Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2019, 12:03   #29626
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

@heavenlybull
It is not all the cars. It is the Maruti, Renault Nissan and some of the Hyundai cars.
Tata,, Honda, Ford and Toyota cars have been found to be the same. Though I'm not sure of the Toyota marketed Glanza.

Rahul
Old 27th September 2019, 12:22   #29627
BHPian

More than anything, it's the angle at which the load is transferred onto the car. the A, B and C pillars are seen to be bearing the weight along its length and therby not being crushed.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 12:44   #29628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
@ Tom Sooraj
The truck was probably empty, and that's probably what saved the car from further damage.
Even the unladden weight is a good 3 tons plus for a 40feet container plus the engine and chassis weight. Good show by Hyundai. I always feel much safer in a hyundai compared to its competitors save for the germans and Italians.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screen-shot-20190927-12.40.36-pm.png
Warwithwheels is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 13:44   #29629
Distinguished - BHPian

Are we reading too much into this one incident with the tipping truck and the i20? In mechanical/physical terms, the edge of any similarly shaped solid object has the highest strength right? If this truck had laid a bit more on top of the i20, the A,B & C pillars would've had far too much weight to bear and it would've caved in; whereas right now, it is resting right on the edge of the car's roof and its right hand side. The truck's weight is most likely diffused in a 90 degree angle, one route being downward through the car's side (its doors included) and the other route being through the roof to the other side (the tyres on the left wheels which are torn off of their rims is a giveaway).

Are we really sure that a Maruti wouldn't be able to similarly hold a truck? I don't know, we might get surprised at how strong even a Maruti's roof edge might be.
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 21:57   #29630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
Yes, that 2009 accident is the first thing that came to my mind. It had happened in Karnataka (near Puttur I guess). The fully loaded lorry had overturned on the hapless Linea but the excellent build quality of the car had saved the occupants.
Off topic, but can you kindly share the link of that accident on this thread?

2-3 guys here has mentioned such an accident taking place and I'm curious to see what it was like.
Thank you.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 22:02   #29631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Off topic, but can you kindly share the link of that accident on this thread?

2-3 guys here has mentioned such an accident taking place and I'm curious to see what it was like.
Thank you.
Here you go:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post1422879

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th September 2019 at 22:07. Reason: Providing the link to the post instead of the page. Thanks!
Sarvodaya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 22:09   #29632
Senior - BHPian

Somehow I think the i20 was in a worse situation than the Linea. The Linea seems to be at an angle to the dumper and has borne the brunt of the granite pieces, unlike the i20 which was parallel to the container and the whole container has tipped over it.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 22:20   #29633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
Seeing this has only saddened me more regarding the exit of Fiat from India. Such good cars, built for the enthusiast in you, awesome build quality ( fiats are cars which I can say are better built than even the polo/vento ).

Anyways, I won't dilute the thread topic, this will be my last OT post on this thread.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2019, 06:41   #29634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Seeing this has only saddened me more regarding the exit of Fiat from India. Such good cars, built for the enthusiast in you, awesome build quality ( fiats are cars which I can say are better built than even the polo/vento ).

Anyways, I won't dilute the thread topic, this will be my last OT post on this thread.
OT: There is an event recoded here, involving a Linea and Tata 407 head-on collision.
If I remember correctly, the truck was ripped and the truck driver was also injured. Passengers survived.
Also there a is Palio which Collided with a Train. The passengers survived. Indian railway had a case for “damaging property of Indian Railway” against them as they survived which is very rare.

Fiat has the best build quality. Have seen it personally with my Punto.

Last edited by purohitanuj : 28th September 2019 at 06:46.
purohitanuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2019, 14:35   #29635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Even the unladden weight is a good 3 tons plus for a 40feet container plus the engine and chassis weight. Good show by Hyundai. [/ATTACH]
If it was unladden, then most of the truck's weight would be concentrated at lower part of the truck ie., along its engine and chassis. So when the truck leant over the car, the car faced more horizontal force that caused its tyre from getting sheared off its rims and less vertical crushing force as the truck was not top heavy.
It is still commendable that the i20's roof held up well.

If the truck was loaded (less likely) and the i20's frame still held up, then it beyond commendable.

Since we can't be sure whether the truck had cargo or not, mentioned both scenarios

Last edited by for_cars1 : 28th September 2019 at 14:36.
Old 29th September 2019, 00:40   #29636

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...3&id=560585082

This is dashcam footage from a friend of a friend. A careless Kwid driver (MH47K4212) shifts lanes without checking and shoves a scooter and its pillion rider on to the ground. Not only does he not bother to stop and check on the fallen guys but also tries to make a hasty escape nearly causing another accident. His licence should be revoked and he should be charged with hit and run. Without such dashcam footage as evidence for a police complaint, this idiot would have continued to drive recklessly.

I firmly believe that factory fitted dashcams should be made mandatory in India. Especially because we do not have adequate traffic surveillance. I never felt safe driving without a dashcam ever since I got one installed. It helps catch errant drivers like this case, helps to prove your innocence in a mishap and also serves as a deterrent to other drivers on the road. I have seen cars behind me keep their distance when they see my rear windshield dashcam focused on them.
Angst is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 02:03   #29637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
this idiot would have continued to drive recklessly.
So this reckless guy was brought to justice?
Old 29th September 2019, 07:07   #29638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
This link does not seem to work. Could you please share a link which does not need one to sign in or sign up?
Old 29th September 2019, 07:15   #29639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
This link does not seem to work. Could you please share a link which does not need one to sign in or sign up?
https://www.facebook.com/story.php?s...3&id=560585082
raystriker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 07:22   #29640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raystriker View Post
While a facebook shows up, the video there does not play. It just shows up a blank screen. I don't have a Facebook account, if that helps.

Most Viewed