Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2021, 16:33   #33211
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS80 View Post
Any reason why the Terrano toppled? ...
It seemed to spin, and toppled from the spin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
3) Installing speed breakers is NOT the solution.
Well, it is a solution, if not the solution. Properly designed rumble strips and speed breakers certainly work to reduce speed.

But it is a can-of-worms solution, beginning with the properly-designed bit. We all now that unmarked, badly-dimensioned humps can cause as much damage as they prevent.

On the other hand, driver training, testing and licencing, whilst a much better answer, comes under the heading of changing the world to make it a better place. This is absolutely the best answer, but there is no sign of it even beginning.

One thing not mentioned so far is proper road markings. There should be continuous lines on the "main" road, and stop/give-way markings on the side roads. This applies to city lanes as much as it applies to major roads.

But... when people choose to ignore red stop lights, what chance of them taking note of road markings? At least, I suppose, the road markings would help the compensation claims afterwards.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 17:51   #33212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Badged v/s Re-badged. Happened today in Kannur, Kerala.
it looks like an auto has also toppled in the melee..

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 30th July 2021 at 19:29. Reason: quote tags
Old 30th July 2021, 18:13   #33213
BHPian

Salem Highway Creta Hit & Run
Just saw news stating that one of the two wheeler occupants which was hit by a Creta a few days ago on the Salem highway has passed away. Apparently he did not respond to the treatment. May his soul rest in peace.
Satish Pari is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 22:31   #33214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
When I think about it, both these intersecting roads are lined with buildings on both sides, no traffic signs indicating an approaching + junction, and relatively low traffic rates. Unless and otherwise you almost enter the junction, there will be no visual cue that its a junction.
Yeah, I agree this junction may not be identifiable 100-150m away but certainly you'll be able to stop in time unless one's doing above average speeds.

Quote:
Looking at the video, it appears obvious for the two cars to have anticipated it, but in reality such improperly designed junctions can catch one off guard, if the road is unknown.
Agreed, I wonder when the driving conditions in India will improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Good to know there's a BHPian nearby! Caltex junction used to be a regular spot for me (so many coaching centres nearby )
Oh, nice to e-meet you. There are a few BHPians from Kannur! Maybe could do a mini meet once the pandemic is over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun yadav View Post
it looks like an auto has also toppled in the melee..
Yep, there's an auto stand at the exact spot. Just hoping there was nobody inside it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satish Pari View Post
Just saw news stating that one of the two wheeler occupants which was hit by a Creta a few days ago on the Salem highway has passed away. Apparently he did not respond to the treatment. May his soul rest in peace.
RIP! It's so disheartening to hear someone pay for no mistake of theirs.
logicalidiot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 11:22   #33215
Senior - BHPian

One positive aspect is there is a significant reduction in riders/drivers using the horn in traffic.
Fewer and fewer people are honking and the roads are quieter, atleast in Bangalore.

Have anyone else observed this trend in recent times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalidiot View Post
..... I wonder when the driving conditions in India will improve...
Strict enforcement of rules and driving license holder's clear awareness of all rules and safety aspects is the key to achieve this. Very much doable if there is a strong will by any government.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 11:41   #33216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Well, off the top of my head I would say a complete revision and overhaul to the licensing system.

Secondly, I would say installing large stop signs, LED warning lights and convex mirrors at all corners is also a good idea.

Thirdly, an instant and automated fine, triggered by sensors, to anyone doing more than 10 km as they enter the junction.

I can think of many other alternatives as well. But certainly, speed breakers are never the answer.
In US, I have seen that at cross roads without traffic lights discipline is enforced via stop signs and they are either regularly patrolled by traffic cops, or by cameras. Rule is simple, who reached the light second yields to let the other driver cross first.

And this thing works. They make sure that it works. It also needs that the cross roads are well designed, not encroached upon and backed by strong education. For passing your driving test you need to know all these rules.

//start rant// It wont work in India, not because India is a unique country or Indians are unique, but for the simple reason that it needs discipline, discipline to design cross roads, discipline to monitor & enforce adherence to rules on the part of law enforcement, discipline to adhere to rules on the side of users, and I can go on and on. //end rant//
Sanjunair5 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 13:35   #33217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satish Pari View Post
Salem Highway Creta Hit & Run
RIP and Prayers for the rider
The drunken gang in the Creta should be tried on manslaughter charges and rot in Jail for atleast 20years for DUI, Overspeeding and reckless driving and finally Hit and Run. Hope they never come out
venbas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 13:44   #33218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
One positive aspect is there is a significant reduction in riders/drivers using the horn in traffic.
Fewer and fewer people are honking and the roads are quieter, atleast in Bangalore.

Have anyone else observed this trend in recent times?
No, I've not observed this. The unrestricted unrestrained honking goes on. And it's all wheelers. Imagine this... 6 am quiet residential roads (80 ft Indiranagar) I'm on my cycle riding on the left of a divided road and scooters /motorcycle riders give me a blast every time they approach from behind me.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 15:11   #33219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
No, I've not observed this. The unrestricted unrestrained honking goes on. And it's all wheelers. Imagine this... 6 am quiet residential roads (80 ft Indiranagar) I'm on my cycle riding on the left of a divided road and scooters /motorcycle riders give me a blast every time they approach from behind me.
Just like car drivers are wary of motorcyclists, motorcyclists are wary of cyclists!
Old 31st July 2021, 15:51   #33220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
I'm on my cycle riding on the left of a divided road and scooters /motorcycle riders give me a blast every time they approach from behind me.
As a cyclist myself, am fine with the honking which let me know there are vehicles approaching from behind rather than cars moving with 3 digit speeds closely. As a hit and run victim during cycling, which reduced mobility of one hand and couple of other injuries, am fine with that honk. As long as there are no cycle tracks and smooth roads, I think that honk is very useful

Last edited by greyhound82 : 31st July 2021 at 15:55.
greyhound82 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 17:25   #33221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
As a cyclist myself, am fine with the honking which let me know there are vehicles approaching from behind rather than cars moving with 3 digit speeds closely. l
When I overtake a car or motorcycle, I keep my distance and then move over to overtake a good distance from them. This gives them a chance to see me in their rear view mirrors and make them aware of my intentions.

This way I can retreat safely if I see danger ahead of me.

Driving very close to the car in front and then changing lanes to overtake is very dangerous. You have only been looking at his brake lights and not for approaching vehicles. Keeping too close will not give you a clear view ahead of the car in front.

Last edited by Indian2003 : 31st July 2021 at 17:26. Reason: Typo
Old 31st July 2021, 17:47   #33222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
When I overtake a car or motorcycle, I keep my distance and then move over to overtake a good distance from them. This gives them a chance to see me in their rear view mirrors and make them aware of my intentions.

This way I can retreat safely if I see danger ahead of me.
During cycling in NH/SH, one of the major problem will be sharp edges on the left side of the road, potholes, obstructions like a medium sized stones, debris, varying width of road etc which initiates a sudden manoeuvre from a cyclist going at 25-35kmph. This will make a close overtaking by another vehicle a bit dangerous for the cyclist

Hardly cycles come with rearview mirror as a standard fitment. Mounting one on handle bar is sometimes a major DIY where we have to cut a portion of handle bar grips. Another option is helmet mounting rearview mirrors.
Old 31st July 2021, 18:22   #33223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjunair5 View Post
Rule is simple, who reached the light second yields to let the other driver cross first.
That sounds far from simple to me! When you get there is too late to decide who arrived first.

UK system is simple. One road is the main road, and vehicles on it (or turning off it) have priority over those crossing or joining. The "main" road may or may not have a centre line. The joining roads have either stop lines or give-way lines/markings/signs (it's easy to know the difference and what is expected).

But, as we keep telling each other, any of this only works where drivers have the discipline to obey the signs, lines and rules.

In our dreams!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 31st July 2021 at 21:48. Reason: As requested
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 20:04   #33224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalidiot View Post
Yeah, I agree this junction may not be identifiable 100-150m away but certainly you'll be able to stop in time unless one's doing above average speeds.
In the parts of Kerala that I drive often, even minor junctions are usually signposted well in advance. Is it not the case here?
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 07:26   #33225
BHPian

Neither the UK system nor the US system works well here. The US system of whoever reaches the intersection first, has the right of way does not work well even in the US. I have seen people crash because of failing to realise they were not the first to reach the intersection.

Now, applying this on our Indian roads with our egocentric bigots, it will be worse than current situation.

The UK system works well. But, in our country, it is difficult to differentiate a main road from a sub-road. I have seen roads leading to the main road wider and well maintained than the main road itself.

A better approach would be ‘left over right’ the vehicle that approaches the intersection from the left has the right of way. Always. Works remarkably well and you don’t need to worry who came first to the intersection or if you are on the main road, side-road, etc.

Most Viewed