Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2021, 10:03   #32911
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by venbas View Post
Xylo Car turning turtle on an Overbridge. Looks like a high speed overtake gone wrong as the Xylo swerves suddenly to avoid hitting a car coming on the opposite lane

https://Youtu.be/brQKzm1f6OY
The vehicle from which the video was taken is already on the middle of the road, presumably because of the alto parked on the left. And it is a curve. That Xylo driver had some guts to go for that maneuver and good thing that he managed not to hit the oncoming vehicle.
ask_017 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 10:33   #32912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask_017 View Post
The vehicle from which the video was taken is already on the middle of the road...
I think it is an elevated junction or the point where an access ramp merges with the carriageway on which the action is taking place. The other vehicle is parked on the merging ramp.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 10:37   #32913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Xylo Car turning turtle on an Overbridge. Looks like a high speed overtake gone wrong as the Xylo swerves suddenly to avoid hitting a car coming on the opposite lane
An ESP could have possibly saved the day in such a scenario. In fact ESP should be made as a mandatory safety feature on all vehicles.
tj123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 11:24   #32914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
An ESP could have possibly saved the day in such a scenario. In fact ESP should be made as a mandatory safety feature on all vehicles.
Doubt if it would've have been helpful in this type of vehicle. These type of high GC Pseudo SUVs gives me the creeps. Having driven tallboys like Santro Wagon R and Ritz I quickly realized that you should keep your adrenaline in check as any sudden maneuvers easily results in the wheels lifting off the sides and sending you into a potential disaster situation. Thankfully in the Ritz I could control the Car via a generous upsizing to Michelin Primacy tyres. The Michelin tyres were nearly double that of OEM in width. Unfortunately today the manufacturer's are dressing up even A segment Hatchbacks as SUVs with the same puny tyres but even more raised GC than the old tallboys

Last edited by venbas : 15th June 2021 at 11:30. Reason: Typos
venbas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 12:00   #32915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

https://Youtu.be/brQKzm1f6OY
PERFECT example of what is a 'Moose Test' AKA 'Elk Test' AKA 'Stupid Overtaking Gone Wrong Test'.
svsantosh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 14:07   #32916
BHPian

I was involved in a very minor accident this morning. Although I have dashcam footage of the incident, it wouldn't have captured the cause of the accident. Here's how it went sequentially. I have made a sketch of the incident according to my best ability:

1. I was driving my Alto down a narrow road filled with speedbreakers at hardly 15kmph because the probability of kids crossing the road is high. A scooter is tailgating me while constantly beeping.

2. As you see in the sketch, there's a left turn and a speedbreaker is there diagonally. The tailgating scooter starts to overtake me right before the turn.

3. I'm almost at the turn slowing down to cross the speedbreaker in 2nd gear and I glance on my right ORVM and blind spot to check on the overtaking scooter beside me.

4. In that instance, another motorbike speeds down to the speedbreaker from the opposite end and almost crosses the speedbreaker. But since for a millisecond I was checking the ORVM and blind spot for the scooter, I accidentally hit his side carrier which was jutting out his right side end at 7/8kmph. He loses balance, but manages to not fall, but his carrier is trashed. The scooter which was at fault originally, overtaking on a blind turn, makes an about turn and speeds away in the commotion.

5. Anyways, a minor verbal duel later, the motorcyclist relents after I convince him that it was none of our fault and the scooterwala idiot is already gone, hence we could move on.

Although thankfully the incident was minor and no one was hurt, such mishaps make me wanna give up driving in city bylanes. Everyone usually follows traffic decorum on big roads though.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20210615_134225.jpg  

stallmaster is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 14:55   #32917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
Holy hell!! That is one heck of a crash. How fast was the scooter riding going at?

The bike seems relatively undamaged, plastics are gone, but the shell looks intact. I have seen this road in a Youtube vlogger's video, where he complains of all the "chappri" riders always racing him or riding dangerously, especially on this stretch.
Yeah. Going by the "chhapri" riders here, he must have been between 80-90kmph. Not only that, even the buses gun it sometimes on this stretch. It was an overtaking maneuver gone wrong, actually. Kid tried overtaking a car and smooches the bus hard in the process.

Speaking of damages, since it's a frontal crash, mostly the front facia is damaged, also broke the front wheel, fork, shockers, lights etc, and probably also compromised the frame/chassis front part.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 16:26   #32918
Senior - BHPian

Kia Seltos. A car shouldn't break apart like this, under any circumstances. Do we blame the abysmal NCAP rating for the Indian variant?

Source

Last edited by Aditya : 15th June 2021 at 19:17. Reason: Same images have been posted on the thread earlier.
Old 15th June 2021, 16:30   #32919
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Kia Seltos. A car shouldn't break apart like this, under any circumstances. Do we blame the abysmal NCAP rating for the Indian variant?

Attachment 2167628
Attachment 2167629
Attachment 2167630

Source
Here is a link to google search of pictures of cars breaking into two pieces - https://www.google.com/search?q=car+...58&safe=active There is no legislation anywhere in the world that says a car should not break into two under any circumstances. It is just your expectation.

It is rather the result of a car going sideways at a high speed into an RCC wall and also rolling over the wall(which will act as a saw). And I believe this has been discussed earlier in this thread.

Last edited by audioholic : 15th June 2021 at 16:31.
audioholic is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 16:38   #32920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

It is rather the result of a car going sideways at a high speed into an RCC wall and also rolling over the wall(which will act as a saw). And I believe this has been discussed earlier in this thread.
Agreed. You do have a point. However, the Kia Seltos was awarded a three-star safety rating with borderline unstable structure by NCAP. The variant used for the crash test was equipped with dual front airbags and seatbelt pre-tensioners.

Did the company do anything to address that particular concern? Not yet. Are they obliged to? No. Because there isn't a law which mandates that, yet.

Things are improving, but we aren't really there yet when it comes to safety.

Source
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 17:02   #32921
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Did the company do anything to address that particular concern? Not yet. Are they obliged to? No. Because there isn't a law which mandates that, yet.

Things are improving, but we aren't really there yet when it comes to safety.
My actual point was, disintegration of the car into two pieces isnt really an NCAP topic, especially the charitable organization called GNCAP. So the ratings and this accident have no relation. Even if Kia fixed things for GNCAP, I dont think that would have changed such a scenario. When GNCAP makes their claim of 'unstable body structure' they dont try to warp the car around a tree or a kerb. For them, even an intrusion into the floor or firewall, or a bend in the pillar is unstable. So, better understand how these terms are arrived at technically.

A stable body structure of a BMW also gets torn into two pieces. So, posting the picture of this car and dragging the well debated GNCAP rating is irrelevant is what I wanted to make as a point.
audioholic is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 17:40   #32922
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
A stable body structure of a BMW also gets torn into two pieces. So, posting the picture of this car and dragging the well debated GNCAP rating is irrelevant is what I wanted to make as a point.
And let us not forget that the very first post of this very thread has a picture of a Ford Ikon neatly broken/disintegrating into two pieces post an accident and that is circa 2004:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-untitled.jpg
paragsachania is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 11:57   #32923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post

Died on the spot in head-on with a bus

Attachment 2167384

Notice the distance the scooter was thrown! Guy died on the spot. Happened last night between Malwani Church and Marve Beach in Malad West, Mumbai. A brief stretch of road here makes people speed. Anyway, this guy was known for rash driving. 20 years old. RIP.

Attachment 2167385

Attachment 2167386
In past few years this place has become a race track for some, not that it wasn't earlier but now it's a favorite playground for "Chappri" type people.

This approximately 1km stretch between Malvani church and Marve is almost a straight, uninhabited road with a downhill slope and no speed breakers. Recipe for a disaster for irresponsible people like this chap.

Off late i am seeing many superbikes riding on this stretch in the evening, few of them pretty occasionally with a Go-Pro mounted to the helmet.

Most of them pure show off types, i believe they head further from Marve towards Madh, which has a large stretch of winding roads but also many death-trap locations if driven/ridden poorly.
Gaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 15:01   #32924
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The bold part is what made it happen. Such maneuvers coupled with lightest nudge is good enough for that Xylo to totally lose control and topple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_the_Don View Post
Xylo is one of the most unstable cars on Indian roads. It's top-heavy and the rashness of cab drivers does not help. I had a chance to drive it few times and found it wallowing and was quite scared to drive it on flyovers especially getting down the cloverleaf flyover at Kathipara.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
It looks more to me that the Xylo is a poorly designed car with bad suspension - does it even have a front or rear sway bar? It behaved like it lacks one completely.
Old 17th June 2021, 00:05   #32925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaur View Post
Off late i am seeing many superbikes riding on this stretch in the evening, few of them pretty occasionally with a Go-Pro mounted to the helmet.

Most of them pure show off types, i believe they head further from Marve towards Madh, which has a large stretch of winding roads but also many death-trap locations if driven/ridden poorly.
Yes you're right. Actually the road from Malvani Church to Madh is my favourite road to ride in Mumbai with lots of curves and the serenity in the nature here being addictive. Hence the Go-Pro folks having a blast.
But an experienced rider will promptly notice that the road is just as dangerous and tricky as it is good with almost all the turns being blind turns so you have to be ready with the brakes all the time expecting someone wayward coming from the opposite direction on the turns. Lots of evening walkers also enjoy the place for evening walks now post covid.

That said, accidents are commonplace here also on the junction where one road goes towards Madh and the other to Marve Beach. Just last week a guy took a wild turn to end up getting his bike under a bus coming from Madh. He got away safe but his girlfriend got crushed under the rear wheels and it was one more instant death. Most of these "chhapris" are from the nearby Malvani slum area

I don't know why the authorities are unable to have some remedy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks