Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2021, 09:43   #34231
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lucan View Post
Let me break an alternate version for you.

This incident with the doctor happened on a 4 lane express way with a divider in-between.

1. Slow moving Vehicle on the right lane is ahead and hogging the right lane.
2. Vehicle on the left lane is behind, traveling at a higher speed and has started overtaking the vehicle ahead.
3. At nearly the end of the overtaking maneuver, the vehicle on the right lane veers to the left lane sharply.
:
Quite possible.

Veering to the left may or may not have been deliberate. Vehicles have a tendency to veer to the left when the driver takes his right hand off the steering wheel to pick up a ringing phone (no Bluetooth in buses) or to grab a waterbottle to have a sip on the go. These should be strictly discouraged and penalised by the transport authorities.

I am seeing some prejudiced/judgemental comments here to the tune of "he is a doctor, he should have shown more restraint" "one of the highest paid professions" and so on. To set the records straight, he is a human, a scientific professional, a taxpayer and a family man, and not some ascetic recluse sitting on a hilltop, who is expected to be a graceful loser when confronting everyone else, either in or out of his workplace. He has the same rights to react to situations as you and me. Period.
And doctors are not highly paid in India, for the amount of intelligence, hardwork, stress tolerance and commitment they bring to the table. They are just paid a pittance compared to other jobs.

Rgds.

Last edited by Geta : 23rd December 2021 at 09:49.
Geta is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 10:05   #34232
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I'll stand by the driving comment.
You shouldn't, IMHO.
If you say "do not overtake from the left lane of a 2L highway" - it's living life in utopia. On our roads, the slowest vehicles occuppy the fast lane, we are left with no choice.
Will your driving comment remain the same if the bus who was in left lane pulled into the right lane in the exact mirror-image manner, with no obstacle in front of him ?
The bugger bus driver didn't use his mirrors. As simply as that. There is no reason to attach blame to the OP.

Last edited by venkyhere : 23rd December 2021 at 10:08.
venkyhere is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 10:28   #34233
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
You shouldn't, IMHO...
I would, and it's nothing to do with the vehicle being passed, nor with the side it's being passed from. We've all passed vehicles on the left on the highway, it's an unfortunate reality of life on Indian roads.

I would never overtake anyone, side notwithstanding, without ensuring they're aware of my presence, esp. for a large vehicle with huge blindspots. Even more so if I'm doing it on a piece of road I can be run off of with little room for error, as was the case in the OP's video.

I was brought up in a 'if you make a move, it's upto you to make it stick safely' school of driving, and I stand by it.

Of course there's always mutual trust involved in sharing a road with others, but I wouldn't stretch it to those who might not even be aware of my presence until I have to slam the horn and brakes.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 11:45   #34234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I wouldn't stretch it to those who might not even be aware of my presence until I have to slam the horn and brakes.
Truer words cannot be said. I would also add that it's safer to drive with an assumption that every other vehicle is driven by an idiot and a maniac with a mission to make life hell for us, and it's better to be on the safer side (pun intended) than scramble for space during a surprise move.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 12:01   #34235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
I don't want to blanket blame the TNSTC drivers as I have seen some good souls who seem to be the only ones who actually allows to overtake on a highway. There are always bad apples out there like you encountered here. Relatively they are a better bunch than their private counterparts who drive like there is no tomorrow and stop anywhere.
Sir, I suggest you travel from Namakkal to Trichy. Its a single road with two way traffic. The road is terrible and the bus drivers (be it private or State Transport) are a reckless lot. They creep up on you near the road hump and irrespective of what's ahead want to overtake you. I've had my share of issues with buses regularly. In comparison, the lorry/truck drivers seem to be better. Rgds.
Bsimhan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 12:10   #34236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would never overtake anyone, side notwithstanding, without ensuring they're aware of my presence, esp. for a large vehicle with huge blindspots. Even more so if I'm doing it on a piece of road I can be run off of with little room for error, as was the case in the OP's video.
Yes. Never ever surprise the other driver. I always honk or flash my headlights to let the other driver know I'm there if my intention is to overtake him/her.
samaspire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 12:49   #34237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would never overtake anyone, side notwithstanding, without ensuring they're aware of my presence, esp. for a large vehicle with huge blindspots.

I always wondered why cargo vehicles like Tata Ace, or similar don't seem to give two hoots about anyone coming from behind from any side until I sat in one recently while carrying garden soil home.

There are two issues.

a) They genuinely don't care. If scuff happens, they are ready to fight. Scratches matter to us, not to them. And almost all are seasoned warriors driving one of the fleet vehicles of someone else.
b) Most of these vehicles have custom bodies built extending 6-8-10 inches that completely block their ORVM. Only thing they see is their own cargo area. I am sure larger trucks have even wider bodies. The one I sat in (Ace) had 8~ inches extending on both sides behind the cabin doors. I could only see a thin stripe of actual rear view in the mirror! I guess Ashok Leyland Dost has extension arms for ORVMs which might help.

I asked the driver how do you manage and he said if absolutely needed he adjusts his sitting position/neck to get some more rear view or mostly just leaves it on others on the road to fend for themselves - basically, be aware and assume that these guys don't see you, willingly or unwillingly.

So, always honk if you don't want surprises. And if in rare situation these guys have indicators on, never squeeze in from same side.
amol4184 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 13:23   #34238

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstreakcbe View Post
Do we have a mechanism to report such incidents, Not really. All you can do is call the depot manager and complain, but all they will do is will say noted and nothing happens.
I believe we should have a governing body that regulates all public and utility vehicles, that goes after these hoonigans e.g. I just returned to India after a 12 year stint in a SE Asian country and there they have a branch of department of transport where you can report these type of incidents and they go after the driver's license and in extreme situations fine the transport company. They govern all public utility vehicles, from Taxi's to Trucks including the likes of Ola/Uber. All public utility vehicles have the mandatory "How's my driving" In cities they have CCTV's to come to quick resolution in rural areas with enough complaints traffic officers are tasked to it.

We all should write to Ministry of Road Transport and Highways to initiate this department and your local government as well.

I know this is a long shot but I for one would rather come up solutions than rant and live with yeh to chalta hai attitude
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-120510-hows-my-driving-.jpg  

akash_p_shetty is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 13:39   #34239
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lucan View Post
I am attaching a similar sample incident below, luckily for me it happened just when I was about to pass the bus hence I was able to brake and recover. Irrespective of which ever theory is true, the bus driver should be booked for murder of Dr. Karthikeyan.
I differ here, sir. One should not overtake on the left lane at any cost (even though the bus is on the right lane for miles !!!).

From Ulundurpet to Salem there is a combination of two and four lanes. The two lanes are now separated with road cones (highway cones) especially to avoid haphazard overtaking. To my surprise, one gentleman on his Jeep Compass overtook me on the left and I was able to look at the mirror (Left OVRM)and allow him.

Normally we veer the vehicle to the left (an instinct action by all) in case of any emergency or to avoid potholes etc... and the left lane should be always free. We have cultivated this wrong habit after driving on the 4 lane highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
You shouldn't, IMHO.
If you say "do not overtake from the left lane of a 2L highway" - it's living life in utopia. On our roads, the slowest vehicles occupy the fast lane, we are left with no choice.
In a 2L highway, there is no concept of a fast or slow lane. It is never advisable to overtake on the left and the reason is the vehicle that goes in front has the priority to come to the left lane at all times.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd December 2021 at 13:47. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 23rd December 2021, 14:48   #34240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
In a 2L highway, there is no concept of a fast or slow lane. It is never advisable to overtake on the left and the reason is the vehicle that goes in front has the priority to come to the left lane at all times.
You are right about there not being the concept of a slow or fast lane on a two lane highway, but as long as there is a left lane and a right lane or an inside lane and an outside lane, automatically the outside lane becomes the passing lane. Unfortunately people in India severely lack this understanding and simply cruise mostly below the speed limit in the outside lane
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 16:10   #34241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My guess is that the XUV700 driver would have been confused which lane to take and probably swerved at the end.
When confused about the route or after missing a turn or an exit, the better thing to do would be to pull over at a safe spot. Then, one can check whether the navigation app has re-routed for the destination. Else, one can seek help from other motorists or locals regarding the route.

It does not matter if it costs a few additional kms or a few additional minutes.

Quote:
I would never overtake anyone, side notwithstanding, without ensuring they're aware of my presence, esp. for a large vehicle with huge blindspots.
I have seen some drivers who wait till they are sure that I am aware of them before passing ahead of me. Even when I am driving steadily on one lane, and there are no other vehicles. It is a rare thing, though, to see such drivers.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 19:46   #34242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Well, TNSTC bus drivers are arrogant. Here is my sample from today

https://Youtu.be/2uvxGg1SRb4
Wow, the place where the bus was all over the place, is exactly where I live.

That exact spot is haunted. Pretty sure it is.

There's a tire puncture repair shop at this exact spot and I can hear and see tyres bursting just a few meters before this shop. Every day. At least one every day.

And at least one fatal accident every week. I have called ambulance personally, for the injured, at least once every month on this exact same spot.

And this is the road I drive every single freaking day. Imagine my plight.

This was a highway designed to carry one vehicle in either direction every 5 minutes. It used to be farms on both sides till a few years ago. Now this section has exploded in population, but the road width remains the same. Where the road ends, you really can't go off-road if you are on a 2 wheeler. It's kinda steep and will most likely trip over. And so almost two wheelers hog a lane. Which is their right. The road belongs to a bike as much as a car or bus. And so, you are either stuck behind a two wheeler or a slow moving vehicle for a long time or you have to overtake. And as you can see, the bus was overtaking 3 lorries at a stretch. I must say you were fortune as there was space to get off the road. If it had been a little earlier, you would stuck between a bus and a row of trees to your left.

Sorry about the long post. Got excited seeing that exact spot.

Offtopic, what DashCam do you use. I'm planning to get one for the front and back with parking mode for my Red Rage and couldn't find a decent one. Mahindra plucked with excluding a dash cam in the XUV700 AXL
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 19:49   #34243
Senior - BHPian

My two cents. Never mess with a vehicle larger than that of your vehicle's size. It simply makes no sense. If you really want to make a point, please report the matter. Will action be taken or not is a different topic altogether. In Hyd, you should see how the city bus drives own the roads. My vehicle has all the safety features, it would still be badly battered even if an RTC bus were to scrape my car while overtaking.

The emotions run high but it is simply in good sense that we keep our calm and do not wear the rage on our sleeves. It is very frustrating but there is simply nothing that can be done. When nothing can be done or changed, it's best left to the situation and move on. I get very angry sometimes but I immediately remind myself that it will make no improvement to the situation. Your ego may be satisfied sometimes but that's it. Nothing more. Let's not try to act heroes in such situations. I really feel bad for the doc, a soul lost for no reason or cause. Very tragic.
Raghu M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 20:32   #34244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
Wow, the place where the bus was all over the place, is exactly where I live.
Now don't tell me that TN48BX red XUV700 is yours

I live 5 km away from that spot (No 1 Tollgate) and I have seen that gorgeous red XUV700 with lalgudi plates many times and thought to myself "Which guy in lalgudi got hold of an xuv700 so soon?"

I drive over that road, every day, too. One of my work places is beyond lalgudi.

My dashcam is a humble sjcam4000 wifi. I bought it as a helmet cam but it ended up being dash cam.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 08:33   #34245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
If ever, one has to chase and stop a bust to pick fight with the driver, be patient, trail the bus at a safe distance. Call up 100 or the highway police whatever number you can find, tell them the bus was being driven rashly, has hit a vehicle and running away , give the highway and direction of travel of bus. Let the cops do the stopping and then catch up to settle the score, if one is that serious.
Agree 100 percent. Off late when I see rash drivers in cars or idiots shooting instagram reels where the pillion stands on the footpeg of the back almost certainly without a helmet, I call the control room number and tell them the the location. At least 3 out 5 five times I see the culprits get detained at the next big signal.

Works very well and the satisfaction is far better than any yelling or lecture I can give.
harshaguduru is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks