Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2020, 19:33   #31696
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Heartbreaking to read that they had adopted a young kid recently. Can't imagine the bad luck that kid must be feeling.
Avinash_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 20:49   #31697
BHPian

Hyderabad: Engineering student dies after hair gets tangled in go-kart

A B-Tech student Varshini died after her hair got tangled in a go-kart. She has sustained severe head injuries that led to her death. The parents of Varshini, in a complaint to Hyderabad police, have alleged negligence on the part of organizers of the go-kart zone in Gurram Guda under the limits of Meerpet police station in Hyderabad.

One of the go-kart zone staff members has clarified that they have taken all the precautionary measures apart from providing the helmet. He claimed that the girl removed her helmet at one point to take a selfie and her hair got opened due to air and got tangled in the tyre.

WhiteSierra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 21:16   #31698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
CCTV footage in the below video: (Heck, we have this damn camera's everywhere

And why would someone park in reverse gear when it is easier to engage in 1st or 2nd. Parked in the wrong direction too, I guess.
That is a terrible accident .

Yes, my guess is also the same as most others.
Given the task of just cranking the engine and running it for a few minutes has been assigned to her, by the looks of it. Does not look like she knew anything else. Might have been demoed to her once or twice by someone and she was on her own this time.

This is why it is so important to have the mandatory mechanism of starting the car only with the clutch pressed. Or will it lunge forward or backward even without the engine starting and clutch not pressed?

Last edited by Nalin1 : 8th October 2020 at 21:18. Reason: Point added
Nalin1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 21:59   #31699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
He claimed that the girl removed her helmet at one point to take a selfie and her hair got opened due to air..
At first I was wondering how would one attempt a selfie while driving the cart (if we have to believe that was indeed the case). Then realized it is a 2 seater. Never saw a 2 seater go kart. What does the other person do? Just a passenger?

RIP! What all freak accidents do we see!!
balenoed_ is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 22:07   #31700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And why would someone park in reverse gear when it is easier to engage in 1st or 2nd.
Extremely tragic. RIP the departed soul.

Not sure if handbrake was properly engaged, I think handbrake would have slowed down the car.

I always park with both handbrake and gear, will need to be extra careful.

Edit: Got the answer on handbrake from the news:
Quote:
The neighbours always noticed that the car owner would not apply the hand brake and there would be a sizeable stone kept near the tyre to prevent the vehicle’s movement.

Last edited by airbus : 8th October 2020 at 22:15.
airbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 22:16   #31701
BHPian

Quote:
At first I was wondering how would one attempt a selfie while driving the cart (if we have to believe that was indeed the case). Then realized it is a 2 seater. Never saw a 2 seater go kart. What does the other person do? Just a passenger?

RIP! What all freak accidents do we see!!
Exactly, that's what I thought in the beginning! I too never saw a 2 seater go kart. 2 seaters are usually in bumping cars. The design of these gokarts itself is weird. They should provide plastic enclosures to that axle rod atleast from a safety perspective.

As the person incharge said, she might have removed her helmet and due to the car speed and air in opposite direction might have made her hair get struck in the wheel.
WhiteSierra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 22:34   #31702
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerastrax View Post
I do this sometimes - stand outside and start; when I have to connect the tyre inflator and check the tyre pressures. But I never leave my car in gear, unless on an incline (rarely).
Me too. But I just cannot turn the key without waggling the gear lever (checking in neutral). Even when I have my foot on the clutch! Which I always do when starting normally.

It's something I really am manic about.

If I park the car in gear, I'll choose the gear opposite to the direction I really don't want the car to go if I make the mistake. But also, Reverse is a lower gear ratio than any forward gear, so, technically, the best to choose for holding the car.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 22:55   #31703
BHPian

A Fatal Accident involving my friend's long time neighbours -

Stating facts as per the knowledge of my friend -

They were travelling from Haridwar to Jodhpur. The accident took place somewhere on the Jaipur-Jodhpur highway, exact whereabouts are unknown to me. They were a group of 12 people travelling in 2 Scorpios. The one in front met with an unfortunate accident while performing a high speed overtake. It slightly brushed past another vehicle on its left side (passenger), then so as to counter the imbalance that mini-accident caused to the Scorpio, he swerved the car which eventually banged straight into a stationary truck carrying tractors.

The man driving the car walked out with considerable amount of injuries on his hands but nothing that would threaten his life. Thanks to the Airbags and seatbelts. But, unfortunately on the passenger side, seated was his wife who couldn't take that impact despite the deployment of airbags. She left for the heavenly abode right on the spot. Her 10 year old kid is in ICU and struggling for his life. The people sitting at the back-right-hand-side walked away with some injuries. But, on the back-left-hand-side, 2 more of their young family members are undergoing treatement in ICU for their grave injuries. Quite tragic and incomprehensible.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20201008-13.47.26.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20201008-13.47.26-1.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20201008-13.47.27-1.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20201008-13.47.27-2.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20201008-13.47.28-1.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20201008-13.47.28.jpeg

PS:
Please wear seatbelts. I hope atleast, we (TBHPians) always stick to this rule no matter on what seat we are seated on. Doesn't matter how long the distance you are going, SEATBELTS FIRST, IGNITION SECOND! I've been a survivior and know the magic the seatbelts do!, but, I don't want anyone of you to experience that!

~NA
na_agrawal is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 22:57   #31704
Distinguished - BHPian

But doesn't a manual car simply jerk forward or backwards (based on whether it was left forward gear or reverse gear), and then engine shuts down? This car, from the CCTV footage, seems to have run a fair distance in the reverse direction. The footage and the accident just remind me of that Hollywood movie about freak ways of dying called "Final Destination".

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th October 2020 at 14:47. Reason: fare > fair
drmohitg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 22:59   #31705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Reverse is a lower gear ratio than any forward gear, so, technically, the best to choose for holding the car.
First and Reverse have more or less same ratios. (And isn't it 'Higher').

Quote:
The neighbors always noticed that the car owner would not apply the hand brake and there would be a sizeable stone kept near the tyre to prevent the vehicle’s movement.
This statement in the report does not make any sense. Either a illogical observation by the neighbors, or a poor reporting or may be the driver knew nothing about cars. Sad that a poor soul paid the price.
Old 9th October 2020, 00:41   #31706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post

This is why it is so important to have the mandatory mechanism of starting the car only with the clutch pressed.
Some cars already have this. My tata vista (2012 model) will not start unless the clutch is fully pressed. Initially I found it weird and even raised a complaint... now I think this is a good thing and I carry forward this habit in other cars (Manual transmission ) also.. I don't know whether it will jump like this or not for an AT vehicle.

Last edited by haria : 9th October 2020 at 00:58.
haria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 07:53   #31707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
But doesn't a manual car simply jerk forward or backwards...
I simply tried this today. The car doesn't even start when in reverse gear. It rolls back just by few inches but the engine doesn't really crank fully and start. Not sure how it happened in this accident. Any Honda City guys want to check it out?
balenoed_ is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 08:37   #31708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Some cars already have this. My tata vista (2012 model) will not start unless the clutch is fully pressed. Initially I found it weird and even raised a complaint... now I think this is a good thing and I carry forward this habit in other cars (Manual transmission ) also.. I don't know whether it will jump like this or not for an AT vehicle.

When I bought my Skoda Yeti in 2012 and realised that I have to depress the clutch every time I want to start the car, I found it annoying and unnecessary, however I then understood why it was important and today I have a very strong appreciation for these little features which can be lifesavers. My current car, a 2018 VW Tiguan, needs the brake to be depressed for starting, despite being an automatic. I believe these safety features should be made mandatory for all cars.
shaktisarangi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 08:41   #31709
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post

Edit: Got the answer on handbrake from the news:
From the new article, "According to a few neighbours, Nandini was not in favour of the tree and wanted to have it removed. "May be because the tree blocked the view or made the house dark, she was trying to see how the tree could be removed. It’s such a coincidence that the cause of her death was primarily this tree."

Yeah sure, blame the tree.
kiku007 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 08:51   #31710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
But doesn't a manual car simply jerk forward or backwards (based on whether it was left forward gear or reverse gear), and then engine shuts down?
Reminds me of my uncle's brand new Maruti 800 on the second week of ownership. He was washing the car, left the key in the slot, with the drivers door open and his two year old son standing outside decides to turn the key. The car was in reverse gear and it got started and moved back. Luckily for my nephew, there was a water tap on GI pipe where the door struck and it turned almost 180 degree. The car raced backwards and hit the garage pillar and stopped. It was a miracle escape for my nephew.

May be it was because of the brand new battery and the car was empty, but it starts.

In the Bangalore incident, the irony is that the starting was done to charge the battery (lockdown exercise) and the battery already had a killer charge!

Last edited by bejoy : 9th October 2020 at 09:05.
bejoy is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks