Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2020, 15:53   #31846
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
A car turning into a narrow downhill road in Kerala almost falls off the edge of the hill.
The driver made quite a few errors in making this turn.
More like he (tried to) climbed up the side of the hill and as a result almost turned turtle

Seems like an amateur driver or one that was not completely paying attention to the road!
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 18:43   #31847
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanerjee View Post
Happened day before yesterday in Meghma, on the way to Sandakphu, Darjeeling. No casualties per facebook reports.

https://fb.watch/1Hnr9MQCnU/
I got the video as a forward from a guy in Darjeeling, it was shocking. Heard that one person is seriously injured. I can't imagine how this could have happened. Asked for more details, but not getting any update. The guys out there are terrific drivers and drive on that road day in and day out. Another question is how that cement block got crushed so easily?
Old 11th November 2020, 19:43   #31848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A car turning into a narrow downhill road in Kerala almost falls off the edge of the hill.
The driver probably got distracted by the jeep that came from the opposite direction in the turn.

I have to admit I have been guilty of the same when I was learning driving. I had to make a right turn to join a road. I was asked to keep to the lane right next to the divider after making the turn as there was a bus on the adjacent lane. Being a learner in a Maruti 800, I got scared/distracted by the bus and basically forgot steering correction after the turn and bumped into the divider. My instructor tried to intervene at the last moment, but it was too late. Thankfully, I was going slow, but it still did some damage to the tire and my confidence.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 20:36   #31849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I got the video as a forward from a guy in Darjeeling, it was shocking. Heard that one person is seriously injured. I can't imagine how this could have happened. Asked for more details, but not getting any update. The guys out there are terrific drivers and drive on that road day in and day out. Another question is how that cement block got crushed so easily?
Same thing baffles me, it looked like he was being pulled down, and how the jeep steered like that is the question.
Old 11th November 2020, 20:52   #31850
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
As per the below news link, all are safe.

https://www.eastmojo.com/national/20...ught-on-camera
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 21:07   #31851
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I have to admit I have been guilty of the same when I was learning driving...
I have a feeling that it might have been my Mum, rather than my dad, who actually said the words on this one: "Whatever happens, don't forget to steer." It's a small thing, but the consequences can be disastrous.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 21:35   #31852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I have a feeling that it might have been my Mum, rather than my dad, who actually said the words on this one: "Whatever happens, don't forget to steer." It's a small thing, but the consequences can be disastrous.
My instructor, when he realized what was happening, shouted at me something like, "Where are you going? Steer away". But I was so fixated on the bus passing by that I steered further away from the bus and into the divider The instructor did try to reach out and steer the car himself just before the crash and it might have helped a bit.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 00:56   #31853
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
The instructor did try to reach out and steer the car himself just before the crash and it might have helped a bit.
Instructors should be faster than that. After passing my British driving test, I took a Motorway lesson (Learners are not allowed on British motorways). I was not used to how the steering responded at those speeds, and my instructor's arm came like a flash to make a tiny but vital correction.
Old 13th November 2020, 19:50   #31854
BHPian

Hyderabad: Drunken driving by Mercedes Benz GLC coupe owner claims life of secunderabad club manager in Madhapur

Old 13th November 2020, 22:07   #31855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Hyderabad: Drunken driving by Mercedes Benz GLC coupe owner claims life of secunderabad club manager in Madhapur

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=PvftjJgpc9M
Is it just me or does the two wheeler also seem at fault? It doesn't slow down for the intersection and seems to be driving a bit carelessly. The Merc seems slow in the video. The driver being drunk definitely impaired his judgement and ability to react, he also seemed to be in the wrong lane, but still, doesn't seem entirely at fault. Somebody please correct me if I'm missing something.
RoadMonkey is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 22:37   #31856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
Is it just me or does the two wheeler also seem at fault? It doesn't slow down for the intersection and seems to be driving a bit carelessly. The Merc seems slow in the video. The driver being drunk definitely impaired his judgement and ability to react, he also seemed to be in the wrong lane, but still, doesn't seem entirely at fault. Somebody please correct me if I'm missing something.

I'm just assuming a possible scenario based on the cctv footage, here the concrete mixer truck and a bike were waiting at a red signal, the opposite lane where the Mercedes is coming from might also have had a red signal, where as the parallel lane in which the bike is travelling might have had a green signal (in this case it is pretty obvious as the bike is in motion where as the concrete mixer truck is stationary), which means the signal is red for both concrete mixer truck lane and the on-coming lane in which the Mercedes is travelling on. Mercedes driver is dunk and might have also jumped the signal, although he is little slow according to Mercedes Benz AMG standards, but because of DUI and signal jumping, the case against Mercedes driver would be strong, the footage of Mercedes was from Police station after the vehicle was seized. The biker should have slowed down during intersections or while crossing 4 lane roads, but it was his bad luck, he is no more now and his wife is in critical situation. As usual, these influential people will wash off their hands by setting up some person to get arrested instead of main culprit, same happened with the Ferrari GTC4 Lusso accident in Hyderabad couple of weeks back.
Old 13th November 2020, 23:09   #31857
BHPian

Quote:
At first, I felt that the driver was caught off-guard when the steering did not self-return, but I think it's a mistake made by a novice, he kept hold of the steering and accelerated.

I need to keep switching between my family's Ecosport and Alto, Sometimes when I switch to Alto after a somewhat longer interval, I do get caught off-guard for a moment or two when the steering doesn't auto-return the way it does in Ecosport.
And that moment or two here on a steep hill can also cause these kinds of accidents.
HR 16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 00:42   #31858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
Yes, seems to be the case to me as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Mercedes driver is dunk and might have also jumped the signal, although he is little slow according to Mercedes Benz AMG standards, but because of DUI and signal jumping, the case against Mercedes driver would be strong, the footage of Mercedes was from Police station after the vehicle was seized.
But how do we know the Merc is jumping the signal? That's only an assumption.

On the contrary, from the CCTV footage, at the very edge/common, you can see a green light facing towards the cement mixer. It should be the green light for pedestrians (because had it been green for traffic, the mixer and the bike along it would be moving). If the pedestrians' light is green in that direction, the traffic light perpendicular to that (i.e. from where the victim-biker came) could not be green. Quite probable then, that the victim was jumping the signal.

This is all speculation of course. The quality of the video is quite bad too. I wonder why they record it from a CCTV monitor using a camera, rather than taking the raw footage itself. Technologically handicapped journalists!
N.A.GTC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 01:55   #31859
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR 16 View Post
At first, I felt that the driver was caught off-guard when the steering did not self-return...
Self-return?

Steer does not mean let the wheel slip through one's fingers.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 12:29   #31860
BHPian

Kia Seltos Crashes Out Of Dealership - Nosedives On The Road.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rus...-12383342.html

A bad week for KIA in India.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-kiaseltosdeliverycrash2.jpg  

Nexusios1521 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks