Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2021, 09:48   #34006
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravansp24 View Post
Both of the motorcycles are R15 v3(yellow one is wrapped probably) and as a fellow R15 owner, I can say that there's nothing additionally modified with the motorcycle itself.
Now I need to clarify - What I was talking about is a similar incident in which my car is involved. A hero honda splendor hit my Fortuner near left rear wheel and the rider fall off but not the bike!
FORTified is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 10:59   #34007
Senior - BHPian

Vehicle jumping divider and coming to the opposite side is my worst driving nightmare. Our authorities need to work on preventing this kind of accidents by properly designing dividers.

3 persons killed, 2 injured as SUV rams into cab on Bengaluru airport road.

Quote:
The BTP police revealed to DH that a Mahindra XUV car coming towards Bengaluru crossed over the divider after losing control and rammed into a cab going towards the Kempegowda International Airport (KIA). "Due to the impact, the cab was fully damaged and all the three persons travelling in the cab died on the spot including a woman. The two people who were in the XUV also suffered injuries and the locals have admitted them to the hospital," explained DCP Traffic (North)
airbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 11:12   #34008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venbas View Post

3. I can't understand how there can be OPEN agricultural farm wells so close to the National Highways. Wouldn't the NHAI/Authorities be responsible for acquiring and foolproofing lands adjacent to National Highways to ensure safe drive. At the very minimum the land owners should be tasked/made to cover the Wells or add protective barriers.
That well must be existing for ages. The highway came up adjacent to it. That well being there is not the problem. If it weren't there, the SUV would have hit the HARD ground. Isn't it? The well water might have cushioned the impact a bit. You never know.
Quote:

While other nations are moving towards safer road design and safer vehicles only we seem to be stuck in "Ill Fated" and "Act of God" theories
I beg to differ. Indian highways have come a very long way and are in very good condition. It is the nut behind the wheel that stopped in the stone age. No matter how many crash resistant barriers you construct and how many signboards you put, nut will be a nut

As we can not fix the nut, the easy way out that the authorities take is to put a speed breakers, even on highways.
FORTified is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 12:21   #34009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venbas View Post
Another Tragic Incident of an SUV plunging off a flyover into an Open well near Dharmapuri on the Bengaluru National

Here is the live video of this incident. IMO, the Bolero has aqua planned and the deceased driver couldn't control the speed and the direction.

Well had 60 ft water and all that has been pumped out to pull the jeep and deceased out.

Last edited by saisree : 19th November 2021 at 12:23.
saisree is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 12:49   #34010

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravansp24 View Post
Both of the motorcycles are R15 v3(yellow one is wrapped probably) and as a fellow R15 owner, I can say that there's nothing additionally modified with the motorcycle itself.

The motorcycle has excellent aerodynamics, centre balance and a low center of gravity which at triple digit speeds would take a long while before the weak engine braking(no rider makes the situation worse as there's no one to apply the brakes and also overall lesser weight for the engine) slows down the motorcycle to under 35kmph(considering he's in 6th gear) for the engine to start lugging and lose control.

You can find many videos in YouTube where the rider falls off the motorcycle but the motorcycle stays on course. Example of a R15v2 : https://Youtu.be/CYmQvGkGO0M

There's a reason why the R15 is the called the best beginner supersport in India and the priciest in it's segment. Sheer engineering of the Japanese at it's finest
Motorcycles are banned on the Delhi-Gurgaon expressway. I was in a bumper to bumper traffic yesterday and bikers were still riding like crazy, trying to squeeze out every inch on the expressway.
MVij91 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 12:49   #34011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Vehicle jumping divider and coming to the opposite side is my worst driving nightmare. Our authorities need to work on preventing this kind of accidents by properly designing dividers.
Having travelled on Airport road during rains, I have a feeling the XUV would have hydroplaned and jumped the divider.
Either ways, the stretch is getting to be quite scary with the number of incidents of vehicles jumping over.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 13:28   #34012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
It's a dangerous place to be for outstation drivers not well versed with that location.

If you look at the slow motion video, it appears to be an overcorrection input rather than a deliberate attempt to hit the biker.
I dont think it still justifies a car cutting across 3 lanes without a blip of the indicator? Had there been a truck, the i20 would have had a different fate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Here is the live video of this incident. IMO, the Bolero has aqua planned and the deceased driver couldn't control the speed and the direction.

Well had 60 ft water and all that has been pumped out to pull the jeep and deceased out.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=92CR_MRr10M
Strange how the Bolero made an almost 90° turn from the highway and incredibly unfortunate that it skidded into the exact spot where the well was, narrowly missing the truck and multiple pillar-like structures nearby.
A couple of feet to the left or right, the occupants might have stayed alive albeit injured.
railfanwithk750 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 13:31   #34013
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by railfanwithk750 View Post
I dont think it still justifies a car cutting across 3 lanes without a blip of the indicator? Had there been a truck, the i20 would have had a different fate.
Agreed. But then no one does an overcorrection after giving an indicator.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 13:38   #34014
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by railfanwithk750 View Post
Strange how the Bolero made an almost 90° turn from the highway and incredibly unfortunate that it skidded into the exact spot where the well was, narrowly missing the truck and multiple pillar-like structures nearby.
Probably the driver tried to skip the truck and pillar structures and aim for the 'empty space' - he probably would have had no idea of the well unfortunately.

Although I wonder if the white car in front of the Bolero changing lanes might have caused the shift in direction before he lost control. That part of the road is not covered in the video unfortunately.

Anyway that's all speculations for now. May the souls RIP.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 14:15   #34015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Agreed. But then no one does an overcorrection after giving an indicator.
I do that stretch every weekend.
I am absolutely sure the i20 driver was trying to come into left lane so he can go to the side road towards Ambience mall. He didn't gave any indicator, biker was speeding and maybe in his blind spot as well, also after hitting the biker he didn't stop and took off. Classic case of hit and run and entire fault lies with him.
Old 19th November 2021, 14:21   #34016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVij91 View Post
Motorcycles are banned on the Delhi-Gurgaon expressway. I was in a bumper to bumper traffic yesterday and bikers were still riding like crazy, trying to squeeze out every inch on the expressway.
literally on every single roads!

Got my bumper paint peeled a bit near the front wheel because one guy from a market with ultra big bags hanging from the side squishing himself through the impossible gaps brushed my bumper in traffic
shravansp24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 16:15   #34017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
While morally you might...end up suffering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
This is a good gesture on your part and shows the maturity with...but one worth taking if possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawad0222 View Post
I have come to firmly believe that nothing affects a human being more than...So Good Job!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_torqueaddict View Post
That was really a humane gesture. Although I don't think I would have done the same...Nobody dared to question me on seeing the dashcam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by som9729 View Post
Best to get an accident damage report...starts acting up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
You are too nice.. Its not about the money...my car bleeds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
After reading your sad encounter...with no serious injuries to the bikers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
You are too nice, fordfreak...it could be someone in a scooter or bike with their family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFreedom View Post
Even though you had an unpleasant experience...from being who we are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
A sign of the times, that...instead of the usual (well-warranted) cynicism?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkat_Figo View Post
You are a good...in their lives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1991 View Post
@fordfreak what you did was mighty good...add to your car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
So someone else ran...& filed a complaint against those riders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skroychowdhury View Post
It's really commendable that you decided to pay for the TV. But who's insurance is paying for the repairs?
Wow! I definitely did not expect such a massive response to my post. Thank you to each and every one, who took the time to reply and to share their views.

I agree with and respect both opinions which have been shared through the replies – ‘I did something good in compensating the offender’ & ‘I should not have compensated the offender’.

I’d like to provide a bit more context behind my decision. My decision was not solely based on the individual’s socio-economic background / status.

Accidents / mistakes / silly decisions happen. In my book, it is important to judge a person on how they behave / react after committing a mistake.
There are those that own up and accept their fault, and then there are those that will never own up to their mistake no matter how much evidence you present with them. The latter category of folks will never learn their lesson and will continue to be a danger to themselves + other road users.

Now, why did I compensate the biker even though he was at fault? – He was a well-mannered, level headed person who clearly understood (and accepted) his mistake. During the course of our conversation, it was evident to me that he seemed to have learnt his lesson. He was more worried about what his employer would say about the destroyed TV, than his wounds.

Had he tried blaming me / defending his actions, I would not have been so sympathetic.

I respect the opinions of those that disagree with me as well, as they aren’t completely wrong. It is unfortunately true, that there are individuals in our society that will never learn a lesson / take advantage of a good deed, etc. I did what I thought was correct and without any intention of encouraging further reckless behavior. Apart from this, I also took all legal appropriate steps to protect myself should the biker try any tricks in the future.

Once again, thank you to the amazing Team BHP family for all the messages and advice! If I have missed replying to anyone / if anyone has any further questions, please feel free to DM me.

Update on my car – My claim has been approved and the car should hopefully be back with me by the first week of December. We are currently waiting for all the parts to arrive to allow the repair to begin. And yes, I am planning on getting dash-cams installed on all our cars.

(Mods – Apologies, if I have ventured too far off-topic.)
fordfreak is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 12:31   #34018
BHPian

Accident in Bangalore Outer Ring Road (near Rainbow Children's Hospital) today morning. I was wondering what happened and then I saw the Mini Truck.

drivingme.crazy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 12:58   #34019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post

Now, why did I compensate the biker even though he was at fault?– He was a well-mannered, level headed person who clearly understood (and accepted) his mistake. During the course of our conversation, it was evident to me that he seemed to have learnt his lesson. He was more worried about what his employer would say about the destroyed TV, than his wounds.
Oh Wow!. I really love this and it is evident that, we still have HUMANS on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingme.crazy View Post
Accident in Bangalore Outer Ring Road (near Rainbow Children's Hospital) today morning. I was wondering what happened and then I saw the Mini Truck.
A fast turn and a roll over?

Last edited by saisree : 20th November 2021 at 13:01.
saisree is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 11:07   #34020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Hit and run case in Madhapur, Hyderabad

An over speeding honda city driver hits a cyclist and escapes from the accident spot. From the video, it looks like the cyclist suffered severe spinal injury.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=hsba1jxvG8c
I find it pretty incredulous that some BHPians believe the cyclist is at fault. Two points:
1. The cyclist has the right to ride away from the left edge in case of an obstruction. For quite a distance, he was riding in a straight path and did not suddenly veer into the path of the car.
2. The driver of the Honda City was attempting a dangerous, illegal, and highly risky overtaking maneuver.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 21st November 2021 at 11:08.
landcruiser123 is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks