Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2019, 10:34   #29236
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Unlikely that they are blaming the bigger vehicle. They are blaming the car for braking suddenly. In our country when rear-ended, the vehicle in the front is blamed for slowing down or stopping.
I think that was what was said earlier. They blamed the bigger vehicle, india008's car in this case.

Last edited by swissknife : 9th August 2019 at 10:37.
Old 9th August 2019, 11:32   #29237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
...I pity these college going students and feel sorry for them. Their parenting could have been better.
A friend who was on a stint in a European country, narrated an incident. He was in a rush, to catch a train. The signal for pedestrians on the road across which lay the train station, was red. On the other side, a middle aged man with his kid was also waiting to cross. My friend, being in a hurry, looked either way to make sure there was no vehicle in sight for as far as he could see, and darted across. The gentleman stopped him, and asked him if he thought about the impact his action could have on the kid - the kid will think that it's okay to cross the signal even if it's red. The point to note is, he didn't bother to talk about the personal safety but about what and how kids pick up. What followed was a 10 minute lecture and he had to take the next train to office.

Now, contrast this with parenting in Mera Bharat Mahan, or in this context, Bangs-galore. With the frequent showers, we get to see parents eligible for Darwin Awards - riding through puddles, squeezing in between large vehicles negotiating caters, in addition to the usual antics of riding without helmets, driving with the kids on the front seat and without seat belts, etc
silversteed is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 11:39   #29238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
I think that was what was said earlier. They blamed the bigger vehicle, india008's car in this case.
I mean if the car had rear-ended the scooter, the scooter would be blamed for stopping abruptly. My point was maintaining sufficient gap is not emphasized.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
A friend who was on a stint in a European country, narrated an incident.
That is a wonderful narrative
Quote:
Now, contrast this with parenting in Mera Bharat Mahan, or in this context, Bangs-galore. With the frequent showers, we get to see parents eligible for Darwin Awards - riding through puddles, squeezing in between large vehicles negotiating caters, in addition to the usual antics of riding without helmets, driving with the kids on the front seat and without seat belts, etc
Here, when there is a kid on the bike/scooter, the rider gets an invisible protective shield. All rules are suspended for them.

Last edited by msdivy : 9th August 2019 at 11:50.
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 16:04   #29239
Team-BHP Support

Helmet-less Indian parent riding like Valentino Rossi with a helmet-less kid in tow: 'You're endangering my kid's safety by not letting me ride how I want to!'.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 08:36   #29240
BHPian

An accident near Theni, Tamilnadu, 3 days ago:

4 died in this accident:
1&2. The erring motorcyclist and the pillion woman.
3. A poor motorcyclist whom the bus hit after swerving immediately after hitting the first motorcycle.
4. A youth who was standing in foot steps of the bus fell into its wheels while the bus was swerving.

RIP.

4 deaths because a motorcyclist couldn't 'see' the bus or who thought that the bus will stop for him to cross, and a careless youth who thought that standing on foot steps of bus is heroism.

Kudos to the owner of the private bus to have installed 5 cameras covering various angles around the bus.
Arwin07 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 09:03   #29241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
An accident near Theni, Tamilnadu, 3 days ago:
The second video (side cam) is horrifying to watch. I get the feeling that if the bus driver had swerved to his left, probably 2 deaths could've been avoided. The youth was thrown out because of the swerve to the right and the second motorist could've been saved as well. Not sure about the two who initially caused the accident.

RIP to the departed.
dragntailonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 09:53   #29242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4 deaths because a motorcyclist couldn't 'see' the bus or who thought that the bus will stop for him to cross, and a careless youth who thought that standing on foot steps of bus is heroism.

Kudos to the owner of the private bus to have installed 5 cameras covering various angles around the bus.

The bus driver will be charged for allowing one person to ride on his for board, and swerving to the Right side of the road and hitting the oncoming biker.
If he had just hit the couple that turned into his path, he would have been bailed out in hours, and after attending one hearing in district court the balance hearings would have been left to the lawyers.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 10:09   #29243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4. A youth who was standing in foot steps of the bus fell into its wheels while the bus was swerving.

I think the foot step rider was a Police Man on duty in full Uniform.

Value of CCTV is priceless these days!

RIP!
svsantosh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 12:00   #29244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
The bus driver will be charged for allowing one person to ride on his for board, and swerving to the Right side of the road and hitting the oncoming biker.

Rahul
Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
I think the foot step rider was a Police Man on duty in full Uniform.

RIP!
According to news reports, the foot step rider is the bus conductor (ticket checker), hence the khaki dress.

The 1st motorcyclist and the bus conductor died on the spot.
The 2nd motorcyclist and pillion of 1st motorcycle were taken to hospital with serious injuries where the 2nd motorcyclist succumbed to his injuries. The fate of the pillion rider is unclear. She died in hospital according to some sources and still under intensive treatment according to some sources.

Given that the foot step rider is the bus conductor, will the bus driver still be liable for his death? I was under the impression that it is the duty of conductor to prevent people from traveling in foot steps. Now that the conductor himself made the mistake and died, what does the law say about the liability of the bus driver in this accident?

Last edited by Arwin07 : 10th August 2019 at 12:03.
Arwin07 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 17:08   #29245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
According to news reports, the foot step rider is the bus conductor (ticket checker), hence the khaki dress.
I don't think so. The conductor comes out of the bus at 1:04s in the second video. The guy on the footstep must be one of the policemen. Two other policemen also gets down after the accident.

The biker looks to have mis-judged the speed of the bus which looks to be quite fast for that road.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 17:58   #29246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
I don't think so. The conductor comes out of the bus at 1:04s in the second video. The guy on the footstep must be one of the policemen. Two other policemen also gets down after the accident.
https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le28808834.ece

This is a report which mentions that he is a conductor. Many local Tamil newspaper also mention that he is the bus conductor and is only 23 years old. RIP.

Many private buses in Tamilnadu have 2 conductors- one in the front and one in the back of the bus.
Old 10th August 2019, 19:31   #29247
BHPian

Was lucky not to kiss the back of Ritz

india008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 22:32   #29248
Senior - BHPian

It reminds me of a similar situation in bumper to bumper traffic where I managed to brake on time though it had to be applied suddenly but ended up being kissed by the car that was tailing behind.

The lesson learn't is to go easy on the accelerator even if the vehicle ahead moves ahead faster and maintain sufficient distance so that if the driver ahead brakes suddenly, I can stop gracefully even accounting for the vehicle behind who may not me maintaining sufficient distance.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 10th August 2019 at 22:34.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 23:40   #29249
Distinguished - BHPian

That situation calls for what I name stopping distance for two. When tailgated, I always drop back from the car in front.
Quote:
Originally Posted by india008 View Post
Was lucky not to kiss the back of Ritz
It looks as it you were far too close. You could say to me that you stopped, which means you weren't too close. Well, yes, but you also admit to an element of luck.

Keep distance: don't need luck!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 01:06   #29250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It looks as it you were far too close.
Indeed. And given how everyone else seems to be driving, it's all the more likely that there's someone right behind him too.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 11th August 2019 at 01:10.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed