Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2020, 10:58   #30496
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
The biker attempts a quick overtake by going on the opposite side of the road.
The JCB changes lane (?to cross the road) without much indication.
The biker brakes and tries to change lanes to avoid a crash. ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
I first thought that the guy was doing a powerslide stunt. And he almost pulled it off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
If you watch carefully the biker has started skidding at second 7 in your video, where as the JCB driving close to the middle of the road starts moving right nearly a second later
I also thought that the biker was able to do the stunt in an emergency braking situation, the steering input towards the direction of movement seems like that. Good that he didn't end up doing a barrel roll.

we being a community of knowledgeable guys interested in automobile, I feel sad to see people using the term JCB for the earth moving equipment shown in the video. You might be aware, the machine is called a 'Backhoe Loader' (BHL in short). But, can't blame anyone here, JCB sells the maximum BHLs in India and thus the name has become synonym with the machine. Same as how photocopy became Xerox.
Jerryaj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 12:25   #30497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryaj View Post
I also thought that the biker was able to do the stunt in an emergency braking situation, the steering input towards the direction of movement seems like that. Good that he didn't end up doing a barrel roll.
Yes. In an emergency situation, I do the gradual front brake, enough so that it doesn't lift the rear Tyre up, while pressing the rear brake just to help. Usually for me, the combination would be 70:30 front:rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryaj View Post
... the machine is called a 'Backhoe Loader' ....
YES ! Someone understands this.
iWonder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 13:26   #30498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
Horrific incident . May the souls of the departed rest in peace.

The driver / conductor was from my place in Kerala and he's a personally known guy.
Apparently, It is learnt that this is the same crew who once, couple of years back, re-routed the bus to a hospital to avail medical attention for a passenger. And they were widely praised for their action. One of them even stayed in the hospital until the relatives of the passenger arrived.

That article here (in Malayalam):
https://www.manoramaonline.com/news/...book-post.html

The same bus that was involved in today's accident with the same crew:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-byjugireeshksrtc.jpg
balenoed_ is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 13:34   #30499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Apparently, It is learnt that this is the same crew who once, couple of years back, re-routed the bus to a hospital to avail medical attention for a passenger. And they were widely praised for their action. One of them even stayed in the hospital until the relatives of the passenger arrived.

That article here (in Malayalam):
https://www.manoramaonline.com/news/...book-post.html

The same bus that was involved in today's accident with the same crew:

They were good people and frequent travellers were very much happy with their behavior and nature
The conductor, Byju was from my place . He was such a nice person and everyone liked him at our village . Sad news indeed.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 22nd February 2020 at 23:37. Reason: Removed attachment from quoted post. Thanks.
Asish_VK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 14:15   #30500
BHPian

An interesting idea of automatic speed control system for road safety is being explained by a school kid.

Have a watch and listen:-

tbppjpr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 14:22   #30501
BHPian

There's nothing that could've been done by the Driver of the Bus, in such freak accidents. Poor Driver and others paid the price for some other's mistake.

Middle Eastern countries have an advantage of having desert sand in between the roads, which acts as divider as well as natural speed reducers in case of tyre bursts and other kind of accidents. Off course, the width in between these roads will be usually 10-20 metres.
jaaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 17:11   #30502
Senior - BHPian

Happened on Pune-Mumbai expressway. One man killed while cross the road at 8 PM, multiple vehicles run over the body till police arrive.

I am not sure why a person would try to cross six lanes of a road which has all vehicles doing 90+ kmph speeds, that too in dark. Sad news. Should help raise some awareness though.

https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...icles-6277063/
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 18:50   #30503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Dual carriageways have made our journeys smoother and faster but the accidents of this nature prove to be more fatal because of the allowable speeds today.
Sad state of our highways. Though it appears "world class", the safety has been severely compromised. Non existent space between right lane and the median. One can drive inches close to the median without even knowing. Ideally there should be rumble zones of at least couple of foot wide next to median to alert drivers. Can at least reduce the accidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
The driver dozes off - trailer veers to the right - jumps median - container comes off -hits an innocent on coming vehicle - 17+ dead.
This seems true as there is evidence of truck riding the divider for more than 50m and then crossing over. Clear sign of driver dozing off at the wheels. Also the road curves at the spot. The driver has surrendered and is being questioned.

Last edited by bejoy : 20th February 2020 at 18:52.
bejoy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 18:57   #30504
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Non existent space between right lane and the median. One can drive inches close to the median without even knowing. Ideally there should be rumble zones of at least couple of foot wide next to median to alert drivers. Can at least reduce the accidents.
Apart from this, the width of the median itself is compromised whenever we have seen roads expand from single carriageway to dual (4 or 6 lanes). Have seen roads where the median itself is as wide 2 feet.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 00:23   #30505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
This seems true as there is evidence of truck riding the divider for more than 50m and then crossing over. Clear sign of driver dozing off at the wheels. Also the road curves at the spot. The driver has surrendered and is being questioned.
Some more information in this news report - What caused horrific Kerala bus accident? Lorry driver claims to have lost control

Quote:
Investigating officials who have conducted an enquiry with the driver tell TNM that he claims to have lost control of vehicle, leading to the collision. He had absconded following the accident and was later secured by the police in Perundurai, Erode. According to the police, when the lorry hit a median, its container detached from the vehicle and rammed into the bus on the opposite side, completely crushing the right wing of the bus. However police are investigating further to understand the alleged loss of control of the vehicle.

"There are two explanations for this," says Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) V Badrinarayanan. "Either he has dozed off and lost control of the vehicle or a tyre has burst leading to the crash into the median. He says he does not know how he lost control but this is where a third may be brought into consideration," he adds.

According to the police, the container lorry which was carrying floor tiles was overloaded.

"When the vehicle is overloaded, even if you lose concentration for a minute it will be difficult to bring it back into control," says the DCP. "We will be ascertaining exactly what the ceiling length of such a consignment is and what the regulations say it can be. The driver is skilled and has a heavy vehicle license," he adds.

The Regional Transport office is currently examining the lorry to determine the cause for the crash. They will also be determining if there was a tyre burst or the tyres were destroyed in the accident.
airbus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 07:14   #30506
Senior - BHPian

A drunk lorry driver fails to negotiate the barriers in Kallakurichi and crashes into cctv poles causing extensive damage.

He was apparently arrested and fined rs. 1.25 lakhs for the damages caused.
Old 22nd February 2020, 12:29   #30507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Claims to have lost control? That is so obvious! Even if he had been fiddling with his phone at that time, do we think he is going to reveal that? Easiest excuse is to just say that 'I lost control! Don't know how and why".

The bottom-line is that nobody can afford to lose control even for a second!

Just ridiculous driving by the lorry driver!. Can't believe when I see reports of drivers dozing off. How can someone fall asleep when doing something as involving as driving?

The driver should just spend the rest of his life behind bars.

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd February 2020 at 13:30. Reason: lost = lose & other typos.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 13:47   #30508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Can't believe when I see reports of drivers dozing off. How can someone fall asleep when doing something as involving as driving?
Here is recent example from Kerala
crdi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 14:58   #30509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

The same bus that was involved in today's accident
Great picture. Watching it makes me emotional. I don't have anything to contribute to the analysis, but thought I should post something out of respect for these departed souls. I frequently use Garuda king class, though never have travelled in this specefic bus. Over the past few days, I have heard from multiple people about how good natured these two gentlemen were. The minister has stated that from preliminary investigation, it was entirely the fault of the lorry driver. They just were at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Interstate buses are usually run by goons. Generally I have felt the government operators to have much well behaved employees than the private ones.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 22nd February 2020 at 23:33. Reason: Typos.
padmrajravi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 17:57   #30510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
A drunk lorry driver fails to negotiate the barriers in Kallakurichi and crashes into cctv poles causing extensive damage.

He was apparently arrested and fined rs. 1.25 lakhs for the damages caused.
I hate those barricades! The moment you enter TN, there they are in all their sadistic glory.
deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks