Reason: removed video link from quoted post
kskthere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 13:37   #28758
BHPian

Quote:
When will they ever learn? This happened during a College Bus Day celebration in Chennai. Look at them drop like flies. Although, it looks like nobody was hurt.

What a bunch of idiots!

If you watch closely the reason for this incident is the idiot (with blue shirt) riding the bike in front of the bus. He is watching the bus over his shoulder and stalls his bike about 3 seconds into the video. This forces the bus driver to brake suddenly to avoid running over the biker idiot .

Rest is just Newton's first law of motion in action.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st June 2019 at 06:39. Reason: Spacing
srvm is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 15:50   #28759
BHPian

Quote:
.. Look at them drop like flies...
This reminded me of my school days, when we had to rely on local buses to get to our school in the nearby city. A distant cousin was very keen on sitting in that location on the bus (i.e. top front), and would occupy it whenever there was a free spot.

One fine day,while returning back, the bus driver had to break hard on a turn, and unlike the folks in this video, he went like a missile Thankfully, this being the rural Rajasthan of early 90s, he landed straight on a sand dune, and the only casualty was his ego

RaviK is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 17:47   #28760
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The biker is to be blamed for being the causative factor for the mishap. Brickbats to the driver for the illegal overload and of course bouquets to him for being so vigilant and proactive to put the overloaded bus to a grinding halt, immediately when the youngsters started getting toppled, but the biker, braking, toppling of youngsters are all interlinked. The youngsters are also to be blamed for getting comfortable on the rooftop of the bus. Luckily, no major incident happened.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 18th June 2019 at 17:52.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 21:03   #28761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The biker is to be blamed for being the causative factor for the mishap. Brickbats to the driver for the illegal overload and of course bouquets to him for being so vigilant and proactive to put the overloaded bus to a grinding halt, immediately when the youngsters started getting toppled, but the biker, braking, toppling of youngsters are all interlinked. The youngsters are also to be blamed for getting comfortable on the rooftop of the bus. Luckily, no major incident happened.
Can’t blame the driver for overloading as drivers and crew members who don’t cooperate for their ‘celebrations’ are sometimes assaulted by these morons.
Yieldway17 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 12:24   #28762
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Brickbats to the driver for the illegal overload ...The youngsters are also to be blamed for getting comfortable on the rooftop of the bus. Luckily, no major incident happened.
Adding on to Yieldway17's reply to you - here's added perspective from a localite (is that even a word?!). These youngsters are from certain Arts and Science colleges in Chennai which once boasted of erudite and selfless alumni like Rajaji and many more illustrious leaders, CEOs, bureaucrats etc.

Then, along came a tsunami in the form of global outsourcing from developed countries. The best minds with pockets to back them started going to Engineering colleges. Slowly and perceptibly, only lazy or politically connected students or students from lower-income backgrounds began to study in these Arts and Science colleges. Violence and anti-social activities by the so-called "arts college students" is a recognized phenomenon in Chennai.

On a related note, only politically connected individuals or sons of lawyers go to law colleges in Tamil Nadu. Law college students are also well known to become violent at the drop of a coin.

When any of these students tell a bus driver/conductor that they want to hijack the bus for whatever reasons, you can be sure that they'll follow instructions to the 'T'.

PS:

1) I am not tainting any and everyone who study in arts and science colleges. Just an observation with which Chennaites would agree.

2) I know of a personal friend who was not only attacked by law college students, but a false criminal case was foisted on him by them and he's a fugitive and became a mercenary gunman today in Afghanistan working alongside NATO forces because he's a target back in India.

locusjag is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 12:34   #28763
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
2) I know of a personal friend who was not only attacked by law college students, but a false criminal case was foisted on him by them and he's a fugitive and became a mercenary gunman today in Afghanistan working alongside NATO forces because he's a target back in India.
Sorry, what????
Seems he's in s better position than ever to return now, no.
mayankk is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 08:58   #28764
BHPian

Another tragic life lost due to a drunk teen driving a Creta in Mumbai.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/mumba...1KqWxyuyH.html
Quote:
A 33-year-old businessman, who was heading to his Andheri home in an app-based cab, was killed on Monday, after a 19-year-old allegedly driving drunk crashed his SUV into the cab on the Western Express Highway (WEH) in Goregaon (East)
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-d9umozqucaah8oy.jpg  

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st June 2019 at 06:40. Reason: Spacing
shajoshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 14:45   #28765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajoshi View Post
This is the main reason I prefer having my own car rather than depending on cabs.

Only one of the 300+ cabs I booked in the past 3 years had rear seatbelts. The cab drivers cut the rear seatbelts. The only 1 of 300 cabs with rear seatbelts was an Etios which had rear seatbelts tucked beneath seat cover and I had to excavate the seatbelts out like an archaeologist, spending 5 minutes.

Rear seatbelt would have helped this gentleman. RIP.

Last edited by Arwin07 : 20th June 2019 at 14:55.
Arwin07 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 16:06   #28766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Luckily, no major incident happened.
Might seem harsh, but I actually think it's quite unlucky that a few of these geniuses didn't perish in this episode. Would have made others think twice before attempting such stunts in the future.

On a lighter note, this clip would be a good candidate to be used for a "wear your seat belt" campaign, eh?

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 20th June 2019 at 16:07.
comfortablynumb is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 18:08   #28767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajoshi View Post
Seeing the damage on both cars, it seems the Celerio came in the Creta's path, such as while taking a turn or driving on the wrong side. If both were following their lanes/roads, damage would have been on the right side of both cars instead of left.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 20:55   #28768
BHPian

Received this on Whatsapp
arungeorge is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 03:11   #28769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arungeorge View Post
Received this on Whatsapp
Goodness gracious! The Baleno has been reduced to a pancake! Was there anyone inside?

From the number plate, looks to be a WB car, Baleno delta & only 3 months old. Any more info on the accident?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st June 2019 at 06:36. Reason: Removing url from quoted post
Old 21st June 2019, 09:04   #28770
BHPian

Happened at Bolpur- Illambajar, West Bengal. Tyre burst caused the accident.The truck was overloaded and one person killed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
Goodness gracious! The Baleno has been reduced to a pancake! Was there anyone inside?

From the number plate, looks to be a WB car, Baleno delta & only 3 months old. Any more info on the accident?
arungeorge is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed