Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2020, 18:47   #30481
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Thankfully the bike rider escaped with minor injuries.
The biker brakes and tries to change lanes to avoid a crash. He ends up skidding and falling after some drama.
Does the bike have ABS? And could he have controlled the bike better at those speeds of braking?
During my college days I had a similar incident on my Activa but somehow managed to come to a standstill without falling off the scooter. Was riding a bit faster when some idiot decided to cross the road, had to brake and swerve at the same time. It was exactly the same as this guy in the video except his bike lost balance in the end while mine stayed pretty much upright .I don't know how I did it but felt a little proud and stupid at the same time (was wearing a helmet too). I always used to pull both brakes together, with a little bit more on the rear side. Maybe that worked.
I've never done anything stupid later with any of my bike and learn't to stay within the bike's limits. Youth teaches us a lot !
Old 20th February 2020, 03:24   #30482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
The biker brakes and tries to change lanes to avoid a crash. He ends up skidding and falling after some drama.
Does the bike have ABS? And could he have controlled the bike better at those speeds of braking?
This biker has demonstrated almost perfectly what you can do with the 'SuperMoto' mode ABS on the Ktm bikes.

In doing so he has also proved that one doesn't need a Ktm equipped with ABS and the said feature to perform the SuperMoto stunt. All you need is an over enthusiastic biker and a wayward JCB. That's all! Haha. If Ktm is watching this it should have them red in the face now
Old 20th February 2020, 07:19   #30483
Senior - BHPian

Mathrubhumi is reporting on a KeSRTC bus - container truck head-on collision at Avinashi near Coimbatore. The bus as per them was on its way to Ernakulam from Bangalore. 13 are dead as of now.

It is not clear how the bus and the truck ended up in the same carriageway (the regular NH 544 route through Avinashi is a 6-lane dual carriageway with service roads on both sides).

Link (for Malayalam readers): https://www.mathrubhumi.com/news/ind...nadu-1.4544485

The same article talks about another accident in which a bus with tourists from Nepal collided with a truck near Salem resulting in 5 deaths.

Last edited by binand : 20th February 2020 at 07:21.
Old 20th February 2020, 07:43   #30484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Mathrubhumi is reporting on a KeSRTC bus - container truck head-on collision at Avinashi near Coimbatore.
So sad. Some reports say 16 fatalities.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20200220wa0000.jpg

Last edited by balenoed_ : 20th February 2020 at 07:50.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 08:16   #30485
BHPian

According to news reports, the container truck suffered a front tyre blowout, lost control and crossed the divider onto the oncoming lane. Death toll now stands at 21.
Old 20th February 2020, 08:43   #30486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Mathrubhumi is reporting on a KeSRTC bus - container truck head-on collision at Avinashi near Coimbatore. The bus as per them was on its way to Ernakulam from Bangalore. 13 are dead as of now.

It is not clear how the bus and the truck ended up in the same carriageway (the regular NH 544 route through Avinashi is a 6-lane dual carriageway with service roads on both sides).
Here's a better news article on the same incident:

Bus from Bengaluru to Ernakulam meets with accident in TN, 17 people dead

Quote:
The incident took place around 3.15 am in Tirupur's Avinashi when a lorry rammed into the Kerala RTC bus. According to preliminary reports, the Kerala registered lorry, which was coming from the opposite direction, was attempting to overtake when it lost control, ran over the divider and rammed into the bus. The bus has been completely damaged in the accident, especially the right side of the vehicle.
From the news videos on TV, it's clear that the bus was on the right lane, and the Palakkad bound traffic was seen being diverted to the service road, while vehicles can be seen on the Salem bound carriageway - the container lorry was resting on the median.

The Kerala minister for transport said that he has been apprised by the officials at the accident spot that the lorry driver doze off behind the wheel and the lorry jumped the median.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 09:32   #30487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Here's a better news article on the same
Coming across so many accidents where vehicles from the opposite carriageway jump the median and crash onto you. We've discussed on drain type medians to reduce such mishaps but these medians are no good when it is dark and more so when it is dark and raining due to the constant glare from the opposite traffic.

Railings are helpful may be for cars but mighty trucks will just rip them apart and jump to the other side. Taller stronger concrete walls on the median should be ideal.

No amount of anticipation would have helped here at all even if you are one of those who overtake and get back to the left lane because it may have happened even while you were overtaking!

Dual carriageways have made our journeys smoother and faster but the accidents of this nature prove to be more fatal because of the allowable speeds today. The container truck was a Bharat-Benz that are known to be faster than the rest on a normal day.
paragsachania is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 09:34   #30488
BHPian

Horrific incident . May the souls of the departed rest in peace.

The driver / conductor was from my place in Kerala and he's a personally known guy.

It's said that the bus departed Bangalore a day late due to less passengers.
Asish_VK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 09:46   #30489
Distinguished - BHPian

This accident just had to happen; extremely unfortunate.

The driver dozes off - trailer veers to the right - jumps median - container comes off -hits an innocent on coming vehicle - 17+ dead.

I know several truckers who take breaks between 3 and 5 am, 'coz that is the time one falls asleep momentarily; have myself faced this issue having worked in Shifts for many years.

The only way to avoid is to stick to the center lane as much as possible, but then, that one shift to the right lane can also be disastrous if one is destined to get hit.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 09:50   #30490
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
The only way to avoid is to stick to the center lane as much as possible, but then, that one shift to the right lane can also be disastrous if one is destined to get hit.
Such accidents always reminds me of this one where even a car managed to kill the bus driver and how:

paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 09:53   #30491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
Horrific incident . May the souls of the departed rest in peace.

The driver / conductor was from my place in Kerala and he's a personally known guy.

It's said that the bus departed Bangalore a day late due to less passengers.
Sorry to hear that sir. May he Rest in peace.
Old 20th February 2020, 10:09   #30492
Senior - BHPian

The side is completely ripped off.

This type of accident is the worst nightmare while travelling in these class of bus (be it Volvo, Scania or Merc..). With absolutely little strength on its sides and front (thanks to the vast glass panels), it just collapses. Any impact on these areas at high speeds will turn out to be fatal.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-coimbatoreksrtccrash4.jpg

RIP.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 20th February 2020 at 10:14.
balenoed_ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 10:26   #30493

Reports are all conflicting each other , don't think its a blow out more like an overtaking went fatal .
17 lives lost such a tragic incident !
Old 20th February 2020, 10:38   #30494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

This type of accident is the worst nightmare while travelling in these class of bus (be it Volvo, Scania or Merc..)

Attachment 1971543

RIP.

This is breaking my heart. I travel on the same route quite frequently. I only go for a bus if train tickets are unavailable and that is usually the case. May their families gain enough strength to deal with this tragedy. RIP.
Night_Fury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 10:46   #30495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

This type of accident is the worst nightmare while travelling in these class of bus (be it Volvo, Scania or Merc..). With absolutely little strength on its sides and front (thanks to the vast glass panels), it just collapses.
RIP.
To be honest all A/C buses and not just the big three..It's sad to see that despite several improvements made in the making cars safer,buses still are lacking way behind.Any frontal collision and the driver in most of the cases is dead.So in the bus industry it doesn't really matter if u buy a bus worth 50L or above 1Cr the driver and others suffer the most.

Did a bit of digging through and found this bus(RS784) was rebuilt in 2016 when it crashed last time.Could this mean the structural integrity of this bus was severely affected?
Attaching some pictures of the previous incident.
Pic credits:http://www.kalakaumudi.com/english/g...ver-Killed.php
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ksrtcbangalorekottayamvolvometwithanaccidentdriverkilled20160905_2.jpg

Last edited by TSIVTEC : 20th February 2020 at 10:55.
TSIVTEC is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed