Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2021, 05:24   #33046
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
I had an unfortunate situation in Dehradoon, Uttrakhand a few years back.
You are lucky my friend. Incidents like these can go several ways and in a not so good way.

I don't like the approach the hospital owner took, over asking you money for additional treatment. If the lady was indeed going to miss a month of work due to the injury, they could have just asked you to compensate for that instead of using the tactic of extracting money for a surgery that was probably not needed. This has become a regular for our hospitals now. Make a case more complicated than it is and to make money by putting fear into your head.

I digress. It was only two days ago a covid isolation ward in Chennai said that the blood oxygen levels were falling for my aunt and grand aunt who tested positive. They were recovering and absolutely fine. Turns out, the blood oxygen device they were using was at fault. They were tested again with a new apparatus and the numbers was >90. This is just two cases. God only knows how many people have been admitted and administered drugs when they were probably doing just fine. With hospitals keeping all other critical patients away as most are treating for covid, it seems like they are out to make money they have lost from all the big surgeries that they would otherwise cash in on. Difficult situation to be in.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 7th July 2021 at 05:25.
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 06:03   #33047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
How many similar rear ending crashes do we get to see!
With the help of available technology definitely we can avoid/lessen these kinds of crashes. Adaptive cruise control and pre collision safety systems definitely avoid the crashes if not reduce the impact of crashes. Its a mystery why OEMs are not keen on introducing these life saving techs in India. I would take these systems any day over cabin air filter/ sun roof or even connected tech, many lives are lost unnecessarily due to misplaced priorities of OEMs.

Last edited by nandrive : 7th July 2021 at 06:08.
nandrive is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 08:40   #33048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandrive View Post
With the help of available technology definitely we can avoid/lessen these kinds of crashes. Adaptive cruise control and pre collision safety systems definitely avoid the crashes if not reduce the impact of crashes. Its a mystery why OEMs are not keen on introducing these life saving techs in India. I would take these systems any day over cabin air filter/ sun roof or even connected tech, many lives are lost unnecessarily due to misplaced priorities of OEMs.
Absolutely agree with you. I have been desperately waiting for such ADAS to become more available in India. I want my next car to be an EV but currently no EV has such tech. MG ZS has it in Thailand but it has been removed for India. Since MG has recently introduced it in the Gloster, I am hoping it will make its way to their other vehicles. Test photos and reports of MG ZS petrol seem to indicate that it might include such tech. Currently it is found only on Volvo and some top end vehicles in India. Tata has unfortunately removed even ESC, TPMS and cruise control which are present on normal Nexon from their EV.
Lobogris is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 15:07   #33049
Distinguished - BHPian

Additional safety devices increase the price of the car and put many, many buyers here off. Their worth-the-money safety device is the idol on the dashboard.

Safety devices also tend to increase overconfidence. But no, I do not think this is a good reason for actually not having them: I just wish people would drive as if they are not there. If I feel my abs working, that means that I have been in a dangerous situation, and I don't want it to be partly my fault because I think abs can save me! I pay for abs, and then forget I have it. And hopefully don't get reminded!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 7th July 2021 at 15:08.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 02:04   #33050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Got via WhatsApp. Happened somewhere in KA. No more details available.

Sonet is badly crushed. How many similar rear ending crashes do we get to see!
Happened last Sunday the 4th of July early morning (between 430 - 5) on Bangalore - Pune highway. I filled up my tank at Shell, just after Sira. Before I reached Hiriyur, I saw this crushed Sonet, with a few vehicles parked on the right and the left lanes, with only the middle lane traffic flowing. There was debris about 100-200 meters before the actual spot, indicating a high-speed crash, probably onto that slow-moving truck on the extreme right lane close to the divider.
Goandiaries is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 10:08   #33051
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
I have been desperately waiting for such ADAS to become more available in India.
With Mahindra launching it in their XUV700 (confirmed in spy pics as the car carries a camera behind the IRVM) the others will hopefully follow suit.

And I hope these are calibrated to work in an Indian scenario. Such rear-ending, auto-rickshaws SUDDENLY turning into the road etc. can be hopefully avoided with such safety systems.
krishnakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 10:18   #33052
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goandiaries View Post
Happened last Sunday the 4th of July early morning (between 430 - 5) on Bangalore - Pune highway. I filled up my tank at Shell, just after Sira. Before I reached Hiriyur, I saw this crushed Sonet, with a few vehicles parked on the right and the left lanes, with only the middle lane traffic flowing. There was debris about 100-200 meters before the actual spot, indicating a high-speed crash, probably onto that slow-moving truck on the extreme right lane close to the divider.
If the truck was slow moving say at 30kmph the extent of damage indicates the Sonet was easily doing +140kmph to suffer such visible impact! Was the car driven with headlights switched off? We’re there no taillights on the truck? Did the driver doze of momentarily even while at high speed (at these speeds even a 3 second head nod out of drowsiness could have been that fatal moment)? Foggy conditions? Gawd only knows what transpired for this horrific case to occur.

Last edited by Ragul : 9th July 2021 at 10:20.
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 16:02   #33053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
If the truck was slow moving say at 30kmph the extent of damage indicates the Sonet was easily doing +140kmph to suffer such visible impact!
This is too early to conclude that Sonet was doing 140+. From the pics: entire front end and engine bay went under the truck; only bonnet, A-pillar and roof of Sonet hit the rear end. These parts won't provide any significant resistance to lateral impact. A-pillar is designed for taking loads along its length, not lateral/ shear loads.

Now, even if the Sonet was moving at 90kmph and truck at 50kmph; the forces generated on impact at this relative speed of 40kmph are too high for these parts to absorb safely. And it was offset frontal crash; only one A-pillar was impacted; bonnet and roof behave like paper.

Remember, the offset (40%) frontal crash test is conducted only at 56kmph; front end, engine bay, A-pillar absorb/ transfer forces away from occupant. In the process, front end and engine bay gets crushed badly.

The distance of 100~200m mentioned by Goandiaries could be the distance truck driver took to brake after getting impact.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 19:35   #33054
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
This is too early to conclude that Sonet was doing 140+. From the pics: entire front end and engine bay went under the truck; only bonnet, A-pillar and roof of Sonet hit the rear end. These parts won't provide any significant resistance to lateral impact. A-pillar is designed for taking loads along its length, not lateral/ shear loads.
Good point there! And this is a major reason why NCAP crash ratings do not translate to safety on our roads. When the use case is rear-ending a truck/bus or to have a head-on collision with either of them, cars with low bonnets will only plug themselves underneath in this manner. So then rear-ending/colliding a heavy vehicle in an "unsafe" high bonnet car such as an old Sumo, Scorpio or in a "safe" Hexa will offer better safety in the crash - not due to their NCAP ratings or the lack of it, but due to their high bonnets.

Here's a T4 TUV 300 sans Airbags that met a lorry head on in the highway. No one was hurt.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20191010wa0001.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20191010wa0002.jpg

Last edited by locusjag : 9th July 2021 at 19:41. Reason: Added crash pics from my phone as examples
locusjag is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 09:20   #33055
BHPian

Posting an 4 year old AD which I just saw. Would love to know the current status of this project.

RaghuVis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 10:57   #33056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
I see a car and a tanker truck crushed under the debris. Was traffic allowed under the bridge ?
Initial report from NHAI says the wooden supporting blocks must be replaced in 5days with concrete blocks, but they haven't even after 15days. Human error caused the accident
Old 10th July 2021, 15:09   #33057
Senior - BHPian

One should be very careful when heavy vehicles are around. The driver of the heavy vehicle may not know/see you, but you can see that Big vehicle always.

Keep a distance of 3 feet from big vehicles always.

tanwaramit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 18:30   #33058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Good point there! And this is a major reason why NCAP crash ratings do not translate to safety on our roads. When the use case is rear-ending a truck/bus or to have a head-on collision with either of them, cars with low bonnets will only plug themselves underneath in this manner. So then rear-ending/colliding a heavy vehicle in an "unsafe" high bonnet car such as an old Sumo, Scorpio or in a "safe" Hexa will offer better safety in the crash - not due to their NCAP ratings or the lack of it, but due to their high bonnets.

Here's a T4 TUV 300 sans Airbags that met a lorry head on in the highway. No one was hurt.
True, but a front/head on or side impact may sometimes result in the Body on Frame vehicle being the worse off against a monocoque chassis.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 10th July 2021 at 18:32.
Old 10th July 2021, 18:53   #33059
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
True, but a front/head on or side impact may sometimes result in the Body on Frame vehicle being the worse off against a monocoque chassis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post

Attachment 2177193

Attachment 2177194
Both of you are quite correct in your respective opinions. For reference, this is how a Scorpio, which is about as poorly engineered as the TUV above fared in a high speed side impact. Sadly, a policeman's life was lost in that accident. The Scorpio looks like a train hit it and not a light sedan like a Honda City (admittedly doing very high speeds and carrying lots of momentum though).

We can see that the bodyshell of the Scorpio has separated from the chassis in this case. Maybe a hydro-formed chassis (which Tata used in the Storme/Hexa) would have fared better? I consider a reasonably tall and heavy BoF vehicle with a high bonnet which is well engineered to be the safest one to travel in within India. Unfortunately, the cheapest vehicle which checks every criteria is the Alturas G4 which itself costs around 35-40 lakh on road.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-_c471aa0adb3e11ea88ef3d2d7bb3ceb2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident_pcr_dp1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-10delhiaccident2.jpg  

Last edited by sierrabravo98 : 10th July 2021 at 18:58.
sierrabravo98 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 18:54   #33060
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
One should be very careful when heavy vehicles are around. The driver of the heavy vehicle may not know/see you, but you can see that Big vehicle always.

Keep a distance of 3 feet from big vehicles always.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=CdgJwH-nJ3A
Again, the slow moving two wheeler is leaving too less a gap between his Scooty and the road divider leaving himself to the mercy of the Almighty with very less space for the huge truck to manouvre. There was ample space to his left. That's suicidal. And very sadly an innocent five year old's life is lost.

The blind spot to his left has also made an aberration for the truck driver.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed