Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2020, 15:48   #30196
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
This is most likely because she hadn't put the seat belt on.
It may have been a factor, but seat belts are not the safety device to protect against whiplash: that is the job of properly adjusted head rests
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2020, 19:04   #30197
BHPian

Another accident caused by unmarked/not clearly visible diversion of dual carriage roads being used as single carriage roads due to construction.
Recently many such accidents are happening, will the authorities take suitable action to prevent further loss of lives.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/73369250.cms
Old 20th January 2020, 06:42   #30198
Senior - BHPian

A runaway horse in Bhagalpur ended up with significant injury. It ran for about 4 km on the Bhagalpur-Sultanganj main road and apparently still had its rope and peg attached to it unfortunately which started the injury. The final fall probably resulted in more injury. Poor thing.
There appears to be accidents involving a couple of bikes and a car too during the run.

News link: https://www.bhaskar.com/amp/bihar/bh...126539896.html
Old 20th January 2020, 08:53   #30199
J4J
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
A runaway horse in Bhagalpur ended up with significant injury.
That was very dangerous indeed, The horse hit many bikers en route.
I thought that the animals stopped when they saw an obstacle ahead. But this video and one more video posted few days earlier show otherwise.
How can we prevent such accidents?
Also, do any rules apply to the owner of the animals? They are sharing the roads with other motorists. They must also be equally responsible.

Last edited by J4J : 20th January 2020 at 08:57. Reason: Grammatical mistake corrected
J4J is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 09:31   #30200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Seems like Shabana Azmi's Safari tried to overtake from the wrong side and while attempting did not notice a stationary truck and rear ended it.
As per complaint filed by truck driver he was in extreme LH lane at speed between 60 ad 70 another truck was overtaking him in the middle lane, when the Safari storm hit his truck from behind. So truck being stationary is a wrong report.

Rahul

Last edited by Rahul Rao : 20th January 2020 at 09:32.
Rahul Rao is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 09:40   #30201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
As per complaint filed by truck driver he was in extreme LH lane at speed between 60 ad 70 another truck was overtaking him in the middle lane, when the Safari storm hit his truck from behind. So truck being stationary is a wrong report.

Rahul
Off topic, but I am surprised that these ultra rich celebrities did not choose to travel in a vehicle which has more safety features.
@mods pls remove my post if it is inappropriate
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 11:01   #30202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Off topic, but I am surprised that these ultra rich celebrities did not choose to travel in a vehicle which has more safety features.
No idea about Shabana Azmi/Javed Akhtar's net worth or the amount of wealth they possess. But it's not necessary that the celebrity has to be ultra rich. Or it could even be that this is their beater car.
Old 20th January 2020, 11:36   #30203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Safari did its job, the driver was unhurt and the passenger had whiplash injuries.

No features can guarantee safety if any driver is reckless on the road .

Last edited by shortbread : 20th January 2020 at 11:37.
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 11:39   #30204
BHPian

13 year old girl was hit by a car when she tried to cross the two lane highway. Luckily she survived without any serious injuries as per https://www.manoramaonline.com/fastt...n-haripad.html. Can't find an english version though.
Renjith Rajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 11:48   #30205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
No idea about Shabana Azmi/Javed Akhtar's net worth or the amount of wealth they possess. But it's not necessary that the celebrity has to be ultra rich. Or it could even be that this is their beater car.
I was googling and found that declared net asset of Shabana Azmi was 3 million in 2017 My point is, if one can afford and travels a lot (they were traveling from their Khandala Bungalow and this must be a frequent travel. Film folks travel a lot anyways) one should use a safest car possible. PB Expressway is not something one should take on in a 'beaten' car.
Old 20th January 2020, 12:18   #30206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renjith Rajan View Post
13 year old girl was hit by a car when she tried to cross the two lane highway. Luckily she survived without any serious injuries as per
Yet another instance where almost everything happening in the video is wrong.

1. The elephant grey vehicle on the wrong side of the road(Tigor/Dzire??).
That person is just stationary with half his car on the road, facing the wrong direction, and continues to drive tentatively on the wrong side.

2. The blue mahindra share auto van.
This guy cool-ly cuts across the road. To, I assume drop someone. Thereby completely blocking the view of the black duster.

3. The 13 year old child.
Come on, though she is only 13 years old, that is not the age one would be considered a small child. Absolutely foolish to run across the road like that, blindly too. It is common sense that one mustn't cross the road unless you have a clear view of both sides. Glad to see that she survived what otherwise looked like a fatal hit, she should count her lucky stars.

4. The black duster.
Very obviously speeding from what we can see in the video. Overspeeding drastically lessens the margin for error. Maybe had he been driving at the speed the other vehicles were driving at, he may have had time to see the girl darting across and make a safe evasive maneuver. If one wants to speed at least ensure that you are completely aware of your surroundings and be at your most alert state, also while anticipating the worst.

5. Finally, the uncle in the orange mundu.
He decided that one person getting hit wasn't enough and decides to dart across an oncoming truck, to try his luck. Imagine if a bike was overtaking the truck from it's left side.

All these points I have made are things which can be easily avoided. Small silly things like this add up and result in tragedy. Sad to say but this is one of the main reasons for the number of accidents we see. All can be completely avoided and anyone with common sense would/should know better.

Quote:
I was googling and found that declared net asset of Shabana Azmi was 3 million in 2017 My point is, if one can afford and travels a lot (they were traveling from their Khandala Bungalow and this must be a frequent travel. Film folks travel a lot anyways) one should use a safest car possible. PB Expressway is not something one should take on in a 'beaten' car.
I'm sorry, but this would've been the outcome whether they were in a Tata Safari, or a Merc GLS (the safari mind you is quite a well built car, surviving rear ending a truck on a highway is no joke). Also, I mentioned beater and not beaten. I agree that one should use the safest car if one travels on the highways a lot, for which I believe the safari suffices.

Last edited by Turrrb0 : 20th January 2020 at 12:28.
Turrrb0 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 14:02   #30207
BHPian

Saw this accident on Kherwadi flyover. No updates on casualty or injuries. 2 Cars and 1 truck involved, a new CRV and a i20, impact might have been sever as CRV had all airbags engaged and the left suspension and tire had come out. My guesses are the CRV came from opposite lane and flew in this lane hitting the truck which was hit by the i20, as other lane was jam packed too, couldn't see anything in the other lane.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-capture.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-capture1.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-capture2.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-capture3.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-capture4.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-capture5.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-capture6.png
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 16:29   #30208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Come on, though she is only 13 years old, that is not the age one would be considered a small child. Absolutely foolish to run across the road like that, blindly too. It is common sense that one mustn't cross the road unless you have a clear view of both sides. Glad to see that she survived what otherwise looked like a fatal hit, she should count her lucky stars.
Indeed, 13 is more than old enough to be expected to be sensible on the road. Though sadly we can't expect it from people multiples of her age

Quote:
4. The black duster.
Very obviously speeding from what we can see in the video. Overspeeding drastically lessens the margin for error.
And drastically increases the potential injuries to a pedestrian. I recall (but not the details) a study in UK that said that a pedestrian hit at less than 30MPH was likely to survive, whereas over 30MPH could well kill them.

This is a chilling thought, as it is well within what most of us call "city speeds," and do not regard as fast: about 48kph.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 20:47   #30209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....found that declared net asset ..... was 3 million in 2017 My point is, if one can afford .....one should use a safest car possible..
Assuming the asset figures are true, any 'more safe' car would be north of 4 million with similar consequences with the A pillar taking a direct hit from the high truck chassis.
Old 20th January 2020, 21:15   #30210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm sorry, but this would've been the outcome whether they were in a Tata Safari, or a Merc GLS (the safari mind you is quite a well built car, surviving rear ending a truck on a highway is no joke). Also, I mentioned beater and not beaten. I agree that one should use the safest car if one travels on the highways a lot, for which I believe the safari suffices.
Sorry I meant 'beater' as well ('beaten' was a typo). To me 'beater' car is for everyday errands mostly within the city but for the highway I prefer the best/safest car I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Assuming the asset figures are true, any 'more safe' car would be north of 4 million with similar consequences with the A pillar taking a direct hit from the high truck chassis.
Probably true once any car goes under the chassis of a truck but high end modern cars come all kind of safety means such as additional airbags, ESP, blind spot detector, emergency braking etc. Additional airbags alone would have reduced the injury to Shabana Ajmi

Most Viewed