Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2020, 09:14   #31711
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
This is why it is so important to have the mandatory mechanism of starting the car only with the clutch pressed.
Agree emphatically. Used to irritate me initially with my earlier cars (Getz, Cruze, Creta) but it certainly removes this risk. In my AT cars (Octavia, 330i) the brake fulfills the same purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Me too. But I just cannot turn the key without waggling the gear lever (checking in neutral). Even when I have my foot on the clutch! Which I always do when starting normally.
Totally with you here - old habits die hard, especially as I drove Ambassadors for the first 4 years of my life when it was impossible to ensure that the steering column-mounted gear was in neutral unless you got in and did a firm handshake with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by na_agrawal View Post
Please wear seatbelts. SEATBELTS FIRST, IGNITION SECOND!
Agree again! Additionally, the Scorpio body strength has always been rubbish. I've alsways admired the sheer torque of that engine starting from the ancient first version but have seen too many brutal accidents in my days diving on MH highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
The car doesn't even start when in reverse gear. It rolls back just by few inches but the engine doesn't really crank fully and start.
If I remember correctly, the Honda Jazz & Amaze will not start unless you press the clutch pedal. Why not the City?
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 10:06   #31712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
yeah, even i was not able to visualize how exactly this accident must have happened? I read the article twice, but still I am unable to understand!
The lady must have kept one leg far inside the car on the clutch and pressed the self start button. Given that the gear was engaged in reverse(thanks to the idiot who parked it thus) the car must have lunged backward and possibly over the small stopper stone. That would explain why the girl had no time to extricate her leg out and was squashed between the car and tree. Even on an incline it is ridiculous to park the car in reverse. Rather a 45 degree turn of the steering is advisable to keep the car hit a kerb instead of tumbling down the road. Avoidable loss of life
venbas is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 10:15   #31713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post
A clear case of lack of patience, if only at 0.10 the biker had stopped for 2 seconds, I repeat 2 seconds, this accident could have been avoided. What does he gain in reaching the desired location 2 seconds early
The biker waltzes through the intersection to the opposite lane as if taking a stroll in the park...fully deserves his fate. Feel sad for the Alto car as he had nearly no time to react to the stupid biker and has to live with guilt now.
venbas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 11:01   #31714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venbas View Post
The lady must have kept one leg far inside the car on the clutch and pressed the self start button. Given that the gear was engaged in reverse(thanks to the idiot who parked it thus) the car must have lunged backward and possibly over the small stopper stone.
This is exactly what I could think of being the reason.

In the CCTV footage looks like the leady reached onto the clutch pedal with one leg while still standing outside. Once she started the car, decided to step out but the clutch pedal release activated the already engaged reverse gear and car did what it is supposed to do in that case.

What a tragic way to depart. May her soul attain peace.
amods is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 11:11   #31715
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amods View Post
+1

So clutch depressing while starting isn't a very good safety measure! Instead, I think its a problem. You don't seem to remember to make sure to check for gear before starting, because you'll always press the clutch! And then gear doesn't matter. Even the jerk on trying to start the car in a gear is better as a safety measure!

Instead, like the automatics, any car shouldn't start when in a gear, no matter what you press.
SLK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 11:21   #31716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
It’s such a coincidence that the cause of her death was primarily this tree."

Yeah sure, blame the tree.
I am sure they have put in that line only for better TRP.. Media is known to sensationalize all news. There will be tons of analysis , description, debates about this and they can garner few more views! Welcome to the new age media!
haria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 11:37   #31717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....why would someone park in reverse gear when it is easier to engage in 1st or 2nd. ....
With the COVID around and most cars being unused for long periods, it has become a common practice to disengage the handbrake and keep cars parked in gear.
Generally cars parked on a incline is parked in 1st gear. On a slope its recommended to engage reverse, both cases in addition to the handbrake.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 11:42   #31718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
With the COVID around and most cars being unused for long periods, it has become a common practice to disengage the handbrake and keep cars parked in gear.
Generally cars parked on a incline is parked in 1st gear. On a slope its recommended to engage reverse, both cases in addition to the handbrake.
Even on slopes it is good practice to engage the Parking brake and tilt the steering at 45degrees first. Modern cars have excellent bite with Parking mode/brakes. Engaging gear that too reverse is atrocious

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
I am sure they have put in that line only for better TRP.. Media is known to sensationalize all news. There will be tons of analysis , description, debates about this and they can garner few more views! Welcome to the new age media!
Agree. The poor tree seems to one of the good old Avenue trees that are becoming critically endangered species in our cities. There is no way anyone with a proper brain and heart would want to do away with it.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th October 2020 at 14:38. Reason: Merged back to back posts.
venbas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 11:49   #31719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Engaging gear that too reverse is atrocious
These are age-old rules and hold good even now.
Its a standard practice to engage reverse gear when you're facing a steep downhill slope in addition to the parking brake and with the steering wheel tilted toward the kerb if you want to be extra careful.

You'll find lots of online references. Of course this will not apply to automatics.
https://www.passmefast.co.uk/gears-when-parked

Last edited by for_cars1 : 9th October 2020 at 11:50.
Old 9th October 2020, 11:57   #31720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by na_agrawal View Post
It slightly brushed past another vehicle on its left side (passenger), then so as to counter the imbalance that mini-accident caused to the Scorpio, he swerved the car which eventually banged straight into a stationary truck carrying tractors.
Sorry to hear this and may the departed soul R.I.P. From the limited view of the truck from the picture, it seems like the under run bars which is supposed to be on the rear end seems to be missing on the truck. The impact wouldn't have reached the passenger cabin had it been there.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 11:57   #31721
BHPian

Quote:
The lady must have kept one leg far inside the car on the clutch and pressed the self start button. Given that the gear was engaged in reverse(thanks to the idiot who parked it thus) the car must have lunged backward and possibly over the small stopper stone. That would explain why the girl had no time to extricate her leg out and was squashed between the car and tree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amods View Post

In the CCTV footage looks like the leady reached onto the clutch pedal with one leg while still standing outside. Once she started the car, decided to step out but the clutch pedal release activated the already engaged reverse gear and car did what it is supposed to do in that case.

What a tragic way to depart. May her soul attain peace.
Very good points!. If that has indeed what has happened, that makes it an even more of a freakish accident!. Starting the car with the clutch pressed from outside .

This stunt would not have cost her life at least if the handbrake was engaged.
Or maybe it was, but the car still jumped backwards. Who knows!.

We have thought of all the possibilities!.
Old 9th October 2020, 12:02   #31722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Utter negligence by the primary owner of this car or whoever sent her down to do this chore. And what a terrible way a life ended.
And why would someone park in reverse gear when it is easier to engage in 1st or 2nd. Parked in the wrong direction too, I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
You don't seem to remember to make sure to check for gear before starting, because you'll always press the clutch! And then gear doesn't matter. Even the jerk on trying to start the car in a gear is better as a safety measure!
Reminds me of an incident. A farm owner who earlier resided just behind my home lost his youngest son. The guy, around 28 year old back then, could not get his tractor started. He asked a JCB backhoe loader driver that was nearby to push his tractor trolley with Backhoe loader to start tractor. All while the guy was down on road and not on tractor. Tractor was pushed by Backhoe loader and the guy tried to get on tractor. The guy's leg slipped somehow, he had a fall on road, rear tyre of his tractor moved across his stomach. This was barely meters from the his home, and his parents plus family members rushed to him. Screaming in pain he said he didnt want to die, but he eventually died in hospital. Never ever start any motor vehicle while not being properly seated. Moreover, never be half embarked in any vehicle. I have ended up in scary situation while doing so just to avoid starting my car while bringing car down a ramp for washing.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 9th October 2020 at 12:05.
aaggoswami is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 14:25   #31723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Agree emphatically. Used to irritate me initially with my earlier cars (Getz, Cruze, Creta) but it certainly removes this risk. In my AT cars (Octavia, 330i) the brake fulfills the same purpose.

If I remember correctly, the Honda Jazz & Amaze will not start unless you press the clutch pedal. Why not the City?
I am not aware of the Jazz and Amaze but the City can start without clutch being depressed and this is true for the 4th Gen as well. If Honda has implemented this feature in Jazz and Amaze then all the more reason that they should add it to the City.
Old 9th October 2020, 14:30   #31724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
From the new article, "According to a few neighbours, Nandini was not in favour of the tree and wanted to have it removed. "May be because the tree blocked the view or made the house dark, she was trying to see how the tree could be removed. It’s such a coincidence that the cause of her death was primarily this tree."

Yeah sure, blame the tree.
Blatant lies spread by media, she is my neighbor. It's just a freak accident and we all are still in shock.
mjumrani is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 14:46   #31725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And why would someone park in reverse gear when it is easier to engage in 1st or 2nd. Parked in the wrong direction too, I guess.
Parking in gear is for extra safety while parking on an incline and this along with hand-brake. If you facing up-hill, park in reverse gear, and in the case facing down-hill, park in forward gear. As an added safety, you can turn the wheels towards the curb. But these additional safety practices are not required on a relatively flat surface like in this case. Hand brake is good enough.

One critical safety practice was overlooked here - always crank when the gear is in neutral. If somebody is not aware of this, they should not handle this activity.
No amount of safety baits like pressing the clutch, lifting a ring, pressing a button, and then cranking will overcome this.

A very unfortunate incident.

Last edited by msdivy : 9th October 2020 at 14:47.
msdivy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed