Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2021, 11:16   #33256
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
This person was a teacher, and out for exam duty.
As per reports, was declared dead at admission at a hospital nearby.
Arun yadav is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 11:21   #33257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpat17 View Post
Why on earth people cross road while talking on a phone is beyond me.

One should be absolutely focussed on oncoming traffic from both the sides.

Please, beware of such people. They are more unpredictable than roadside stray animals.
Spot on! If jaywalking is penalized in India as heavily as its done in the developed world, the authorities will mop up enough revenue to fund a govt built network of EV charging stations across all tier 1 cities!
TDCi4Life is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 11:34   #33258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Target Fixation
One thing I did not understand, after walking that far (if he had continued, he would have easily missed that car), why did he come back and then started making a move at the last minute?
I know, that person is no longer there to answer these questions, but I am still wondering what made him to make this move back and forth?
kavensri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 12:15   #33259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
One thing I did not understand, after walking that far (if he had continued, he would have easily missed that car), why did he come back and then started making a move at the last minute?
I know, that person is no longer there to answer these questions, but I am still wondering what made him to make this move back and forth?
Just speculating here, but the only plausable reason is the most obvious one - when the mind is pre-occupied with the mobile phone while walking/driving/any other task, it doesn't have the bandwidth to make split-second reflexive decisions.
This is the same reason why even the most seasoned drivers can cause an accident, if their mind is pre-occupied with their phones while driving and they have to react in an instant, which is otherwise possible when not pre-occupied on the phone.
TDCi4Life is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 16:47   #33260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Would like to seek the comments of the members on this situation, a traumatic experience for the car driver IMO. Such a reckless parenting also needs to be strictly dealt by the law is what I believe.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=FbBdRygxTCQ
Buddy this needs triggering content warning. I have a son of the kid's age and things like this literally gives me nightmares. Of course, I never let him to be in this kind of scenario but still I have shivers in my spine right now. No offense meant.
Mountainman21 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 17:28   #33261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainman21 View Post
Buddy this needs triggering content warning. I have a son of the kid's age and things like this literally gives me nightmares. Of course, I never let him to be in this kind of scenario but still I have shivers in my spine right now. No offense meant.
I had mentioned. Maybe you should report the post, as the OP won't be able to edit, but the mods could.

These days, I find I don't have the stomach for a lot of the stuff I would once have watched on this thread.

I always slow for, and watch like a hawk, any children on or near the road anyway. But doing just that, a couple of days ago, also thought of this video. Didn't want to watch it, but it is not a bad reminder. I never take for granted what a child may do. They have the attention span of a gnat, and maybe walking quietly one minute and making a dash for something that caught their eye the next.

I think I've mentioned that I was beaten, when I was a child, for running across a pedestrian crossing without stopping to look. The beating worked, along with the rhyme that my dad taught me and I've never forgotten*. I was older than the kid in this video. I guess seeing this video would have been pretty powerful. But then, only a parent can know what is appropriate for their child at what age. Of course, we didn't even have the word video back then.

*I said I was right, because, pedestrian crossing. Dad said, He was right, dead right, as he toddled along, but he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 6th August 2021 at 17:31.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 19:56   #33262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Witnessed an accident right in front of my home, on NH66 a few hours back. I was home for Bakrid leave when I heard a loud bang and screams.
Quote:
Yet another accident in front of my home on NH66. Happened around 9AM today morning. The NH section here is kinda wide 'C' shaped with both bends being almost blind. We are used to hearing tyres screeching on a daily basis as people take the blind curve way too fast and end up standing on their brakes. As usual, heard screeching, but it was followed by a loud crash and a thud.
Quote:
Yup. This is an NH. And believe me this is one of the wider sections around here! There are places where two buses cant pass simultaneously.
The biker was tailing the Duster and nearly crashed into it. He was there to vent HIS anger!
Just outside Thalassery, along the Thalassery-Mahe stretch.
This kind of behaviour is usually exhibited by bikers. They tail bigger vehicles looking for an opportunity to overtake. This guy may have graduated from 2 wheeler. Old habits
And now once again, our road has claimed yet another vehicle, this time at night amidst heavy rains. This happened last night.

Just when the rain stopped and the winds stopped blowing, a loud continued screeching noise and a sudden bang followed by violent rustling of leaves made us drop everything and run:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20210805wa0020.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20210805wa0013.jpg

The following day showed the extent of the damage done to our neighbor's wall. And by "damage", I mean total collapse:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20210806wa0014.jpg

Since it was raining a bit and a crowd started gathering, we couldn't reach there and find out exactly what had happened.

Speeding vehicles getting caught in the midst of an overtaking manoeuvre is indeed a common sight here. We've seen quite a lot of near misses and close shaves over the years, and I believe that's what has happened. The rain and the questionably illuminated narrow road didn't help either.

Sure enough, a massive traffic jam erupted within minutes which meant the recovery van as well as the local authorities couldn't show up for atleast 30 minutes after the incident. Mercifully the flow of traffic was back in as soon as the wrecked Brezza was towed away. The driver was thankfully not hurt, and nor was anyone in the vicinity.

Children used to play around even during late hours near that very wall. It's such a miracle indeed.
GipsyDanger is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 22:01   #33263

This accident happened to me on 3rd July in Kuttikkanam, Kerala (NH183). I was returning from Ford after my 20K Service and it was a rainy day. An "Ashok Leyland Dhosth" lost its control in a curve and hit my car from Right Side.

I and my cousin were there in the car at the time of accident. Both of us were wearing Seat belts and came out without any scratch.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-toupload.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-toupload2.jpg
m_sobin is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 23:03   #33264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sobin View Post
I and my cousin were there in the car at the time of accident. Both of us were wearing Seat belts and came out without any scratch.
Thank God that no one was injured. Aquaplaning is a big risk during rains. Add to that balding tires, speed, and sudden direction change we get a perfect recipe for losing control.

Hope that your car gets repaired quickly.

Regards,
lsjey
lsjey is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 00:19   #33265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This accident happened to me on 3rd July ...
Very sad to see. Doesn't look like there is much water: the other guy going too fast and skidding. People who can't drive on wet roads shouldn't be on any road.

Glad you were ok.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 02:38   #33266
BHPian

Quote:
This accident happened to me on 3rd July in Kuttikkanam, Kerala (NH183). I and my cousin were there in the car at the time of accident. Both of us were wearing Seat belts and came out without any scratches.
Glad to know both of you escaped unhurt. Not much damage sustained to the minivan it seems? Can't see much water on the road, unless there was some fuel spill earlier.

The EcoSport is a solid car that way. Hope the insurance work gets the repairs done quickly. Take care.

Last edited by IamNikhil : 12th August 2021 at 02:39.
IamNikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 10:14   #33267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think I've mentioned that I was beaten, when I was a child, for running across a pedestrian crossing without stopping to look. The beating worked, along with the rhyme that my dad taught me and I've never forgotten[/i]
Same haha. I was thrashed black&blue when I was 3/4 for disorderly conduct around busy roads. Remember the thrashing very vividly.

And I hardly cross 2nd gear in the bylanes of cities anymore these days. Maybe 3rd in a fenced off flyover or policed mainroad. There are way too many unattended kids, young boys on zippy scooters and unmindful pedestrians on cellphones. It sure does cost me a lot of fuel staying in lower gears, but definitely saves me from the potential ptsd of killing someone unintentionally, especially since I've had quite a few close calls after the pandemic.

Take it with a pinch of salt since it's my personal anecdote, I don't know if it was something related to pandemic-induced empty roads playing in the minds of people who do dumb stuff or not, but road discipline has really gone for a toss after 2020.
stallmaster is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 12:41   #33268
Senior - BHPian

5 Of Family Killed As Car Rams Stationary Truck In UP, 1 Critical - UP, Basti

Source: NDTV

Quote:
Five people have died after their car rammed into a stationary truck in eastern Uttar Pradesh this morning on a national highway.

Two passengers have survived the car crash that took place in Basti district. One among them is critical, officials said.

"There were seven people in the car. Five died on the spot while the two, the driver and a little girl, are majorly injured. We rushed them to the hospital. The girl is safe but the driver's condition is quite serious," the police official was quoted

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident.jpg
The truck seems to parked off the road. Not sure if the driver lost control or overtaking maneuver (from left side) went wrong.
AutoNoob is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 13:02   #33269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
5 Of Family Killed As Car Rams Stationary Truck In UP, 1 Critical - UP, Basti
Quite tragic. The car seems to be a Maruti SX4.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 13:15   #33270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
[b]
The truck seems to parked off the road.
In one of the videos online it shows the truck in an angle with an intent to get on to the road. Not sure if that happened due to the impact or the truck was really getting on to the road and the car went underneath it. A side under run protection, if there was one, could have reduced the fatalities at least.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-basti.jpg

Last edited by balenoed_ : 12th August 2021 at 13:17.
balenoed_ is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks