Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2019, 15:35   #29746
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
Are you sure you saw this same incident? I saw the footage in a group yesterday evening.
No, I meant to say I saw the video today morning. This occurred on the Perumbavoor - Muvattupuzha MC road on Wednesday.
binoyyj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 07:01   #29747
Senior - BHPian

Since there has been a little discussion about momentum in a few of the accidents, here is a Maruti Omni that that literally flies through a low wall and into a mosque in Mangalore. 5 people were injured. It's not clear how the driver lost control. There doesn't appear to be any attempt to brake or the brakes were not working.

News item. https://vijaykarnataka.com/video/kar...w/71706397.cms
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 08:43   #29748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Since there has been a little discussion about momentum in a few of the accidents, here is a Maruti Omni that that literally flies through a low wall and into a mosque in Mangalore. 5 people were injured. It's not clear how the driver lost control. There doesn't appear to be any attempt to brake or the brakes were not working.

News item. https://vijaykarnataka.com/video/kar...w/71706397.cms
Please tell me how you can infer from this video, that no brakes were applied?

Just a curious thought, no offense budddy.
Vasuki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 09:38   #29749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Please tell me how you can infer from this video, that no brakes were applied?

Just a curious thought, no offense budddy.
Buddy, i have merely stated a possibility rather than making an inference. Do read these lines.
"It's not clear how the driver lost control."
"There doesn't appear to be any attempt to brake or the brakes were not working."
Apologies if these two lines created the impression that a conclusion was drawn. They were meant to make viewers look closer at the video.
In CCTV footage videos, the lower resolution and frame rates make it difficult to accurately look at speeds and vehicle behaviour. To me it 'appears' that the vehicle didn't slow down after deviating, but it is not possible to state this as a solid conclusion.
Thanks for pointing this out and i hope forum members can add their input.
BenjiRoss is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 16:59   #29750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post
Funny because of how stupid the police can be and sad because this is how the police is.
Sad yes, funny no ! A few months ago I was on the outer ring road in Bangalore when a traffic constable darted onto the road to pull me over. I had to brake hard and swerve a bit to avoid hitting him. I pulled up to the median and gave him an earful. When I asked him what would have happened if I had hit him, his response topped his stupidity of darting on to the road - you will not get away after running over me. I really lost my cool and yelled at him that I know what I can or cannot get away from, but you will not be around to know if I had gotten away or not, had I run over you. That silenced him completely.

When I walked over to the interceptor (since I was pulled over for over-speeding), I literally lost it on seeing why I was pulled over in such a stupid manner. I was doing 61.2 Kmph on a road with 60 Kmph speed limit. It was then the turn of the Sargent to listen to me. I asked him if this is what enforcing law was all about and if it was worth risking everyones life & limb just to collect money for spot challan. He could have always issued a regular one and I could have paid it online. He non-challently answered that it was the month end and they had to meet the collection quota. However, realizing how agitated I was and the folly from their end, he asked me to leave without paying the fine. I did insist on paying the fine claiming that I was taking this up with the higher authorities since I had a dashcam recording (which I did not). He was uncomfortable but eventually issued the challan. Of course, I never got around to following it up but that incident really did shake me up a bit. I still wonder what would have happened if he had darted a moment too late or if I had braked a moment too late. I am sure I would have gotten away cause the mistake is not on my end - but the guilt of running over a human being would kill me for the rest of my life.

So NO, there is nothing funny about these stupid antics from the traffic cops.

Last edited by SR-71 : 25th October 2019 at 17:02.
SR-71 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 18:24   #29751
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
From the looks of it, it's a 35 ton GVW (gross vehicle weight) trailer-lorry - Tata LPS3518c to be specific.

The front overhang (FOH) of such a truck is around 1000mm, and the wheel-base of a Tucson is ~2700mm IIRC. Since the front chassis member and the heavier engine on the truck would carry a lot more momentum than what the Tucson's monocoque can withstand, the latter would have got crushed on impact.

Sorry for nitpicking, but the GVW of 3518 with tandem axle trailer is now 40,000kg up from 35200kg last year, and minimum permissible front overhang is 1250mm for the trucks with above 1M wheel diameter.

The truck may look un-damaged, but it will have lost its radiator, first cross member (Bolted), front axle, and steering track rod. other than that some body parts like grill, front bumper etc.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 18:29   #29752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Sorry for nitpicking, but the GVW of 3518 with tandem axle trailer is now 40,000kg up from 35200kg last year, and minimum permissible front overhang is 1250mm for the trucks with above 1M wheel diameter.

The truck may look un-damaged, but it will have lost its radiator, first cross member (Bolted), front axle, and steering track rod. other than that some body parts like grill, front bumper etc.

Rahul
It still pales in comparison to what has become of the tucson.
Old 25th October 2019, 18:56   #29753
Team-BHP Support

I've had heart-in-mouth moments with cops jumping in front of me to stop a vehicle behind me.

Pretty sad, in a country where motorists have enough oblivious jaywalkers to contend with (and pedestrians oblivious motorists, works both ways), we now also need to watch for law-enforcement intentionally jumping in front of moving vehicles to fulfill 'collection quotas'.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 19:11   #29754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arungeorge View Post
Parked car crushed. Looks like Hyundai Tucson.
No wonder these truck drivers drive like morons, they know they are safe and smaller vehicles will take the brunt.
Old 30th October 2019, 01:42   #29755
BHPian

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1image.jpg

Tata Tiago is considered to be one of the safer cars in the market by the general public, but the above picture makes me think otherwise.

This accident happened in kerala a few days ago.

I got a chance to see the crashed car the other day and that is what making me write this post.

As per multiple reports, the mini-truck was speeding and hit a bike first, then lost control and rammed into the oncoming Tiago at a peculiar angle from the left front quarter side and dragged it to a wall.
The left A-pillar is bent and body shell ruptured on the passenger side.
The car was a top-end variant with airbags too.The passenger side took the full brunt of the collision.

I have seen much worse accidents of Tiago where the body shell has remained intact and passengers unhurt.

BUT, those were head-on or driver side collisions IIRC.

AFAIK, quarter side or even passenger side alone crash tests are rarely taken by NCAP, during tests for rating the crash worthiness of a car.

[[ Renault was caught trying to take advantage of this,not long ago with the Kwid. Knowing the NCAP crash procedure,after a crash test failure,Renault strengthened only the driver side for next test.

But this time NCAP did a crash test for passenger side too and GUESS WHAT?

The driver side was fine..but the passenger side collapsed.

Finally, it took Renault 3 updates on the car and 4 crash tests just to get a 1 star rating for Kwid. ]]

The question is, Is Tata also doing the same with Tiago?

And,by the way, 3 died in the accident, 2 on the bike and the Tiago passenger. RIP

Tiago driver had very minor injuries.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 30th October 2019 at 23:11. Reason: no more than 2 smileys per post allowed / spacing
Flying Shadow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 03:29   #29756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Shadow View Post
.... the mini-truck was speeding and hit a bike first, then lost control and rammed into the oncoming Tiago at a peculiar angle from the left front quarter side and dragged it to a wall.
The car was a top-end variant with airbags

I have seen much worse accidents of Tiago where the body shell has remained intact and passengers unhurt.
BUT, those were head-on or driver side collisions IIRC.

The question is, Is Tata also doing the same with Tiago?
So, basically in a nutshell, a speeding truck rams into an approaching small hatchback car. The truck, after negating the car's, has enough kinetic energy of it's own left to drag the car into a wall. Not to forget the wall being an 'almost' immovable object.
Now, one expects the car's structure to not give way, just because one saw a few other accident photos where the body shell held it's own. Without knowing the speed, angle, composition of those crashes.
Also, one is quick to immediately question the manufacturer on quality.

Super, I'd say one has a bright future in sensationalism journalism.

Jokes apart, this might be the result irrespective of what small hatchback car was involved. Guess a car with a higher hood, like a compact SUV or a full blown SUV would've fared better.

Last edited by McLaren Roxx : 30th October 2019 at 03:32.
McLaren Roxx is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 04:50   #29757
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Tata Tiago is considered to be one of the safer cars in the market by the general public, but the above picture makes me think otherwise.
Then you really, really, should think again.

The purpose of this thread is not to expect or to demand impossible structural strength from motor manufacturers. Much more, it is to remind ourselves that the thin-metal boxes in which we enjoy an illusion of protection, in certain circumstances offer us very little at all.

We can pay more and more for additional features such as multiple airbags, and we can benefit from better and better research in areas such as crumple zones. And yes, we can inform our buyer's choice by the various safety star test/ratings. Of course, some cars are safer than others.

Or we can trade crumple zones for 3mm steel plate. Only to find that such a vehicle, as well as being lethal to others, is actual more lethal to its own drivers and passengers than one with crumple zones.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 06:30   #29758
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
rammed into the oncoming Tiago at a peculiar angle from the left front quarter side and dragged it to a wall.

Tiago driver had very minor injuries.
Well, answer to your question lies in your post. There was an accident discussed on this forum many years ago when a Mercedes S-Class from Jaipur was involved in an accident with the truck hitting it's A pillar on driver side and subsequent death of the driver. S-Class is considered to be one of the safest vehicles, still it resulted in a death. Mercedes (Mercedes S-Class Accident : Owner dead, Airbag doesn't activate and Court orders FIR) The driver and side/curtain airbags had not deployed but passenger airbag deployed. The hit was directly on the A pillar which was ruptured easily. Mentioning this accident to show that the A pillar in one of the safest cars on planet could not survive a direct impact to A pillar.

In this case, the single snap shows that the truck has dragged the Tiago after hitting the A pillar. Now if a truck has so much momentum, then even a bigger car wouldn't have survived this accident. Had the truck hit on the driver side A pillar, I think the results would have been similar.

The Global NCAP tests are carried on the driver side for frontal overlap and a full frontal test is also done. But mind you, those are for the front crumple zones, not the A pillars per se. So even if they've cheated or not, the A pillar hit would have been dangerous in any case.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 30th October 2019 at 06:40.
BoneCollector is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 07:42   #29759
Senior - BHPian

This accident and dramatic rescue happened in Madhya Pradesh. On a narrow 'bridge' across a river, a WagonR and auto collide and the WagonR falls into the river.

The rescue that follows is dramatic. First, one of the adults squeezes out od the car, grabs the child and throws the child towards land. The child falls short, but someone dives in and rescues him/her. A passerby then jumps in and all 5 passengers make it to land. They survived with minor injuries.
The road structure is very questionable and definitely unsafe. What is worrying is the speed with which vehicles enter this section in the full CCTV version. I would assume the people would slow down, watch and then enter one at a time from either direction..... but no, this is India. We will enter this section and see who will stop first. Ooops.... Both of us didn't stop!
https://www.financialexpress.com/ind...-news/1748606/
BenjiRoss is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 07:47   #29760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1928365

"There's no quarrel between an ant and a boot" even if the "ant" got a 5 star NCAP rating. For that matter Princess Di died in an S Class: would you think the S Class is unsafe?

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...rc-s-class.jpg

Last edited by Durango Dude : 30th October 2019 at 08:01.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed