Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2019, 14:19   #30016
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
So the Seltos accident happened on an undivided two-lane road? It was trying to turn to the right to access a shop on that side? If these are true, then:
This accident reminded a recent drive of mine. It was raining heavily and I noticed that a truck was trying to cross the road to join on the opposite stream and stopped.

Behind the truck, 2 cars have followed and waited which resulted in occupation of the road which I was in.

The ideal case here - 2 cars should have waited until the truck crosses the road. But this is India where there is no "right of way". Its only "Me first. He will anyway watch and slow down for me".

On the other hand, as someone already told, the truck should have slowed down if he has noticed this from a distance since such instances are very common across our cities and highways.

bvasista is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 18:57   #30017
BHPian

11th Dec Kanyakumari, TamilNadu minibus accident CCTV footage.

Fortunately no casualties. One school girl in critical condition.

Nimalan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 19:16   #30018
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
...The indicator was given and the car shifted the lane but because of 2 wheelers could not get inside the parking fast enough...
Quote:
According to the forward there was enough time for the truck to stop/slowdown and that the lane from which the car originated was filled with traffic so Seltos could not quickly integrate in it
These two bits, the sort of thing people usually take for granted on our roads, is a major cause of the accident. Always ensure the space you're supposed to occupy is empty before you enter it, not presume it will be vacated by someone else currently occupying it. True everywhere, but especially on a highway (more so on an undivided one) with traffic at reasonably high speeds bearing down on you.

Quote:
...when you drive something with so much mass you have a responsibility...
People sharing a highway with a myriad of vehicle types need to understand that vehicles around them have different capabilities. What's sufficient stopping distance for a car may be woefully inadequate for a truck. Panic braking in a loaded truck isn't anything like a car, the load in the back can shift dangerously and cause an accident by itself.

Irrespective of what the truck could have done to avoid this incident, the car driver's primary error was first moving across an active carriageway assuming he'll have space (that other traffic will vacate) instead of making sure he did, and second, presuming he's entitled to space on a part of the carriageway he had no business being in and that oncoming traffic should take responsibility for evasive maneuvers.

This wouldn't have happened with a bit of patience on the car driver's part.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th December 2019 at 19:20. Reason: Word.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 11:51   #30019
BHPian

Happened this morning on Marathalli bridge service lane towards Sarjapur. No details about how it happened or if there was any injury to the driver or anybody on the footpath/shops.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20191217_105159.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20191217_105207.jpg
grevvity is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 15:16   #30020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Only in India!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Probably more painful than it looks.

I wonder if it was staged. But even if it was, it makes a valid point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
If my memory is right, this video was in circulation a couple of years back. Doesn't take away the relevance though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post

I've seen this before, well over a year ago - cannot possibly be few days ago - unless you define 500+ as few. Which in turn makes one doubt the Uttarakhand part as well.
This was posted on twitter by Uttarakhand police a few days ago. You're right - We should not have assumed the place and date from this even though the twitter account is official - the same does not state any specific date and time for this event and is likely to have used an older video to drive home a safety mesage.

Official link: https://twitter.com/uttarakhandcops/...14773273796608

Kudos to them and bad on my part to assume date and location. Apologies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Are your sure it is from Uttarakhand? The vehicle in question is found only in Gujarat as is locally called "Chakkda", some even call it "Phat Phati"
[However it is very unsafe and has been involved in some very ghastly accidents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
They are called as 'Meen body vandi' in Tamilnadu (motorised fish cart)
I have seen the non-motorized version in many states and the motorized version even rexently in TN. I didn't realise they were illegal in some states.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
The only thing one can do is have a nice laugh. Well this is total absurdity and how can one treat humans as cattle herds and load them to the brim. This is disaster waiting to happen!
Laughable as there was no serious injury to life and property - could have been much worse - especially for the lady in the blue dress who fell quite a distance when they tried to right the vehicle.

Last edited by BenjiRoss : 18th December 2019 at 15:18.
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 11:14   #30021
BANNED

High speed accident at Noida, details are not known, driver is safe as of now. Looks like passenger cabin held its shape well.

wheelguy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 15:29   #30022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
High speed accident at Noida, details are not known, driver is safe as of now. Looks like passenger cabin held its shape well.
Looking at the windshield, driver doesn't seem to wear the seat belt.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th December 2019 at 17:28. Reason: Video deleted from quote
FORTified is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 21:11   #30023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
While I dont agree with the method of how seltos tried to slip in but its a greater fault of the truck when it had ample time to slow down/stop ">10sec"
We can never be certain of how much time the truck driver had in order to stop and avoid hitting the seltos or what speed the truck was doing or the alertness level of the truck driver at that instant, whether it was a fully loaded truck which needed a longer braking distance. There are several variables at play and unknown factors.

The Seltos driver by jumping across to the opposite lane and coming in the way of the truck just put himself at harm's way and at the mercy of 'chance'. There are so many factors all stacked against the Seltos in this scenario.

It is so important to practice defensive driving and avoid getting into a situation where you are at the mercy of the other driver.
For eg: suddenly changing lanes and expecting the driver behind to panic brake and let you pass.
* Suddenly entering a main road and expecting every vehicle to stop.
* Abruptly stopping in the middle of the road to ask for directions.
* Overtaking when there is a vehicle approaching and expecting that vehicle to slow down and make way.
* Driving into the opposite lane and expecting the other driver to stop (this particular accident).
* Zig zag driving recklessly on a two wheeler and cutting in and out of other vehicles lane and expecting everyone to brake for you.

The list of expecting the 'other' driver to take corrective action for your mistake goes on and on. Drivers not practicing defensive driving may get away but not all the time, the law of probability will catch up with them sooner or later. High time all drivers realize this fact and don't treat road/driving as a video game.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 19th December 2019 at 21:15.
for_cars1 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 00:45   #30024
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't recall if it is/was actually in The Highway Code, but I was taught as a basic tenet of UK driving that one should not cause another vehicle to change speed or direction.

I can't say that that was always possible in London. Not much chance of it here.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 09:40   #30025
Senior - BHPian

One of colleague's friend met with accident in his Baleno somewhere in outskirts of Vadodara. No injuries or anything. I did ask about non deployment of airbags but came to know that occupants were not wearing seatbelts.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20191215-9.12.08-pm.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20191215-9.12.09-pm.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20191215-9.12.10-pm.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20191215-9.12.16-pm.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20191215-9.12.20-pm.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20191215-9.12.28-pm.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20191215-9.12.38-pm.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20191215-9.12.45-pm.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20191215-9.12.49-pm.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20191215-9.12.53-pm.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20191215-9.12.51-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by aaggoswami : 20th December 2019 at 09:42.
aaggoswami is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 10:27   #30026
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
One of colleague's friend met with accident in his Baleno somewhere in outskirts of Vadodara. No injuries or anything. I did ask about non deployment of airbags but came to know that occupants were not wearing seatbelts.
Same question arose in my mind, weren't they wearing seatbelts.
Airbags should deploy irrespective of whether seatbelts are worn or not, one mistake should not result in bigger misery due to/ despite technology being there for safety.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 20th December 2019 at 13:49. Reason: typo
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 20th December 2019, 11:30   #30027
BHPian

This is an old one but classic example of people expecting the traffic in front to get out of their way. Drivers licenses definitely need to be cancelled in such cases.
ridersam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 16:16   #30028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Same question arose in my mind, weren't they wearing seatbelts.
Airbags should deploy irrespective of whether seatbelts are worn or not, one mistake should not result in bigger misery due to/ despite technology being there for safety.
There is no point in the airbags deploying if the seat belts are not worn. They might as well not inflate.

Turrrb0 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 18:53   #30029
BHPian

What kind of mindless fools are these? Who’s at fault? You be the judge.

I don’t see the guy who’s recording, sticking to a lane either. He was in the middle, but the bike chap saw that one coming to him.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 18:58   #30030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
What kind of mindless fools are these?
Spotted the Darwin award nominee! Feel bad for the bus driver here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks