Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2019, 21:37   #29311
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH1N1G4MI View Post
Ah, a fellow gamer

I'll share what I know, this is a classic example of lift-off oversteer.
I think this is a classic case of aquaplaning. One can see the swift going into a puddle of water just before losing control. If a tyre cannot displace the water at the rate of forward motion, it is no more a tyre. Only way to get out of situation is to either not to get into it or not to steer and let the engine slow down the vehicle.
purohitanuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 12:16   #29312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
I seriously hate stereotyping people but have to make an exception for Swift drivers on highways. The rate of Swift drivers who drive crazily i.e. zig zag overtakes, overtaking on shoulders and non existent spaces, overtaking an already overtaking vehicle, unmentionable speeds for a small car, tailgating etc. is definitely higher than other cars, may be it's the small size and a decent power which enables this deadly combo.

In TN highways, whenever I see a Swift (especially ones with KL plates), I make sure to give way and get away from them as much as possible but even if I couldn't due to traffic conditions, they will find a way.
Let me stereotype a bit further, Diesel Swift drivers with either the L or V bike tyre variants!

Though I have seen an equal number of idiots from TN, KL and KA on our highways.
Turrrb0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 12:35   #29313
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
I seriously hate stereotyping people but have to make an exception for Swift drivers on highways. The rate of Swift drivers who drive crazily i.e. zig zag overtakes, overtaking on shoulders and non existent spaces, overtaking an already overtaking vehicle, unmentionable speeds for a small car, tailgating etc.
Let me add more to your stereotype, it is more or less same situation up here in North too. Be is UP, Delhi, Haryana, Punjab, Rajasthan or any other state - the guys driving their Swifts and DZires (L and V trims with those 165 section puny tyres - as already mentioned by @Turrrb0) feel like they can race even against the likes of Audis and Mercs - and they even win. I have seen these tin cans running at 150+ kph speeds on Yamuna and Eastern Peripheral expressway and if you ask the owners why they drive so fast, well; they have come from some Alto or Wagon R most of the times and now they own a big and fast car - that is supposed to go fast!
VKumar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 14:33   #29314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
I think this is a classic case of aquaplaning. One can see the swift going into a puddle of water just before losing control. If a tyre cannot displace the water at the rate of forward motion, it is no more a tyre. Only way to get out of situation is to either not to get into it or not to steer and let the engine slow down the vehicle.
It is a case of aquaplaning, no doubt. But the car spun out starting from the rear possibly because the driver lifted off from the accelerator or maybe because he braked, causing a shift in weight from the rear to the front. That was a great explanation by the member "SH1N1G4MI" who'd explained to me why you can typically attain superior grip even in rain/snow in lower gears. Yes, ideally one wouldn't be carrying speed in wet conditions, but the member with the unmentionable user ID () has wonderfully explained the physics behind the best way to minimize chances of aquaplaning at speed by using a lower gear.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 15:10   #29315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
It is a case of aquaplaning, no doubt. .. best way to minimize chances of aquaplaning at speed by using a lower gear.
Agree. However, I don't think any gear combination would work here as the physics is not to do with the traction on road , but to gain traction after displacing the water.

The lower gear theory might work on tight curves, snow where there is a pivotal balance between grip; not in case of aquaplaning.

For snow, the tyre thread gap would build snow wall for traction while rest of the tyre would flatten the snow. A lower gear would mean more weight transfer on front wheels (rocking effect) which would want to dig the wheels deeper into the snow. Simply said snow can be compressed but water cannot.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th August 2019 at 13:50. Reason: Spacing
purohitanuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 15:37   #29316
Distinguished - BHPian

The wet road was a factor, no doubt, but look, this guy tries a very sharp left accross one vehicle to avoid the oncoming vehicle. No need to discuss aquaplaning or safety-device abreviations. Seems to me that the only thing that could have made his manoeuvre possible would have been an expert handbrake turn! And he's no expert driver.

It was almost impossible that this would end anything like well.

Any news of what happened to the Swift driver (or did I miss it)?
Old 16th August 2019, 15:55   #29317
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Seems to me that the only thing that could have made his manoeuvre possible would have been an expert handbrake turn! And he's no expert driver.
Mr.Thad, Behold, for I have searched and found a not-too-old example from this thread of yet another wet road spinout:

I doubt if either of these cases were handbrake turns. The wet conditions have to be it, more so in the case of this Scorpio since it totally spins out as it approaches the puddle.
Old 16th August 2019, 17:06   #29318
Senior - BHPian

Another case of a minor driving a car and killing a pedestrian in Mysore - https://starofmysore.com/joy-drive-s...gYgConVwuUSA_U
Old 16th August 2019, 17:16   #29319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
aquaplaning or safety-device abreviations. Seems to me that the only thing that could have made his manoeuvre possible would have been an expert handbrake turn! And he's no expert driver.
Are you saying he landed up the way he did by using his hand brake? I don't think he may have used his hand brake since his front wheels seem to have locked up. He appears to have braked hard and locked his wheels after seeing the oncoming car, and after that he was just a passenger.
Old 16th August 2019, 18:38   #29320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Another case of a minor driving a car and killing a pedestrian in Mysore
Some more information in this report.

Quote:
At MUDA circle, the youngster lost control of the vehicle and hit two students who were crossing the road at the junction towards Maharani’s College. Ashwini, 18, was badly injured while her friend, Prema received minor injuries. Both girls were taken to KR Hospital and later shifted to a private hospital. Ashwini died soon after while Prema has been discharged.

Despite hitting the girls, the minor did not stop and while speeding away, rammed the MUDA secretary’s car which was ahead of him. After that, he hit a two-wheeler.

People chased the vehicle and waylaid it at the DC’s office. The boys were pulled out of the vehicle and thrashed. Angry locals also damaged the vehicle.

The KR traffic police rushed to the spot and took the minor and his friend into custody. A case was registered under IPC sections for causing death by negligence and rash and negligent driving. Police have also arrested Manjunath for giving the vehicle to a minor.
Old 16th August 2019, 22:52   #29321
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, I was not saying that the driver did a handbrake turn.

I'm saying that that might have been the only way to do the manoeuvre succesfully, and that even basic driving skills, let alone such stunts, were too much for him.

The only thing he attempted, finding himself between a rock and hard place, was a fast, sharp turn, on a wet road, and the consequences were inevitable.

locusjag, that's a horrible accident there! But no, that is not what I was saying.
Old 17th August 2019, 12:14   #29322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
This might look like a scene out of 'Dhoom 7', but unfortunately, it isn't.

Earlier today, I was stuck in traffic when I witnessed a similar incident. An Etios taxi tried to overtake another vehicle by speeding full on into the completely waterlogged left lane, thrashing water everywhere and (BAM!) ending up stuck in a deep, concealed pothole. I literally face-palmed myself. How can we be expected to feel sorry for such acts of idiocy?
Please have a look between 6 sec to 9 sec. It appears to be someone falling outside due to soft top and no belts.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th August 2019 at 13:48. Reason: Removing URL from quoted post & reducing spacing
Old 17th August 2019, 19:00   #29323
Senior - BHPian

https://www.ndtv.com/kolkata-news/ko...home-topscroll

Quote:
The driver of the Jaguar -- a 22-year-old man from a prominent Kolkata family-- reportedly fled the spot but was later arrested.
The crash took place at 1.50 am today in the vicinity of Kolkata's famous Park Street.

The accused, who was allegedly speeding down Shakespeare Sarani also known as Theatre Road, crashed into a Mercedes Benz car at the Loudon Street crossing. Both the luxury vehicles spun out of control and the Jaguar rammed the victims standing nearby
Lots of things in the story that we are familiar with in this thread. It's hard not to connect the dots - super car, 22 years, 1.50 am, well known family.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1fdoiajg_kolkataaccident650_625x300_17_august_19.jpg
BenjiRoss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 07:01   #29324
Senior - BHPian

This cctv coverage at at Maninagar junction shows a bus knocking down a pedestrian fatally. It appears to have happened about a week ago.
I wonder if the bus driver and pedestrian didn't see each other or they didn't anticipate what was about to happen. Maybe they each thought that the other would give way?

News coverage:
https://www.dnaindia.com/ahmedabad/r...ar-2781104/amp

PS: Apologies for the back to back posts. They are totally different and posted several hours apart and I'm unable to merge them.

Last edited by BenjiRoss : 18th August 2019 at 07:02.
Old 18th August 2019, 07:44   #29325
BHPian

BJP MP Roopa Ganguly's son rammed an Esteem into the wall of the Royal Calcutta Golf Club on Thursday evening. Witnesses said the car was being driven at a high speed. Initial reports suggested a case of DUI, but a blood test apparently dismissed those claims. Fortunately, no lives were lost. The young man miraculously survived the accident with cuts on his forehead due to the shattered windscreen.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-images.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-images-1.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Lots of things in the story that we are familiar with in this thread. It's hard not to connect the dots - super car, 22 years, 1.50 am, well known family.
Sharing some more photos of the incident:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190817wa0052.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190817wa0050.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190817wa0051.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190817wa0049.jpg
boniver is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks