Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2020, 15:56   #31681
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
https://Youtu.be/s4CHUjtRTHo

A lot of accidents in India happen at junctions.. .
A clear case of lack of patience, if only at 0.10 the biker had stopped for 2 seconds, I repeat 2 seconds, this accident could have been avoided. What does he gain in reaching the desired location 2 seconds early

In India traffic discipline should be thought in schools because, sadly here there are many literates who are illiterate in this area. God save this country
vvivek85 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 17:02   #31682
Distinguished - BHPian

A minor accident from this morning, thankfully not involving any humans getting injured, but unfortunately taking away the life of a goat.

It was a state highway, with very smooth roads (Trichy to Salem). I was driving and I saw goats on both sides of the road. When I was a kid, my dad used to tell me this "If there are goats on the side of the roads, drive like they are going to jump into your path, because they most probably will".

Just as I was thinking about it, the goat from the right side of the road started running into the road, and the Tata Sumo driver had no other option but to hit it. He panicked and slammed the brakes, screeching and locking the rear wheels totally (you can notice in the slow motion in the later stage of the video). He actually turned a little right onto my lane and I swerved a little left to avoid mishap, taking into account that there were goats on the left side of the road too.

Thankfully there weren't any cars in the back of my car, else he would have collided with them, atleast side swiped them.

Look at the angle at which the car is when the rear wheels are locked up, that was the direction the sumo continued to move, albeit in a decelerated fashion.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_202010071631362.png
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 19:09   #31683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Just drove through the tunnel today, and now they have deployed a Police Van even halfway inside the tunnel to see to it that people move in line and don't overtake or drive rashly.

P.S. - Loved driving through the tunnel. Video coming up online on my channel soon.
AdityaDeane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 19:13   #31684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
A minor accident from this morning, thankfully not involving any humans getting injured, but unfortunately taking away the life of a goat.

Feel sad for the goat. Why do they get cows and goats on the highways in first place?

For grazing grass, they should walk them in their fields.

I often see many dead stray dogs on highways too, I feel bad and it takes some time for me to overcome from that situation or think about something else while driving. I slow down whenever there are animals on roads but dogs and goats crossing the road suddenly from shoulder cannot be anticipated. Defensive driving is always better, but no matter how safely we drive, there will be dead animals on roads we travel and it is always a disturbing sight to see.

Last edited by WhiteSierra : 7th October 2020 at 19:17.
WhiteSierra is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 21:33   #31685
BHPian

Please convey my deepest condolences to the families. It was very disturbing to read about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
My brother in law (wife's cousin brother) & his colleague, expired in this accident, today morning.

Last edited by setuniket : 7th October 2020 at 21:34.
setuniket is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 00:19   #31686
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
My brother in law (wife's cousin brother) & his colleague, expired in this accident, today morning.
Missed this until now. Very sorry.
Old 8th October 2020, 12:55   #31687
BHPian

Brand new thar's accident, looks like it is during test drive.
I'm sharing it here so that i can hear expert opinions, as i dont understand hindi i couldnt get much out of this video.

ramki.grandhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 13:14   #31688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
..as i dont understand hindi i couldnt get much out of this video.
He is saying the test drive vehicle lost control, collided with tractor trolley and fell into the ditch.

First I was surprised to see airbags deployed but it seems to be a major shunt as the driver side suspension has collapsed.
self_driven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 17:34   #31689
BHPian

Women dies in Bangalore after starting the car in reverse gear and getting stuck between car and tree.
https://www.news18.com/news/auto/wom...r-2943425.html
JediKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 17:52   #31690
Senior - BHPian

She started the car without getting inside?
Old 8th October 2020, 18:15   #31691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
yeah, even i was not able to visualize how exactly this accident must have happened? I read the article twice, but still I am unable to understand!
Old 8th October 2020, 18:19   #31692
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Women dies in Bangalore after starting the car in reverse gear and getting stuck between car and tree.
What a freak accident that is!! It seems to me that the lady started the car with the door open, sitting sideways with her legs outside the car. The car was in reverse and jerked backwards, swinging the door backwards, trapping her legs and then dragging her body in between the car and the tree.

I get a feeling she didn't have a driving license and not familiar with gear, clutch etc... She was probably just given the chore of starting the car to keep the batteries charged and then turning off after some time. Probably her husband would leave the car in neutral to allow her to do this, but this time must have left it in reverse by mistake.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 8th October 2020 at 18:25.
Santoshbhat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 18:28   #31693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
News article says that the family used to start the car once in a while to keep the battery charged and a stone was kept near the tyre to prevent the car from rolling away.

That lady must have started the car standing next to it with the driver door open. The car itself was parked in a way that the rear right door is very close to the tree (picture in news article). When cranked, the car jumped backwards and she got trapped between the driver door and tree. Very bizarre accident and equally unfortunate.

Last edited by self_driven : 8th October 2020 at 18:31.
Old 8th October 2020, 19:10   #31694
BHPian

Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post

Looks like she was standing outside with the door open when she turned on the ignition - driver door slightly ahead of the tree. The car leaps backwards, the door moves beyond its range, pushes and squeezes her against the tree.

Very freak. Very unfortunate.

I do this sometimes - stand outside and start; when I have to connect the tyre inflator and check the tyre pressures. But I never leave my car in gear, unless on an incline (rarely).
Old 8th October 2020, 19:22   #31695
Senior - BHPian

CCTV footage in the below video: (Heck, we have this damn camera's everywhere)

Utter negligence by the primary owner of this car or whoever sent her down to do this chore. And what a terrible way a life ended.

And why would someone park in reverse gear when it is easier to engage in 1st or 2nd. Parked in the wrong direction too, I guess.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 8th October 2020 at 19:29.
balenoed_ is offline   (18) Thanks

Most Viewed