Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2022, 21:47   #34336
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Regarding the grandi10 v/s Hexa "who blinks first" video :

The blame is shared

2. The grand i10 guy has not even attempted to brake.
Had to watch the video few more time to see if he brakes. I don't think the brake lights lite up even before the crash.
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 22:28   #34337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBlip View Post
My dad has a very interesting approach to such situations, he stops the car steadily (obviously talking care not being rear ended) in the middle of the lane such that the car attempting to overtake is forced to push back to his shoulder.
It would be a BIT ok if the goal was to ensure that there is enough room to manoeuvre on the left in case of a probable crash scenario, but it would still be adventurous driving rather than a cautious one. And slowing down and being on the move rather than stopping is a superior option as you can still make use of the steering wheel to exit stage left! Better to have a buffer to your left that you can tap into once the oncoming vehicle turns away to avoid you / OR NOT.
But again, what if it were a bigger vehicle bearing down on you from the opposite side?
As people pointed out, the best option would be to slow down ( not stop) and give enough space to avoid any sort of collision in the first place.
careind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 23:55   #34338
Distinguished - BHPian

Overtaking in the face of oncoming traffic: It is not the responsibility of the oncoming vehicle to brake and give way. It is not their fault if they don't.

But, in all practicality, not to do so could be risking one's life. Being alive is better than being right.

Sometimes, too, it is just nice. A cabbie pulled over to let me complete an overtake of a slow auto, recently. Yes, I pushed it, flashing my lights, which is not my normal style, but the cabbie understood the situation and gave way. And I gave him a friendly thank-you wave.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 08:44   #34339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
But, in all practicality, not to do so could be risking one's life. Being alive is better than being right.
Agree with your points but this also has a lot to do with the "road presence/look at me/ I am bigger than you/I can run you over" attitude displayed on the roads by the "SUV" crowd(talking of the irresponsible ones only and I don't expect any BHPian to display such behaviour). Sometimes there are miscalculations and that's when someone giving way helps save lives but unfortunately it has become the norm to "demand" right if way by the "bigger" cars.
Quite surprising us that the best behaved ones are the biggest, the truckers, the SRTC bus drivers in some states, and military vehicles.

Being used to Scorpios and Fortuners(the irresponsible ones, sadly a majority in my part of the roads) bullying people off the road, was shocked to see them all driving calmly in a straight line and then I saw the reason.
It was a mining area and their Dad's were around, i.e. the dumpers carrying coal.
We had a good laugh on seeing the bully toe the line for once.

Disclaimer : The statements above are targeted for the irresponsible idiots who think the bigger can bully people around and no statement targets or generalizes. If you're a bigger vehicle/SUV owner please empathize with others as sadly this is the reality of our roads.
Not to forget one of our safest drivers around used a Scorpio(SS-Traveller)
Not to forget rash drivers come in all shapes and sizes, no particular categorisation there.

Last edited by shancz : 3rd January 2022 at 08:52. Reason: dsc
shancz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 09:58   #34340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
No,the Aria was driving through the middle of the road, the main reason for the accident
In such cases if I was the i10 driver I would put on my headlights in blink mode and blare the horn at full stretch to indicate to the lane jumping moron to leave me alone. My wife hates the honking but in our lawless roads a good blast of a powerful horn is better than risking life and limb for the fault of another moron. Most of the times it puts sense into opposite party even if it's a truck. And yes I would have also taken my foot off the accelerator and be ready for last minute defensive maneuver unlike the i10!who just drove on.
venbas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 12:06   #34341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venbas View Post
My wife hates the honking but in our lawless roads a good blast of a powerful horn is better than risking life and limb for the fault of another moron. Most of the times it puts sense into opposite party even if it's a truck. And yes I would have also taken my foot off the accelerator and be ready for last minute defensive maneuver unlike the i10!who just drove on.
Horn does help sometime. Here is an example. I still had to get off from the tar road and stop my vehicle. Offending truck lost it's left ORVM due to this misadventure.

Last edited by airbus : 3rd January 2022 at 12:27. Reason: Grammer.
airbus is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 12:16   #34342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
A car, I suppose a grand i10 is pushed off the road by a SUV attempting to overtake another vehicle in the opposite direction. The driver loses control and bangs into another car following the SUV.
Did the driver of the grand i10 panic too early which caused him to veer off the road? This also shows how important it is to have properly leveled road shoulders on highways.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=MOkmmOFVxgI&t=55s

Credits to the original uploader on Youtube - Cyberabad Traffic Police.
Wouldn't judge who is at fault and who is not but i10 guy could have easily avoided the accident had he slowed down a bit after seeing SUV going for overtake.
n33rav is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 12:44   #34343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
... Also, the importance of having ESC although not sure to what extent it would've helped here.
Well said, this accident is one of the ideal use cases where ESC saves lives. With ESC this accident would have 100% been avoided, as the system would have cut engine power and braked the outer right wheel when the driver made the second correction to come back to the correct lane.
Old 3rd January 2022, 13:50   #34344
BHPian

I crossed this exact spot few days before following incident, it was early morning around 0700AM and loads of vehicles were trying to make fast progress on the four lane road. My son pointed out water bodies around the road in Gmap and we were soon engulfed in thick fog. To my surprise, all vehicles continued at the same speed, as if fog doesn't obstruct their line of sight.

I recall slowing down by at least 20kmph to ensure sufficient visibility and breaking distance. I made a remark to the family that this kind of fog and carefree driving by almost all vehicles, is perfect recipe for accidents.

Sad to see defensive driving is not taught in India while getting driving license, of course common sense is not so common on our roads .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Fog Causes a serial accident involving over 18 vehicles somewhere near Nelamangala, Bangalore. Over twenty people sustained severe injuries and fractures.
can anyone confirm the exact location? Looks really bad.

Last edited by Acharya : 3rd January 2022 at 13:52.
Acharya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 14:57   #34345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Horn does help sometime. Here is an example. I still had to get off from the tar road and stop my vehicle. Offending truck lost it's left ORVM due to this misadventure.
https://Youtu.be/_1zFFCR9R9Y
Served him right for endangering human lives.
Quote:
but in situation where the only option is to move left, off the road to give way to an incoming car performing a dangerous overtake, it’s better to slow down or stop(with care) rather than going off the road(at which point its difficult to predict car dynamics).
This video is exactly what I was trying to convey through my earlier posts. Guess some people misunderstood, anyways you did the right thing Sir. Had it been me, I wouldn't have gone off road(even more so had it been raining ). Glad that you came out of this unscathed.
MotoBlip is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 20:48   #34346
Senior - BHPian

The biggest mistake of i10's driver was to trust his car a little too much and speed away without applying brakes at the very first sight of the oncoming Hexa. Whenever I drive on such undivided roads, I make a point that my car's speed is well within limits to come out of such scenarios safely, all other factors considered (lack of ESP, bad road design, stupid drivers etc).
I have seen enough of such videos to know that my car cannot come out of such situations properly when driven at high speed, so what do I do? I drive slowly anticipating that I will have to steer left and drive over a non-existent shoulder at any time.
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 21:51   #34347
Senior - BHPian

The reluctance to lose momentum is a major cause of mishaps. It is better to drop speed when necessary, to ensure safety. Most cars are capable of regaining speed fairly quickly.
adisan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 16:42   #34348
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBlip View Post
My dad has a very interesting approach to such situations, he stops the car steadily (obviously talking care not being rear ended) in the middle of the lane such that the car attempting to overtake is forced to push back to his shoulder.

If he does indeed crash, we'd all know whose fault it really was since our car was already stationary and if he still manages to overtake, well, good for him.

This technique works wonders against your average insouciant driver and I have also adopted the same. Would advise to use it only at city speeds, and with utmost precaution on rural roads.
That's a dangerous approach. See the Kwid in this video. It moved right and resulted in massive accident

anb is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 17:09   #34349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That's a dangerous approach. See the Kwid in this video. It moved right and resulted in massive accident

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=BqbNGz3hAJ8
Silly needless accident; there was plenty of space to move aside, the Bolero wasn't intruding that much into the oncoming traffic, although it was a continuous white line of course.

We must be prepared for some give-and-take on Indian roads.

Last edited by itwasntme : 4th January 2022 at 17:39.
itwasntme is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 17:41   #34350
BHPian

Quote:

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=BqbNGz3hAJ8
Even if the approach is misinterpreted, it had never implied that you move in the direction of incoming traffic. The idea is not to teach a lesson(which seems to be the case here) but rather, avoid an accident.

Moving left over the SOLID white line to avoid the pickup could have endangered two wheelers(if any), so would have been best to slow down and stay within the lane. The worst case scenario would have been to stop(yes I'd prefer it to switching lanes), which clearly wasn't necessary here.

Not trying to defend the approach or criticize anyone, just stating facts. Peace ��️

Last edited by MotoBlip : 4th January 2022 at 17:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks