Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2020, 17:31   #31621
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Actually, primary thing is the teaching to be polite and give consideration to others. And people... don't. Also they know that if they were to wait, there would be a honk-fest behind them, or, two wheelers would just cut around anyway.

On those occasions where I have had to reverse when taking a u-turn, I've realised that it is also my judgement and/or road position that was at fault in not getting it done in one go. But I drive a hatchback, not an SUV.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 19:28   #31622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post

https://Youtu.be/dkBKFTkkDEM

Here is today's footage from my dashcam. At this particular spot, a bolero tries to make a u-turn. Obviously, there isn't much space to make the turn in one go, and the driver had to reverse.

But none of the oncoming vehicles cared to wait and they kept driving, leaving no chance for the bolero to reverse.
If the bolero driver had reversed he would have hit the the wagonr. This is so common on almost all of India. You need to very quickly reverse the car to prevent other cars sneaking thought the gap.
This is one thing I really like here in Himachal. If you are doing a U-turn, people on both sides(since divided roads are so rare here) patiently wait keeping sufficient distance and no one honks at all. Sometimes, when I was new to driving in hills, I would stall the car and still no one would sneak in! But wait for the tourist season when a lot of people form neighbouring states visit here and honking becomes a common place (and 99% of chance it will be CH, PB, HR or DL car honking).

Quote:
Originally Posted by venbas View Post
On the other end many of these bigger vehicles take U turns in the middle of busy roads or intersections where there is no signal indicating that it is safe to do so.
Well, in the defence of the bolero driver, there was a cut in the divider there and so I guess he wasn't doing anything wrong by making a U-turn at that place. But yes, in general, I agree with what you said.
Candy$Cars is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 22:57   #31623
Team-BHP Support

People don't think twice before doing that to heavy vehicles with enormous blind spots either. Cue shouting match when the inevitable nudge occurs (mob violence if something worse).
Old 26th September 2020, 21:59   #31624
Senior - BHPian

LPG tanker topples on NH 66 in Uttara Kannada, no damage reported

Quote:
An LPG tanker toppled on National Highway 66 in Kumta of Uttara Kannada district on Saturday morning. The Bharat Gas tanker was travelling from Mangalore Refinery and Petrochemicals Limited (MRPL) in Mangaluru to a plant in Belagavi, police officials said. The tanker toppled near Handigona in Kumta taluk of Uttara Kannada district.

"On the way, around 10 am this morning, the vehicle skidded and toppled. There was a leak and the valve with pressure gauge was damaged," Parameshwara Gunuga, police inspector at Kumta Police Station said.

Traffic on the highway was diverted and people living in houses close to where the tanker toppled were shifted temporarily. "There was a traffic jam and we decided to divert traffic to avoid the road where the tanker toppled. The people residing in houses near the area have been shifted and electricity was cut off," the inspector said.

Police officials advised local residents to not light any fires until fire department officials gave them the go-ahead.

"The Bharat Gas safety team was dispatched from Ankola to plug the leak," he added. Police officials said that after an incident that occurred in Bargi, Uttara Kannada in 2015, locals were wary of the tanker catching fire.
Old 26th September 2020, 22:31   #31625
BHPian

An over speeding Toyota Fortuner crashed into a divider near NTR Marg, Hussain Sagar, Hyderabad. All 4 occupants are out of danger with minor injuries.

5 people dead, 7 injured in a head on collision of Force Toofan and Goods Trailer Lorry in Ujjain

WhiteSierra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 15:44   #31626

Firstly, I am a new member here and I would like to thank the mods for allowing me in!

Now coming to what I have to say, I often find these SUV owners speeding like crazy on the highways. I mean, even I know that since SUVs have high GC they tend to be less stable at triple digit speeds. I wonder how these people get the confidence over speed, especially considering the fact that on Indian highways anything can cross the road at anytime.

Thank you all for reading this!
Ravi2k3 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 11:49   #31627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi2k3 View Post
Firstly, I am a new member here and I would like to thank the mods for allowing me in!
Now coming to what I have to say...
You could have done your first post on an "auspicious" thread rather than here .
Welcome!

Quote:

Karnataka: Seven of a family killed in an accident on the outskirts of kalaburagi:

Read more at:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...campaign=cppst
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/78347005.cms
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-jpg.png

Brutal hit, even the truck was knocked down out of the road. Per news, the car was in a hurry to take a pregnant lady for delivery.

Sad!
balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 13:17   #31628
Senior - BHPian

Another accident involving vehicle of UP Police

Gangster killed as Lucknow police car bringing him back from Mumbai overturns

Quote:
A wanted gangster died after a car belonging to a Lucknow police team overturned in Madhya Pradesh on Sunday. The team was bringing the criminal back to Lucknow after arresting him in Mumbai.
Jagdish Prasad Pandey told the police officers that a cow had suddenly appeared on the road and to save it, they swerved. As a result, the driver lost control and the car overturned. However, some people on the spot said that the driver was napping when the accident took place.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 13:10   #31629
BHPian

I was driving from Goa to Mumbai last weekend and I encountered this moron in Honda Amaze. In the video you can clearly see how his ego got hurt when I overtook him. He had to slow down due to the potholes on the Mumbai-Goa NH66 highway and that's when I overtook him as Thar does not have to be slowed down as much as a delicate sedan such as Amaze.

He came out of no where and when I least expected that anyone would overtake me on a narrow road with oncoming heavy traffic. I braked really hard to save him from getting fish tailed due to the push of Thar on left rear end of Amaze and going right under the oncoming bus.

The cabbie and the biker both looked at me in shock and the biker even offered to chase and stop the idiot. But I just waved at him and told him to let him go. I usually like to avoid confrontations.

A lesson why you have to be always on a high alert.

Here's the link.

TaurusAl is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 14:06   #31630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
He came out of no where and when I least expected that anyone would overtake me on a narrow road with oncoming heavy traffic. I braked really hard to save him from getting fish tailed due to the push of Thar on left rear end of Amaze and going right under the oncoming bus.

The cabbie and the biker both looked at me in shock and the biker even offered to chase and stop the idiot. But I just waved at him and told him to let him go. I usually like to avoid confrontations.
Holy Moly! You have literally saved the Amaze guy from the clutches of death. What an utter MORON he is. I would be really happy if he has realized his mistake by now (Highly unlikely).

And to you sir, for remaining calm after this incident, I will definitely give you the Nobel Peace Prize .
Sudarshan_N is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 14:41   #31631
Senior - BHPian

That white swift parked with it's two right foot on the road is also to blame here. Was there any damage to your Thar? (minor I suppose)
Old 29th September 2020, 16:43   #31632
BHPian

Quote:
I was driving from Goa to Mumbai last weekend and I encountered this moron in Honda Amaze.
Either due to the failure in first attempt to overtake you at 0:54 Secs triggered the ego in him or over speeding and not able to brake in time made him to overtake you at a wrong place. In either case, he is a complete MORON.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 17:01   #31633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was driving from Goa...
Enough said, I did not read beyond the 'from goa' part. He did not stop because he may have never realized what happened.

svsantosh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 17:35   #31634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan_N View Post
Holy Moly! You have literally saved the Amaze guy from the clutches of death. What an utter MORON he is. I would be really happy if he has realized his mistake by now (Highly unlikely).

And to you sir, for remaining calm after this incident, I will definitely give you the Nobel Peace Prize .
Thank You Brother. I belive our existence on road is a team work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
That white swift parked with it's two right foot on the road is also to blame here. Was there any damage to your Thar? (minor I suppose)
Yes, Thats the reason i couldnt go to my left, but even then I had very less time to react. No damage to Thar, the tires took the hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Either due to the failure in first attempt to overtake you at 0:54 Secs triggered the ego in him or over speeding and not able to brake in time made him to overtake you at a wrong place. In either case, he is a complete MORON.
Yes, The ego is totally at play here. What amazes me he chased me for good 5 Kms or so to take a 'revenge'

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Enough said, I did not read beyond the 'from goa' part. He did not stop because he may have never realized what happened.

He very well did, If you see he is trying to run away after the incident. And belive me that Amaze shook like anything with Thar's bang. I would be scared and shaken if I was in that car. You can also see a dent on the left tire fender.
TaurusAl is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 18:05   #31635
BHPian

I am not sure what he was thinking!. If he was thinking at all!. He became so desperate that he was on a head on collision course with that truck .

I don't think you overtook him rashly or too closely. You just overtook him because he slowed down on that bad stretch. Not sure why that agitated him so much.

As they say all kinds of shapes and sizes are on the roads.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed