Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2019, 23:12   #30061
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post

Option 2: Traffic is high and I can't cross to join my side of highway immediately. My time is too precious to spend waiting patiently at the side of highway. Let me ride on opposite side (with lights blinking, hazard lights on- means I am on the wrong side, but give me way anyway) and join into my side when traffic is low.
This is just the default option chosen by majority of the two wheeler riders when they encounter similar situation. I don’t know what they possess once they get on the two wheels, but the overwhelming desire seem to be that they don’t want to stop for anything if there is a way to not stop.

I see this daily by people of varied economic, education and age levels.
Yieldway17 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 12:25   #30062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
Here's something you don't see everyday.

Attachment 1948914

Attachment 1948912

Attachment 1948913

IndiaTVNews
Finally the fuselage seems to have been rescued by removing the tyres of the truck and pulling it with the help of another truck.

AdityaDeane is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 14:29   #30063
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Finally the fuselage seems to have been rescued by removing the tyres of the truck and pulling it with the help of another truck.
Neat. Also a nice illustration of the national disregard for safety. There is no way that I would have stood on that bridge! One miscalculation in the work, and bridge would have tumbled.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 14:51   #30064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Good Job. But, those rims would have taken lot of load. Are they fit for the final destination?

Last edited by saisree : 26th December 2019 at 14:57.
Old 26th December 2019, 17:27   #30065
Distinguished - BHPian

Caught the aftermath of an accident involving WagonR and Swift on the Baroda Ahmedabad carriageway of NE1 on Monday.

Not sure how but the way motorists abuse the shoulder lane for extremely dangerous overtakes would have led to this.

Needless to say that this one also captured a bad driver walking towards his badly parked Grand i10 ("I have my Hazard lights on" types) at the end of the video.

Last edited by paragsachania : 26th December 2019 at 17:30.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 18:45   #30066
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Caught the aftermath of an accident involving WagonR and Swift on the Baroda Ahmedabad carriageway of NE1 on Monday.

Not sure how but the way motorists abuse the shoulder lane for extremely dangerous overtakes would have led to this.

Needless to say that this one also captured a bad driver walking towards his badly parked Grand i10 ("I have my Hazard lights on" types) at the end of the video.
Was this your car's dashcam sir? I certainly hope not.

I ask this question because you did make a comment about motorists abusing the shoulder. At the end of the video clip, the driver of the car in which the dashcam was installed abused the shoulder to overtake the truck which, very correctly, moved over to the left lane as soon as he had passed the accident spot leaving the fast lane free for faster vehicles.
KiloAlpha is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 19:01   #30067
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Was this your car's dashcam sir? I certainly hope not.
Indeed this was the clip from my Dashcam itself.

NE1 today is fantastically gone to dogs. Earlier each vehicle moved to left lane soon after the overtaking maneuver but now right from cars to trucks and GSRTC buses stick to the fast lane while the other 2 lanes have become like regular lanes(including the shoulder).

So it is a very usual scene to find the 2 regular lanes occupied by slow moving traffic especially trucks overtaking each other for minutes together while the shoulder gets abused this way.

Drivers are so blind that they end up in tricky situations. In my case, there was a beeline of cars sticking to each other behind this truck to get past soon after everyone of us started moving away from this site. It is never a case that in general I would overtake from the shoulder anyway. I am way too paranoid if that vehicle decided to make a quick stop on the shoulder without checking its mirrors.

This was from the same highway during one of my usual drives around here few years back when the menace has started.

paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 21:37   #30068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROG_AK View Post
With these kinds of things happening I feel they should have guard rails throughout the entire highway instead of those shrubs. I know it's not viable but would feel a bit safer.
Why would it not be viable?
Old 27th December 2019, 09:11   #30069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
I believe he is pointing to the initial expenditure involved, as well as the losses due to theft & vandalism.
RaviK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 10:09   #30070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
NE1 today is fantastically gone to dogs. Earlier each vehicle moved to left lane soon after the overtaking maneuver but now right from cars to trucks and GSRTC buses stick to the fast lane while the other 2 lanes have become like regular lanes(including the shoulder).

In my observation if the road is kept free of commuter bikes, the trucks move to the Left after finishing an overtake maneuver. If there are lot of two wheelers, then trucks will stick to the middle.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 13:46   #30071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviK View Post
I believe he is pointing to the initial expenditure involved, as well as the losses due to theft & vandalism.

Absolutely, but besides that it could potentially do more harm than good. If the rail gets damaged and protrudes onto the road, then it could potentially cause more accidents. Not to mention the amount of time it would take to fix the damaged part.
ROG_AK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 18:34   #30072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
The Bangalore-Chennai highway, especially on the stretch between Ambur and Vellore is perhaps one of the most infamous examples for such incidents. Animals (both two legged and four, sorry!) darting across the road out of seemingly nowhere, trucks and bikes on the wrong side of the highway (read bridges) etc. The madness doesn’t seem to stop.
I cant agree more.

Around 9 years ago we were returning to Chennai from Bangalore and were tailing an E class, doing good speeds. At Ambur town, A lorry was parked on the left most lane and right in front of a break in the divider between the highway and service road.
We noticed a pair of legs running across the truck and my father immediately got alert and slowed down. The E class in front of us had not spotted him and the man running across appeared in front of the car just as the car was about to cross the truck. The Mercedes had no chance/time to react and mowed the poor villager down. We watched in horror as the pedestrian was flung into the air, after crossing the car we noticed that it was driven by a chauffeur with the owner seated behind, and a crowd of locals were beginning to circle it, I wonder what happened further.

Quite a sight for a teenager, and every time I see a truck parked like that on the highway I am always anticipating some idiot to dart across and am immediately on alert, prepared for the worst.
Turrrb0 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 19:04   #30073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
Quite a sight for a teenager, and every time I see a truck parked like that on the highway I am always anticipating some idiot to dart across and am immediately on alert, prepared for the worst.
Very true. Even though I don’t drive yet, I always anticipate somebody (man or machine) to dart across when overtaking a larger vehicle, say a bus or truck. Another thing I fear is traveling on the fastest lane (RHS).

It seems that getting a driving license in India is equivalent to getting a ticket to heaven. Contrary to most documents here, you get it quick enough, but don’t know when your turn actually comes.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 19:47   #30074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Thanks for sharing .
With roads having just 2 lane or a single lane road, I always stay in the middle and keep scanning my rear view mirrors so that vehicles faster than me can pass.
Sorry if I misunderstood! But, if in a 2 lane or a single lane road, you always stay in the middle means, you'll not be following lane discipline.
Old 27th December 2019, 21:16   #30075
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajendra2278 View Post
Sorry if I misunderstood! But, if in a 2 lane or a single lane road, you always stay in the middle means, you'll not be following lane discipline.
Sorry to frame my post such, I meant, whenever there is some sort of traffic or I come across a small hamlet / kasba, else, on wide single lane (mostly SH's) I try to place my right wheels somewhere near the white line (away from it of course) and try to keep a fair margin from the left side.

Hope, my post and what I want to convey is more clear now .
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks