Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2022, 20:47   #34831
BANNED

The guy got what he paid for after buying a safe car. Why throw brick bats at him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
While thankfully no lives were lost, I'm beginning to believe these star ratings are giving confidence to owners of such cars to drive recklessly. That when added with the common notion that SUVs are safer because they're bigger and heavier is a recipe for disaster along with the feeling of superiority that comes with an SUV.

We still have a long way to go to reduce accidents and fatalities.
SUV’s though are inherently safer in our country.
As much I dislike them, you have better odds of survival if you hit a truck in a car which sits higher off the ground due to lack of under run bars in our trucks.
My hatchback or sedan will go under a truck and kill me, an SUV may instead hit the crumple zones and save the passengers.
It sucks but the safest highway means of transport is a raised up SUV. I don’t find this attitude of blaming a car owner for being reckless good.
It isn’t as if you don’t find altos and swifts etc being recklessly driven.

Last edited by Aditya : 27th March 2022 at 06:13. Reason: Back to back posts merged
H_Dogg72 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 20:59   #34832
Senior - BHPian

Re: Recklessly driven XUV 700 crashes into T. N. transport bus: SUV's 5 passengers safe!

GTO has pretty well summarized everything in his post:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post4940642 (Small + frugal safety features with a big impact)

I'm an Automotive Engineer and I used to test safety critical systems, Airbag being one among them. I fully endorse this statement by GTO in the above mentioned post.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 21:49   #34833
BHPian

Re: Recklessly driven XUV 700 crashes into T. N. transport bus: SUV's 5 passengers safe!

The biker was destined to be saved by the bus.
He faltered after seeing this overspeeding car and would have got thrown away a 100 meters had the bus not come in between.
God (no specific one intended) exists. See the miracle yourself.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 22:04   #34834
BHPian

IMO, this doesn't warrant a new thread. It should rather go to "Pics: Accidents in India" thread.

Glad to hear that all are safe.

Interesting to see that majority of the comments from Twitter are majorly focused on build quality, safety ratings which is good.

But people should also focus more on discussing things like road safety, better road designs that could have avoided this accident, whose fault etc.

Benefit of Team-BHP forum is that members here share their experiences, tips, safety driving practices etc. this is helpful to us and folks outside this forum.

Posts here are not repetitive, limited but extremely useful and are life-long lessons.

Last edited by Bhupesh_2628 : 26th March 2022 at 22:33. Reason: Added little more info
Bhupesh_2628 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 23:19   #34835
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Add XUV300 and Nexon to that as well.
And the Ecosport too. The A pillar is so thick it would hide a biker fully. I am doubly careful with blindspots in the A pillar.
veyron_head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 01:45   #34836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Narrow escape for the kid. Quick reflex in correcting course from the bus driver!

Attachment 2287617
Oh my God. Jesus!

That was very lucky and incredible stupid of that person to have just flown though the highway like that.

I've seen this many times. In cities and the country. Some people think that they just belt it through an intersection and everyone else can take a hike. Even with red-lights and policing like cameras and cops. They just don't seem to care for themselves or others.

It's sad to see a nation developing in other ways. Infrastructure and (finally) power and dynamically rounded cars available, etc. Yet, our driving skills and sense seems to be getting worse because of urbanization spreading and powerful vehicles being more easily available and I live in the NCR area Delhi/Haryana. I've observed this over the last 15 years in Gurgaon where I spent my teens and still travel everyday.

It's infuriating to say the least.

Cheers to this forum for its users being some of the most informed road users in the country!

Last edited by libranof1987 : 27th March 2022 at 08:23. Reason: Typo
Thegermanbadger is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 08:08   #34837
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
I'm an Automotive Engineer and I used to test safety critical systems, Airbag being one among them. I fully endorse this statement by GTO in the above mentioned post.
I was going to say that Mahindra needs to idiot proof their cars, but you’ve put it in a bit more diplomatic manner.
Old 27th March 2022, 09:07   #34838
Senior - BHPian

I think this needs to be made clear. Here's what the NCAP frontal offset deformable barrier test represents:
A car-to-car crash representing two cars of similar weight and bumper height crashing into each other off-centre with about 50% overlap, each travelling towards each other at a speed much lower than 64km/h (it's impossible to say but it's around 50-55km/h).

Quote:
The impact speed of 64 km/h was chosen on the basis of accident analyses carried out for EEVC Working Group 11, which developed the European test procedure.

An analysis of available frontal impact accident research concluded that a crash test, which replicated a car to car crash at 55 km/h, would address just under half of the serious and fatal casualties (AIS23). Reducing that speed to 50 km/h would address few such casualties, whereas, increasing the speed to 60 km/h would address about two thirds of them (Table 1).

No direct comparison exists to relate the impact speed in an ODB test to its equivalent speed in a car to car crash, between similar cars. In the car to car impact, each car has to absorb its own impact energy. In an ODB test, the deformable barrier absorbs some of the impact energy. The amount of energy it absorbs depends upon how the car’s structure loads the honeycomb. In comparative tests using a modem family size car, a car to car crash at 55 km/h was more severe than an ODB test at 65 km/h. This car loaded the deformable barrier relatively uniformly, such that the barrier would be quite efficient in
absorbing energy. Future car designs are likely to load the deformable barrier at least as well. In this way, the designer can minimise the amount of energy his car has to absorb.
(Development of the European New Car Assessment Programme; TRL)

I'm really glad the XUV700 could mitigate life-threatening or disabling injury in this crash and in this case I wouldn't be surprised if the NCAP rating did have something to do with it. But I think the driver got slightly lucky (besides the fact that he crashed) in that he crashed into the wheel and not the side of the bus.

In a car-to-car crash energy dissipation takes place primarily through the front longitudinals, two steel beams that sit behind the bumper, very low to the ground and nearer the centre of the car.

Name:  image001.png
Views: 878
Size:  157.3 KB

These are intended to load the bumper of the opposing car in a crash, or in the case of the Global NCAP frontal offset test, the blue deformable barrier.

If you crash into the rear or side of a commercial vehicle that sits high to the ground, it's very likely these members will be bypassed ('underride'). That's why I think it's important that this particular car crashed into the wheel.

Remember, NCAP ratings have all the limitations of a laboratory test. They're consumer ratings for everyday car buyers who will do a normal mix of city and interurban driving. I don't think the premise of 'buying a safer car because you'll do a lot of highway driving' is right because there's no test to represent those crashes. You don't buy a BEE five star rated refrigerator and leave the door open 'because it's five star rated'.

I'm not saying you shouldn't buy a safer car, and I completely support what NCAPs are trying to do, all I'm saying is that if you buy a safer car with the intention of driving in a more careless manner then you'd probably be better off driving a car that meets basic UN regulation knowing it's a deathtrap than driving a five star car assuming it's a tank. A five star car would be most effective if you drove it knowing it's a deathtrap too, though it is more likely to protect better in a limited number of common crashes. In certain crashes a five star car could provide protection to the degree of even full integrity of body parts, in a lower rated car, in the same crash you could face a serious risk of disabling injuries or in the case of zero and one star cars even life-threatening injuries. But you shouldn't assume that five stars=full integrity holds true for crashes other than the kind the NCAP tests represent.

The point of an NCAP rating is to provide a comparison for a shopper but there are many types of crashes (and not just high-speed crashes) where every car in a segment would prove equally dangerous, which is why NCAPs find it pointless to test for them because they wouldn't be able to assign a comparative rating. There are multiple quacks on YouTube today trying to promote five star cars based on real-world crashes where they happened to protect even if the configuration was not remotely related to the kind of crashes the car is engineered to handle, supposedly 'proving its build quality'. And in case the car couldn't prevent fatal injury, the excuse is 'it would've been worse if there was a lower rated car'. Worse how?

Last edited by ron178 : 27th March 2022 at 09:34.
ron178 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 09:22   #34839
BHPian

Father and daughter killed as ebike kept on charge overnight explodes and fire spreads fuelled by the ICE bike parked adjacent to it. This happened in Vellore, TN. There is no mention of the make of the ebike in the article. The father and daughter tried to take refuge in the bathroom of their house in a bid to stay away from smoke that filled the house which was poorly ventilated. Maybe they were not able to go outside as the vehicles most probably would have been parked outside the main door. May the departed souls RIP.
https://m.timesofindia.com/city/chen...w/90467192.cms

Last edited by marsbhp : 27th March 2022 at 09:30. Reason: Spelling mistake correction and url correction
marsbhp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 10:50   #34840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Not to mention all the idiocy revolving around the fanboy comments about build quality, thereby throwing shade on other manufacturers. We’re a confused lot, as a nation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
I may be wrong here but somehow I get a feeling that some 5 star car owners have mis-interpreted it for invincibility rather than a safety net in case of an accident.
But since I don't have any data to show for it I will restrict it to a "feeling".

In this case though it seems more like a case of misjudgement by the 700 driver who was probably expecting the bus to stop before crossing and his overspeeding near an intersection didn't help much.

I wonder if collision detection, if available on the car would've been able to avoid the crash.
Basically, It is a typical TN Accident scenario. It has nothing to do with the so called invincibility or NCAP rating. All tom, dick & harry drives like that.

TN highways are very famous or say notorious for such accidents. I have traveled across the length and breadth of the country and can easily say that the TN Highways have the maximum number of barricade posts in a junction. It seems this particular Junction didn't have any.

Anyway, silver lining of such vlogs emphasizing about built quality is that we are having a good choice of cars with a better star ratings, compared to 5 years back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
GTO has pretty well-summarized everything in his post:
Exactly & well put. Thanks for pointing out this interesting thread.

I would say the biker & his pillion should thank the TN bus driver for saving their lives.

Last edited by Vasuki : 27th March 2022 at 10:53.
Vasuki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 11:15   #34841
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Lucky kid, he was very fast down the slop and at collision with bike, the momentum threw him to other side of the road just in time.
Other fortunate factors:
The bike rider was not impacted
There were no vehicles in the opposite direction when the kid was thrown
Exceptional focus and reflexes from the bus driver. The bicycle was too fast from a very short distance ahead.
adisan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 12:48   #34842
Senior - BHPian

This was a demo car and not a customer car.
HappyWheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 17:20   #34843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsbhp View Post
As usual the Media is not naming the manufacturers who made such life threatening bikes. A 2 day old eBike catching fire on overnight charging is QC gone missing. Even if the voltage was varying there should be cutoff mechanisms to prevent such a adverse situation getting life threatening bad
venbas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 09:31   #34844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The five star safety rating of the XUV 700 is credited for saving all the five passengers.
Pardon my ignorance. I'm quite an illiterate. Wondering why didn't the tech like ADAS etc. kick in? I suppose it includes automatic emergency braking? Is this another incident that proves that crashes and situations leading to one in real life are vastly different and unpredictable than the ones simulated in lab or lab-like conditions?

Last edited by kpkeerthi : 28th March 2022 at 09:35.
kpkeerthi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 11:11   #34845
BHPian

I see this trend in social media where people says, 'Higher safety rating vehicles gives over confident to drivers to drive recklessly'. I cannot agree on this, a human with basic sense will never do that. Nobody wants to end up in an accident in any form. Only senseless will take that approach and he will take that even in a 0 star rating car as well.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed