Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2022, 22:39   #35086
BANNED

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
The risk with depending on a horn to intimidate others is, it will only work till you come face to face with someone who has a bigger/louder horn than you.
I kept the the car bone stock for over 12,000 km but was forced to amass lights and horns for barely surviving the road. I used to drive by night almost all the time till a while ago and have found flashing 4 Rally 4000s or 8 40w LED cubes and blipping a pair each of supertones, megasonics and bosch europas in unison was aiding my defensive manoeuers a lot with most of the folks assuming me to be driving a much larger vehicle. My journey times have changed nowadays with them mostly being day drives. I think I had become too adapted to night drives and have to relearn day driving again! My lights are left lying in the boot and the megasonics and Europa's removed permanently to facilitate air flow, I must learn to remember that the oncoming behemoths know I am driving a tiny Figo and need to scamper out of their way quicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
BTW, which car do you drive? I'm asking this to understand the size of the ORVMs. I would be eager to know what happened after the U-turn? Did you chase the truck?

Spike
It is a Figo 1.5D. It was a pretty close shave. He pulled over but refused to pay, I was late for church, and only the mirror was broken not the whole assembly. I expected it to cost 500rs so I wasnt keen on getting compensated but I wanted to get him to be more accommodating. When I shared the video, he cringed and started foul mouthing in fear. I had the family in tow with my toddlers peering out of the window and decided to let go. I might have made him stand there and seethe for a few hours just to give a lesson in patience by just whispering the same thing again and again while watching him crumble around himself had I had the time and been alone but, family first.

I have sustained the same damage five years ago with a swift overtaking another car which in turn was overtaking another car! I spent 470rs but I had noticed the Swift's motorized ORVM rolling on tarmac like a coconut.

I checked for the price of the mirror in Amazon after returning home. It was 268 rs. I heaved a sigh of relief.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 25th April 2022 at 22:49.
COMMUTER is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 02:14   #35087
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudeep Lakhotia View Post
Fortunately and by Almighty's grace he is not in danger but has around 6 fractures...
My hands have been shivering since last 4 hours, I just am not able to comprehend anything.
Wishing you strength and a speedy recovery to your father. Hope everything gets back to better than before very soon.
One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 11:05   #35088
BANNED

Quote:
Fortunately and by Almighty's grace he is not in danger but has around 6 fractures, one at some bone in the neck area (cannot recall the proper name) , four in the ribs and one minor fracture at the lower back also a big wound at the area above left eyebrow. The doctor says he will wait to decide if CT scan needs to be done.
May God strengthen you at this time of need. I wish your father a speedy and full recovery.
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 08:51   #35089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
This is an excerpt taken from the Motor Vehicles (Driving) Regulations, 2017
Under Point 9 (page 20), it is clearly mentioned as given below:
I had a similar experience few days ago near ShanthiNagar,Bangalore.
Even though, I have the Right of Way, I had to slowdown as I do not want to fight with him.

First goal is to avoid a Crash, when the other driver doesn't know the rule.

With so many intersections in Cities, and with a high % of drivers not aware of basic road rules like Yielding, Right of Way etc; our average speed also drops. Suggest ways on how to handle this
chaitanyakrish is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 10:44   #35090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
With so many intersections in Cities, and with a high % of drivers not aware of basic road rules like Yielding, Right of Way etc; our average speed also drops. Suggest ways on how to handle this
Make yourself a nice playlist to play in the car. Average speed is not going to increase anytime soon, it might get decreased further since more vehicles are getting sold every year and our infra isn't going anywhere near to solve these issues.
prajwalmr62 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 11:14   #35091
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
Even though, I have the Right of Way, I had to slowdown as I do not want to fight with him.
Follow the advice my grandfather gave to me. Always remember that the objective of every journey is to safely arrive at your destination in a calm & happy state of mind. What anyone else does is their business, you are not out there to reform the world.

Coming to people merging from minor roads into main roads, I used to get very annoyed with people joining without looking (and vice versa - people behind me get very annoyed with me when I pause before joining a main road ). Some years ago, my colleague bought a Brio and was learning to drive. She was taking lessons from a locally reputable driving school. A few months later, she admitted to still not being confident taking the car out on main roads. So I volunteered to ride shotgun with her for a few days commuting 11km from home to office through some rather bad traffic. On the first day, about 100m into the commute, she joined a main road from a small residential street, turning left (just like that mini truck in your dashcam video) without pausing to check for traffic. When I told her that she needed to check before turning, she tells me that her instructor told her that its OK, others will notice and give way!!

So, if that is what a driving school instructor is telling his/her students, I am not surprised that nobody knows the meaning of "right of way".

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 27th April 2022 at 11:23.
KiloAlpha is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 00:07   #35092
BHPian

Quote:
I am typing this from the hospital, dad has been operated upon and is currently Fortunately and by Almighty's grace he is not in danger but has around 6 fractures, one at some bone in the neck area (cannot recall the proper name) , four in the ribs and one minor fracture at the lower back also a big wound at the area above left eyebrow. The doctor says he will wait to decide if CT scan needs to be done. Somewhat relief comes from the fact that police and roadways department officer immediately arrived at the hospital and asked for whatever help is required. My hands have been shivering since last 4 hours, I just am not able to comprehend anything.
May he get well soon. I wish him a speedy recovery.
NG_EV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 10:32   #35093
BHPian

This happened a few days back on the Trichy - Lalgudi NH81 in the wee hours. Apparently two groups of friends were racing or rather tried racing each other (DUI). One of the vehicles hit another and then Ford Ecosport rammed straight in to a tree. Look how the A pillar has caved in. Can't believe such an unsafe car exists on our roads. Both driver and passenger of Ecosport pronounced dead on the spot. One another commercial vehicle also involved. No casualties with the Hyundai driver.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_1224.jpegAccidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_1225.jpegAccidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_1226.jpeg
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 10:42   #35094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
One of the vehicles hit another and then Ford Ecosport rammed straight in to a tree. Look how the A pillar has caved in. Can't believe such an unsafe car exists on our roads.
I won't be surprised if I saw a Merc S Class in that condition after hitting a tree. Unless there was something mechanically wrong with the car, don't put any blame on it.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 10:53   #35095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ford Ecosport rammed straight in to a tree. Look how the A pillar has caved in. Can't believe such an unsafe car exists on our roads.
Mr. Thad E Ginathom has quite clearly and repeatedly expressed the point that you miss here:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post4579287

Quote:
tree or pole against car is an unfair contest: the car will loose, and in ways quite horrible to its occupants.
binand is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 12:46   #35096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apparently two groups of friends were racing or rather tried racing each other (DUI). One of the vehicles hit another and then Ford Ecosport rammed straight in to a tree. Look how the A pillar has caved in. Can't believe such an unsafe car exists on our roads.
You have mentioned DUI/racing as well as un-safe car in the same para.

DUI/racing will make any car un-safe, not just an Ecosport. Forget the A pillar, that car doesn't have a front.
tharian is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 12:49   #35097
BHPian

Quote:
One of the vehicles hit another and then Ford Ecosport rammed straight in to a tree. Look how the A pillar has caved in. Can't believe such an unsafe car exists on our roads. Both driver and passenger of Ecosport pronounced dead on the spot.
I don't understand this obsession of members here to judge cars without any factual evidence of the accident.

I see this especially with Maruti cars, but now it seems even Fords will not be spared.

We can do better for sure.
nitkel is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 13:14   #35098
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Mr. Thad E Ginathom has quite clearly and repeatedly expressed the point that you miss here:
Thanks. I was about to do so again and you saved me the trouble.

Trees kill. I doubt that even one of those multi-ton cars like RR or Bentley can beat them!

Guys, just remember the famous poem...
I doubt that I shall ever see;
A thing as dangerous as a tree...
OK, OK, I very freely adapted, or even butchered it. But if it helps to stick in the memory, perhaps it is worth it!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 28th April 2022 at 13:21.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 13:56   #35099
BHPian

Quote:
Look how the A pillar has caved in. Can't believe such an unsafe car exists on our roads. Both driver and passenger of Ecosport pronounced dead on the spot. One another commercial vehicle also involved. No casualties with the Hyundai driver.
If the Ecosport is 'such an unsafe car', god bless the Marutis, Hyundai and Kias

Trees are very strong, a high speed collision with a tree is a tough scenario for any car.

RIP and no disrespect intended but as they say, do stupid things win stupid prizes!

Last edited by Candy$Cars : 28th April 2022 at 13:58.
Candy$Cars is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 11:15   #35100
Senior - BHPian

Didn't see this reported here:

https://www.onmanorama.com/news/kera...ne-killed.html

Paraphrasing JRRT:

Still round the corner there may wait
A new hitch or a deadly fate

Most Viewed