Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2020, 17:09   #31246
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Haven't looked again, but don't recall there being anywhere for them to turn into. And wasn't their speed far too fast?
No doubt speed was too fast. The car came flying.

Maybe I did not make myself clear. What I meant was they might be trying something similar to this video - (Check at 2 mins mark).

Just a speculation.
Amit_breakfree is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 18:25   #31247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Haven't looked again, but don't recall there being anywhere for them to turn into. And wasn't their speed far too fast?
High speed, could have braked to avoid something, locking their tyres up and well the result is there for all to see...

People are curious to test their vehicles top speed but never bother to test the stoppage.

Sigh, that video was painful to watch :(
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 18:33   #31248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit_breakfree View Post
Maybe I did not make myself clear. What I meant was they might be trying something similar to this video ...
That is a brilliant piece of driving skill.

On this straight, almost empty (sadly only almost) road, can't imagine what stunt they might have had in mind.
Old 4th August 2020, 19:32   #31249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also, this looks like a Gen 2 Swift and the brakes in Gen 2 (apart from ZXI) were pathetic.
Brakes of a car are generally same (Swift in this case) irrespective of the variant of the car unless they have a different set-up eg: Kia Seltos and Creta get disc brakes on the rear wheels in higher variants. Did you mean ABS availability in the ZXi and ZDi by chance?

RIP to those poor souls on the bike when it was not there mistake at all.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 4th August 2020 at 19:34.
Old 4th August 2020, 19:39   #31250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Brakes of a car are generally same (Swift in this case) irrespective of the variant of the car unless they have a different set-up eg: Kia Seltos and Creta get disc brakes on the rear wheels in higher variants. Did you mean ABS availability in the ZXi and ZDi by chance?
Not in this case buddy.

From Team-BHP's official review by GTO - "Maruti used to offer ABS as an option on the earlier "V" variants, and it's inexplicable that the same has been taken away on the new Swift. What makes matters worse is that the "L" and "V" variants have poor brakes, since it's only the "Z" level that receives the "brake assist" feature. While Maruti is tight-lipped on what brake assist means, from my drive in the ZXi, I can assure you that brake assist = bigger brake booster." (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...11-2017-a.html (Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)))

Additionally, ZXI/ZDI get ABS as well.

We do not know the variant of the car from the video but I think it was L or V variant - due to the way the brakes jammed.
Amit_breakfree is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 22:26   #31251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is a brilliant piece of driving skill.
Off topic but Jason Plato is really good at handbrake turns! See 1:48 onwards

McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 00:28   #31252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
due to the way the brakes jammed.
Just trying to understand, Why or when would the brake "Jam"? if you take example of this particular crash. Asking because I have never encountered any such scenarios so do not know what does it take.

I guess here in this case, there is an involvement of hand brake - Either a quarrel inside or just someone inside decided to see what it feels like if the hand brake is applied.
Old 5th August 2020, 00:38   #31253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Just trying to understand, Why or when would the brake "Jam"?
I guess here in this case, there is an involvement of hand brake.
Brakes would jam because there is no ABS. Maybe locked would be a better word here. In case of an emergency, if you press the brakes too hard (in a car with no ABS) the wheels can get locked up. Can happen to anyone in specific circumstances.

Certainly it looks like an involvement of handbrake here. That is why I shared the youtube link that the students might be trying something similar.
Amit_breakfree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 07:46   #31254
Senior - BHPian

The guys were never in control of the car as it enters the frame. They probably realised it and tried to brake or change lanes and sent the car into a spin.
Most people who try driving faster and faster don't realise they have less control over the car, unless an accident happens. Most people don't have an accident even when they drive at high speeds. Hence most people assume they are in full control of their car at high speeds.
BenjiRoss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 08:01   #31255
BHPian

What if there is a curve behind, which the driver couldn’t handle because of the insane speed and what we see in the video is his late and panic-driven attempt to undo his mistake. We may never know what happened in this case.

But we all know and agree is the speed of that car is way beyond the legal limits and all sort of reasons for the accident start from that and due to an idiot or a bunch of idiots, a family lost their dears.
Thanos-VV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 13:53   #31256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Exactly. A BMW (powerful car) will easily crawl ahead even on inclines.
The crawl in inclines has nothing to do with the vehicle's power, it is Hill Start Control/Hill Climb functionality seen in most automatic cars these days.
haldar_siliguri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 15:15   #31257
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos-VV View Post
What if there is a curve behind, which the driver couldn’t handle because of the insane speed and what we see in the video is his late and panic-driven attempt to undo his mistake. We may never know what happened in this case.
If I remember correctly, we see enough of the car travelling in a straight line to assume that it had been doing so before. BenjiRoss makes a good point
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss
The guys were never in control of the car as it enters the frame. They probably realised it and tried to brake or change lanes and sent the car into a spin.
They were "in control" as long as they kept that line. When trying to do something else, the control proved to be an illusion. We are all crazy-speculating here, and here's mine: could the something-else have been simply steering around the bike they suddenly saw in front of them? The lightest touch on the wheel would be enough, but the guy panicked and steered hard.

But... I'm doubting my own theory even as I type it! Because wouldn't that have taken the nose of the car to the right, with the rear coming around to the left, car side-on to the road, facing towards the median?

I don't know: I've never done that sort of driving, not even in safe conditions.

Quote:
If I remember correctly, we see enough of the car travelling in a straight line to assume that it had been doing so before..
<Later>

I happened to land on that page and did watch the video again. My memory was wrong. The car is actually coming from from the right side, obliquely to the left. This probably discounts most of what I said.

again!

Last edited by Sheel : 5th August 2020 at 19:10. Reason: As requested.
Old 6th August 2020, 15:59   #31258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
5 college students having fun on the highway results in the death of a couple on a two-wheeler near Tirupur. This has been the norm there from times immemorial. All 5 admitted in hospital with serious injuries. The couple died on the spot.
In continuation, I noticed that there was another two-wheeler riding in the wrong direction towards the couple and he stopped just before the car hit the couple.

Post the accident, you can see another two-wheeler riding in the wrong direction on the opposite lane.

Goes to show that irrespective of what happens, we never learn. The driver was never in control of the car when he entered the frame. He was already out of it.

Sometimes, I'm thankful that I don't ride a two-wheeler anymore even though it's something I miss.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 17:28   #31259
BHPian

4 north indian workers travelling to Tirupur from Chennai in a rental car, met with an accident near Krishnagiri, TN. Possibly the driver dozed off and rammed the truck moving in front of the car. 2 persons lost their lives. The driver and 2 other passengers are severely injured and taken to hospital.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th August 2020 at 20:56. Reason: Adding translation
Old 7th August 2020, 13:27   #31260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
CCTV captured the moment this car rammed into an ice cream vendor. Four people were injured. The incident happened in Amar colony in South Delhi.
The driver, a fashion designer, said that she was eating ice cream in the parked car, when her dog jumped on her. She hit the accelerator. It appears that the BMW was in the Drive mode when she was having her ice cream. She tried to flee but was later arrested by the police.
It appears she has never even hit the brakes till the last frame of this video. The brake lights don't come on at all. Somehow unable to buy the story about the dog tipping the gear to Drive and the car moving forward. I own an X1 myself and there's almost no possible way that you can unknowingly slot it into Drive and the car starts moving. There are so many controls in place to prevent that. Heck, you can't even exit the car leaving it in Drive. The car will switch itself to P whether you like it or not.

It's possible that the car was already in Drive and she was sitting with her foot on the brake. The dog jumps on her and she took her foot off the brake; the car starts creeping and she puts her foot back down on the gas instead of the brake. Looks like this is the case seeing the way the car starts moving and the events that unfold in the video.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th August 2020 at 03:19. Reason: Video URL removed from the quoted portion. Thanks! / minor spacing
alphahere is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks