Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2019, 10:46   #29836
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

A very scary video of a bike accident involving a child. As per news reports from Jhansi, the child was in the front of the parent / grandparent on the bike and accidentally revved the accelerator. The bike crashes into a roadside eatery with hot oil which spills onto her. She apparently had serious scalds and burns and is admitted in hospital.
I find this scary as it shows the effects of carelessness and also how in a second life can change.

News report: https://www.bhaskar.com/uttar-prades...-01684163.html
BenjiRoss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 11:02   #29837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
I find this scary as it shows the effects of carelessness and also how in a second life can change.
Looks like a script from 'Final Destination'. Anything that can go wrong has gone wrong here.

It is 100% fault of pillion rider for his utter carelessness. Kids must not be allowed on scooter step-through section. Unfortunately, things won't work that way in our country.

Last edited by msdivy : 18th November 2019 at 11:06.
msdivy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 11:12   #29838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Looks like a script from 'Final Destination'. Anything that can go wrong has gone wrong here.

It is 100% fault of pillion rider for his utter carelessness. Kids must not be allowed on scooter step-through section. Unfortunately, things won't work that way in our country.
Also, cooking should not be permitted on roads. Apart from the obvious possibilities of contamination, it is also a hazard to road users.
KL01toKA03 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 11:20   #29839
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Someone managed to topple the car just before the toll on the NICE road (towards the hosur road exit).
Thanks for sharing. It takes quite some doing to roll a hatchback (looks like an i20 to me, could be wrong...) Accidents such as this deserves a slow clap and just like there's always that one guy in the audience in Hollywood climaxes, let me be the guy who starts the slow clap here for rolling over a hatchback I'm not being insensitive, just...how does one achieve something like this? It is still possible that a tyre blowout or a broken suspension component could have caused this - but suspicions being what they are, here I stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
<snipped the YouTube video of a 3 vehicle pileup caused by the bolting cow from the other side of a lorry>
Source: Cartoq
Virtually the same thing happened to me on a cold December morning in 2001 on a Chennai city road; only, it was a lorry that hid a cyclist who, unbeknowst to me, was slowly crossing the road, pushing his bicycle just in time to avoid the lorry - only to get hit by me in my dad's ironclad Bajaj Chetak. Luckily I fell to the other side and not underneath the lorry's wheels.

I blamed the cyclist for my incident for long, but I have since realized that it is for us to judge whether the field is clear on the other side of heavy vehicles before we overtake them. If we don't have a clear field of vision, potentially every single overtaking is a risky one.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 12:05   #29840
Senior - BHPian

A wedding bike rally gone wrong in Kerala.

Irresponsible bikers (honking all way, blocking the road, no helmets) learnt lesson the hard way. Also, it looks like the car driver panicked and pressed accelerator instead of brake.

PS : The voices in the background translates to :'go slow', 'be careful while ascending' (close to junction), 'vehicles crashed, park by the roadside', 'they (bikers) didn't look out for the car'.
Klub Class is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 14:57   #29841
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
... Kids must not be allowed on scooter step-through section. Unfortunately, things won't work that way in our country.
Two-wheelers were never meant to be family transport, and should not be used that way. I cringe every time I see a child holding on to the handlebars or a baby held in one arm by the pillion rider.

All this should be stopped by the law. But it is now an entrenched part of the culture and the economy (the alternative for many, if not the bike, would be the bus and the bus fares) and will never change now.

Hey ho, I guess we are not short of population. But every death, every injury, is still an individual human tragedy
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 15:10   #29842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Accidents involving kids are really painful to know and watch. Some days before there was post of accident in Mumbai where new i10 crushed girl child. This shows the problem is in roots of how the country is being built. How the social practices in India and common sense and law do not get hand in hand. As a society we are showing thick skin to such incidences. Root causes of these problems are many but the main problem is that our focus is not on the root causes. So hope for better future is nil. We really believe in 'Ram Bharose' and leave everything to God 'a fictional entity', washing our hands off the responsibility.

Last edited by sushantr5 : 18th November 2019 at 15:12.
sushantr5 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 20:26   #29843
BHPian

Off late I am noticing that the menace of tempo travelers, esp. the shuttle operated ones, has increased considerably. Their utter disregard for other road users is mind-boggling.

This evening I was witness to an accident that took place in Santhospuram, Chennai near Boaz hospital.

There was this tempo traveler which was bullying its way across the traffic and as it was nearing Boaz hospital, the tempo had to slow down for the small bend and had to further reduce speed as the right lane was occupied by a car and left lane by an auto.

This tempo driver tried and successfully managed to squeeze between the two vehicles but was not able to pick up speed because of the lady in a scooter who was riding in front of the auto. She was in the middle of the left lane. As soon as the tempo driver got space, he was side-by-side with the lady and started to push her to the left. She was not aware that the tempo was trying to push her off the road and failed to swerve left. In the end, the tempo brushed against the scooter's handlebar and she fell on the road. Unfortunately, (looks like) she did not strap on the helmet. She suffered head injuries but fortunately, she was ok though visibly shaken.

I was right behind her in the left-most corner and I managed to swerve right, jumped to the extreme right and avoided running over her by a few feet. I confronted the tempo driver and he was hell-bent on proving that it was not his fault. I also went to the cop who was stationed in the outpost near the signal (probably 200m away from the accident spot), he told me that the traffic division is already there in the spot. I hope they book a case against the driver or confiscate the vehicle. That will teach them a lesson.

Had the tempo driver waited patiently for another 5-10 seconds (Yes, Seconds) he would have easily and safely overtaken the lady as well as the car.
katchkamalesh is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 10:11   #29844
KPR
BANNED

Not just limited to Tempo, but boxy Mahindra vans should be included. These vehicles picks up speed fast and travel at close to 100 KMPH. These months being Sabari mala season, one can spot these vans in NH, plying at very high speeds, swerve from end to end in highways with no care whatsoever for all other users. Night drives will be hell with them as they keep tailing with high flood lights. This is the season we can witness many accidents of such Mahindra/Tempo vans in NH. So BHP-ians esp during long distance drives beware of these Tempos and Mahindra vans.

Last edited by KPR : 20th November 2019 at 10:13.
KPR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 10:19   #29845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchkamalesh View Post
Off late I am noticing that the menace of tempo travelers, esp. the shuttle operated ones, has increased considerably. Their utter disregard for other road users is mind-boggling.
such idiots hard to be confronted, as they always know some rogues who would turn up for them in case of any issues. Confronting an yellow board guys without any proof or "connection" seems to be a good way of asking for trouble.

Getting dash cam installed this week, that should be enough proof to land them in trouble.

Few weeks back, an auto driver was brushing against every single car in traffic and making dents to their car's bumper. How much envy can one have? We need to surely fight back, else Chennai would be no different from other cities with traffic issues.
giri1.8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 10:35   #29846
BHPian

Accident vehicles parked at the entrance of the Hyderabad ORR. No clue how these happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20191014_092846.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20191014_092851.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20191022_172233.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20191022_172234.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20191022_172238.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20191022_172238_01.jpg  

Old 20th November 2019, 14:15   #29847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Not just limited to Tempo, but boxy Mahindra vans should be included. These vehicles picks up speed fast and travel at close to 100 KMPH. These months being Sabari mala season, one can spot these vans in NH, plying at very high speeds, swerve from end to end in highways with no care whatsoever for all other users. Night drives will be hell with them as they keep tailing with high flood lights. This is the season we can witness many accidents of such Mahindra/Tempo vans in NH. So BHP-ians esp during long distance drives beware of these Tempos and Mahindra vans.
Quote:
Have to agree here, Tempo as well as the Mahindra maxi cab are the worst in terms of traffic sense and respecting others on road. Have been rear ended by a Mahindra once but thankfully only minor scratches and a cracked tail lamp. These vehicles being nimble and powerful added with stupid drivers are recipe for accidents.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 20th November 2019 at 16:18.
Jerryaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 14:36   #29848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
A marathi singer named Geeta Mali was killed and her husband severely injured on Mumbai Nasik highway. She was on her way home in Nashik from Mumbai airport after returning from the US. Her car rammed a stationary tanker parked on the left side of the road at a very high speed.
From the previous post I had assumed it to be a night time incident, however it happened in broad daylight, as seen on the cctv footage below. From the looks of it, the driver of the car was probably distracted or had dozed off. There is absolutely no other explanation as that location did not seem to have much traffic (to blind a driver) at the time. Extremely tragic that someone else had to pay with their life for the mistake.

haldar_siliguri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 15:21   #29849
BHPian

Quote:
Had the tempo driver waited patiently for another 5-10 seconds (Yes, Seconds)
In India, it's very rare to people with patience, compassion especially on the road.
People will be in mile long queue on the road yet they won't give space for one vehicle from the opposite lane to pass through them to join the side road they are blocking, no amount of horn, appeal will work and they'll just lay in front us like adumb

I read the below sometime ago here.
A Japanese said on seeing Indian traffic- Indians are always in a hurry but never on time.
GladRagu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 23:07   #29850
Senior - BHPian

Just one look into his pocket and that's all it takes for him to hit the SUV which swerved to the left for some reason.

Captured today morning by my dashcam.

Another one - lady crossing the road, with the help of ABS in my car.

Last edited by clevermax : 20th November 2019 at 23:18.
clevermax is offline   (24) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks