Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2021, 09:23   #32611
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Has this one been posted here before? I couldn't find it using search.
Sure to have woken up the driver from their afternoon siesta. Speed appears to be <50kmph. Hopefully all occupants are safe.

I was observing the 2 - two wheeler rides and thought the last one was headed for that school bus. Why can't these chaps just stay on their side of the road!
Old 6th April 2021, 10:57   #32612
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
Hello forum members. I've posted a few times in these threads, never thought I'd be posting my own pictures. I was involved in an accident today, got rear ended by a police mini truck/van. Apparently the brakes of the vehicle failed and they hit us at quite a speed.
Thanks for sharing and I'm sure everyone's glad you and family are okay after that incident. There's been a lot of talk going around about what could happen if you're in a car with a diminutive boot and if you get rear-ended. Well, those of us who're interested in this are going to snapshot this Ritz's picture into our memories.

Quote:
Many people in this thread have said safety depends on the driver - my father was the one driving, and this one he could've done absolutely nothing about. Absolutely nothing.
Please check with your father - did he take his foot off the brakes if and when he saw the police van bearing down on your vehicle in the rearview mirrors.

A lot of drivers have lived to tell the tale of a rear-ending accident because they let go of the brakes and rid their bodies of all stiffness (loosen up one's neck, unlock the elbows gripping the steering wheel etc.) in order for the car and their bodies to be able to absorb the impending effects of the crash that's about to occur.

@ All

Actually, even as I write this, I only faintly remember the moral of other drivers' stories from all those answers on Quora - how is one supposed to ready one's body for a crash, if one can spot the impending crash? Keep it limp or rigid? Taking the foot off the brakes will surely help dissipate the overall kinetic energy of the crash with the help of the forward movement. But let's say I keep my arms tightly locked at the steering wheel, I am right in saying that they will bear the energy of the crash and get fractured - correct? And I suppose, tightening one's neck will cause some or the other whiplash injury; I think it's better to let the neck go limp and let the headrest protect oneself from whiplash - as in, let the neck bend but not break.

Even though I'm not confident of what I'm stating here - I want to learn what's right once and for all, if possible, if need be.
locusjag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 15:04   #32613
BHPian

Feel pitty for the car owner/driver he will have to shed a lot of money, one thing which amuses me was, how the car was moving at considerable speed even after the driver braked (Can be seen with brake lights in action). A case of another break failure in Creta??

Last edited by vvivek85 : 6th April 2021 at 15:06. Reason: Added a point
vvivek85 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 15:15   #32614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post
Feel pitty for the car owner/driver he will have to shed a lot of money, one thing which amuses me was, how the car was moving at considerable speed even after the driver braked (Can be seen with brake lights in action). A case of another break failure in Creta??

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=Vn8HOpT_uCA
No. I believe it's another brake light connected with the reversing lamp incidence.
If you notice the brake lights lit up almost immediately with the reversing lamps.

It seems like the car was an automatic and the driver was new. Might've put the car in reverse and ended up stamping the accelerator instead of the brakes.

Last edited by samyakmodi : 6th April 2021 at 15:17.
samyakmodi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 15:26   #32615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Please check with your father - did he take his foot off the brakes if and when he saw the police van bearing down on your vehicle in the rearview mirrors.

A lot of drivers have lived to tell the tale of a rear-ending accident because they let go of the brakes and rid their bodies of all stiffness (loosen up one's neck, unlock the elbows gripping the steering wheel etc.) in order for the car and their bodies to be able to absorb the impending effects of the crash that's about to occur.
Yes the car had reached to standstill and he had taken his feet off the brakes. He'd glanced at the van behind him but did not see the crash coming, must've assumed that he'd stop. His hands were still firmly on the steering wheel and thankfully none of the passengers were using smartphones! (I had checked it just a minute ago) so our necks were in looser positions. I surely won't be using my phone on the passenger seat anymore. He did not see the crash coming, though thankfully he'd left a decent amount of gap with the lorry in front, otherwise we'd have been hit on both ends. So this is also a lesson on why not to tailgate someone.

I would also be interested in knowing the answer to your question.
RoadMonkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 15:31   #32616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
No. I believe it's another brake light connected with the reversing lamp incidence.
With due respect, I beg to differ. If you notice closely, 0:43 the revering lamp was lit, whereas only at 0:45 brake light was lit. I don't find any logical reason other than a brake failure.
Old 6th April 2021, 15:45   #32617
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post

It seems like the car was an automatic and the driver was new. Might've put the car in reverse and ended up stamping the accelerator instead of the brakes.
Yep. The car definitely seems to be an automatic. At the start of the video, you can see the reverse light lighting up momentarily as he cycles the transmission from D to P (D -> N -> R -> P).
Old 6th April 2021, 19:06   #32618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Feel pitty for the car owner/driver he will have to shed a lot of money,
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=Vn8HOpT_uCA
My guess is that, he panicked and pressed the brakes with his left foot out of instinct, have seen few people do this mistake on my AT.

Had this been our Desi brand, all the "influencers" would have bragged about how the wall never stood a chance against the mighty 5 star car.
giri1.8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 20:29   #32619
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
In this guessing game, I would hedge my bets on -
1) footwear or bottle stuck under brake pedal
OR
2) 3D/7D "rigid" mats which got misaligned and fouling to keep A pedal pressed despite driver releasing the pedal and pressing the brake.
Old 6th April 2021, 21:55   #32620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

@ All

Actually, even as I write this, I only faintly remember the moral of other drivers' stories from all those answers on Quora - how is one supposed to ready one's body for a crash, if one can spot the impending crash? Keep it limp or rigid?
I think your instincts will take over, and, I'm afraid that many of them will be seriously wrong. There are descriptions of those horrible split seconds of an accident. I have not looked at one for a while, but I seem to remember that people grip the steering wheel tight, despite the fact that this results in multiple fractures of arm bones and shoulder.

Of course, there's more, what happens to the rest of the body. I don't have a link: It is too long since I was reading this stuff. It's horrific stuff.

It all reminds me that it is better to have a car with air bags, and, absolutely most important, wear seat belts always.

Last edited by Sheel : 9th April 2021 at 19:34. Reason: As requested.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 10:48   #32621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am also talking out of my rear end here but if I had the presence of mind to think in that situation, I would lean my neck back till the head is against the headrest and relax as much as possible.

I would however stay on the brakes since you don't want to hit someone in front of you if you get rear ended. Of course, if you have space to accelerate away forward, that is ideal.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 15:00   #32622
BHPian

Quote:

@ All

Actually, even as I write this, I only faintly remember the moral of other drivers' stories from all those answers on Quora - how is one supposed to ready one's body for a crash, if one can spot the impending crash? Keep it limp or rigid? Taking the foot off the brakes will surely help dissipate the overall kinetic energy of the crash with the help of the forward movement. But let's say I keep my arms tightly locked at the steering wheel, I am right in saying that they will bear the energy of the crash and get fractured - correct? And I suppose, tightening one's neck will cause some or the other whiplash injury; I think it's better to let the neck go limp and let the headrest protect oneself from whiplash - as in, let the neck bend but not break.

Even though I'm not confident of what I'm stating here - I want to learn what's right once and for all, if possible, if need be.

It really depends on the situation (which is not necessarily in the control of the driver).

If the brakes were engaged, the car would absorb the impact and whiplash would be lesser. The damage to the car will be more.

But if the brakes were not engaged, the car would be jolted forward resulting in a quick change of inertia, causing whiplash.

Of course, the assumption here is that the car can fully assume the impact without intrusion into the cabin. If the truck was a loaded tipper at a much higher speed, the car may not be able to absorb the impact without intrusion into the cabin. In such a case, maybe letting off the brakes is a better idea. Headrests can save the passengers from the fatal effects of the whiplash; increasing the chances of survival, especially for the rear passengers.

Now what if there's a big truck without an under run bar in front?

I do not know if there can be a universal rule when dealing with crashes from behind. Maybe, glancing the rear view and tracking the vehicle behind until it stops can help us be prepared. A big maybe.

Thank your stars, roadmonkey. Glad that you guys are safe. Many thanks for sharing and making us think about the random.

In 2003, a friend had a similar experience. Stopped at the signal and then a loud bang and small jolt. He was standing on his brakes. He stepped out and noticed that the boot of his Cielo ceased to exist. He was so very amazed that he witnessed no drama inside.
carrerastrax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 15:13   #32623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Has this one been posted here before? I couldn't find it using search.

https://Youtu.be/goaw-wQueIs
Flabbergasted by the intelligence of the bikers and Auto guy who slowed down but still chose to pass under the snapped power cable lines as if the force will hold up the high tension Powerline for these idiots to pass through. People don't seem to value their own lives on the roads
venbas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 17:27   #32624
BHPian

Delhi doctor, wife run over by car during evening stroll

A 72-year-old doctor and his 62-year-old wife, who had gone out for an evening stroll near their apartment in Dwarka, were killed when a car being driven by a 28-year-old woman in the same apartment complex ran over the couple. The slow-moving car first hit the couple who were walking on the side of the road and then crushed them as the driver apparently failed to notice them. The incident was caught on CCTV.

See Link:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/81946336.cms

Looks like the driver is distracted and totally unaware of her surroundings! Even after hitting the couple, no attempt is made to stop the car.Sheer negligence of the driver has costed two lives.

Warning:
Viewer discretion recommended as it is pretty distressing to see this

Last edited by haria : 7th April 2021 at 17:30.
haria is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 18:11   #32625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like the driver is distracted and totally unaware of her surroundings!
This is not an accident but almost a cold blooded murder by a jerk of a driver!

From the CCTV clip, it looks like the car was travelling at <20 Km/hr. If this lady driver was allowed to get behind the wheel, she sure must have the sense to atleast steer away from the couple (if not brake) on impact! She just continues to drive over them.

What is more unacceptable is that she was apparently released on bail....so may be few months/years down the line, another old couple might perish under her driving skills.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 7th April 2021 at 18:13.
Vik0728 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks