Team-BHP > Road Safety


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2021, 13:14   #32536
BHPian
 
SaiSW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Good Blue Earth
Posts: 632
Thanked: 1,423 Times
re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
And, finally, I got some pics, where, the Nexon had met with an accident, which resulted in passengers losing their lives, and, after seeing this brutal accident of the Nexon, I've realized that no 5 star rated car can save a person, who drives the car at high speed and the safety depends on driver's driving not on safety ratings.
Ok, so couple of points, first, while I agree with your statement about fanboyism and the cringeness associated with it, I will have to disagree with your statement about crash test rating being irrelevant at the event of a high speed accident. Common sense ( no offense ) would let you know that a better built car with a higher crash test rating would obviously fare better than a car with pathetic build quality.

Ofcourse if the driver is fully determined to practically prove Darwin's Law by himself, then only God can save him but my point is, there is a difference between a well built and not so well built car.

I've seen several instances online of the kind of difference a well built car ( like the tank Punto ) vs a not so well built car at triple digit speeds, can make to the owner, the difference is lying in critical condition with a chance of survival vs being buried 6 feet under the ground.

Second, you've called out Tata fanboys for being cringe, for praising the build quality of their vehicles ( mind that I also do find it a bit too much ) but you've done exactly the same in the initial post. So a bit contradictory, don't you think?

Last edited by SaiSW : 17th March 2021 at 13:30.
SaiSW is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 13:25   #32537
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 7,059
Thanked: 26,077 Times
re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
[h3]or curse the quality of the Hotel. But such a substantial building collapsing due to the impact of a truck, which doesn't even look loaded to the top (Like the ones which carry 30-40 tons of sand)
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident.jpg
Seems like the entire building was standing on pillars (with no walls between them?) and this truck ended up breaking one of these pillars thus resulting in the collapse of the building.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 13:26   #32538
BHPian
 
SaiSW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Good Blue Earth
Posts: 632
Thanked: 1,423 Times
re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Attachment 2133609
Seems like the entire building was standing on pillars and this truck ended up breaking one of these pillars thus resulting in the collapse of the building.
This is absolutely shocking to see. Ofcourse as you mentioned, the truck ended up breaking one of its spines but still a scary prospect. It should not break down like that.

Even more scary is the fact that there might be several more buildings like this that are constructed in the most shoddy way imaginable. We only react after the disaster has already happened, I cannot understand how this even got approved in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
I am more appalled at the quality of boundary wall pillar. It looks like it has been merely placed on top of the surface.
Same here. More than the creta, I was surprised how the wall fell down like a bunch of Dominos upon the impact. How can it be that weak. And to make everything better, he has even placed spikes on top of the wall, like a couple of guys cannot just simply knock it down if they wanted to.

Last edited by SaiSW : 17th March 2021 at 13:38.
SaiSW is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 13:39   #32539
BHPian
 
car_guy1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Unknown
Posts: 544
Thanked: 1,073 Times
re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Ok, so couple of points, first, while I agree with your statement about fanboyism and the cringeness associated with it, I will have to disagree with your statement about crash test rating being irrelevant at the event of a high speed accident. Common sense ( no offense ) would let you know that a better built car with a higher crash test rating would obviously fare better than a car with pathetic build quality.

Ofcourse if the driver is fully determined to practically prove Darwin's Law by himself, then only God can save him but my point is, there is a difference between a well built and not so well built car.

I've seen several instances online of the kind of difference a well built car ( like the tank Punto ) vs a not so well built car at triple digit speeds, can make to the owner, the difference is lying in a critical condition vs being buried 6 feet under the ground.
Yeah, I agree with you that Tata has come way forward in terms of safety and I appreciate them for taking that step as well.

And, yes, a better-built car with a higher crash rating can fare better than a not-so-well-built car any day but, the point is, if a car is prone to toppling in the first place, wouldn't that expose the passengers to the risk of internal injuries like whiplash, hemorrhages, concussions, etc. How is it safe then?

And, I saw that the GNCAP conducts the crash test only for the front, but, my question is, why don't they test rollover and roof strength in order to rate a car as 4 or 5 stars in GNCAP rating?

I hope you understand my point and coming to the discussion of fanboyism, well, I'm not a fanboy of any car brand, and neither I love Kia nor hate Tata. It's just my opinion.

Last edited by car_guy1998 : 17th March 2021 at 13:48.
car_guy1998 is offline  
Old 17th March 2021, 13:46   #32540
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 946
Thanked: 8,300 Times
re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Common sense ( no offense ) would let you know that a better built car with a higher crash test rating would obviously fare better than a car with pathetic build quality.
Well said, let me add a testimony to this statement

DZire ZDi and Rapid crash that happened in Gurgaon district of Haryana a few years back. 4 people lost their lives, all 4 were the occupants of the DZire, even after the airbags got deployed. So, a safer car is safer car, no matter with what logic you defend the unsafe one with, I agree that it will be hard for any owner to look at his purchase being termed as inferior, but, it is what it is!

Name:  Swift Rapid.JPG
Views: 4774
Size:  45.2 KB

This is what the news reads:

Quote:
The occupants of the Swift did not survive the accident.
Quote:
The occupants of the Skoda, all of them suffered serious injuries and were admitted to a local hospital.
Link to the news:
DZire Rapid Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
if a car is prone to toppling in the first place, wouldn't that expose the passengers to the risk of internal injuries like whiplash, hemorrhages, concussions, etc. How is it safe then?
Would like to sum up my opinion on this point in just one statement:

If I have to unknowingly enter a corner a bit too fast, I would want to be inside an Esteem instead of an Endeavour. At times, having a car that has the dynamic prowess of coming out safely, is safer than a safer car that gets into the crash. No wonder, I am a Skoda Yeti fan - a perfect balance of everything in a single package

Last edited by VKumar : 17th March 2021 at 13:52.
VKumar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 13:50   #32541
BHPian
 
SaiSW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Good Blue Earth
Posts: 632
Thanked: 1,423 Times
re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Yeah, I agree with you that Tata has come way forward in terms of safety and I appreciate them for taking that step as well.

But, yes, a better-built car with a higher crash rating can fare better than a not-so-well-built car any day but, the point is, if a car is prone to toppling in the first place, wouldn't that expose the passengers to the risk of internal injuries like whiplash, hemorrhages, concussions, etc. How is it safe then?

And, I saw that the GNCAP conducts the crash test only for the front, but, my question is, why don't they test rollover and roof strength in order to rate a car as 4 or 5 stars in GNCAP rating?

I hope you understand
How have you deduced that the car is inherently prone to toppling? Have you considered the possibility that with all the free publicity they get as a result of their crash test ( and patriotism element ??? ) there is also a possibility that reporting of all kinds of accidents ( whether it be head on collisions, sideways, rolling over etc etc ) get more highlighted online, compared to other brands, so much so that there is a skewing effect created? Marutis are slandered everywhere for their safety issues, so even though they are not the only cars in the market with average build quality, they get highlighted a lot more. Similarly, because of all the free publicity that the Nexon is getting, events like a roll over might be inadvertently highlighted more often even though there might be cars in the Indian market that have experienced such accidents several more times.

I have no problem with highlighting the faults of a car and honestly as you said, tata "ultras" are some of the cringiest people around but I have not really seen concrete evidence to prove that the car is more prone to toppling compared to the rest of the cars in its segment. As such, I'm completely open to any information you might have that contradicts my statements, I have no issues with learning new information.

Last edited by SaiSW : 17th March 2021 at 13:53.
SaiSW is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 13:56   #32542
BHPian
 
car_guy1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Unknown
Posts: 544
Thanked: 1,073 Times
re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

An MG Hector had met with an accident when a lorry was heading in the wrong direction. But, luckily the passengers are safe and had come out with no injuries and the good part was, travelers in this particular car had buckled their seat-belts.

Location: Ravulapalem, East Godavari, Andhra Pradesh
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-160818401_4036489956414952_2378081403762556621_n.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-160917415_4036489849748296_5647516207529318459_n.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-160961834_4036489856414962_1588524242668140793_n.jpg  


Last edited by car_guy1998 : 17th March 2021 at 14:11.
car_guy1998 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 14:01   #32543
BHPian
 
SaiSW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Good Blue Earth
Posts: 632
Thanked: 1,423 Times
re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
An MG Hector had met with an accident when a lorry was heading in the wrong direction. But, luckily the passengers are safe and came out with no injuries and the good part was, travelers in this particular car had buckled their seat-belts.

Location: Ravulapalem, East Godavari, Andhra Pradesh
Shocking to be honest. I've seen bikes and even those maruti panel vans ( eeco it's called? ) aplenty, coming in the wrong direction but a lorry is a rarity.

When will our law enforcement become competent enough to prevent criminals like this from further taking lives ( not in this case ). We slander our neighbours for several things but one thing they do have, from the information I have, is a proper highway law enforcement force, with its own separate marked vehicles, while we ( atleast in my state ) have millenia old rusty Qualis vans with "highway speed interceptor" written on the side. I don't know what they intend to "intercept", autorickshaws with broken taillights?

Last edited by SaiSW : 17th March 2021 at 14:04.
SaiSW is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 14:09   #32544
BHPian
 
car_guy1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Unknown
Posts: 544
Thanked: 1,073 Times
re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Shocking to be honest. I've seen bikes and even those maruti panel vans ( eeco it's called? ) aplenty, coming in the wrong direction but a lorry is a rarity.

When will our law enforcement become competent enough to prevent criminals like this from further taking lives ( not in this case ). We slander our neighbours for several things but one thing they do have, from the information I have, is a proper highway law enforcement force, with its own separate marked vehicles.
The first thing our Indian govt should do is to spread some awareness towards those people, who preferred to choose wrong direction over going in the right direction, by implementing a challan system and penalize them for coming through the wrong direction.

But, somehow, wearing seatbelts, including rear, played a major role in saving the passengers, who were traveling in the Hector.
car_guy1998 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 14:09   #32545
Senior - BHPian
 
TrackDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Magic land
Posts: 1,053
Thanked: 4,378 Times
re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post

Hotel collapses after lorry rams into it in Kalpetta



Don't know if I shall appreciate the build of the AL, or curse the quality of the Hotel. But such a substantial building collapsing due to the impact of a truck, which doesn't even look loaded to the top (Like the ones which carry 30-40 tons of sand) is really shocking. No wonder, the hotel's name is hotel windgate!
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Attachment 2133609
Seems like the entire building was standing on pillars (with no walls between them?) and this truck ended up breaking one of these pillars thus resulting in the collapse of the building.
This looks scary indeed ! Glad to know that the accident didn't result in any loss of life. The article says that the lorry hit a tempo traveler and some cars in a used car lot before the hotel while some electric posts were also damaged. Looks like the hotel is being demolished.

https://english.mathrubhumi.com/news...fety-1.5520352

Off Topic: In this situation who compensates for the loss incurred as well as demolition charges ? Is it borne by the Insurance of the Lorry ?

Last edited by TrackDay : 17th March 2021 at 14:15.
TrackDay is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 14:18   #32546
BHPian
 
SaiSW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Good Blue Earth
Posts: 632
Thanked: 1,423 Times
re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
The first thing our Indian govt should do is to spread some awareness towards those people, who preferred to choose wrong direction over going in the right direction, by implementing a challan system and penalize them for coming through the wrong direction.

But, somehow, wearing seatbelts, including rear, played a major role in saving the passengers, who were traveling in the Hector.
Agreed 100%. Heavy fines for such offenses. If they can't be put off from committing such crimes through a sense ( or lack of ) self preservation then fines that heavily affect their bank accounts should be the deterrence option used.

Also, a proper highway law enforcement force with its own marked vehicles. I don't think that is too much to ask from our govt considering, if what I know is correct, we are definitely in the top 10 countries with the highest number of road fatalities and accidents.
SaiSW is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 17:17   #32547
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,045
Thanked: 5,809 Times
re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

If the governments of the day had their priorities in the right place we wouldn't be discussing build quality issues at all.
Sorry to sound cynical, but awareness and related change will take decades, if at all. As long as we have a mindset to "beat", "cheat" and "slink off" we will never advance in the right direction. There are just too many of us in the country for this to have a positive effect sooner.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 21:34   #32548
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: DEL, SFO
Posts: 851
Thanked: 2,605 Times
re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Agreed 100%. Heavy fines for such offenses. If they can't be put off from committing such crimes through a sense ( or lack of ) self preservation then fines that heavily affect their bank accounts should be the deterrence option used.

Also, a proper highway law enforcement force with its own marked vehicles. I don't think that is too much to ask from our govt considering, if what I know is correct, we are definitely in the top 10 countries with the highest number of road fatalities and accidents.
Not in the top ten, unfortunately India is number 1 in road fatalities. Wrong side driving and other similar unsafe practices should be punishable by a mandatory one month confiscation of the vehicle, at least one day in jail and a fine equivalent to 10% of the vehicleís value for the first offense regardless of the reason for doing so. If the vehicle is found pointing the wrong way, this should apply. For a second offense, a much higher penalty is needed. I donít know why this government hasnít thought of the gold mine they can tap with traffic fines since they are so hellbent on raising all kinds of taxes. A lot of new police officers can be hired and they will pay for themselves and make a lot of money for the government while making the streets safer.
Lobogris is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 01:58   #32549
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 3,009
Thanked: 4,927 Times
re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Kerala must rank number one for reckless driving and the most bizarre accidents.

The information on Google about the hotel has been updated too as Temporarily Closed.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 10:27   #32550
BHPian
 
SaiSW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Good Blue Earth
Posts: 632
Thanked: 1,423 Times
re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Not in the top ten, unfortunately India is number 1 in road fatalities. Wrong side driving and other similar unsafe practices should be punishable by a mandatory one month confiscation of the vehicle, at least one day in jail and a fine equivalent to 10% of the vehicle’s value for the first offense regardless of the reason for doing so.
I don't understand why we can't have a dedicated highway patrol force, with proper cars, not rusty old Qualis vans. Our neighbour has one for their expressways.

Also needed is to make a lot more big highways access restricted so that those mindless autorickshaw drivers and bikers can't just appear in right in front of your car in a split second like they used a teleportation device. The behaviour of some people on highways makes me strongly think that either they're completely retarded or they're running some sort of insurance scam. Honestly I'm fed up
SaiSW is offline   (4) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks