Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2021, 19:31   #33901
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Looks like the driver of the polo panicked after finding an auto beside him and mixed up the brake pedal with the accelerator. The polo goes on to hit the median and flip!
To the good fortune of everyone else involved, the polo did its antics just after the speed breaker.
Good point. Had it not been after a speed bump, the consequences could've been worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Biker was so lucky. Literally was sandwiched between car and auto. Luckily escaped with some injury to leg. Auto driver was in complete daze and took him few moments to realize what's happening.

I think Polo guy mistakingly pressed accelerator instead of brake.
It wasn't a guy but a girl. She was learning to drive with her partner. I think the Polo might've been an automatic. If one doesn't know anything about how the accelerator pedal responds, I could see an auto car being disastrous to learn on for a complete noob. A heavier dab than ideal and the car can upshift and hit higher speeds than on the 1st gear of a manual car. A TSI would also explain the speed pickup.

Overall, the lesson here is to not teach someone driving in traffic until they have developed full control over the car itself on empty roads.
RoadMonkey is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 20:00   #33902
BHPian

Person thrown out of the car highlighting the importance of wearing Seat Belts

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-thrown.jpg

Sarvodaya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 21:23   #33903
BHPian

Mods: Back to Back post. Please merge

Drive in Customer (click on the link to open the video)

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-drivein.jpg

Sarvodaya is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 21:32   #33904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
It seems two adults and a child was thrown out.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20211103213108_firefox.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20211103212540_firefox.png

Also, vehicle hit the median and veered towards left. The driver over-corrected it and toppled the vehicle. These two posts remind how easy is to topple a vehicle, whether high (Innova?? in this case) or low slung hatch (Polo in earlier post).
AutoNoob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 22:38   #33905
BHPian

Quote:
Mods: Back to Back post. Please merge

Drive in Customer (click on the link to open the video)
The perils of kick starting while giving accelerator input on old bikes! The person just didn't let his right hand go. Important to note, most people do it by keeping neutral position of hand = zero accelerator and then pushing it if needed, rather than gripping in a way to give it max acceleration in neutral hand position.

That and, clutch while starting! Everybody leaves their vehicles in gear from time to time.

Last edited by bblost : 4th November 2021 at 00:51. Reason: removed embedded media in quoted post.
RoadMonkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 11:07   #33906
BHPian

Quote:
Case of severe over correction by the driver. The car almost changed direction through a right angle instantly. This is not even a case of tripped rollover(usually vehicles slide and trip on the kerb or median). The lateral acceleration was so high and tyre grip so good that the Innova just rolled over.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 5th November 2021 at 12:57. Reason: video link removed from quote
Old 4th November 2021, 15:44   #33907
BHPian

Quote:

And also the importance of car seats/child seats. Both the occupants who were thrown away are extremely lucky not to land on their heads or have the car roll over them. I believe that the occupant who got ejected through the backlight before the median and impacted a pole may not be so lucky.

On a side note: The road marking at that intersection is a work of art. A box junction, that is not even required at such a location, is made on top of the lane lines that were present earlier. Even the lane lines have not been made correctly. Any idea where is this crash from?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 5th November 2021 at 12:57. Reason: video link removed from quote
Rohan265 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 20:10   #33908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabear View Post
Sorry, it is always 100% rear guy's fault. No need for the 1% doubt. It is the rear guys responsibility to maintain proper stopping distance between cars. That is one rule always I hear when I drive out of India (not even sure if we have this in the rule book) and it just saves so much argument as to why the brakes were applied suddenly.
Recently, my car was rear ended by a State road transport bus in my hometown(I was driving from Bangalore and had just reached the town), while traveling at 5 km/hr. A biker tried to cut across my car and hit my front bumper, so I braked to avoid running over him. The bus conductor kept insisting that I was to blame because I braked to save the biker's life . As I was arguing with them, a traffic cop came and told me that he heard "I braked" and that was the cause of the accident. Luckily, no one was hurt, so I didn't spend too much time arguing with them and left the spot. The boot had to be replaced and the repairs cost around 95K.
I did have a dashcam but it was just the front, so now I realize that I need a rear cam as well, although not sure how much that would help with these idiots .

Last edited by Newpunter : 4th November 2021 at 20:10. Reason: Fixed spelling errors
Newpunter is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 20:32   #33909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Recently, my car was rear ended by a State road transport bus in my hometown(I was driving from Bangalore and had just reached the town), while traveling at 5 km/hr. A biker tried to cut across my car and hit my front bumper, so I braked to avoid running over him. The bus conductor kept insisting that I was to blame because I braked to save the biker's life . As I was arguing with them, a traffic cop came and told me that he heard "I braked" and that was the cause of the accident. Luckily, no one was hurt, so I didn't spend too much time arguing with them and left the spot. The boot had to be replaced and the repairs cost around 95K.
I did have a dashcam but it was just the front, so now I realize that I need a rear cam as well, although not sure how much that would help with these idiots .
That is one of my urban nightmares. With the City buses in Chennai(and possibly in other cities as well) driven the way they are, I dread for the worst especially at signals if I have to be the first car to stop. The MTC buses do not bother if the red has just turned ON. Have had quite a few close calls of screeching MTC brakes behind me and getting honked/cursed for stopping when signal has just turned red

If on a bike I consciously move to a lane where there are vehicles behind me and watch behind my back for sometime.

Last edited by venbas : 4th November 2021 at 20:35. Reason: Typos
venbas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 21:00   #33910
BHPian

No comments

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-drink.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-drink_01.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-drink_02.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...92060894393366
Sarvodaya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 21:40   #33911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Sorry to hear but good news is all safe. With state transport does not matter if you are the the front or back, you will always be at the receiving end.
pandabear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 11:39   #33912
BHPian

Somewhere in Tamil Nadu, a father and son found a box of fire crackers for Diwali, which they took, and on the way back, it exploded killing them both. Wonder whether it was some explosives instead of fire crackers. RIP.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 5th November 2021 at 13:13. Reason: removed "maybe due to getting something free". There's no such report we could see.
sparky@home is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 11:51   #33913
BHPian

Oh my God. That's horrifying.
AnandB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 12:55   #33914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
Somewhere in Tamil Nadu, a father and son **************** and on the way back, it exploded killing them both. Wonder whether it was some explosives instead of fire crackers. RIP.
Maybe am being over sensitive after seeing the video and how unfortunate the incident is for the family
(The same newspaper is running multiple pages giving multiple perspective of the cause)

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 5th November 2021 at 13:14. Reason: quoted post edited
Old 5th November 2021, 14:44   #33915
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
... Wonder whether it was some explosives instead of fire crackers. RIP.
Fire crackers are explosives.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks