Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2020, 15:53   #30571
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
Am I wrong in feeling that the two wheeler driver also could've prevented this by driving not in the middle of the lane but at the extreme left, or the "two wheeler lane"?
You are perhaps right but looking at the speed of the truck and the reaction time available for the scooter guy I think it was inevitable. In that case maybe he would have got out with minor injuries.

I also follow this whenever I am on a 2 wheeler. I keep to the left side and only shift lanes for overtakes or if some obstruction is there in my lane. But when I am driving a car, I observe that about 50% 2 wheelers keep to the right lane or are all over the road.

Just the other day something similar happened to me. I was driving at slow speeds - 30ish on city roads and a couple of 2 wheelers approached from the opposite side but riding in my lane. Just as we approached each other, one two wheeler went to his left to avoid me and the other one went to my left

Thankfully there was no vehicle beside me otherwise I don't know what would have been the result.
Old 3rd March 2020, 20:03   #30572
Senior - BHPian

Another fatal accident in Kerala - Sultan Bathery.
One person lost his life as per initial reports.
I can't figure out what caused the bus to do what it ended up doing.
Go to 45 seconds if you'd like to go to the crash in the video
BenjiRoss is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 20:10   #30573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
There is a small hatchback that has a head on collision with the bus. Maybe a nano. Can't believe it's just one life lost. I can literally see people catapulted out of the bus.
JithinR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 20:16   #30574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
There is a small hatchback that has a head on collision with the bus. Maybe a nano. Can't believe it's just one life lost. I can literally see people catapulted out of the bus.
Yes sir, it's a blue Nano.
Feel sorry for the passengers of the bus as well as the car. Perhaps, with a truck parked on one side, and a red hatch parked on the other, there was too less of a space to evade or maneuver properly.

Last edited by Torq : 3rd March 2020 at 20:18.
Torq is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 20:30   #30575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's a Zen Estilo, not a Nano.
Can't really see the actual reason behind the accident, the way the bus lost control seems to indicate high speeds.
speedmiester is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 20:38   #30576
Team-BHP Support

That orange car (looks like a Polo?) has a movie-grade escape from getting catastrophically involved!

I'd like to think the driver noticed what's happening and stopped, hoping for the best instead of making a rash evasive maneuver which could've led to further vehicles on the undivided road getting mixed up in the mess.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd March 2020 at 20:40.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 20:58   #30577
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
The blue estilo/wagonR was too fast and got involved in a "who will blink first" real estate fight for the space on the road with the oncoming bus. After colliding, the bus tried to avoid hitting two people on a two wheeler immediately in front, with a moose-test hard-right swerve, which caused it to keel over and also ended up running over the two wheeler and its unfortunate occupants. The red polo had stopped (I think to drop someone) for a few moments, just before the blue car appeared in the scene, and had already started moving, but panic braked immediately upon seeing the bus coming his way. Must be still thanking his stars.

Last edited by venkyhere : 3rd March 2020 at 21:00.
venkyhere is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 21:18   #30578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
which caused it to keel over and also ended up running over the two wheeler and its unfortunate occupants.
Are you sure there is a two wheeler involved. Could not find a two wheeler getting caught in the medley. Could see two 2 of them in the video which just managed to escape. The fatality looks to be of the estilo. The bus surely pressed accelerator along with swerving to gain that speed from almost a dead stop it did.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 3rd March 2020 at 21:21.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 22:14   #30579
BHPian

The lorry started to move without looking behind and braked after realising the bus coming.
There was space for only one vehicle as the road sides were occupied by the truck and the Orange Polo.
Either the Blue Zen or the bus should have slowed down and given way for each other. When two bodies rush to occupy the same space, the result is called as 'Collision'.

Strange that the bus driver pressed accelerator instead of brake after hitting the car. Must be panic. Can't believe that the occupants of the car and the front-right side occupants of the bus, including its driver, are alive.

If the fatality is one, it got to be the person with blue
shirt who was on rear foot board of bus, fell down when the bus crashed into the tree and then the bus fell over him.

RIP.

Those with patience survive the circus called as 'Indian roads'. The impatient end up as patients (as inpatients) or in mortuary.
Arwin07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 10:21   #30580
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
The lorry started to move without looking behind and braked after realising the bus coming.

Those with patience survive the circus called as 'Indian roads'. The impatient end up as patients (as inpatients) or in mortuary.
As far as i can see;

1. the bus seems to be overtaking other vehicles and tries to squeeze in.
2. The blue car is going too fast for the road, seems to be out of control (moves left and then right) not sure though.
3. the lorry starts and stops, but is still off the road.

Yes, patience is key to driving anywhere in the world. But we can say it is in short supply in today's world.
Jerryaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 11:16   #30581
BHPian

1. The bus was overtaking a car and was on the opp lane
2. The red polo was stationary on the road and hence maybe the blue Zen was on the middle of the road
3. The bus tried to squeeze back in but the zen hit it. Doesn't seem like the Zen made any effort to slow down either. Maybe he was expecting the bus to squeeze back in by that time.
4. The zen hit the bus which then lost control
Old 4th March 2020, 11:53   #30582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At second 44 the parked truck moves a bit and stops, that probably made the driver of the bus swerve a bit to the right, and then swerve back to the left. The estillo stuck to the middle of the road, and hit the Bus hit the Estillo head on.
This head on hit could have caused the tie-rod to snap, or the link rod to bend making the bus take a sharp right and overturn.

Rahul

Last edited by benbsb29 : 4th March 2020 at 11:59. Reason: Removed video embed from quoted post.
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 16:38   #30583
BHPian

It seems to be a case of overtaking gone wrong for the bus. As far as I can see, the bus is in the opposite lane while the car is moving at good speed. The car as well as the bus had nowhere to go except dash head on due to the vehicles parked on the road.

If you observe the petrol pump when the attendant and the rickshaw driver start running towards the bus, you can see another mini-accident avoided. The rickshaw which had exited the frame earlier was backing up and almost hit the running attendant who managed to jump out of its way in the nick of time.
Old 4th March 2020, 19:57   #30584
BHPian

I think the main culprit is a slow moving vehicle (looks like a Mahindra pickup) seen at 0:34 second which had stopped after going past the orange polo (hidden by the stationary truck).

This has narrowed down the carriage way and the fast moving Zen Estilo and the over speeding bus were in a dual to outwit each other for the limited space.

Would be a miracle if the reported death is only the guy who fell from the bus and was crushed by it.

Last edited by Habanero City : 4th March 2020 at 20:00.
Old 4th March 2020, 20:12   #30585
BHPian

After watching and reading about so many incidents in this thread, never imagined I'd be featuring my own car here someday. A tractor trolley smashed into the side of my car last week while I was driving to Bhopal.

Guy ended up taking off the left door handle, scraping rear quarter panel and door, smashed the front LHS door glass, broken ORVM , punched a hole in the door (and in my pocket too, the repair estimate is over a lakh)

Thank god he took out the front door - My daughter was in her child seat at the rear LHS.

P.S. Fairly new to the dashcam so don't know how to slow down the video.

Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pas1.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pas2.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pas3.jpeg  

WasavaTyres is online now   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks