Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2019, 01:03   #29566
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

I'm not sure. Traction control etc. are only as good as the physics of the car. If there isn't enough inherent grip, there's nothing electronics can do. The XUV500 is a pretty heavy car with high center of mass. Assuming those are non performance tires and the fact that most Indian cars have small brakes, I don't think anything could've saved the car.

Except if the driver wasn't driving fast in the rain and had 100% control of the car and knowing the adhesion limits of the car.
raystriker is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 11:31   #29567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sooraj View Post
Strong build quality of Ford ecosport saved the life of the driver.

https://www.rushlane.com/ford-ecospo...24033.html/amp
I don't think its just the build quality, a lot of other factors are at play here.
  • First, it doesn't look like the driver was over-speeding. The white car ahead of it moves far ahead, clearly this driver was maintaining sane speed which helped him significantly at the crucial moment when he had to brake.
  • Second, the driver clearly had a lot of focus on the road. Any distraction like fiddling with the music system or talking over phone could have resulted in a different situation.
  • Third, he seems to have maintained his cool & slammed hard at the brake instead of trying any superman stunts. This is what probably resulted in the car hitting the truck in a straight line instead of turning turtle, good job.
  • Fourth, as fellow member 'for_cars1' rightly pointed out, the car seems to have hit the soft shell which should have contributed in cushioning the impact to a large extent.
  • Finally, the driver should thank his stars that no other vehicle was tailgating him closely.
I would give equal credits to the driver and luck as much as build quality, if not more. Watching this video scared the daylights out of me & my wife. The auto-rickshaw on the left was extremely lucky, a few seconds difference or a different lane and it would not have ended well for that auto-rickshaw.

BTW which road in Bangalore is this empty at 8:30 in the morning !! Its most likely the elevated flyover between E-City & Silk-Board. I cant think of any other road where even movement is possible so freely at that hour.

Last edited by SR-71 : 16th September 2019 at 11:50.
SR-71 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 11:48   #29568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
BTW which road in Bangalore is this empty at 8:30 in the morning !! Its most likely the elevated flyover between E-City & Silk-Board. I cant think of any other road where even movement is possible so freely at 8:30 AM in Bangalore.
This is likely to be the KIAL expressway between Hebbal and KIAL. The E-City elevated road is 2+2 lane while the rest of the section beyond E-City is 6 lane but not elevated.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 11:49   #29569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raystriker View Post
I'm not sure. Traction control etc. are only as good as the physics of the car. If there isn't enough inherent grip, there's nothing electronics can do. The XUV500 is a pretty heavy car with high center of mass.

The whole point of ESP/Traction control is to act when there is low grip. ESP equipped vehicle would have reduced throttle and started applying selective braking , the moment it detected tyres slipping. ESP is there to override irrational actions by humans and it is always faster than a human detecting wheel slip and acting accordingly.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 16th September 2019 at 11:54.
Old 16th September 2019, 13:53   #29570
Team-BHP Support

Its nothing to do with the ESP, the car hit the divider and the resultant impact caused it to topple.
Old 16th September 2019, 15:12   #29571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Its nothing to do with the ESP, the car hit the divider and the resultant impact caused it to topple.
The fact that it went belly up because of the impact,is self explanatory.

The question was,in wet & hard braking conditions,if ESP could've prevented the veering of the car into the divider,to begin with.
Old 16th September 2019, 15:27   #29572
BHPian

Few images of the Ecosport which met the accident.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-eco2.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-eco3.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-eco4.jpg
arungeorge is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 15:34   #29573
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I cant think of any other road where even movement is possible so freely at that hour.
That's exaggeration!
Like Parag has mentioned, it is indeed the Airport road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
This is likely to be the KIAL expressway between Hebbal and KIAL. The E-City elevated road is 2+2 lane while the rest of the section beyond E-City is 6 lane but not elevated.
From the video I can easily make out that the accident has happened at exactly this location
from the start of the video till the accident, the car covers a distance of ~500 mtrs. See this map link this map link.
This distance of ~500 has taken around 20 seconds. So my calculated estimate is that the car was around 80-90kmph.

Overall, kudos to the driver on all counts...Purchasing a car with 6 airbags, wearing seat belts, Not over speeding. All these played a major part in saving his life. If I were him, I'll go and book another top variant of Ecosport.
hemanth.anand is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 16:03   #29574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arungeorge View Post

Attachment 1915478

Attachment 1915479

Attachment 1915480

More details
Old 16th September 2019, 19:14   #29575
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorque View Post
The question was,in wet & hard braking conditions,if ESP could've prevented the veering of the car into the divider ... .
even as a could have, it is wildly hypothetical.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 21:30   #29576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
That's exaggeration!
Like Parag has mentioned, it is indeed the Airport road.
Please read the sentence in its entirety carefully. It's preceded with a "which road is this " followed by "i cant think of". Its a question followed by a, scratching my head on such traffic free roads. While I thought of the elevated expressway on the south side of the city, I simply forgot about the one in the north. Exaggeration is for declarative statements not for curious questions... Big difference !

Quote:
Originally Posted by arungeorge View Post
Looking at the 3rd picture, I see the passenger side dash airbag has also been deployed. Don't airbags in a dashboard deploy only if the passenger is wearing a seat belt. I thought airbags don't deploy when seat belts are not worn to avoid injuries from airbags (of course if it doesn't deploy it can only be worse).

Disclaimer - Its a mere question out of curiosity not an exaggerating observation !
SR-71 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 09:26   #29577
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I see the passenger side dash airbag has also been deployed. Don't airbags in a dashboard deploy only if the passenger is wearing a seat belt. I thought airbags don't deploy when seat belts are not worn to avoid injuries from airbags (of course if it doesn't deploy it can only be worse).
Some cars' airbags fire based on the weight it detects on the seat. My erstwhile Nissan CSUV in the US would get confused when my featherweight 10 year old nephew would sit on the front passenger seat (when parked, since it's illegal for kids to occupy the front seat there when in motion). Same's the case with a gallon of mlik and some groceries kept there - the instrument console would pointedly flash a bright yellow "airbag off" symbol at me. There were no such problems however, if a proper adult (who weighs enough) were to sit there...

This kind of a system serves to protect people who don't wear their seat belts, I suppose. But I don't know if such an airbag alone would actually protect someone who isn't belted in, or if it'll do them worse... Airbags that fire when the seat belt is clicked might just be functionally better in that sense.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 12:55   #29578
BHPian

Quote:
Looking at the 3rd picture, I see the passenger side dash airbag has also been deployed.
Indeed a horrific crash and the driver is probably a bit lucky that the truck was not carrying something like concrete blocks. Given his sane speeds and immediate reactions on the brake, he would have probably sailed through that as well without much of a worry.

The Airbags usually follow some sort of algorithm to deploy.
"Passenger is there, no belt, do not deploy" is probably more likely than "Passenger not there, no belt, deploy", which would work as a preventive measure to further protect the driver in case of an offset hit and probable rollover.

It is indeed reassuring to see the driver calmly collect his phone and get out of the car after a direct hit.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 17:11   #29579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
There were no such problems however, if a proper adult (who weighs enough) were to sit there.
I have also seen that there is some kind of airbag sensor in front seat belt retraction mechanism in my own car Mahindra TUV300. However, not sure whether this sensor is used to decide on airbag deployment or avoiding airbag deployment.
Old 17th September 2019, 21:56   #29580
Senior - BHPian

A man had a miraculous escape when a bus hit him and dragged him for a while. A scooty was also dragged along with him. It appears a few more 2 wheelers were also hit during this incident. The frame of the cctv captures only the last bit of the incident and it's difficult to make out what exactly happened.

News article link: https://www.ndtv.com/kerala-news/koz...a-road-2102507
BenjiRoss is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks