Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2020, 22:49   #30556
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

This accident in Kerala this month brings to light many of the points discussed about overtaking in the last few posts - ego, unplanned, no anticipation, never in control, etc. With such a wide road I wonder why the truck chose to overtake like this and then being unable to avoid crashing into the bike.

The biker appears to be injured and once again I cringe at attempts to lift him.
BenjiRoss is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 23:17   #30557
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
With such a wide road I wonder why the truck chose to overtake like this and then being unable to avoid crashing into the bike.
His intention seems to be more like ramming the opposite-side houses than overtaking. Poor guy on the bike doesn't seem to have had much of a chance.
Old 29th February 2020, 15:11   #30558
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arighna.dutta View Post
From,
a driver - feeling low on Bangalore roads.
I can relate to your post. As a defensive driver i am often told, during my visits to India, that I drive too slow (when I reduce speed in built up areas and intersections), that I do not know how to overtake (if I wait for oncoming traffic), when I don’t use the horn or do yield at a pedestrian crossings. I could go on. But I continue being a defensive driver because it’s the right thing to do. And so should you.
And the same folks ask me to slow down when I’m on the autobahn at 160 kmph, driving slower than usual for the sake of the visitors I’m chauffeuring !
Zed is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 19:27   #30559
BHPian

Ego Factor, Disaster waiting to happen, Stupidity, whatever you wish to call

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-stunt.jpg

Sarvodaya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 12:44   #30560
Senior - BHPian

On our way to Dahanu this morning at 6:49 saw this just after the Mira Bhyander Flyover at the Junction. Seems a tempo guy was crossing at the junction which led to this.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-427649c9e4f949e68fd8f7c200ef3092.jpeg

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 2nd March 2020 at 18:33. Reason: Typo corrected: Dhannu to Dahanu
SnS_12 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 10:49   #30561
BHPian

Yesterday evening around 8:30pm, there was a multi vehicle pile up on Bellary Road in the lane heading to the City from the Airport. I could see at least 3 cars involved - an old Honda City (Dolphin shape) ;Swift Dzire cab and a Honda Jazz. Looked like high speed lane changing gone bad and the Honda City had almost jumped into the opposite lane, getting stuck on the median in the process.

No pics of the scene which resulted in a long jam on both sides. As I was waiting for the traffic to clear and inching ahead, this orange color Vitara Brezza inches past me, minus the front right part of the car. The driver was driving normally and the vehicle looked to be behaving normally as well. Looks like there is a lot of vacant space under the Brezza bonnet.Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20200301_203215.jpg

Mod Note - Desire = Dzire.

Please proof read your post before submitting it.

Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Last edited by Sheel : 3rd March 2020 at 10:23. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 2nd March 2020, 13:38   #30562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arighna.dutta View Post
The 'ego' factor is so huge on Indian roads. Be it any size of vehicle and not limited to just vehicles. The sense of yielding for others is not only absent, it is gone to the other end of the spectrum, where folks look for how to snatch away others right of the way, lane or a given space even if that may lead to an accident for the other.
These two lines sum up the situation on our roads completely. And this has extended to other aspects of life too but that discussion is in some other thread. If I begin to overtake someone then it is guaranteed that 9 times out of 10 the other person will speed up or try to get in my way somehow and then feign ignorance.

Quote:
The biker appears to be injured and once again I cringe at attempts to lift him.
The truck had no business driving in that manner and the driver should be held guilty of planned murder no less. On the other hand I think that had the scooter driver continued on his path instead of pulling to the left then he might have missed the truck. Not blaming him at all - just a possibility. He did the right thing thinking that the truck was going to carry on straight.
luvDriving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 17:44   #30563
BHPian

Spotted this accident today morning and then again while returning on NICE road just after the exit that goes to Nayandahalli. Looks like something in front of the trailer braked hard resulting in a multi truck incident.

The first two images are of the tractor trailer and another truck directly in front of it with minor damage. We can see the undamaged trailer load bay being held up by a crane and probably being attached to the other tractor trailer cab seen in the second image.

The third image is of a truck that had gone off the road to the left with severe rear end damage. I suspect the major part of the contact involved this truck and the tractor trailer.

The last one is of the same cab while returning. Could not manage a closer shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-n_mcaa_20200302120342_005_0010_l.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-n_mcaa_20200302120342_000_0010_l.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-n_mcaa_20200302120342_025_0010_l.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-n_mcaa_20200302163345_055_0010_l.jpeg  

Old 3rd March 2020, 00:11   #30564
BHPian

Quote:
This accident in Kerala this month brings to light many of the points discussed about overtaking in the last few posts - ego, unplanned, no anticipation, never in control, etc. With such a wide road I wonder why the truck chose to overtake like this and then being unable to avoid crashing into the bike.

Am I wrong in feeling that the two wheeler driver also could've prevented this by driving not in the middle of the lane but at the extreme left, or the "two wheeler lane"? Maybe then the truck wouldn't have moved to his left trying to avoid hitting and he could've saved himself.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident.png
Old 3rd March 2020, 01:46   #30565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
Am I wrong in feeling that the two wheeler driver also could've prevented this by driving not in the middle of the lane but at the extreme left, or the "two wheeler lane"? Maybe then the truck wouldn't have moved to his left trying to avoid hitting and he could've saved himself.
That's the road shoulder, not a "two wheeler lane"
McLaren Rulez is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 02:52   #30566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
That's the road shoulder, not a "two wheeler lane"
Hence the quotation marks. I didn't say it is, but I was always told to drive close to it on a two wheeler. So it kind of became that, and I've generally seen a good amount of two wheelers drive close to it, including in that video before the accident. Driving in the middle of the lane on a two wheeler in India can be very, very dangerous, for the reasons which are all too obvious here.
RoadMonkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 09:17   #30567
BHPian

Quote:
This accident in Kerala this month brings to light many of the points discussed about overtaking in the last few posts - ego, unplanned, no anticipation, never in control, etc. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
On the other hand I think that had the scooter driver continued on his path instead of pulling to the left then he might have missed the truck. Not blaming him at all - just a possibility. He did the right thing thinking that the truck was going to carry on straight.

A trend that is becoming too common now. When the truck is overtaking and sees an oncoming vehicle, the driver, instead of slowing down and merging back into his lane, tries to "adjust" and move to the edge of the opposite lane to let the oncoming vehicle pass. If you want to see more of this, drive the Kannur-Calicut stretch and you can see private buses try this all the time. It has even personally happened to me many times. As luvDriving mentioned, the rider could have stayed his course, but it is extremely confusing to the oncoming vehicle. Another place where one can observe this "phenomenon" is the Kuthiran climb, along the Coimbatore-Ernakulam highway.
GeneralJazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 09:23   #30568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIVTEC View Post
.Once in route to Palakkad in their Volvo B9R,I had to go to the front to ask the conductor where exactly it would stop,at that moment I was left in shock seeing the speedo stuck above 120kmh.
Aren't the Volvo buses ECU locked to 80 kmph after the fire incident hitting the curvlet a few years ago?
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 09:45   #30569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Aren't the Volvo buses ECU locked to 80 kmph after the fire incident hitting the curvlet a few years ago?
Yes, all these operators get it unlocked at the service center, but then I think the operator need to make a written request to do so.

Cheers
Old 3rd March 2020, 10:49   #30570
BHPian

Quote:
Am I wrong in feeling that the two wheeler driver also could've prevented this by driving not in the middle of the lane but at the extreme left, or the "two wheeler lane"?
Quote:
Driving in the middle of the lane on a two wheeler in India can be very, very dangerous, for the reasons which are all too obvious here.
Well, If he had done that then maybe this video might have been in close misses thread but members here would then be complaining about how these two wheelers guys have no lane discipline and act as if they own the road.
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed