Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2021, 08:44   #32956
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
All cars are "tin boxes." I wish we could all remember this every time we drive one, regardless of brand etc.
Yes Sir, This is something that I keep in mind every time I am driving, or feel an urge to increase speed instead of giving way, or to take a chance in a blind corner. One of my suggestions would be to use the new colour dash displays to show a photo of the driver's loved ones along with the overspeed warning!

But surely you agree that not all are built the same. Crash safety ratings are given based on how the car's stuctural design holds up to the impact and stress of a crash, to better protect the occupants. We simply cannot negate the role of crashworthiness by basically saying, "Just drive slower". Simply driving slower does not make you crash-proof. There is also a fair amount of luck involved, to avoid crashes altogether.

How many cases have we seen in these pages alone, of stories where a parked vehicle, or a vehicle moving at a slow or moderate pace has been struck by other vehicles, or acts of God, such as a tree falling or a piece of debris falling from a height, or something akin to that, in which the driver of the car is not speeding or otherwise at fault?

I think it is perfectly reasonable to question the build quality of a vehicle, even if the speeds involved were high. A better built and designed car would offer higher protection for its occupants even at higher speeds, and a badly built car would car would fare worse. Speed does have an affect on the outcome, but that does not mean that you can simply dismiss genuine concerns about build quality, Sir. I hope you agree.
vivekgk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 10:03   #32957
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I have never been a two-wheeler rider, but yes, this occurred to me. But not to adjust speed to a crawl if you cannot see ahead is unforgivable. None the less, it happens all the time, on two wheels and four.
They keep to the same speeds; the same distance from the vehicle in front; etc etc.
Have you ever noticed this aspect here in Chennai at least? When dumb two wheeler riders behind you cannot see ahead of you and if you're forced to stop for whatever reason, they honk and curse as if you've duped them of their entire family's life savings. My mistake is in communicating with the idiots that I'm stopped due to crossing traffic, pedestrians, cattle, or because of a traffic signal...the net result often angers them even more. I drive a very wide and tall vehicle and idiots behind me plainly assume that it is my life's mission to cause them a slow drive.

Not sure if this is the case everywhere in India or if this stupidity is endemic to this state or city; every region has a collective automotive character and set of idiosyncracies. This locomotive mentality to just keep chugging on in a straight line is Chennai's defining trait 100%.
locusjag is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 17:17   #32958
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
Yes Sir, This is something that I keep in mind every time I am driving...
Good. I try too, to remember that the confidence that this thin skin of metal gives us is exagerated!
Quote:
But surely you agree that not all are built the same. Crash safety ratings are given based on how the car's stuctural design holds up to the impact and stress of a crash, to better protect the occupants.
Oh yes, indeed.

Quote:
How many cases have we seen in these pages alone, of stories where a parked vehicle, or a vehicle moving at a slow or moderate pace has been struck by other vehicles, or acts of God, such as a tree falling or a piece of debris falling from a height, or something akin to that, in which the driver of the car is not speeding or otherwise at fault?
Indeed it is not all about speed, nor is it always one driver's fault. My dad, my first guru, used to say, "Remember: 50% of all accidents are the other person's fault."

But you mention trees and and objects falling. If you give a mighty whack on your car with a sledge hammer, what result would you expect? I'd expect that you might well have written off your car! Beyond repair in one stroke! Now consider a falling tree, which might be delivering a similar force in a line all along the vehicle. No-one would want to be inside that car! Further, consider a car, spinning off from a high-speed skid, landing sideways against the same tree: even more forces may be involved than if the tree had fallen.

Quote:
I think it is perfectly reasonable to question the build quality of a vehicle, even if the speeds involved were high. A better built and designed car would offer higher protection for its occupants even at higher speeds, and a badly built car would car would fare worse. Speed does have an affect on the outcome, but that does not mean that you can simply dismiss genuine concerns about build quality, Sir. I hope you agree.
I do agree entirely. But I also find that expectations, in a thread like this one, are unreasonable. Especially when it comes to collisions with things like trees.

Bottom line is that the best we can do is invest in the safest car and drive it as safely as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Have you ever noticed this aspect here in Chennai at least? When dumb two wheeler riders behind you cannot see ahead of you and if you're forced to stop for whatever reason, they honk and curse as if you've duped them of their entire family's life savings.
I have noticed worse than this. I have noticed that they don't stop, they overtake!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 17:01   #32959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
I do wonder how all those guys (mobs) came out of nowhere ? This also highlights a jobless situation
Jobless or not, there are people who will happily stop whatever they are doing to get involved in a mob. When an accident happens abroad, people tend to the injured, exchange insurance numbers, make a path for traffic etc. Sometimes, there's road rage but usually from those involved in the crash.

In India, you will have a bunch of people who, despite being completely uninvolved bystanders, will start damaging property and beating up people. Look at that one guy running after the car who stops to pick up a rock on the other side of the bridge. I honestly cannot fathom what goes through their primitive minds.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 24th June 2021 at 17:03.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 04:29   #32960
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes SUV Runs Over Pedestrian, Rams Vehicles In Hyderabad; One Killed
Source: NDTV
Quote:
A woman died and five others were seriously injured on Wednesday after a Mercedes SUV ran over a pedestrian and rammed an auto-rickshaw and other vehicles in Hyderabad's Old City area. The driver of the car and the co-passengers allegedly fled after the accident... but was arrested later.
Mob justice is probably the main reason why people try to flee after causing accident.

Another is obviously to escape the law, hoping no one captured your registration number or by using influence or by using a stand-in poor driver.
Old 25th June 2021, 10:37   #32961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Bad on the media house to specify what car it was, every media house does this and then people read this stuff and then make an assumption that all luxury car owners are jackasses and can't drive. If this was a Swift or something a lot less expensive the media wouldn't have cared.
CarManMotorcycl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 11:02   #32962
Senior - BHPian

Got the images of a BMW X4 crash in Spiti Valley, the car rolled over while being driven at Night. Of the 4 occupants, one passed away on the spot. The car was HR registered.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20210625wa0105.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20210625wa0106.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20210625wa0107.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20210625wa0108.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20210625wa0109.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20210625wa0110.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20210625wa0111.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20210625wa0112.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20210625wa0113.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20210625wa0114.jpg  

Maverick5490 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 11:28   #32963
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Got the images of a BMW X4 crash in Spiti Valley, the car rolled over while being driven at Night. Of the 4 occupants, one passed away on the spot. The car was HR registered.
On my drive a few years back, I saw 2-3 such crashes. They scale of the fall seems large in these pictures, but in real life it's way larger! I'm surprised at the lack of casualties in this accident.
The accidents I saw, the cars literally got rolled into over sized cigars.
It's very easy to make mistakes/overestimate yourself or your car in the unearthly darkness on this loop.
mayankk is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 11:38   #32964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
The accidents I saw, the cars literally got rolled into over sized cigars.
It's very easy to make mistakes/overestimate yourself or your car in the unearthly darkness on this loop.
Indeed, considering the drop, the cars pillars and body structure has held up well.

In fact, the rear Left door glass is still intact in the images.

Last edited by Maverick5490 : 25th June 2021 at 11:40.
Maverick5490 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 13:27   #32965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Another is obviously to escape the law, hoping no one captured your registration number or by using influence or by using a stand-in poor driver.
Trying to hope that no one catches the number plates is a vain effort these days due to the abundant cameras covered by public CCTVs as well as the private ones.

This video seems to be related to the mentioned accident. If not, kindly comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarManMotorcycl View Post
Bad on the media house to specify what car it was, every media house does this and then people read this stuff and then make an assumption that all luxury car owners are jackasses and can't drive. If this was a Swift or something a lot less expensive the media wouldn't have cared.
This is what will grab headlines. The media folks know this well from experience and from past accidents where newspapers, especially mid-day editions are quickly picked up when the name of an expensive car brand is involved in an accident. Nowadays the same works for online news as well.

Last edited by TrackDay : 25th June 2021 at 13:40.
Old 25th June 2021, 14:07   #32966
BHPian

Quote:

Mob justice is probably the main reason why people try to flee after causing accident.

So many instances of people using their drivers its sad that the Indian law system is so blind that it can't see thru such simple deception. Stand-ins are used in an array of instances to deceive the law and most of the time's its sadly simple/arranged/paid off.
Brishti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 14:27   #32967
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When I read the post and saw starting few snaps, I was like, the casualty could have been due to the sunroof giving way and person thrown out. But the 7th snap was like . 3 people surviving that drop and the car staying recognizable, it's a miracle of sorts.
Old 25th June 2021, 14:55   #32968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
When I read the post and saw starting few snaps, I was like, the casualty could have been due to the sunroof giving way and person thrown out. But the 7th snap was like . 3 people surviving that drop and the car staying recognizable, it's a miracle of sorts.
Unfortunately, there has been a second causality in the crash, with another person succumbing to the injuries in the crash.
Rest two remain hospitalized. May the departed souls R.I.P
akshay4587 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 14:56   #32969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
https://Youtu.be/gRRqzb3C_ec

Accident at Ballabgarh Market - not sure of date.
Points to note:
1. Busy junction without traffic lights or a cop.
2. The car involved was at a speed higher than most others and did not appear to try and slow down at the junction.
3. Swerving to avoid the vehicles at the junction was a last ditch effort.
4. The hit and run was a desparate attempt to escape.
5. Mob justice with people already ready with stones. Dont know how things culminated. Also not sure of the primary damage and injuries.
The fault is of this guy, no doubt.

But is it possible that he tried to flee the spot because people had started getting violent? I absolutely believe so. You can see people already running towards him even before he flees. Any reasonable person would prefer to run over such a mob than risk being killed.

I don't know what the cops in this case did, but there ought to be two FIRs: one for the taxi driver for rash driving (and assuming someone got injured, causing hurt by negligence); and the other against the mob for rioting, being members of an unlawful assembly, attempt to cause grievous hurt/culpable homicide (depending on the kind of injury the driver sustained) etc. These vigilantes are a bigger risk to the society than any overspeeding taxi wallah can ever be.

And don't get me wrong, I do get the sadistic pleasure of seeing instant karma/justice do its thing. Doesn't make it right though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Trying to hope that no one catches the number plates is a vain effort these days due to the abundant cameras covered by public CCTVs as well as the private ones.

This video seems to be related to the mentioned accident. If not, kindly comment.
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=kkXaUaq0ycU

OT: These idiots have been flashing "hit and run caught on camera", when the only thing that has been caught on the camera is the speeding car. Not the hit and run - not the exact specific thing they claimed to have been literally caught on camera. What idiots.

Last edited by N.A.GTC : 25th June 2021 at 15:02.
N.A.GTC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 17:19   #32970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
They scale of the fall seems large in these pictures, but in real life it's way larger! I'm surprised at the lack of casualties in this accident.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Unfortunately, there has been a second causality in the crash, with another person succumbing to the injuries in the crash.
Rest two remain hospitalized. May the departed souls R.I.P
I just drove this morning from Manali and reached Kaza around 3PM, and we saw this car fallen down after we came to the other side of this bend. While coming from Manali, this is a sharp right bend next to a gorge a few kilometres short of Kaza. It is easily a 500 feet drop, or maybe more. I am surprised to know it was a BMW and happy to know about the survivors, I was thinking no one would survive that fall.
AdityaDeane is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks