Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2019, 15:21   #28801
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Accident involving a Santro and an Endeavour ....

SUV driver did not switch on indicator and waited for oncoming traffic.
That's one negative of SUVs - the high GC. A 800kg vehicle simply toppled a 2 tonne vehicle. Even if you climb onto a brick sized stone obstacle at 80+ speeds, which is more likely in the nights due to poor visibility, most SUVs would topple and roll over. Not the case with sedans though. Even if you dodged the obstacle just in time a sedan would have a oil sump bust and some underbody damage. Nothing much.

The Santro seems to hardly have any damage compared to the damage on the Endy (partly by the Santro, mostly by itself). Had it been a European sedan (barring Renault) in place of the Endy, things would have quite different.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 24th June 2019 at 15:33. Reason: trimmed quoted post
bharatbits is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 15:46   #28802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Accident involving a Santro and an Endeavour.
More than the crash, what surprised me was the Dzire driver's quick reaction to the situation. First, he didn't come to a dead halt (which many would have, myself included) when the humongous Endy toppled. He continued to move away.

At 0:27, he again sped up just in time to avoid being hit by the Santro. Hard to come across such attentive drivers these days.

Last edited by self_driven : 24th June 2019 at 15:51.
self_driven is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 17:27   #28803
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Didn't even look. Or useless at judging speed.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 19:32   #28804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Happened in Indore yesterday:
That's one scary pileup! That car which is closest to the truck is a complete mess. Remaining others have varying levels of damage.
One more reason I'd prefer putting myself inside an SUV than a Sedan.

Quote:
Accident involving a Santro and an Endeavour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Didn't even look. Or useless at judging speed.
Probably a result of that typical 'I am the bigger car, traffic, especially the tiny ones will stop for me' attitude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
That's one negative of SUVs - the high GC. A 800kg vehicle simply toppled a 2 tonne vehicle. Even if you climb onto a brick sized stone obstacle at 80+ speeds, which is more likely in the nights due to poor visibility, most SUVs would topple and roll over. Not the case with sedans though. Even if you dodged the obstacle just in time a sedan would have a oil sump bust and some underbody damage. Nothing much.

The Santro seems to hardly have any damage compared to the damage on the Endy (partly by the Santro, mostly by itself). Had it been a European sedan (barring Renault) in place of the Endy, things would have quite different.
Agreed. A high CG always plays against an SUV. But to my above point, I'd rather be t-boned sitting in an Endeavour (or any other comparable SUV) by a Santro rather than the other way around.
Also, that's how it usually is, the one that get's t-boned comes off worse - body & frame damage, irrespective of the vehicle. Compared to the other vehicle which has its crumple zones to absorb the impact.
McLaren Roxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 20:16   #28805
BHPian

A while ago there was a lot of discussion on the missing k truss of the endeavour. Could it's absence be contributing to this type of accident.
terra85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 22:14   #28806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra85 View Post
Could it's absence be contributing to this type of accident.
Not sure of the technicalities involved but a tall vehicle rolling over after a T-bone crash isn't uncommon.

I've seen a few such videos on Youtube; here's one:

Instant justice!

Last edited by self_driven : 24th June 2019 at 22:22.
self_driven is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 22:54   #28807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
https://twitter.com/imcomrade/status...06748600848384

Translation: Happened last week near our area. The motorist died on spot, however the man who caused the accident coolly walked off with his bicycle.
Hi,
Anyone know whether the cyclist was caught in this case?
What worries me more is that not a single soul came forward to check on the rider. Poor guy lying there dead probably the instant he went under, and no one bothered to check.
Hope this changes after the new amendment to the motor vehicles amendment bill, with the good Samaritan clause.
Old 24th June 2019, 23:09   #28808
BHPian

Quote:
A while ago there was a lot of discussion on the missing k truss of the endeavour. Could it's absence be contributing to this type of accident.
No. That missing component is for chassis rigidity. It has no bearing on vehicle stability.
McLaren Roxx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 23:40   #28809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All higher sprung vehicles (SUVs, Crossovers, MUVs) are more vulnerable to rollovers/overturning quite easily be it while being driven at higher speeds around corners, sudden lane changes, frontal-offset collisions or easily rolling over taking a hit sideways as in this scenario all due to higher center of gravity and consequently lesser stability compared to lower sprung hatchbacks and sedans.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 09:29   #28810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The K truss provides rigidity while towing or pushing, other than that it is just an additional weight, and in a crash at an angle the K truss may even carry the shock ahead.
If we do not use a vehicle for towing a trailer, it's absence is better.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 12:56   #28811
BHPian

Isn't it simple physics? The Endy or the Creta were T-boned by a large force. The grippy nature of the tires provided a point around which the force could pivot and it created a turning force, i.e torque to turn the car around the pivot.
The larger the radius of the moving force, the greater the torque.

Sorry if I am completely out of my depth here.
bharat4ever is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 18:26   #28812
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Isn't it simple physics? The Endy or the Creta were T-boned by a large force. The grippy nature of the tires provided a point around which the force could pivot and it created a turning force, i.e torque to turn the car around the pivot.
The larger the radius of the moving force, the greater the torque.
Of course.
I think the confusion is how come it rolled over, rather than just skid sideways and remain upright. Had the endeavour had a low Center of Gravity, it would not have rolled. Let me illustrate with a crude diagram. The distance H is the reason behind the car rolling and not remaining upright. Had H been really low, for example, in case of a sedan (or even negative, in case of a sports car), the rollover wouldn't have happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-endeavour-toppling.png  

Last edited by venkyhere : 25th June 2019 at 18:31.
venkyhere is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 19:28   #28813
BHPian

Quote:
Accident involving a Santro and an Endeavour

I hope everyone involved escaped with minimal possible injuries other than those sustained heavily by cars. Santro driver can be seen coming out of the car.

Arrogance and overconfidence of being invincible in an SUV. Lesson learnt a hard way. David killed Goliath. --NOM -- I am sure he is alive, but his world has turned upside down.

Sarcasm: One question to be asked to the endy owner, did he forget to install indicators in the car when he purchased other accessories or does he really knows that such a feature exists in his car, if he is not aware: other than only driving around.

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 25th June 2019 at 19:32.
saurabh2711 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 10:05   #28814
BHPian

Came across this on FB. Not clear on any casualties if any...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rush...8501816082614/

Drive safe...
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-capture.jpg  

sumathindra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 16:56   #28815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Came across this on FB. Not clear on any casualties if any...

Drive safe...
When we were discussing about the need for under-run bars in trucks, this accident opens up a new debate for under-run bars in buses. The verna is literally under the bus. If the driver survived then it would be a resurrection kind of miracle.

The car driver could be doing good speeds to go under a bus. Sympathy for his/her family and friends.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks