Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2022, 06:18   #34651

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
You couldn't have. At least according to me. Even while anticipating that a cow should appear on your video it's too fast to respond to it.
I think a better question is why do we have all sorts of animals on the roads roaming on the roads? Is this not a safety hazard that puts people's lives at risk?

How can we continue to accept this and allow the authorities to get away with criminal negligence?

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th February 2022 at 09:46.
YK85 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 10:18   #34652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloneatma View Post
Hi All,

But how does one prepare from getting a brain freeze?

Or

how can one avoid getting rear ended by a drunk driver?

Or

Anticipate a stray animal walking right on to your driving path?
There are solutions if you are ready to spend the time and thinking to prepare yourself:
1) Training is how you prepare against getting a brain freeze. Take advanced driving courses. Military commandos can prevent brain freeze and so can we , with proper training
2) Don’t let people tailgate you. Allow them to overtake
3) You can’t tackle this every time but not speeding helps. Thankfully we have cows and not deer. Their body is closer to the ground and so the longitudinal members get a chance to do their job. Brake hard and if you have ABS aim for the stomach of the cow. Only thing is don’t swerve sharply else you’ll roll.

Last edited by StopUnderrides : 27th February 2022 at 10:19. Reason: Grammar
StopUnderrides is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 10:19   #34653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YK85 View Post
I think a better question is why do we have all sorts of animals on the roads roaming on the roads? Is this not a safety hazard that puts people's lives at risk?

How can we continue to accept this and allow the authorities to get away with criminal negligence?
The questions is 'To whom does the animal belong?'. If it is stray dog, authorities can't do much except putting some barriers at places. Cattle on the other hand are owned by people and so there should be a law to not to allow your cattle on roads/highways for grazing and also penalties/IPC code for the owner if the cattle leads to an accident. While cattle is insured (as we just learned on this thread), the owner should be liable to pay for damages to the other party too.

But most of the time the villagers who heard the cattle know that you are not local and so very soon you will go away to your home and not come back to fight.
sunilch is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 21:02   #34654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
I'm surprised at the extent of damage to the car, compared to the almost negligible damage to the sheet metal on the rear of the bus...
The front of the car slid under the extremely rigid chassis at the rear of the bus with its bonnet and the top of everything in the engine bay scrapping and getting ripped off.

There was no direct frontal impact as the front steel member behind the bumper is intact and the airbag sensors didn't get activated as well.

Thankfully the car braked to a halt before the A pillars took a hit keeping the occupants from harm's way.
for_cars1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 09:02   #34655
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
The front of the car slid under the extremely rigid chassis at the rear of the bus with its bonnet and the top of everything in the engine bay scrapping and getting ripped off.
I was referring to the still-ok-looking sheet metal portion at the bottom of the rear of the bus. That surprised me. Even if there is the ladder frame underneath, expected to see atleast some bent/rolled sheet metal
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 11:39   #34656
BHPian

Quote:
One of the car here seems to be the XUV700. Is it the non-ADAS version? Would ADAS have prevented this from happening in the cars that are fitted with those?

Sad to see such a new car in this shape.
The XUV has been rear ended with a heavy shunt. It might be possible that the XUV stopped but hit the front vehicle after being rear ended.
Old 28th February 2022, 16:01   #34657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One of the car here seems to be the XUV700. Is it the non-ADAS version? Would ADAS have prevented this from happening in the cars that are fitted with those?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph1st0 View Post
...In the case of XUV700 most likely not as it is primarily a camera-based system and fog anyhow decreases the visibility...
The XUV700 has a radar+camera fusion system and it would have definitely helped in such a situation. Of course it would depend on what speed the vehicle was at, etc. and even if it could not prevent it, AEB would have reduced the speed of the impact. The truck is a relatively easy object to identify that the radar would have detected in such low visibility conditions.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 17:32   #34658
BHPian

Quote:
I recall a very good advice given to me by my old flatmate from Pune, Mr. Arun Dev, we used to call him IP (Intelligent Person). We were out on a bike ride and an old man was crossing the road slowly. I saw the man crossing in advance, slowed down a bit and just dodged the person.
Thank you for sharing this with us. I have learned something very valuable today.

Quote:

The priority for the XUV was to overtake that Swift and you can see how they went to almost the shoulder while dodging the cow.
As for thinking of roads as a shared space, I think we as a country have a rather long way to go. In my limited experience driving and riding around, I have noticed that there is very little respect for other occupants of public spaces be it vehicles or pedestrians. 'Me, mine and I' is the prevalent attitude which, in my opinion, is largely responsible for both the jams and mishaps that we have here in India.

This is also why I love having a loud horn and bright lights. The former helps in getting people improperly parked on the road blocking traffic without the slightest concern for others commuting on that road. The latter is to give those who don't care for the visibility of others at night a taste of their own medicine.

Apologies for stating the obvious, but I felt it needed to be said.

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th February 2022 at 20:21. Reason: Trimming Quoted posts and Typos.
Old 28th February 2022, 18:23   #34659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
The XUV700 has a radar+camera fusion system and it would have definitely helped in such a situation. Of course it would depend on what speed the vehicle was at, etc. and even if it could not prevent it, AEB would have reduced the speed of the impact. The truck is a relatively easy object to identify that the radar would have detected in such low visibility conditions.
XUV700 has both radar and camera but if I look at the disclaimer list from Mahindra, it gives me a feeling that it is a predominantly camera-based system. Radar is just used to confirm what the camera has detected. It's like if the camera says 'there is obstacle' and radar also says 'there is obstacle', then the probability of an obstacle goes up. But if the camera says 'there is no obstacle', then the system assumes there is no obstacle. I could be wrong but without knowing really how it is implemented, it is all guesswork.
One example from disclaimer list, 'all kinds of vehicles are not detected' or 'only the rear of the vehicles are identified'. Radar can easily detect (distance, velocity, and direction) but it may not classify it correctly but it can still detect.
Meph1st0 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 18:43   #34660
Senior - BHPian

We lost our relative (wife's cousin, he was 33 years old) in a car accident last week. Two families were returning from a trip and their car crashed in to a parked truck at 2.30 a.m. They were just 10 minutes away from their home. Front passenger died on the spot and rear left passenger on the way to the hospital.

Please drive safe, take proper rest, and avoid night driving if possible.

Last edited by Latheesh : 28th February 2022 at 19:08.
Latheesh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 19:25   #34661
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
We lost our relative (wife's cousin, he was 33 years old) in a car accident last week. Two families were returning from a trip and their car crashed in to a parked truck at 2.30 a.m. They were just 10 minutes away from their home. Front passenger died on the spot and rear left passenger on the way to the hospital.

That’s terrible to hear. May god give strength to the family to cope with the loss.

Looking at that footage, seems like the driver did notice the parked truck as the brake lights come on ~2 seconds before the impact. But unfortunately he wasn’t able to stop in time.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 19:29   #34662
BHPian

Quote:

I am super scared of night driving. I don't drive here in India as I don't have a car yet but I did drive for 5 years in US and when we as a family would plan going somewhere which required overnight stay in a hotel, I would plan the hotel and my leaving my home in such a way that I can reach hotel before it gets dark.
raksrules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 19:37   #34663
UMe
BHPian

Quote:

While I cannot guess the circumstances leading to this accident, but I can tell that the road where this happened is accident prone.
This stretch of the bypass road on National Highway 66, between Pilathara and Valappattanam was widened about 3-4 years ago, since then accidents are often heard-off. We can also find a speed camera on this stretch in about 5 kms ahead from this spot, but accidents still occur.

Last edited by UMe : 28th February 2022 at 19:40.
UMe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 20:00   #34664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
their car crashed in to a parked truck at 2.30 a.m.
One of the deceased is from my area in Kannur, and he was known to my father. May their souls Rest in Peace

Any idea if the lorry was parked/stopped close to the kerb or at the centre of the road? we can see a white discontinuous line where the car eventually crashed- could this be the centre line?
sandsun7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 20:28   #34665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Any idea if the lorry was parked/stopped close to the kerb or at the centre of the road? we can see a white discontinuous line where the car eventually crashed- could this be the centre line?
Google Maps satellite view of the area shows one section where the shoulder line is dotted and median line is solid. This seems to be exactly there.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks