Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2020, 14:21   #30691
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Empty roads are very tempting. I see almost all official vehicles or people speeding around on bikes. There is no sensibility regarding road manners these days. The number of accidents are miniscule right now but I guess we will see an exponential rise once lockdown period gets over. I feel many people will go out for drives/rides after this. Everyone has an itch for it. I hope things stay in control.
BoneCollector is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 14:34   #30692
Distinguished - BHPian

A couple of days ago, I was tempted to post jokingly about there being only two vehicles on the road in the whole of India, and they collided. Not so funny now.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 15:45   #30693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaktisarangi View Post
The MG Hector seems to have been involved in a minimal frontal overlap crash at an angle, wherein bulk of impact seems to be concentrated on the fender and A-pillar. Most vehicles will struggle to maintain structural integrity in such a scenario. For more information on impact of minimal front overlap crashes, you can refer to this link.
https://www.iihs.org/ratings/about-our-tests
I wonder if the propensity of the driver to swerve to avoid full frontal impact may result in such a situation. Perhaps a full frontal impact would have distributed the forces more uniformly ?
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 12:32   #30694
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to Debdas Pattnaik for sending this in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
Saw this report about an accident on Old Madras Road - an ambulance going at high speed mowed down three people standing at the roadside early morning around 3:20 am. Many were injured including patients in the ambulance.
Source
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 20:37   #30695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Looks like they missed a speed-breaker and lost control. News Article.
Speed, carelessness (missing a speed-breaker), not wearing a seatbelt = disaster waiting to happen.
In addition to high speed and not wearing seatbelts, the divider needs a cushioning mechanism. We have seen rubber cushions designed to lessen impact that are placed at the beginning of such dividers. Here the divider already existed but it suddenly changed height and became higher. Tragically the car hit it at that very location. We need to scientifically lessen road hazards by placing such cushioning systems, especially on highways and main roads. Here is an example:
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-crashcushion3.jpg  

Lobogris is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 20:08   #30696
Senior - BHPian

The lockdown has definitely decreased the accident rates dramatically.
But some accidents seem to still happen.
A car rams into a cop car and injured a cop before driving away. This happened on the Krishnagiri Dharmapuri border area.
BenjiRoss is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 20:45   #30697
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
A car rams into a cop car and injured a cop before driving away. This happened on the Krishnagiri Dharmapuri border area.
This looks like a movie scene straight from the 70's!
Seems like the Ambassador driver was involved in some criminal activity! Else just for lockdown police checking, hitting a jeep so hard and running away like this is very unlikely!

Had it been a modern car, the car would have broken down right there, but the Ambassador sped up and escaped! Just see the black smoke while the car accelerated!

After the Ambassador escaped, the white Baleno and the biker had a close call too (at the 17th second).

Last edited by Samba : 2nd April 2020 at 20:56.
Samba is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 21:14   #30698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
The lockdown has definitely decreased the accident rates dramatically.
But some accidents seem to still happen.
This reminds me of NFS-Most wanted game in Indian Avatar!

And what's with that white car (Baleno or i20??) which sees the incident but continues moving forward by driving on the oncoming lane and can be seen speeding. Was he trying to give a chase probably?

Last edited by nagr22 : 2nd April 2020 at 21:14. Reason: Removed video link
Old 4th April 2020, 13:16   #30699
BHPian

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident1585982072.jpeg

Quote:
Actress Sharmiela Mandre and her male friend Lokesh Vasanth have sustained serious injuries in an accident happened in the wee hours on Saturday. Mandre is said to have sustained injuries on her face and hand, while her friend Lokesh has a fracture on his hand, according to High Grounds Traffic police.

After some time police got a memo from Fortis hospital on Cunningham Road stating two persons identified as Sharmiela Mandre, 33, and Lokesh Vasanth, 35, have been admitted in the hospital. But they have given a statement saying they met with an accident in JP Nagar in South Bengaluru.

We then rushed to the hospital to find the duo undergoing treatment. We are waiting for doctors permission to record a statement from the duo and investigate the case further, said an investigating officer.

"We don't know how the car hit the pillars in underbridge if the accident has taken place in JP Nagar. According to doctors, it is suspected that the duo was under the influence but a report yet to come," the investing police said.

Police are suspecting the duo have given a false statement to divert and misguide their investigation.

However, the duo didn't have any pass to come outside during COVID-91 lockdown. They are suspected to be on a jolly drive without any pass, violating the lockdown prohibitory order.

A case has been registered in High Grounds Traffic police station. The Jaguar car bearing registration number KA-51-MJ-2481 has been seized. Further investigation is on.
Source
boniver is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 16:37   #30700
Distinguished - BHPian

Accidents are not stopping despite the sparse traffic. Here is a ghastly accident from Gujarat on Friday night wherein a XUV 5OO dashed with a truck. Five people are dead while one is injured.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/5-de...mpression=true
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 18:27   #30701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
This reminds me of NFS-Most wanted game in Indian Avatar!

And what's with that white car (Baleno or i20??) which sees the incident but continues moving forward by driving on the oncoming lane and can be seen speeding. Was he trying to give a chase probably?
Seems like they are a duo. The Baleno did not think his accomplice would do something like that, slowed down, inspected the damage and then sped off along with the Ambassador is my guess. The way he took the wrong side to speed away reiterates that.
bharatbits is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 19:08   #30702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Accidents are not stopping despite the sparse traffic. Here is a ghastly accident from Gujarat on Friday night wherein a XUV 5OO dashed with a truck. Five people are dead while one is injured.

That news says both drivers are dead.
Where was the truck driver? I think he was standing behind the truck?
_chikku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 20:50   #30703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Some more Pictures

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-car-1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-car-4.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-car-6.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ses_4941.jpg

Last edited by Sarvodaya : 4th April 2020 at 21:00.
Sarvodaya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 16:14   #30704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post

There are a lot of interesting and invaluable facts and figures that the Lock-down is putting forward for us to see and realize from a very unique and rare perspective. That is simply incredible!

That said, in the case of these accidents happening even with zero traffic, it presents a very interesting set of new facts to ponder upon. Basically about us Indians. Some things this makes me understand is:

1)Almost all Indians cannot learn. It SEEMS to us that there are educated people, but in fact people are just "restricted" by the various systems like law when they seemingly are acting decent.
The moment this 'Restriction'(in this case traffic cops/rules/cops/traffic,etc) is removed, we automatically default to what we really are. Uncontrolled freaks with no regard for basic decency or sensibility. Even if that means somebody, or a lot of bodies end up dead.
It means "education" or "civilization"doesn't alter us fundamentally as a human being. It just temporarily restricts our default settings. Like an Antivirus. The moment the Antivirus is gone, we're toast.

2)The assumption that accidents are mostly also due to outside factors, like other road users/traffic, etc, is almost totally false. The prime cause, the driver in the seat, is the sole cause of the accident. But the blame is normally falsely shared. Because as we can see, even with zero traffic/other factors, we're just as dead.

3)Almost everybody is sure that the normal penalties are not going to be slapped on them because everybody is focusing on covid-19 and your traffic people/cameras are offline. Actually this should activate our 'responsibility' gene(dunno if it's there), but apparently thats not happening. At least, a few of these retards should be heavily penalized so as to act as an effective deterrent to potential future Formula-1 wannabes. Because these accidents are resulting in wasting of useful resources in mopping up the mess which ideally shouldn't be happening.

Ridiculous, shameful, sad.

Just my two cents. I just hope things change and lives are spared
pixantz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 19:37   #30705
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
3)Almost everybody is sure that the normal penalties are not going to be slapped on them because everybody is focusing on covid-19 and your traffic people/cameras are offline. Actually this should activate our 'responsibility' gene(dunno if it's there), but apparently thats not happening. At least, a few of these retards should be heavily penalized so as to act as an effective deterrent to potential future Formula-1 wannabes. Because these accidents are resulting in wasting of useful resources in mopping up the mess which ideally shouldn't be happening.
Everybody should be wondering if they would ever get an ambulance in these times, and what limited medical resources will be available to them. But they won't, because accidents only happen to other people anyway.

When I have had to drive across this city on empty streets, eg 2.00am, in normal times, it is true that my average speed will beat normal-day speeds hands down, but I drive with even more care than usual, because there will be others, and they may be going way faster, with way less respect for junctions, signals, etc.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks