Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2022, 00:10   #34801
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Narrow escape for the kid. Quick reflex in correcting course from the bus driver!
Given a bike, but taught anything about roads?

Mind you, yes, it is only a few posts since I told about a stupid thing that I did at maybe twice the age of that kid. I hope he remembers it like I did.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th March 2022 at 13:37. Reason: edited - 'I' to 'he'
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 09:25   #34802
BHPian

Quote:
Narrow escape for the kid. Quick reflex in correcting course from the bus driver!
It looks like the kid probably lost control riding down a slope. The kid doesnt seem to be pedaling in the video clip. The kid and the bus driver had a lucky escape, no doubt. At the same the biker with whom the kid first collided with should consider himself equally lucky too. Also, the bicycle appears to be bigger and not of the right size for the kid looking at his height, which might be one of the reasons for this terrible incident.

Last edited by Emvi : 24th March 2022 at 09:30.
Emvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 09:36   #34803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Add this to the time/money it would take her to get back to her actual stop, she would thought it's better to just deboard right there since the bus had already stopped to pick those two gents up.
I was only referring to getting down from the bus in the MIDDLE of the road sir. She being senior, will have limited mobility and putting herself straight in the line of harm. Isn't it? 2/3 wheelers will be zooming past the bus and she will have no way to escape anyway.
FORTified is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 09:39   #34804
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2287617
Is it just me thinking like this? The bus did course correction but it veered towards the kid, not AWAY from him. Isn't it?
FORTified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 09:49   #34805
avk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
Is it just me thinking like this? The bus did course correction but it veered towards the kid, not AWAY from him. Isn't it?
The first reaction of the bus driver was to veer right on seeing the incoming cycle but after seeing the boy being thrown across the road, there was an immediate correction to the left.
avk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 10:21   #34806
BHPian

Innova car of Actor Simbu involved in an Accident.

Car was driven by a driver and Simbu was not even present inside. Apparently his dad TR was taking a grandson to a clinic. Thankfully TR stopped the Car and ensured prompt medical assistance to the victim. But the old pedestrian who was hit did not survive. No one hurt in the Car. Following contributing factors make it a near 100% mistake with the victim.

1. 7pm time making visibility high risk for jaywalking even by fully able person.
2. Victim was crawling on the road around a bend making visibility a double risk issue especially with a SUVish type vehicle.
3. From CCTV footage high beams from an oncoming vehicle seems to complicate visibility problems. Unfortunately usage of high beams is an ever pervasive menace even in the heart of city roads ☹️

Last edited by venbas : 24th March 2022 at 10:27. Reason: Typos
venbas is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 11:06   #34807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venbas View Post
Innova car of Actor Simbu involved in an Accident.Actor Simbu's Car involved in accident
3. From CCTV footage high beams from an oncoming vehicle seems to complicate visibility problems. Unfortunately usage of high beams is an ever pervasive menace even in the heart of city roads ☹️
Looks like A-pillar is the culprit here. There is no way the driver could have seen the Physically challenged senior crossing the road. Picture of Crysta from T-BHP review. RIP.
Attached Images

Last edited by aadya : 24th March 2022 at 11:11. Reason: additonal info
aadya is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 11:18   #34808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
Looks like A-pillar is the culprit here. There is no way the driver could have seen the Physically challenged senior crossing the road. Picture of Crysta from T-BHP review. RIP.
This is nothing, just see the amount of space covered by the A-pillar in XUV500, Innova is much lean.

I nearly had such an incident during my early years with my XUV500, I make it a point look from the window side(right side of A-pillar) when taking a right-hand turn or even in a ghat section(even though here the right turn is much linear). Better be safe than sorry.
Old 24th March 2022, 11:39   #34809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
This is nothing, just see the amount of space covered by the A-pillar in XUV500, Innova is much lean.

I nearly had such an incident during my early years with my XUV500, I make it a point look from the window side(right side of A-pillar) when taking a right-hand turn or even in a ghat section(even though here the right turn is much linear). Better be safe than sorry.
I empathize with the driver.

I was in the exact same scenario last year, in my dad's Santro. I had absolutely no clue when a disabled person was on his low height mobility contraption moving towards the center of the junction and I was taking a right turn. Luckily my mother spotted him and raised an alarm and I could brake in time.

The problem is that the person expects/thinks the driver sees him and he won't take evasive action or move back.
bejoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 11:46   #34810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
I nearly had such an incident during my early years with my XUV500, I make it a point look from the window side(right side of A-pillar) when taking a right-hand turn or even in a ghat section(even though here the right turn is much linear).
Add XUV300 and Nexon to that as well.

I have had couple of close calls due to the blind spot created. One time it was so close and I was so oblivious to it that it sent chills down my spine.

I also make it a point to look through the window but it is still difficult to spot certain obstacles, especially when so many things are happening around you on a typical Indian road.
krishnakumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 11:50   #34811
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venbas View Post
Innova car of Actor Simbu involved in an Accident.
This is problem with any high set vehicle, and what adds to agony is thick A-pillars. Plus the junction is a catalyst for such an unfortunate accident. I faced a similar situation at one traffic signal in Ahmedabad. There was one beggar just like the one in video, crawling on the road. Even after the traffic lights turn green, I didn't move an inch till I spotted the beggar near rear wheel of my car. Would not blame the driver here, night time, high beams aplenty, a turn where he has to observe traffic from different direction and a high set vehicle. Highly unfortunate that it ended with a fatality.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th March 2022 at 15:17. Reason: typos
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 12:45   #34812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Add XUV300 and Nexon to that as well.

I have had couple of close calls due to the blind spot created. One time it was so close and I was so oblivious to it that it sent chills down my spine.

I also make it a point to look through the window but it is still difficult to spot certain obstacles, especially when so many things are happening around you on a typical Indian road.
While test driving Astor Savvy CVT, I observed a very useful feature where the car was turning on the 360 camera automatically when the indicator was turned on. When I took a left turn, the display unit switched to the camera mode and quickly showed the left side view of the car. I cannot recollect the range of the camera coverage, so not very sure whether this could help in avoiding blindspots, but nevertheless I felt this a useful feature as a first impression. Astor owners can probably comment more on this in the context of real-world usage.

Last edited by skarthiksr : 24th March 2022 at 12:50.
skarthiksr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 12:46   #34813
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2287617
Lucky kid, he was very fast down the slop and at collision with bike, the momentum threw him to other side of the road just in time.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 27th March 2022 at 10:58. Reason: Typo
Old 24th March 2022, 14:30   #34814
BHPian

The importance of dashcams:

A 45 year old motorcyclist died on the spot when his motorcycle drifted to opposite lane and collided head on with a private bus. This happened on 22/3/22 near Pollachi, Tamilnadu. The bus driver was arrested following the accident. But this dashcam evidence would ensure a quick bail and will be helpful during the investigation.

RIP.

The motorcyclist could have drifted to the opposite lane because of momentary lapse of attention, fatigue, alcohol influence or less probably even a suicide. Investigation pending.

There have been times during my rides when I felt too tired to ride anymore. I don't proceed till the point of lapse of attention or momentary shutting of eye but safely stop the motorcycle on the roadside, take a quick nap or drink coffee and proceed only when I am confident I can ride again.
Arwin07 is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 15:04   #34815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
The importance of dashcams:

https://Youtu.be/0NdC8VidK9E

A 45 year old motorcyclist died on the spot when his motorcycle drifted to opposite lane and collided head on with a private bus. This happened on 22/3/22 near Pollachi, Tamilnadu. The bus driver was arrested following the accident. But this dashcam evidence would ensure a quick bail and will be helpful during the investigation......
Good God!
The poor bus driver couldn't have done much to avoid this accident. Thank God for the presence of dashcam, he's likely to get bail.

For those who don't understand or read Tamil: In the video subtitles as well as the narration it is remarked repeatedly that "A 2-wheeler collided with a private bus". This is the first time I'm hearing such a narrative. Usually it is "A (recklessly driven) bus collided into a 2-wheeler". See the difference a simple dashcam video can make!
srvm is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks