Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2019, 12:04   #29416
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Mod note: Post edited, please use proper punctuation and capitalisation while composing posts, especially from mobile devices. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arungeorge View Post
Accident in Kerala. Hope the kid is safe.
This is irresponsible on multiple levels!

The driver does a customary check whether the coast is clear and then goes on to reverse his car, without ensuring that the child is definitely under supervision. The guy watching over the kid (presumably), goes off without a care in the world.

It is not clear whether the lady was always there or she just ran in from her household chore, but if it had been the former, this is absolutely ridiculous! just hope the kid is safe!

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th August 2019 at 12:11.
LeoChakraborthy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 12:54   #29417
Senior - BHPian

Happened a day back in Bangalore. Sad to see life's lost in such freak accidents. RIP

Jumping the divider used to be the norm on the highways off-late. And here it happens in the city limits too.

Courtesy: https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le29273707.ece
Quote:
The accident occurred on Attibele–Sarjapur road; night out for two families ends in tragedy

A night out for two families ended in tragedy after a two-year-old boy, his parents and their friend were killed on the spot in an accident on Attibele–Sarjapur road early on Tuesday.

Two others, the deceased friend’s husband and their two-year-old daughter, sustained injuries. According to the police, the driver lost control of the car, and it jumped the divider and collided with a passing truck.

The Yadavs hailed from Uttar Pradesh and lived in DS Max Layout at Billapur village on Sarjapur Road. Santosh, too, is a software engineer working in the city. “Anjani decided to take Santosh and his family out for dinner and went to a restaurant” said the police, and added that Anjani was driving the car.

While on their way back home at around 12.45 a.m., Anjani, who was allegedly speeding, lost control and rammed into the median on Attibele–Sarjapur road. On impact, the car jumped the divider and landed on the other side of the road where it collided with a truck. “The impact of the accident was such that the four the six occupants of the car died on the spot and the vehicle was completely damaged,” said the police.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-27bgtechieandhisfamilykilledinrdaccident.jpg

Last edited by balenoed_ : 29th August 2019 at 12:55.
Old 29th August 2019, 13:03   #29418
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoChakraborthy View Post
The driver does a customary check whether the coast is clear and then goes on to reverse his car, without ensuring that the child is definitely under supervision. The guy watching over the kid (presumably), goes off without a care in the world.
You should also take into account the height of the kid and the height of the bonnet and window line of the Innova. It would be quite impossible to spot a kid of that height in the immediate vicinity of the car. Perhaps, he should have kept an eye on the kid, but when you reverse such a big car around a small space, your focus will be more on not damaging the car, and that will be the case with anyone. It is very unfortunate that when the man is looking backwards and reversing, the kid comes to the front of the car, and that would be unexpected.

Rather, I feel leaving the kid unattended in such a situation is itself a bad idea. A similar incident happened with a kid being run over a brezza a few months back. This is more of a negligence related issue since the driver of the car clearly knew that the kid was outside the car, but he never bothered to check where he actually was, and drove over him. In case of the Innova driver, his last glance of the kid would be seeing it playing at a good distance from the car. Thats the difference.
audioholic is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 14:31   #29419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arungeorge View Post
Accident in Kerala. Hope the kid is safe.
I am always extra cautious when kids and toddlers are in the vicinity of the vehicle. I ensure not move the car if I lose sight of any child around. Also, when carrying my own son, never ever leave his hand in the parking lot or in a crowded area.

Every time I enter my parking lot with my son, I remind him to stay away from cars and do not run around or leave my hand. He has become self-aware at the age of 4 and keep a tight grip the moment we step in the basement.

Last edited by ajmat : 29th August 2019 at 15:03. Reason: Removing video from quote
grevvity is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 14:38   #29420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
You should also take into account the height of the kid and the height of the bonnet and window line of the Innova. It would be quite impossible to spot a kid of that height in the immediate vicinity of the car. Perhaps, he should have kept an eye on the kid, but when you reverse such a big car around a small space, your focus will be more on not damaging the car, and that will be the case with anyone. It is very unfortunate that when the man is looking backwards and reversing, the kid comes to the front of the car, and that would be unexpected.
+1
Its unfortunate. This kid is too small to be seen from driver's seat.
He is lucky as there were many instances where the kid's feet were very close to the wheels, the car could have easily run over his feet thereby injuring him seriously.
In all, looks like he just fell down - not much of an injury - I hope so.
Old 29th August 2019, 15:26   #29421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trave11er View Post
+1
This kid is too small to be seen from driver's seat.
That is exactly my point. Though, I don't squarely blame the driver here, in such cases, at least I believe that the driver should ensure that any child in the vicinity of the vehicle must be restricted by someone, from running anywhere close to the vehicle.
LeoChakraborthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 20:14   #29422
BHPian

The fact that a kid was even there in the surroundings means that the driver was careless! Because he did not ensure that the kid was either moved away from there or someone was ensuring that the kid was held.

Anticipation of potential dangers is the key to avoiding accidents.
Nalin1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 01:27   #29423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Happened a day back in Bangalore. Sad to see life's lost in such freak accidents. RIP

Jumping the divider used to be the norm on the highways off-late. And here it happens in the city limits too.

Courtesy: https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le29273707.ece

Attachment 1911231
A safety precaution if you're going to be the passenger-
If the driver isn't familiar to you, if you're not familiar with the driver's driving skills, if you don't have confidence on the driver- say it in a manner your prefer on the first instance itself and if possible get behind the wheels. Nothing can be done if all the drivers in the car are nutcases!

And, if your cab or bus driver speeding or driving recklessly, warn them and ask them to drive in a sane manner. If they don't oblige, get out and report them.

When you are behind the wheels, your attention should be 360 degrees regardless of the speed.
One should know the vehicles that comes behind, in the opposite lane, on the approaching roads, junctions. Expect the vehicle in front put their brakes on for no reason and hence always leave ample space for smooth breaking, expect the signal jumpers.

Driving is an art and most of the Indian drivers aren't fit to drive.

Nowadays I'm coming across many cars that carries teambhp stickers driving recklessly and teambhp must consider saving their image.
GladRagu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 11:27   #29424
Senior - BHPian

My office colleague was travelling to Chennai from Bangalore along with his mother in a cab this Tuesday (27th Aug).
Somewhere near Vellore, the cab hit a moving lorry resulting in instant death of his mother while his head banged against the A pillar. The driver escaped with minor injuries.
Has anyone come across this accident. If so, kindly share the details .
This accident seems to have occurred in the wee hours.
Old 30th August 2019, 19:05   #29425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
You should also take into account the height of the kid and the height of the bonnet and window line of the Innova. It would be quite impossible to spot a kid of that height in the immediate vicinity of the car.
Very true. Let me tell you an incident that happen to me on a busy day morning at Hosa Road Junction in Bangalore about a month ago.

I was in my car waiting for the traffic in front of me to clear and I could see a person standing near the right corner of the front bumper with a heavy bag in his right Hand, facing away from my car. When I could move my car, I thought I will wait till this man clears the way. As he moved, I was shocked to see that there was a toddler holding his left had and walking along with him ! I would have definitely hit the kid if I have moved the car by few feet!

As always, be careful.
Superleggera is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 22:40   #29426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
I like the way those rear wings open up in these cars.
I guess your correct. They do help in some way or the other.

Came accross these on Facebook.
As per the comments, the Santro faced absolutely no damages.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1567184368492.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1567184376553.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1567184370736.jpg
Old 31st August 2019, 05:59   #29427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulsian View Post
This incident happened to me yesterday while I was going out with family. This time saver jumped signal to save few minutes and bumped in directly. I don't know when will they learn and value their own life and other too.

There was one more guy who believe in the theory of "Bigger car is always at mistake" and asked me to come to Police Station, I told him that I've video proof and he walked away. Luckily, I was able to handle the whole situation as I had video proof of the rider's fault.
I think that is more of an insurance scam than a timesaver considering the way in which he just cooly jumped in front of your car.

Poor scamster got the shock of his life when you said you had a camera. Now not only will he have to return humiliated, he will also have to fix the damages to his scooter on his own.

If I were you, I'd call an officer to the scene, show him the footage and make him pay for the damages to the car as well.
SaiSW is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 09:05   #29428
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverKill View Post
the Santro faced absolutely no damages

Attachment 1911605

Attachment 1911604
I thought the rear was always built tougher than the front; seen this in pre-2011 cars.

Looks like newer cars are demonstrating the effectiveness of crumple zones.
Old 2nd September 2019, 07:20   #29429
Senior - BHPian

There was an accident in Tiruppur, Tamilnadu recently where a pregnant lady was a pillion rider. There was a bike-bus accident with the rider and pillion rider falling off the bike. Thankfully, although there were injuries, both survived as per the news report in Tamil.
The cctv capture shows the last moment only and it's difficult to say why they were so close to each other. Was the bus trying to overtake or did the bike drift towards the other lane.

https://m.behindwoods.com/ta/amp/new...-released.html
Old 2nd September 2019, 07:38   #29430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Was the bus trying to overtake or did the bike drift towards the other lane.
There was no OTHER LANE
Its just one, wide lane of a road.
FORTified is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks