Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2021, 18:49   #32791
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20210517wa0013.jpg

Here is an old one, yours truly was on a 250 cc Yezdi, back in 1986.

The picture taken in the police station a day after going into the side of the Premier Padmini shown in the picture which had cut across the main road. It was a rainy night, and the brakes locked. Both of us couldn't see each other because of a high median. The bike hit the car and I had gone over the car and picked myself up 10 feet away. The Studds helmet I was wearing had a big dent and only the rear wheel of the bike was recognisable. The car had both windshields come off in the impact. From the looks, the car was also on its last legs and this was the most probably the coup de grace.

I got away with 2 missing teeth, some stitches on the chin and a minimal sternoclavicular joint injury.

Later on in the late 90s, when I had a Bullet, the family then, all wore helmets, including my kid who was 3 years old, even though passersby used to gape.

It's been a long journey to now advocate passionately for safe driving and safety measures especially the 3 point seat belt in cars and more importantly using them.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th May 2021 at 12:11. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Duckdoc is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 19:23   #32792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Won't comment on the safety till it is not crash tested. But it seems to have taken the hit well. All airbags deployed, almost no visible intrusion and no pillar buckling/collapse visible.

Interestingly the place where it is crashed has the 'Ati Ghai Sankatat jai...' 'Haste leads to accidents...', Ironic?
This is in Vashi, Navi mumbai. The junction connecting Palm Beach road, Sector 17 and APMC. It's a huge ground like junction which gets very dangerous if signals are not operating especially if the roads are empty and someone's speeding. From the looks of it the Safari just hit the footpath while trying to avoid hitting the Wagon R. There wasn't a significant frontal impact other than climbing over the footpath.
400notout is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 19:40   #32793
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Thanks to BHPian ramjiramu for sending this video in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

https://Youtu.be/BUBFKHq0_KI
Cannot comment on the build quality of the Safari as the circumstances of the accident are not clear. However, this accident confirms that the curtain airbags do not extend onto the 3rd row of seats which is a glaring omission in my eyes and detracts from the "safety first" persona that Tata is attempting to build around its vehicles (the rumored 2 star GNCAP score is another nail IMO).
sierrabravo98 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 21:19   #32794
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
RIP!

A heavier car will always get away with less damages than a lighter car. Isn't that what we learn with the second law of motion?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tec...-cars-win/amp/

The GNCAP ratings are irrelevant when the other vehicle is much heavier.
The below video clearly demonstrates that a well built tiny car can provide improved safety even when challenged by a collision with a much larger car more than 1.5 times its weight!! Clearly confirms the common bias that Maruti cars are just tin cans that shred like paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalmr62 View Post
I wouldn't say irrelevant. It is better to be in a higher rated car regardless. But, if you drive recklessly, you cannot getaway without consequences. I cannot guess who's fault caused this accident, so I prefer not to comment on the accident in particular.

Just because a car is highly rated/poorly rated doesn't mean you are in a tank or rolling coffin. Most of the accidents on our roads happen due to over-speed and utmost ignorance to traffic rules. A cautious driver can safely take you from place A to B in WagonR. Whereas a reckless one cannot do that even on a BMW.

That being said, we should enforce our car companies to build (active and passive) safe cars.
Great video! Thanks for sharing!
Old 23rd May 2021, 14:38   #32795
Distinguished - BHPian

The Cyberabad traffic police have uploaded this head-on Collision video between a TUV 300 and a Fortuner. I can't make out why the TUV was driven in this manner; its driver must have fainted or plainly lost control by overspeeding.

https://fb.watch/5FPqvoVZN9/
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 22:11   #32796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
The Cyberabad traffic police have uploaded this head-on Collision video between a TUV 300 and a Fortuner. I can't make out why the TUV was driven in this manner; its driver must have fainted or plainly lost control by overspeeding.
Is there any way the fortuner could have escaped from this accident?
Old 23rd May 2021, 22:21   #32797
BHPian

Quote:

Is the fortuner driver not strapped? I can see the windshield cracked. Is this due to impact of the crash?
Old 23rd May 2021, 22:32   #32798
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GladRagu View Post
Is there any way the fortuner could have escaped from this accident?
There was no way! You see the Fortuner swerving a bit to its left when the TUV enters the video's frame. That's about all you can do in the little time available in such situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcentrk View Post
Is the fortuner driver not strapped? I can see the windshield cracked. Is this due to impact of the crash?
It was a non-fatal crash, from what I heard. No one died. You'd think that all parties were belted up...it's mind boggling to think of the 1.6 tonne TUV at what seems like triple digit speeds, hitting a 2+ tonne beast - the immense energy involved had to be absorbed somewhere. It looks like both cars did their jobs well...safety-wise.
Old 23rd May 2021, 22:58   #32799
BHPian

I wouldn't exactly call this an accident as the rider here did this intentionally to evade the check post. The pillion rider lost his life instantly!

Pferdestarke is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 23:25   #32800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
I wouldn't exactly call this an accident as the rider here did this intentionally to evade the check post. The pillion rider lost his life instantly!
Can someone explain what exactly happened here? Was the rider trying to escape something? He should be charged with manslaughter.
Indian2003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 08:49   #32801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
Can someone explain what exactly happened here? Was the rider trying to escape something? He should be charged with manslaughter.
As per the news report, this happened at a check post in Mancherial district of Telangana. The biker was speeding as he approached the check post and the cop tried to stop them by pulling down the barrier and waving at them to slow down.

The rider had other ideas and sped beneath the barrier by ducking down, the pillion didn't duck and hit the barrier.

I agree with your point on charging the rider with manslaughter!
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 09:16   #32802
BHPian

Stupidity truly knows no bounds!

I don't even know where to start with this one.

- You're supposed to stop when a cop asks you to stop.

- You're supposed to not, generally speaking, run head-first into barricades.

- If ducking, at least do that properly - why would you duck backwards when it's clearly not working for you?

On the other hand, the cop appeared to be lifting the barricade just a second before the collision (clearly to prevent this "accident"). The poor people are going to live with the trauma of seeing this spectacular method of going 'yolo goodbyecruelworld'.
N.A.GTC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 09:22   #32803
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

It seems that video has been taken down now as I am unable to access it. Could you upload it again from another source if it's possible?
Old 24th May 2021, 09:48   #32804
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post
It seems that video has been taken down now as I am unable to access it. Could you upload it again from another source if it's possible?
I'm sorry, didn't know it got taken down (which is suspicious in and of itself). The video was made available by the Cyberabad police.

In any case, the video showed a 4 lane divided highway. There was a long break in the median where the CCTV camera was focused. A white Fortuner comes toward the camera at legal speeds and within its lane - quite disciplined. For some reason it begins swerving a bit to its left and a red TUV 300 presently veers into its path via the break in the median and strikes its front right headlamp area at a very high speed. The Fortuner almost capsizes to its left but lands on its wheels. A visibly dazed and hurt lady ambles out from behind the Fortuner's steering wheel and sits down by the roadside. Both cars took the brunt of the crash well, with neither cabin getting impacted. No one died.
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 10:15   #32805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post
Quote:
In any case, the video showed a 4 lane divided highway......
It is there over here:

balenoed_ is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed